• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help me pick a new scope for my son

HarperJT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
I picked up a Remington youth in 243 for my 9 year old son this year and topped it off with a Burris Fulfield 3x9x40mm. We mostly hunt in the deep woods where most shots are around 100 yards. Occasionally we hunt in the bean field where the shots can go 300+ (Though it will be some time before I let him take a long shot).
In SC where we hunt, we can shoot a hour after sunset, the problem is that with this scope it's too dark for my son to take the shot even though we can still see the deer with my scope and the binoculars. I currently use a old Nightforce Varmiter scope but there is no way I'm going to buy a 9 year old a $1000 scope. I'm thinking more in the $400 to $600 dollar price range. What do you thing about the Vortex HS 4x16x50, or a Luppy VIII. I'm kind of leaning toward the 30mm tube, but I don't want it to look to out of place on a youth rifle.
Any advice?

BTW, My son killed his first deer about a week ago. He said it was a two pointer (Aka, cow horn).

Thanks, Jeff

Re: Help me pick a new scope for my son

Just a thought but the Weaver 3-10 tactical would be a great setup for him. Great glass for the money and matching knobs and reticle at 10x. Plus its $100 less than the budget you set forth and is built tough. Its only a 1" tube but still good for what it's to be used for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/...t-reticle-matte

BTW, good job for your son and his first deer.

Flyingbullseye

Well, first off, take that .243 away from him, get him a 30-30 Winchester and teach him how to shoot.

Let him hunt with that for about 5 years and then move up.

Don't have a cow!!! Just kidding!!!

He has a great daddy!!!

Flying Bull's recommendation is sound.

How about a Zeiss Conquest. Great glass and low light ability.

I'm going to ask a question that I hope isn't out of line. Why not buy him a $1000 scope. If you can afford it and teach him how to take care of it, you never have to buy him another one. It isn't like a rifle that needs upgrading. Buy good glass and be done with it. You can move it from each rifle he shoots as he grows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to ask a question that I hope isn't out of line. Why not buy him a $1000 scope. If you can afford it and teach him how to take care of it, you never have to buy him another one. It isn't like a rifle that needs upgrading. Buy good glass and be done with it. You can move it from each rifle he shoots as he grows. </div></div>

+1 buy right cry once buy wrong you get the picture....

Personal responsibility . . .

Novel concept . . . I like that!!!

I'm going with JCH!!!

Why not a swfa ss 6x42? Big FOV, very solid, and later he could even take the 300y shot.

Another +1 for the midway weaver gst 3-10. I love that little scope. I'll be buying my third one in the next few months.

Good job getting a young hunter started.
Good on you Dad.
Big scopes move alot of light. Big scopes look funny on little rifles. Weaver has some good stuff out there. cash is a limiting factor for all things.
Get the best scope you can afford and keep in mind it is being hunted by a kid with buckfever. and it WILL get broke at some time. Try to laugh when it happens as I have learned to do.
and good luck!!!

Thanks for your input. I'm going to go take a look at everything suggested. As for the $1000 scope for the 9 year old, I think I'll wait till he can appreciate it more.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

NIKON Pro-staff 3-9x50mm

Both Nikons have cool low almost M3A reminiscent finger adjustable turrets that are re-settable.

RS_32_b_info.jpg

For a little more dough (well under $600) you can get a 2-10x50mm Monarch.

2-10x50mm monarch.

Either of these should gather plenty of light- obviously the 2-10 should be theoretically 30% better than the 3-9. But I'd buy the 3-9 personally.

Thanks guys. I looked at all the scopes you guys suggested and I went with the Vortex HS 4-16X50 with the BDC recital. I almost went with a Zeiss conquest that SWFA has on their sample list. The Weaver looks like a great scope for the money but I didn't want the tactical turrets, I'm afraid that he might play with them either by accident or intentionally. The Nikon also looked like a nice scope for the money.

Thanks for you guys input. I really appreciate it,
Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> NIKON Pro-staff 3-9x50mm

Both Nikons have cool low almost M3A reminiscent finger adjustable turrets that are re-settable.

RS_32_b_info.jpg

For a little more dough (well under $600) you can get a 2-10x50mm Monarch.

2-10x50mm monarch.

Either of these should gather plenty of light- obviously the 2-10 should be theoretically 30% better than the 3-9. But I'd buy the 3-9 personally. </div></div>

Okay, I've not had the new Prostaff, but I had the older one, and I've got a couple of the Monarchs, and honestly the FFII's I have, have better glass in the daytime as well as in low light. So if he isn't happy with one of those, he won't be happy with the Monarch. I'm positive of that.

That said, I've never used the Vortex Viper HS so I can't really comment on it, but from what I've read about it, it sounds like you made a great choice. Let us know how you like it.

Why would he learn how to shoot any better with a 30-30 over a .243? Antiquated thinking, it's his son, let him do what he wants.