• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help understanding Mil/MOA.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Hey guys, I've just recently jumped into the world of precision shooting, and I'll be honest, the whole Mil and MOA thing has confused and intimidated me.

When I decided to get a precision rifle, I told myself that I don't just want to be the kind of shooter that goes to the range and just shoots. I want to learn proper precision marksman techniques and procedures that will allow me to be accurate and consistent.

So like I said, I'm still a bit confused with Mil and MOA.

I have a Remington 700 SPS-Tac AAC-SD and a SS 10x scope. The scope is the Mil/MOA version so from what I've read that makes things a bit more complicated.

So I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some good resources for learning how to use Mil and MOA.

Thanks.

Re: Help understanding Mil/MOA.

Chamber,
This is the link to the Optics FAQ, Most of what you want to know is linked in the first post under the thread. Have a look there first.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

IF I read your post correctly, the short answer is your reticle subtend (measures) in mils and the scopes adjustments are in MOA. To read the reticle and then dial the required change means you must convert from mils to moa. The details are in the links above.

Good Luck

Read the above info. Mils and MOAs are 2 different angular measurements. One is not better than the other, it is a matter of personal preference.

either will work and even mix match scopes are not a problem. What kind of gun are you using it for? .308?

MOA:
There are 360 degrees in a circle. There are 60 minutes in a degree. So there are 360x60=21600 minutes in a circle.

The circumference of a circle is 2 x pi x r. Let us say r is 100 yards (3600 inches). The circumference is 22620".

So on minute of angle (moa) 22620/21600 = 1.047" in 100 yards.

For many, and for just starting out, this 1.047" is rounded to one inch. Obviously there is a tiny error here, and btw there always will be because the value of pi is always aproximate.

Mil:
2 x pi radians = 360 degrees
One radian = 360/(2 x pi)
substitute circumference of 2 x pi x r for 360 degrees
One radian = (2 x pi x r) / 2 x pi
One radian = r (the 2 x pi's cancel)
One Milliradian = One radian/1000 = r / 1000

Since r can be any value we can make it 1 so,
one milliradian (aka one MIL) is 1/1000
mil is 1/1000th of anything.

Hope that helps.

All good stuff above. Just remember that a mil reticle and mil adjustments will always be consistent. A mil is a mil is a mil. However, sniperaviator brings up a good point about MOA. There is either true MOA, which is the 1.047" at 100 measurement and then there is IPHY (Inch per hundred yards) which is 1" at 100. Some scope companies make their reticles and adjustments in true MOA and others in IPHY. You have to determine what you have when you get the scope because the difference gets bigger as you go further out. If the reticle and turrets are mismatched (one in true MOA the other in IPHY) you are going to have disparity in your ranging measurements.

Josh

Man, this is making me feel dumb. I guess I need to look at this differently.

So just for clarification's sake, say I'm at 100 yards and I am shooting 3 Mils low. That equals 10.32 MOA so then I'd need to go 41 MOA clicks higher, correct?

I just can't seem to understand how it correlates to higher ranges.

Say I was shooting 3 Mils low at 600 yards.

Thanks guys, sorry for being so nooby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, this is making me feel dumb. I guess I need to look at this differently.

So just for clarification's sake, say I'm at 100 yards and I am shooting 3 Mils low. That equals 10.32 MOA so then I'd need to go 41 MOA clicks higher, correct?

</div></div>

This is where FFP and SFP come into play. If you have a FFP scope, then 1 mil will always be 1 mil no matter what magnification. With a SFP scope, the reticle is designed to only be true at a certain magnification so you need to know what that is. My Bushnell 4200 6-24x (SFP) with mil-dot is set to be true on 12x power, so at 24x, 1 mil is actually 1/2 mil since it is doubled, and at 6x power, 1 mil is actually 2 mils. No matter what, as long as you know what your values are for your reticle, 1 mil low at 600yd or 1 mil low at 100yd, you would adjust for 1 mil or if you have MOA then you adjust accordingly for it.

I'm guessing when you say to adjust 41 MOA clicks that you have 1/4 MOA adjustments, so in this case it would be 41 clicks (rounding to nearest whole number), or 10.32 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Obviously there is a tiny error here, and btw there always will be because the value of pi is always aproximate.</div></div>

While this is technically true, it is pretty meaningless. It is mathematically trivial to compute PI to any precision required. It has been calculated to several trillion decimal places.

To give some perspective, if calculating the circumference of the observable universe from its diameter, using PI precise to 40 decimal places will give an error smaller than the diameter of an atom.

As far as ranging calculations go, using 3.14159 for PI will result in a circumference error at 1000 meters of about 5mm. As any ranging calculations will relate to only a tiny fraction of the circumference, actual computation error will be much smaller than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, this is making me feel dumb. I guess I need to look at this differently.

</div></div>

The conversion from mil to MOA or vice versa is the same regardless of distance. Both are measures of angle and have nothing to do with distance.

3 mils at 600 yards is still 10.32 MOA. However, now:

3/1000 * 600yards=1.8 yards
1.8 yards*36in/yard=64.8"

So this formula is: RANGE * MILS/1000 = LENGTH ON TARGET (same units as range)

This formula works for any range units and returns length on target in the same units (put in yards, get out yards, put in miles, get out miles, put in millimeters, get out millimeters).

