• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey western Montana folks

Hibo Hilton,

I just took a look around Bigfork (I take it you are from around there based on the earlier real estate you posted), and properties are dropping prices, $25k-$40k on lots of them, $350k on one of the more expensive properties.

Of course, these are coming off of huge price increases over the last several years, so . . .

Hibo Hilton,

I just took a look around Bigfork (I take it you are from around there based on the earlier real estate you posted), and properties are dropping prices, $25k-$40k on lots of them, $350k on one of the more expensive properties.

Of course, these are coming off of huge price increases over the last several years, so . . .
I'm south of Missoula in the Bitterroot Valley. I posted some real estate around Kalispell for another member here who is looking at moving there for work. I agree some properties are dropping their asking price. But when a $400k property drops $20k and interest rates go up .50%... soon it becomes a wash. The mortgage bankers are asking for more "security" like a higher credit score or more cash for the down. Some counties are already warning that they will increase property tax 5%+. That forces the buyer to pony up more cash at closing to cover the tax and insurance. For those who are not cash buyers, tack on the PMI and that monthly note bumps them out of the running. I know several young couples (both working good jobs) who are putting off getting married until they can get into a home they own. So, there is a very large pool waiting for things to drop down, just a bit and they will snap them up.

I have been in the real estate "squeeze chute" a few times during the last 3 - 4 recessions. It is under contract so... Basically sold.

Here is a typical $400k in my town.

Last edited:
Back in 2016/17 we were looking in the Yaak and Troy areas. I must say prices have greatly increased since then.

Back in 2016/17 we were looking in the Yaak and Troy areas. I must say prices have greatly increased since then.
Don't beat yourself up.... All of Montana has changed greatly over the past 7 years.
I'm watching foundations being dug in September and contractors trying to get structures weather tight before the first snow fall.
The construction financing will carry then just so far. Unknown what the interest rate will be when the final is complete.
This recession is different than the previous one's.

Don't beat yourself up.... All of Montana has changed greatly over the past 7 years.
I'm watching foundations being dug in September and contractors trying to get structures weather tight before the first snow fall.
The construction financing will carry then just so far. Unknown what the interest rate will be when the final is complete.
Not beating myself up at all. The threat of forest fire weighed heavy and there was even one burning when we were there.

We decided that rural NE Arizona fit our needs and price range and bought here in 2017.

After the antfags/covid we are seeing a lot of people moving out here as well. Costs are up on land and houses.

What recession?

• Haha
Reactions: MCSO1357
  • Angry
Reactions: Milf Dots

One more reason to avoid Billings. I already don't go anywhere unarmed there. They have DEA and FBI offices. To damn many people and lots of them wannabe gangster idiots.

My sister and BIL have guns stashed around the house and by every door. Cameras, as break-ins are just normal. And they're in what's considered a good neighborhood.

One more reason to avoid Billings. I already don't go anywhere unarmed there. They have DEA and FBI offices. To damn many people and lots of them wannabe gangster idiots.

My sister and BIL have guns stashed around the house and by every door. Cameras, as break-ins are just normal. And they're in what's considered a good neighborhood.
I had to look it up. I thought to myself, "No way."

Atlanta burglary rate per 1k: 3.57

Billings has to be lower . . .

Nope, 5.32.

Wow.

I had to look it up. I thought to myself, "No way."

Atlanta burglary rate per 1k: 3.57

Billings has to be lower . . .

Nope, 5.32.

Wow.

They've always had issues with the reservation and certain people feeling as though they're owed whatever they can pick up.

It's just gotten worse as they've grown, homeless population has grown, and not enough being done by those in charge that only worry about their own neighborhoods. Same old story.

They downplay the amount of people by making it seem like it's "just" 100. You have to read the article to notice it is 100 PLUS their families. So at just wife and 2 kids that's really 400 people.
This will be an absolute disaster for Billings and by default, Montana.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Always vote for the most conservative candidate who can win both the primary election against other Repubs, AND the general election against the democrats. If that's Rosendale, then he'd get my vote.

The Deep State and their Dark Money are trying to keep a foot hold in Montana...

• Angry
I don't understand. PPP loans were designed to be "walked away from," to use the word from the ad. They were forgivable loans if you met the conditions of the loan, which was that you kept employees on the payroll even when the economy was shut down. How is that an attack?

I'm south of Missoula in the Bitterroot Valley. I posted some real estate around Kalispell for another member here who is looking at moving there for work. I agree some properties are dropping their asking price. But when a $400k property drops $20k and interest rates go up .50%... soon it becomes a wash. The mortgage bankers are asking for more "security" like a higher credit score or more cash for the down. Some counties are already warning that they will increase property tax 5%+. That forces the buyer to pony up more cash at closing to cover the tax and insurance. For those who are not cash buyers, tack on the PMI and that monthly note bumps them out of the running. I know several young couples (both working good jobs) who are putting off getting married until they can get into a home they own. So, there is a very large pool waiting for things to drop down, just a bit and they will snap them up.

I have been in the real estate "squeeze chute" a few times during the last 3 - 4 recessions. It is under contract so... Basically sold.

