• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help with my ladder test

Racinready300ex

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
How does this look? 17 shots with my .223 in .3 grain increments. Shot only at 200 yards. The only area that looks to me to be grouping is shots 15, 16, and 17. Those are all over the book max load. They are spread vertically about .88"

223laddertest.jpg

Re: Help with my ladder test

If it were me I would go back out and retry 11 thru to 17

Only reason I say that is you have a few shots that theoretically should shoot higher but have shot lower... not sure why could be a few reasons.

How solid is your shooting form and how confident are you in your shooting?

For a ladder test I think variable elimination is important, so make sure you use some sort of rest for the rifle be it a bipod, front rest, rear bag, monopod whatever...

Also how much over the book max are we talking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a ladder test I think variable elimination is important, so make sure you use some sort of rest for the rifle be it a bipod, front rest, rear bag, monopod whatever...</div></div>

+1. Also if you can stretch it out a little further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me I would go back out and retry 11 thru to 17

</div></div>

That's kind of what I was thinking to do.

I was shooting of of a front rest and rear bag. It still could have been me. I haven't shot this gun much. Or I could have done something wrong with the loading. I'm still new at this stuff.

As for how much over book load, it depends. My last shot was only .5 grains over what hodgdon says to use, but it was a couple grains over what my hornady book call's max. My last shot was showing some cratering of the primer. I wish my camera could take a good pic I post it up too.

I do have access to longer range, I can try it at 300 next time.