• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Heading to Texas; Inquiring game to shoot.

Caycee Oakley

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
Northern Michigan
In less than three weeks, my friend and I will be headed to Killeen, Texas for five days to visit my sister. Now aside all the boring city stuff, we'd really like to hunt some sort of game out there for a cheap/reasonable price. This will be our first time visiting Texas, so we are not familiar with the regulations/available game/hunting areas. I was inquiring if anyone who lives in or has visited the area could give me a little insight on the excursion I am talking about. With that being said, I also was curious as to if anyone has had an experience with flying with guns before. This is only my second time flying. When I purchased my tickets, I had to accept a disclaimer stating that I understood that guns and ammunition were not allowed. This baffled me considering people travel for hunts across the globe everyday. I was curious as to if maybe I was misinformed or if there is a process I need to go through in order to travel with my guns. Any information on my inquisitions would be greatly appreciated.

That's Bell county, and turkey season just ended. So you might get some squirrel or such.

Edit ->> oh and of course hogs.

"Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage." Yes you can take your weapons, and your ammo. I have flown with mine more than once. Also an out of state hunting license is around 300$ or so.

Last edited:
If you don't mind driving a little bit check these guys out. I have used them a bunch of times and you won't have to worry about bringing guns. Nighthogs.com

If you are wanting to hunt something besides hogs there are exotic leases all over. I don't know anyone in that area but exotics such as axis tend to go pretty cheap in South TX. I got married on the Frio and my father in law found a place about 5 minutes away that had axis doe for $100 a pop.

Also, if you enjoy fishing you may look into some gar fishing, not sure of what rivers may be close by that would have them but they are a blast to catch and taste great. I caught this bad boy last year, nothing like pulling a 6ft fish into a 14ft jon boat.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-hunting-fishing/218721-gar.html

HonkeyMcGee88- Whereabouts in the south were you hunting the Axis doe? As far as fishing for gar, that was something we had also talked about doing and would love to. My sister wasn't really sure about the regulations though and how much it would cost for us being out of staters to fish in the area. We were just trying to get a general idea if anyone had known some of the prices or areas to do it for such things. And awesome gar, by the way!

Jong I don't recall the name of the place but it was in the Concan area. Another thing is he may have just been high on his population at the time. If you have any interest in exotics I would ask the owner if there is anything specific he needs thinned out and you may get a better price.

Caycee, I'm not sure what an out of state fishing license runs but I would think it's less than a hunting license.

Last edited:
There are no "cheap" places to hunt.
There is very little in the way of public land, though there are opportunities to hunt private land open to the public, it costs a little bit extra (around 40 bucks) for that additional permit, they give you a couple of books that map out those areas.

Good luck.

Just got back from Axis Hunt in Texas. Special Five Day Nonresident License (#157) costs $48.00 and is good for Exotics/Hogs/Predators. Texas is super proud of it's Whitetails that license costs $315.00 for a year. Spring Turkey costs $126.00.

The General Out of State License cost $315. Of course, that permit is for the entire year. Also, you can hunt everything Texas has to offer with that one permit. Rabbits, squirrels, doves, ducks, geese, quail, exotics, hogs, deer, turkey, etc. And, the license comes with five (5) white tail deer tags, two (2) mule deer tags, and four (4) turkey tags. When you consider the cost of an out of state permit in other states, the Texas license is a steal.

When compared against a $48 5-day permit to hunt what the state considers livestock, the general permit is the better bang for the buck.

The General Out of State License cost $315. Of course, that permit is for the entire year. Also, you can hunt everything Texas has to offer with that one permit. Rabbits, squirrels, doves, ducks, geese, quail, exotics, hogs, deer, turkey, etc. And, the license comes with five (5) white tail deer tags, two (2) mule deer tags, and four (4) turkey tags. When you consider the cost of an out of state permit in other states, the Texas license is a steal.

When compared against a $48 5-day permit to hunt what the state considers livestock, the general permit is the better bang for the buck.

Yes, you get a lot in the General Lic., But why would you pay $315 for stuff you dont need? He's looking for an inexpensive hunt over the 5 days he'll be here. That usually = Hogs and Predators. Never heard of a cheap deer hunt in TX. Besides, the OP is in Michigan, I'm sure he has deer there.
If you are going specifically for Hogs, Predators, and/or exotics the $48 5-day license is the way to go though.

Thanks Dirty Dave. I think my point was more directed at the Nonresident lisence being somehow exorbitantly priced. If I were to hunt Michigan I would need a nonresident base permit ($151) and could also buy a deer combo for $190. That gets me 2 deer tags, not 7, and turkey tags are $15 each- it is not clear how many I can buy. While there is a 7 day nonresident license, it is small game only and is $80. By comparison, nonresident hunting in Texas is a bargain. How are the predator/hog/exotic opportunities in MI? What permits do I need?

I'm sure I could do similar analysis for many states, but won't.

Obviously, the 5 day permit is more cost effective for a short trip, unless you want to hunt deer or turkeys. You can't buy enough 5 day permits to legally hunt them in Texas.

The above notwithstanding, hunting in Texas is not cheap- especially if you are coming from out of state and have to negotiate land access and trophy fees. If you hunt a managed ranch you are effectively hunting the ranch owner's livestock and will pay for the "opportunity."

Several years ago my wife and I hunted on the West Kerr ranch. $200 per person for the weekend and unlimited axis does at $50 each. We saw lots of deer and had a good time. We were with friends and it was money well spent.

On a related note, why is it people travel in the middle of the summer and expect to find good hunting opportunities in the US? Other than California, what states have big game seasons in (or before) July?