OR:

10.32 MOA * 1.047(in/100 yards)/MOA * 600 yards = 10.32*1.047*6=64.8"

So this formula is:

MOA * 1.047 * RANGE (yards)/100 = LENGTH ON TARGET (inches)

THIS FORMULA ONLY WORKS FOR RANGES IN YARDS AND LENGTH ON TARGET IN INCHES!

Alternatively, the MOA calculation can be:

tangent(10.32 MOA/60(MOA/degree))*600 yards=1.8 yards

So this formula is:

tangent(MOA/60)*RANGE=LENGTH ON TARGET (same units as range)

This formula works for any range units and returns length on target in the same units (put in yards, get out yards, put in miles, get out miles, put in millimeters, get out millimeters).

Make sure your calculator is using DEGREES instead of RADIANS. The Google search bar will do math for you but expects RADIAN angles and will not give you the correct answer using the formula above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Obviously there is a tiny error here, and btw there always will be because the value of pi is always aproximate.</div></div>

While this is technically true, it is pretty meaningless. It is mathematically trivial to compute PI to any precision required. It has been calculated to several trillion decimal places.

To give some perspective, if calculating the circumference of the observable universe from its diameter, using PI precise to 40 decimal places will give an error smaller than the diameter of an atom.

As far as ranging calculations go, using 3.14159 for PI will result in a circumference error at 1000 meters of about 5mm. As any ranging calculations will relate to only a tiny fraction of the circumference, actual computation error will be much smaller than that.

</div></div>

</div></div>

Okay so it still 10.32 MOA, yet 10.32 MOA changes depending on your distance.

For some insane reason, I can't wrap my head around what I need to do out in the field when I'm shooting.

I understand it at 100 yards, I can't seem the understand what changes in the formula when I go out to longer distances.

What is the "3/1000"?

I think I'm just looking at this wrong, maybe I need to meet up with someone local and see if they can help me understand at the range.

Thanks guys.

MOA does change in linear measurement from yard to yard but not angular. If you look through the scope and see you are 3 mils low which you made to 10.32 MOA then it doesn't matter if you are at 100 or 1000 yards. Dude all that math is not needed. You should know how to make MOA to mils and mils to MOA. That's it. No need to bring inches and yards into anything. You are 10.32 MOA low then dial 10.32 MOA up. Simple.

With an MOA knobed scope with a mil reticle just run your data on a ballistic program like JBM in both Mils and MOA. Then you have your dial data in MOA for the knobs and mil data for the reticle. Simple.

Don't think in clicks either. Use the big numbers on the turrets.

Here is a picture I drew up. Like everyone has stated it is based off angular measure (degrees or radians), hence mils or milliradians. We are going to call the below angular measure 1 (MOA or mil...your choice). You, the shooter are at the pointy end (the origin). You see that the arc length at 100 yards is not as long as at 1000. That is why the measure in inches changes as you go out, but not the angular measure. See, in the pic, that wedge is ALWAYS 1 mil/MOA. However, the arc length gets bigger. That is why 1 MOA at 100 is generally stated as 1" and it is ten times that at 1000 yards.

15mmslk.jpg

Josh

If your still not fully understand of how moa an mil look around online, there are a few interactive site out there that you can dial in your online scope an everything..thats what i did

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I understand it at 100 yards, I can't seem the understand what changes in the formula when I go out to longer distances.

What is the "3/1000"?

I think I'm just looking at this wrong, maybe I need to meet up with someone local and see if they can help me understand at the range.

Thanks guys.</div></div>

This is the same formula I put later in my post. One mil gives you a distance on target of 1/1000 the distance to the target. So the formula is:

MIL MEASUREMENT*RANGE/1000=LENGTH ON TARGET
or equivalently:
(MIL MEASUREMENT/1000)*RANGE=LENGTH ON TARGET

So in the example above, at 600 yards, one mil is 1/1000 * 600 yards = .6 yards on the target. You measured 3 mils so you get 3*.6 yards=1.8 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

</div></div>

Okay so it still 10.32 MOA, yet 10.32 MOA changes depending on your distance.

For some insane reason, I can't wrap my head around what I need to do out in the field when I'm shooting.

What is the "3/1000"?

Thanks guys.

</div></div>

You are really thinking way too hard about this. The picture above is the easiest way to visually see what happens. When measuring an angle, the measurement is always at the base of the angle, not at the end of it. No matter what distance you are at, the angular measure will always be the same whether it's ten feet or ten thousand feet because the measurement started at the beginning. It's only dependent on it's starting point. If you are 10.32 MOA low, then you are 10.32 MOA low, no matter what distance you are at, because the angular measure starts at your scope.

I think what is throwing you off is that if you correct for 10.32 MOA low at 1000yd then you would not be 10.32 MOA low at 500 yd because it is only half the distance. Let's say if your 10.32 MOA low at 1000yd then you would actually be hitting 10 MOA high at 500yd if you aim direct center of your crosshairs. In this case, your bullet is not essentially dropping the same amount of MOA but the amount that you would adjust for your corrections would be 10 MOA because it is a measurement of angle and your Mil-Dots represent the measurement of an angle, not a certain distance. The actual distance (in inches) between your mil dots at 1000yd is twice what it is at 500yd, but you have to remember that your reticle is inside your scope, not at your target, therefore being the beginning of the angular measure, not the end of it.

I really hope your starting to understand...

Using the rounded moa (iphy) of 1 moa = 1" per hundred yards:
1 moa at 100 yards = 1"
1 moa at 200 yards = 2"
1 moa at 300 yards = 3"
1 moa at 1000 yards = 10"