• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with reloading Tracer for .308 WIn

subseauk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just acquired 2000 rounds of tracer ( red tipped ) which weighs approx 140grain each -+1.5grain.

Never having reloaded for tracer before i need to know how to treat it regards to power weight etc. Do you just load to suit the bullet weight of 140?

Any help appreciated.
Rgds
Kev (in UK )

Re: Help with reloading Tracer for .308 WIn

I have loaded them with standard charges for the bullet weight. Don't expect anything beyond mediocre accuracy. Be very careful they will cause fires.........I have experience in that area also.

Good luck

Jerry

M62 tracer 142gr proj 46grains of WC846 powder max so work up to it. If ya cant get that use a hot powder for that grain bullet and make sure to crimp it. Most shout light. Like the other said. Watch for fires

Lots of kinds of bullets can start a fire & nothing makes you more aware of this then having to stomp out 50+ yards worth of burning grass by yourself...

Tracer rounds are usually loaded with special powders to ignite them as well.

Thanks Jerry

I thought loading for weight might be way to go.

we use them on military ranges where all sorts of stuff get pumped down range!!

Pretty damp most of the time in UK so fires not always an issue :)

Using more to sight out to 1000m than pint point, just gives a reasonable idea of whats happening out there as we cannot go out to check hits ( metal plates and vehicles etc, marshy ground does not show up strikes at all .

Not sure about crimping as again never done that before on normal loads, is it really essential???

Cheers guys

Rgds
Kev

Crimping isn't necessary. Also if you have access to military surplus powders anything ending in "T" should be tracer powder (WC844T for instance).

Thanks BCP

Unfortunately i don't think we have access to ex-military powders over here in the UK. We are stuck with the standard Hogdon, Vit etc and even some of those are getting difficult to get hold of. :-(

Best Rgds
Kev

44 gr of H335 with a good crimp on the cannelure work just fine in my FAl's a G3's, not the most accurate but fun to see what bullets do in flight or after impact
hope this helps.

Try piecing the foil with a pin or needle at the back of the bullet too in order to aid with ignition. The tracer heads I've managed to source are a bit tatty having been pulled from old mil surp and to be honest are not the best. Some ignite and others don't. Am trying different powders to see if any of them work better than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try piecing the foil with a pin or needle at the back of the bullet too in order to aid with ignition. The tracer heads I've managed to source are a bit tatty having been pulled from old mil surp and to be honest are not the best. Some ignite and others don't. Am trying different powders to see if any of them work better than others.
</div></div>

Beat me to it, yep pierce the foil a good trick in getting them to light consistantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try piecing the foil with a pin or needle at the back of the bullet too in order to aid with ignition. The tracer heads I've managed to source are a bit tatty having been pulled from old mil surp and to be honest are not the best. Some ignite and others don't. Am trying different powders to see if any of them work better than others.
</div></div>

Beat me to it, yep pierce the foil a good trick in getting them to light consistantly. </div></div>
Thanks guys
I think most of mine are also a bit tatty having also been pulled from crimped cases. A lot have significant "grip" marks in them which may prevent them from being used!!! Must admit the general condition of these would put me off buying just the heads again.
Best rgds
Kev

Just load them up and they will lite fine. No need to pierce the copper cup in the base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subseauk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try piecing the foil with a pin or needle at the back of the bullet too in order to aid with ignition. The tracer heads I've managed to source are a bit tatty having been pulled from old mil surp and to be honest are not the best. Some ignite and others don't. Am trying different powders to see if any of them work better than others.
</div></div>

Beat me to it, yep pierce the foil a good trick in getting them to light consistantly. </div></div>
Thanks guys
I think most of mine are also a bit tatty having also been pulled from crimped cases. A lot have significant "grip" marks in them which may prevent them from being used!!! Must admit the general condition of these would put me off buying just the heads again.
Best rgds
Kev </div></div>

Kev

They will be the same batch that as the ones I've got I would imagine - that's all that seems to be available sourced by C&G AmmoZone (bought mine through JM at FCSA). You are right some of them are significantly out of round but providing you don't have a really tight throat you should be ok with all but the worst ones.
I've loaded some up using H4895 and also some N130 I've got spare and was hoping to try them out up at Warcop this Saturday (weather permitting!). Will share results - let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PD nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just load them up and they will lite fine. No need to pierce the copper cup in the base. </div></div>

When a good number fail to light poke a hole in the cup.

I shot a few hundred of these with IMR4350 and haven't had any fail to lite. Wonder why the cup it there in the first place? I wouldn't want to be poking holes in the cup unless I knew why the cup was there in the first place. If you have a failure to lite problem switch to a hotter powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PD nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a few hundred of these with IMR4350 and haven't had any fail to lite. Wonder why the cup it there in the first place? I wouldn't want to be poking holes in the cup unless I knew why the cup was there in the first place. If you have a failure to lite problem switch to a hotter powder. </div></div>

Good for you, give yourself an atta boy. Tracers can be 60+ years old and made by many different manufacturers, some may light some may not. Your chances are better if you punch the cup. NOTHING happens unless you punch them with a soldering iron and then maybe not. I've punched hundreds and I'm still here.

Hi Ed

Got called away to work in the Middle East before i got chance to get hold of some powder to make some up !!!!
Next time home they will take a hammering :)

Cheers
Kev

How did warcop go ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subseauk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try piecing the foil with a pin or needle at the back of the bullet too in order to aid with ignition. The tracer heads I've managed to source are a bit tatty having been pulled from old mil surp and to be honest are not the best. Some ignite and others don't. Am trying different powders to see if any of them work better than others.
</div></div>

Thanks guys
Best rgds
Kev </div></div>

Kev

They will be the same batch that as the ones I've got I would imagine - that's all that seems to be available sourced by C&G AmmoZone (bought mine through JM at FCSA). You are right some of them are significantly out of round but providing you don't have a really tight throat you should be ok with all but the worst ones.
I've loaded some up using H4895 and also some N130 I've got spare and was hoping to try them out up at Warcop this Saturday (weather permitting!). Will share results - let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Ed </div></div>

I've loaded some orange tip .308, with a copper closure in the heal that weighed out at 145 grains each.
It was pulled from .30-06
They are pretty long for their weight which makes getting the same volumes of the same powders not possible if you respect maximum OAL..
I loaded 43.5 varget and they functioned flawlessly.
Pressure signs were very mild.
48 moa to 1000 yards in 18.5" barrel. (That's a lot)
I would try to load 45.0 varget next time, if it will fit.
1-10 twist recommended.

Don't start any fires with them.
I only shoot them in the winter, when the snow is everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subseauk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Ed

Got called away to work in the Middle East before i got chance to get hold of some powder to make some up !!!!
Next time home they will take a hammering :)

Cheers
Kev

How did warcop go ?

</div></div>

Didn't get to go in the end, I'll try for October and also try and get to F Range at Sennybridge. Still to shoot the tracer I've loaded so no feedback as yet, hopefully soon though.

Cheers
Ed

I've had good luck with 844t and 4895 with m196 5.56 pulled tracer projectiles and I assume both powders would be suitable for 7.62 as well.