• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hail Mary

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
With all this hoopla about folks kneeling for the anthem and what not, had a idea. Ive made a few big fuck ups over my short life, not realizing they'd have serious permanent consequences. Got a few arrests on my record for retarded albeit nonviolent offenses and lo and behold our current military don't want no previous drug offenders and such. I had one foot in the door after a near perfect ASVAB score and a fast track 18X SF contract ready to kick ass when my background check came back and they said sorry no dice.
Seeing as how we now have a president who seems to have much respect for the American fighting man, I figured maybe a hail mary letter to appeal to his senses just might be worth a shot. Years past lots of offenders got the choice to go to boot camp instead of jail, that aint the case no more. And personally I cant think of a more expendable demographic! I been on the straight and narrow for a while now, and all I wanna do is serve the nation. They want the best and brightest.. well, I scored so high they told me I could choose anything - Nuclear engineer or some shit like that. All I wanna do is get a chance to be a Ranger. That's it. Jump outta helos and take down some hardcore homicidal motherfuckers. What a yall think? With the right persuasiveness to Mr Trump and possibly Mattis, maybe they could grease my way through entry into our armed forces? I know its a long shot.. but otoh, might work?

An unasked question is never answered.
From what I'm reading, your troubled past is largely due to your superior intellect falling into the clutches of boredom and lack of stimulation.
Sounds perfect for the military.

Just remember that nuclear engineers, especially those who make it through Groton, get really good jobs after serving.

Rangers have a lot of fun, but there is not a large market for people who jump out of Helo's, blow things up and are capable of breaking anvils and unravelling ball-bearings.

Take advantage of those high scores.... and use the Military Education system to get an engineering or medical degree while you are at it. Seriously....

If you want to put the combination of high-scores and want for action together... go for a medical field. Get yourself qualified as a medic then go for Flight Medic status with something like 160th... or as a SF medic. Or pull for medic in one of the combat divisions. At least that has a high-paying future... and if you're good at it, the army will pay for continuing education up to and including medical school....

Cheers,

Sirhr

From what I'm reading, your troubled past is largely due to your superior intellect falling into the clutches of boredom and lack of stimulation.

Certainly is part of that, along with having a older brother that I placed just one step below Jesus Christ who truly wasn't real bright and who I emulated in trying to impress the cool crowd. I just feel theres an opportunity being missed here on all sides. All these people wasting time being let down cause some athletes aint rooting for the right side, fuck em. We got tons a shitheads in Syria, NK, etc and theres no one that'd raise their hand to be dropped in the thick of it quicker than me. I'm sure theres many others in a similar situation. I aint got asthma, epilepsy, or anything like that. No problem with discipline, etc. If only Id been old enough to get in during middle of the surge, I'm sure a waiver woulda been no problem back then.

While I agree that one should try, the reality is that its most unlikely either of them will ever see it, and you'll get an irritating form letter back. Dont have too high of hopes.

On the scoring real high and them telling you "You qualify for everything" beware of 'recruiterspeak'. When I went for my draft physical and tests in '68', thats what they told me. I buddy who had btdt told me "Thats Marine Corps recruiterspeak for 'Infantry'.";)

You might of missed your chance when Obam was in.

Had you exposed your blatant trans sexualism they would have made you a general and had all the troops calling you "They".

Good luck in your endeavors. I understand everything can be waivered.

If you are putting together a jacket to try and promote yourself why not do some volunteer work at the VA or a Fisher House .

Im sure staff would be willing to attest to your character and desire to atone for past sins as well you will get an understanding of the realities of the life you seek and the warriors that have been there and sacrificed.

Give it a shot, take any MOS they give you, make sure you get airborne school as part of contract. From there you can move around, especially into combat arms job. Good luck to you, if you get through jump school I will ride up to see you graduate and buy all your beers.

A buddy of mine petitioned HQMC to let him back in at 44yrs old, after having been separated for over 20 years. The "rules are the rules", intransigent, "the answer is always NO" Marine Corps granted him an exception and not only let him back in, but he ended up running Indoc/RIP for a MARSOC unit. Not one of us thought he had a fuckin chance of ever getting back in. Hell, I'd been separated 6 months at that point and just been told no on a prior service enlistment.

A properly worded letter can't hurt, getting your congressman/Senator to push it for you is even better. Used to be a felony was the big no-go for the simple fact of having access to firearms. Short of a felony or DV conviction you may have a shot. Hell, if it weren't for the SF component of your contract you may have been okay. SF and a few other fields require a higher clearance than a basic enlistment.

