• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hard case for two scoped rifles?

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
I am looking to upgrade rifles cases over the cheap case I have been using for years. I would like to be able to carry my .223 and .308 in the same case if possible, as they usually travel together. I was looking at some Pelican cases and found the 1750 to be long enough to fit both rifles, but am not sure it is tall enough to fit both in with the foam cut to fit. I also saw the 1770 which gives a bit more room, but am not even sure that would work.

Any suggestions on a hard case for two scoped rifles? The case would need to be able to hold a rifle with an overall length of 48".

Any pics of a double rifle case would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hard case for two scoped rifles?

Hunting rifles with 40mm scopes, the Pelican can do it. I think it'd be real tight with "tactical" rifles.

I've got a Pelican 1750 cut for two hunting rifles, works well.

1750 will fit no problem. I only have 1 rifle in the case, but I just tested it with 2. Make sure you leave a couple inches of foam around both guns.

Hi, IF the P/1750 won't work call Americase in Tx. they can custom make you a case. They are NOT cheap, but you will NEVER worry about your "toys" that are inside one of their cases.
Respectfully,
LG

I have a SKB double case that works well.

Also had a pelican and it was tight to get two rifles in there when running a bipod, longer than normal barrel, and large optics.

Both are great cases.

Which case to choose if one has to fit to relatively large rifles in it?

Ex: Both about the size of M700LA with 30" barrel, NXS 5,5-22x56?

Americase?

I've had a look at differnet cases, but find the 56mm bell to be a tad bit large, little foam left on either side when in the case..?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, IF the P/1750 won't work call Americase in Tx. they can custom make you a case. They are NOT cheap, but you will NEVER worry about your "toys" that are inside one of their cases.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

SKB or Americase http://www.americase.com/pages/casesrifle.htm

I use an SKB when I need to fly with two scoped rifles.

It has TSA locks.

Also has replaceable hinges, which matters if you travel and use it a lot.

Works OK, but it's a large case, so it gets heavy after awhile.

It does have built-in wheels & handle, which help make it more useful.

If your gonna get the Pelican case. i'd get it with wheels it's heavy.

I don't think you'd go wrong with Impact Case and Container. I have their largest case (64x16x6x.080)and it's pretty amazingly built. You wouldn't need one that big, maybe 52x14? The foam is also MUCH better in my opinion than the foam you cut out that comes with pelican/etc.

www.icc-case.com

Agreed with the wheels. I have a 5.11 double rifle case and with my AWSM and M40 inside it is very heavy.

Cut

i hate moving a 1750 around with one rifle in it. i couldn't imagine having a second rifle in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hate moving a 1750 around with one rifle in it. i couldn't imagine having a second rifle in there. </div></div>
Then you will just hate the 4 rifles and 4 handguns I put in one of my #1750's...
wink.gif

Respectfully,
LG

Look at the Storm cases too.

iM3300.

I have two of them.

I also have a Pelican 1750.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hate moving a 1750 around with one rifle in it. i couldn't imagine having a second rifle in there. </div></div>
Then you will just hate the 4 rifles and 4 handguns I put in one of my #1750's...
wink.gif

Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

yes, i sure would hate moving that around. my 1750's stay at home now unless i really need a hard case. i don't see using a 40 lb case to transport a 15 lb rifle (that is supposed to be built tough) from the house to the truck and the truck to the shooting location. two tactical type bolt rifles in a pelican case is going to weigh an awkward 70-80+ lbs. if you are flying with it/them, then i can see needing the extra protection and and also being required to using a hard case.

I've done two smaller objective hunting rifles in a 1750 before and if it's not with a bipod or a lot of accessories it's fine. Weight is about 25 pounds with foam.

SKB has their roto-molded double mil-spec case, it's a big heavy pig though compared to the 1750, think they run around about 32 pounds empty and just shy of $400.

Kalispel makes some of their safari style cases for 2 rifles. Again in the 35 pound range empty and somewhere around $450.

If you think those are heavy forget about Americase, they will make anything you want, and super bombproof, but the breakdown shotgun case they made me is heavier than any of the above, and more expensive. If you made a double rifle sized case to the specs my shotgun case was built I guarantee it would be pushing 75 lbs empty.

If you go for an Al case go as heavy as you can on the wall thickness. I've seen a lot of thin Al cases (americase included) where they were damaged, either dented badly, or rivets pulled out or the hinge interface bent. IMO the polymer/molded cases like the pelican and SKB roto are more durable overall than the thin Al options.

Honestly I've gone back to drag bags for most of my transport unless I Know it's going to be heavy off road work, or airline travel. Big bulky heavy hardcases are just annoying.