Here is a typical $400k in my town.
According to Zillow, it sold a couple weeks after you posted that. It is now estimated to be worth $379,500, so property values continue to decline.

According to Zillow, it sold a couple weeks after you posted that. It is now estimated to be worth $379,500, so property values continue to decline.
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Advertised for $400k and sold for $379k. That does not show a decline.
Example:
This one is advertised as a Price cut of $10k. This certainly does not mean the prices are coming down.

A buyer must look at the bottom line (monthly payment)... In other discussions here it was brought out that many people just need to buy a smaller / less expensive home when they relocate.
1706974515867.png

The United States Government killed off the forest products industry. Now we watch every year when thousands of square miles of timber goes up in smoke. The government expresses condolences and draws it pensions.

1973 - The Endangered Species Act passes Congress, and the U.S. Department of the Interior lists the northern spotted owl as a potentially endangered species.

Missoula County Commissioner Dave Strohmaier expressed condolences for those who have lost their jobs

The Government is a master of taking a simple problem and making it complicated.

A simple man would say "If you reduce the wildfires then the smoke in buildings would be reduced. A bonus would be the reduction of smoke outside of the buildings, also.
Stop listening to the "Environmentalist".

If the "naive Montanan contingent" would also vote for Conservatives- which means NOT voting for any of the incumbent justices on the Montana Supreme Court- things would get much better in Big Sky Country. As it stands the Montana Supreme Court has been hijacked by democrats, despite Montana being a Red state with the majority of its state and federal elected officials being Repubs.

Montana voters better wake the fuck up when it comes to voting for judges, school board trustees, and all other offices.

Montana voters better wake the fuck up when it comes to voting for judges, school board trustees, and all other offices.
This is precious. Have you any idea what’s happened in this state since the scamdemic? 2020 voting was a fluke.

This is precious. Have you any idea what’s happened in this state since the scamdemic? 2020 voting was a fluke.
Are you not a conservative or Conserva-tarian?

My post is a timeless caution to Montanans- it really doesn't matter how much better things have gotten because every generation of Americans seem to forget the struggles of the past. We need to be vigilant forever and not just short term.

I'm sure you'd agree with this latest post of mine- unless you're not a conservative or conservative-libertarian.

But I'd love to hear how the MT Supreme Court has been taken back by a majority of Conservatives!

How about important school boards like Billings Public Schools- are they now a majority Conservative school board?!

Is Bozeman now run by a majority of Conservatives?

Are you not a conservative or Conserva-tarian?

My post is a timeless caution to Montanans- it really doesn't matter how much better things have gotten because every generation of Americans seem to forget the struggles of the past. We need to be vigilant forever and not just short term.

I'm sure you'd agree with this latest post of mine- unless you're not a conservative or conservative-libertarian.

But I'd love to hear how the MT Supreme Court has been taken back by a majority of Conservatives!

How about important school boards like Billings Public Schools- are they now a majority Conservative school board?!

Is Bozeman now run by a majority of Conservatives?
We should probably start with what you consider a “Montanan”? Someone who’s lived here five minutes and bought a pair of Carhartts? That’s what most people seem to think are requisite to wear that title.

We should probably start with what you consider a “Montanan”? Someone who’s lived here five minutes and bought a pair of Carhartts? That’s what most people seem to think are requisite to wear that title.
I'm not surprised you deflected to the trivial and avoided opining on anything substantive like the questions I asked and the two links I posted!

Being a Montanan means being the next best thing to a Founding Father type- which are Conservatives & Conservative-Libertarians.

It doesn't sound like you're a Montanan because you haven't said you're a Conservative or Conserva-tarian.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised you deflected to the trivial and avoided opining on anything substantive like the questions I asked and the two links I posted!

Being a Montanan means being the next best thing to a Founding Father type- which are Conservatives & Conservative-Libertarians.

It doesn't sound like you're a Montanan because you haven't said you're a Conservative or Conserva-tarian.
Born and raised native, friend. You sure seem to know a lot about the state. Just like everyone else. 👍🏻

Am I wrong- have both of these major problems recently been resolved by Montana voters?

So what are you folks in Montana going to do about it?

Are conservatives and libertarians just shrugging their shoulders? "Oh, well, I guess we are ruled by an oligarchy of robed lawyers."

Are there plans to reign them in?

So what are you folks in Montana going to do about it?

Are conservatives and libertarians just shrugging their shoulders? "Oh, well, I guess we are ruled by an oligarchy of robed lawyers."

Are there plans to reign them in?
I'm in Florida caring for parents in their late 80s, so there's only so much I can do. Getting the facts out is key because the majority have no idea about the MT SupCt being so liberal.

• Wow
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
I know nothing at all - just what is in that linked article. A tent city? Montana is not a place where I would want to spend the winter in a tent.

I know nothing at all - just what is in that linked article. A tent city? Montana is not a place where I would want to spend the winter in a tent.

Every time the city builds a new street it gets overrun with campers and tents. They then get evicted and towed as businesses and homes move in and it continues.

Our old homeless guy used to go strip naked and cuss at the deputies so they'd arrest him if he was cold. He figured out the cheat code that they can't ignore a swinging dick because of the children...🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Steve_In_29