That shouldnt be a hold up as even though the charge itself may be considered felony, I did a pre trial diversion and was never "convicted" of said felony. Apparently .mil looks at everything the same though, expunged or not.

Go to mexico, get a tan and learn some spanish. Cross back over the border with no documents and sign up for daca. Not only will Trump offer amnesty, you'll have protected status (ie more rights than citizens).

As I recall, we had this conversation when you were trying to join up last time. I think I said you had a chance then, but a lot of it comes down to how bad the services are in need of folks at that time. Right now, not so much...

Even during the hey-day of the wars the Army wasn't approving felony waivers, only the Corps was. I sent the Army the tatted up and ASVAB Cat IV or GED guys I couldn't process, they sent me the criminals. Typically felony level larceny/theft type stuff got approved, worse not so much and drug related definitely no-go. Juvenile level and single incident, straight and narrow since, smart, letters of recommendation, church-goer, community/school leader, no drug history, etc, all played into those getting approved, as I did have some that didn't even get a look as they didn't meet enough of those requirements. Biggest restriction for felony level moral waivers once approved is no MOS field that required a security clearance (18x would definitely be out), so basic grunts, transport, supply, etc. Pre-trial intervention typically involves a no-contest plea deal (same as guilty plea in services' eyes), and no, expunged/sealed doesn't mean shit to the services and other security clearance related processing, only an outcome ruling of "innocent/not guilty" does. The ETNAC check reveals all, even dropped charges and thrown out cases. Every situation is different of course and understand nobody other than you wants you in boots more than that recruiting command does, they will pull every string to do so inside their rules. No idea on current felony waiver processing, but I do know it went away a few years back when Afghanistan was winding down and the Corps was downsizing again.

In any case, best of luck with it.

As I recall, we had this conversation when you were trying to join up last time. I think I said you had a chance then, but a lot of it comes down to how bad the services are in need of folks at that time. Right now, not so much...

Even during the hey-day of the wars the Army wasn't approving felony waivers, only the Corps was. I sent the Army the tatted up and ASVAB Cat IV or GED guys I couldn't process, they sent me the criminals. Typically felony level larceny/theft type stuff got approved, worse not so much and drug related definitely no-go. Juvenile level and single incident, straight and narrow since, smart, letters of recommendation, church-goer, community/school leader, no drug history, etc, all played into those getting approved, as I did have some that didn't even get a look as they didn't meet enough of those requirements. Biggest restriction for felony level moral waivers once approved is no MOS field that required a security clearance (18x would definitely be out), so basic grunts, transport, supply, etc. Pre-trial intervention typically involves a no-contest plea deal (same as guilty plea in services' eyes), and no, expunged/sealed doesn't mean shit to the services and other security clearance related processing, only an outcome ruling of "innocent/not guilty" does. The ETNAC check reveals all, even dropped charges and thrown out cases. Every situation is different of course and understand nobody other than you wants you in boots more than that recruiting command does, they will pull every string to do so inside their rules. No idea on current felony waiver processing, but I do know it went away a few years back when Afghanistan was winding down and the Corps was downsizing again.

In any case, best of luck with it.

Shit! I was under impression Army was more likely to accept folks with a rap sheet. So drug charges = no go? Do you know of any exceptions? Also, I thought there was something about if the charge was 10+ years old then you're good to go? So worst case I could get in around 29-30y/o..? Man wtf I just wanna go fight this is bullshit. Fuckin stamp EXPENDABLE on my forehead and throw me in the meat grinder, I don't even care at this point if I don't get to be in/under SOCOM.
Reckon if worse comes to worst I can learn French and go FFL. Not real keen on fighting for another country but damn it man, they're fighting the same enemy as us so I figure close enough.

Shit! I was under impression Army was more likely to accept folks with a rap sheet. So drug charges = no go? Do you know of any exceptions? Also, I thought there was something about if the charge was 10+ years old then you're good to go? So worst case I could get in around 29-30y/o..? Man wtf I just wanna go fight this is bullshit. Fuckin stamp EXPENDABLE on my forehead and throw me in the meat grinder, I don't even care at this point if I don't get to be in/under SOCOM.
Reckon if worse comes to worst I can learn French and go FFL. Not real keen on fighting for another country but damn it man, they're fighting the same enemy as us so I figure close enough.

Don't worry about learning French before you go. They'll teach you.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

Bonne chance!

For the USMC, and I believe all the rest of the branches as well, anything that carried "possession with intent to distribute" or greater were an absolute no-go. Simple possession under 20g and/or paraphernalia, that was an easy waiver. This was for the final charge upon conviction, I do know of one that was charged with intent, later reduced upon conviction that got in, but that was an exception rather than a rule.