Yep owned 3-4 of them however mine were custom ordered made with much thicker Al sides as an option.

The ammeri-lite series uses very very thin Al sides, I wouldn't recommend it, they are flat out garbage in my opinion, seen several damaged with sides caved in. The premium series uses an more solid aluminum frame with a lighter duron polymer for the large side plates. They are a pretty good case, and the polymer on the sides resists denting.

The aluma-trans series is similar to what I had built, only with much thicker Al option and modified handle. The safari style americse 2 gun with thicker Al would be nice, and probably under 50lbs, though not with two guns in it. The problem for the OP being that the stock safari style cases as americase lists them will only hold a max gun length of 47", not 48+ as the OP requires.

The 4014 would not be a bad case, I'd have it fitted with foam and retention straps. In the americase line I much prefer having two separate compartments with the solid divider than just a foam insert between the two rifles.

However the big annoyance with the non-safari flat style aluma-trans is that the handle is mounted way off center which means on a taller case like a double rifle or archery case that it leans 6" to the side when you carry it, so it's either angled out away from you or into your leg. It's hard enough getting around with a big rifle case much less one that hangs out to the side. You can see on the following page how the handle hinge point is right at the top edge of the lid.

http://www.americase.com/pages/order/at5216.shtml

You're right doing the math from my shotgun case it would probably be closer to 55-60lbs. My shotgun case I had americase make is a 2 shotgun, 4 barrel takedown 38x10x6.5 and it's 38 lbs empty with cover, no wheels. Going to a similar case in 55x18x6.5 with cover and wheels is going to be significantly more weight with the same specs.

To be honest I think the better polymer/molded cases for most uses are certainly lighter more durable unless you go to a really thick/heavy Al sided case, at least 0.1" thick Al stock, I prefer 0.125", most are 0.06" Most of the Al cases out there are too thin and dent/crack too easily when handled roughly.

What would really be nice is if pelican would make a wider case than the 1750 so that two guns would more easily go into it. But this is a problem with rifle cases in general, most of the "double gun" cases marketed there's no way in HELL you'd ever get two scoped guns in there without them touching. If they took the 1750 case from 16" to 18" or even 20" it would make a huge difference. I've also always liked the idea of a two gun case that essentially was two 1750's put together for a dual lid type design. But for that much weight the safari lid type cases are usually more durable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHP9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the Storm cases too.

iM3300.

I have two of them.

I also have a Pelican 1750. </div></div>

Which do you prefer? The Storm?

Pelican has the new 1770 but that's a HUGE case, 5" longer, 2" wider, twice as thick and 10 pounds heavier than the 1750. That could easily be a 4 rifle case.

If you use it as a single layer 2 rifle case it's overkill because it's twice as thick as the 1750, if you use it as one rifle per layer, then it's annoying because you have to strip everything out of the case to get to the lower rifle.

A much better design would be to essentially merge two 1750 cases, so you have polymer and foam between the rifles, with a lid on both sides so each rifle can be accessed without removing the other.

Also the new Pel.#1770 does not have a center carrying handle and that makes it a PITA for going up and down stairs and loading it into the back of my truck. Pelican screwed-up abit me thinks on this one.
Respectfully,
LG

Yep I have an Americase aluma-trans archery case that had that type of off center handle design as well, I ended up removing it and installing my own handle that was much closer to center. I've spoke with americase about it a couple of times at nationals in years past and they just don't feel it's an issue. It's also one of those things they use/bring up to up sell people to their premium line of cases.

It makes it a royal pain to get through doorways and hallways with. The angle ends up making a 6.5" thick case carry like a 15" thick case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hate moving a 1750 around with one rifle in it. i couldn't imagine having a second rifle in there. </div></div>
wink.gif

Respectfully,
LG</div></div>
lumpy: do you have any pics of your 1750. i like to see how you manage to put 4 rifles and 4 hanguns inside of that case

SKB double has moved 2 Tac rifles suppressors bipods and other snivle gear all across the country for me.

Consider the pelican some more, get a hold of my buddy Tony @ velocityshooter.com he will fix you up with the best prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: divejay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hate moving a 1750 around with one rifle in it. i couldn't imagine having a second rifle in there. </div></div>
wink.gif

Respectfully,
LG</div></div>
lumpy: do you have any pics of your 1750. i like to see how you manage to put 4 rifles and 4 hanguns inside of that case </div></div>

Hi, they are my SASS/cowboy guns(2 Marlin lever action pistol cal. rifles,2 lever action 12ga. s/guns(Win87's),4 Ruger single action revolvers)my wife and I use, and they are all in soft cases inside the 1750 that has the foam removed.
Respectfully,
LG