Time from the incident is definitely a player as some have a required time since completion of sentence to even be eligible, but still has a lot to do with the charges being talked about. Every case is different, and timing has a lot to do with it as well. End of the FY (that hits 1 Oct) and they haven't made mission yet is also a player, but we're too close to Friday for that to be a factor this year.

Legion, always a player if you don't mind funny hats and goofy rifles, and I would certainly learn French before hand. At least the French have wine in their MREs. Seriously, they're awesome too.

For the USMC, and I believe all the rest of the branches as well, anything that carried "possession with intent to distribute" or greater were an absolute no-go. Simple possession under 20g and/or paraphernalia, that was an easy waiver. This was for the final charge upon conviction, I do know of one that was charged with intent, later reduced upon conviction that got in, but that was an exception rather than a rule.

Time from the incident is definitely a player as some have a required time since completion of sentence to even be eligible, but still has a lot to do with the charges being talked about. Every case is different, and timing has a lot to do with it as well. End of the FY (that hits 1 Oct) and they haven't made mission yet is also a player, but we're too close to Friday for that to be a factor this year.

Legion, always a player if you don't mind funny hats and goofy rifles, and I would certainly learn French before hand. At least the French have wine in their MREs. Seriously, they're awesome too.

There was no intent to distribute tacked on AFAIK.

FL mostly get used in Africa right? If I went that direction, you think theres a good chance Id see some action? In your experience tho, youd say they were some pretty high quality troops/well trained? I aint totally opposed to it and if some type of waiver dont come my way / no hot spots start ratcheting up, it may be my only option. Might even grab a French chick to bring home with me who knows. Wanna gett in the fight before Im too old though for sure.

In my interactions with them in Afghanistan, the FFL were spot on and definitely more dangerously tasked than regular French Army who hardly left Kabul valley. Yes, Africa is common for them best of my knowledge, not sure how active Mali is right now though but that was their biggest push the last few years.

In my interactions with them in Afghanistan, the FFL were spot on and definitely more dangerously tasked than regular French Army who hardly left Kabul valley. Yes, Africa is common for them best of my knowledge, not sure how active Mali is right now though but that was their biggest push the last few years.

Just curious, you encounter any Americans with the FFL?

That shouldnt be a hold up as even though the charge itself may be considered felony, I did a pre trial diversion and was never "convicted" of said felony. Apparently .mil looks at everything the same though, expunged or not.

An Alford Plea is the same as pleading guilty on paper. Just say'n.

The OP sounds to me like he has some problems beyond his felony convictions.
A person who "has put it all behind me" over ten years ago, is supposed to have done something with his life by now. Finished college, obtained a trade, gotten full time employment...hell, SOMETHING.
Second, these posts both in this thread and the Rapone thread seem desperate. Thinking a Tweet is going to get POTUS to give him a presidential waiver? Please.
Redmans replies are solid. And as he said, no way any MOS requiring any level of security clearance is going to be available.
Besides getting past recruitment, every single command a person with this type of history goes to will see him as a risk, not just due to his prior convictions, and type of convictions, but also due to his Death Wish attitude.
I know I wouldn't want him as one of my medics.
FFL may be just the place for him. Any decent private organization is going to take a pass.

Last edited:
I went through basic with a bloke who had minor convictions and was told by his local police that he either joined the military or they would see he did time. He marched out as the best soldier from the platoon.
Yet another bloke I was in basic with that had a troubled past got booted after he snapped on a female NCO that was giving him s#@t. He was tough as nails, but should have swallowed his pride and kept his mouth shut. Anyway I remember all the other NCOs saying he should join the foreign legion.

A person who "has put it all behind me" over ten years ago, is supposed to have done something with his life by now. Finished college, obtained a trade, gotten full time employment...hell, SOMETHING.
Second, these posts both in this thread and the Rapone thread seem desperate. Thinking a Tweet is going to get POTUS to give him a presidential waiver? Please.
Redmans replies are solid. And as he said, now way any MOS requiring any level of security clearance is going to be available.
Besides getting past recruitment, every single comand a person with this typeof history goes to will see him as a risk, not just due to his prior convictions, and type of convictions, but also due to his Death Wish attitude.
FFL may be just the place for him. Any decent private organization is going to take a pass.

Well reasoned and spoken. Life is a series of doors through which we either can or can't pass, based upon the decisions that we make. Some, unfortunately, are probably pretty much nailed shut in this case.

I don't pre-judge too much on people's backgrounds from their juvie years, most I served with (myself included) were far from angels and boy scouts that simply didn't get caught, has little bearing on how they are after they mature a bit. As a recruiter 03-06, I wrote more than a few felony waivers that were typically just dumb mistake kind of things. None got in trouble later, all served honorably.

One stands out more than the rest though. I enlisted a young man (and later his younger brother) who was raised by a single mom who worked too hard as a teacher and a second job to be able both make ends meet and keep a close eye on her kids. The two under 16 y/o brothers went joy riding on a mini-bike that was sitting outside a neighbor's shed, got caught and the owner had a hard-on for pressing max charges, so with the value of the bike they went down for grand theft. Did their probation and community service, mom whooped that ass, they came out wiser and humbled as a result. The oldest enlisted, all he wanted to do was be a grunt at a time that the war was going full steam. He was in Iraq on a mounted patrol as the gunner on a .50 when his section took a hard ambush, blew him out of the turret with the first RPG and knocked him briefly unconscious. When he came to, they were taking heavy PKM and RPG fire, men and trucks down, a real shit sandwich. He climbed back on his smoldering truck and got on the vacant .50 to help lay down hate, and they were able to suppress the ambush until the QRF arrived. He was awarded a NMCAM w/V and Purple Heart for that, because of course LCPL don't rate real medals for actions, those are reserved for 1stSgts and up that never leave the wire. That's the life of the Marine grunt, although I believe he rated at a minimum a BS w/V if not a SS. He's now a successful business owner with a beautiful family, and I continue to wish both him and his family the best. While I was just his recruiter who simply did my job to write a contract and put someone in boots, I'm proud as hell of that man and am damn glad I gave him the chance to follow his dream of being a Marine like his grandfather.

My point being, almost all of us have done something that if caught would have landed us on the wrong side of the law. I feel strongly that zero defect mentality is a defect in of itself, that at least for the low level stuff (fuck rapists and whatnot) should not hold someone back for the rest of their lives.

The FFL guys are badasses and true professionals from what little I know of them. Two Marine buddies of mine already had the reporting info and were one life event away from saying fuckit and dropping off the grid into the Legion. Keep in mind that there are no French troops in the Legion (but the officers are?) and they're typically given taskings that the French Army isn't going to get. One of my colleagues towards the end of Afgh was a retired FFL guy from Canada running a team of Gurkhas and he and his guys were the absolute consummate professional soldiers.

In a different life (where I'd been caught for half the shit I did) I could've happily joined the Legion and disappeared. Remember that it's not a "traditional" service and joining (and making it through training) means that you are going to be basically gone for extended periods. From the few of their guys I've partied with though, it seems like one helluva fraternity to belong to. IIRC, at the end of whatever period of obligation you're eleigible for a new identity, passport, etc. and they protect their guys from any authorities that may come knocking at the gate. It may be a rather drastic solution to your problem, but they seem to get trigger time, and they get it away from the media spotlight.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the second page and was late to the party. I never gave two fucks where some guy came from or what his past was. All that matters is how you conduct yourself once you're in. Any decent grunt platoon has some guys with questionable backgrounds.

Last edited:
Redmans replies are solid. And as he said, now way any MOS requiring any level of security clearance is going to be available.
Besides getting past recruitment, every single comand a person with this typeof history goes to will see him as a risk, not just due to his prior convictions, and type of convictions, but also due to his Death Wish attitude.

You read me wrong. Aint been 10 years. I was saying in the future, after its been 10 years. Aint gotta death wish either, I plan on coming back alive. But I dont wanna ride a desk. FWIW, Im in college and will be finished soon, I aint just twiddling my thumbs.

You read me wrong. Aint been 10 years. I was saying in the future, after its been 10 years. Aint gotta death wish either, I plan on coming back alive. But I dont wanna ride a desk. FWIW, Im in college and will be finished soon, I aint just twiddling my thumbs.

Coyote don't take this as offensive if anything it is envious......you are young and in some part immature. I'm guessing you are about 25 maybe younger.

In other words typical of your age.

I don't think anyone really "got it" until they were 25 in my time and now I think that maturity may not come until the 30s now.

Your desire is to be commended.

This is your second or third post along these lines.

If you want to do it you are going to have to do something a little extra to earn it I guess. Do some VA volunteer work, suck your congressmens dick, do something to pad the resume.

Each prior post has gotten same good advice.

Time to attack. If you are the fighter you want to be you will get there.

Talking to the Hide about again and again is shoveling against the tide.