• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Highest BC bullet I can mag feed out of an 8-twist

buckbrush

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2012
Bloomfield, MT
Looking to stretch the legs of my AR15. It's got an 8-twist 22" barrel.

77 SMK looks to be it? Is there a better option?

Thanks.

I'm running the 77gr Noslers right now since they cost about half of what the SMK's do and I only give up about 50 yards or supersonic range but I'm curious if anybody has tried any of the 75gr bergers or the 77 in an AR.

The Hornady 75gr BTHP has a higher BC than the SMK but I wasn't able to get them to shoot as well as the SMK or Nosler.

Highest BC bullet I can mag feed out of an 8-twist

75 Amax
80.5/82gr Berger
80Amax (marginal low temps/pressure altitudes)

EDIT: missed for an AR; the above are single feed propositions as they don't play well with mag length.

77gr Nosler works very well...

77 Noslers, 77 SMK's, 75g Hornady HPBT.

I havent messed with any of the Berger's in the AR. I am sure they shoot well, but I dont personally think they are worth twice the cost of the others.

75gr A-MAX will mag-feed if you deep-seat it, then crimp the mouth slightly. .435 BC smokes all the other 75gr and 77gr pills, plus it will go really fast. It's accurate as well.

There have been threads on it here.

Berger 80.5/82 gr fullbore match can be loaded to mag length. They gave me no feeding issues but they shot tighter from my rifle when seated @ 2.350".

The 77GR SMK is tough to beat, when all the factors are added in. There is a reason the MK 262 ammo is loaded with them. You do not state your use, but they are good killers as well as accurate and flat.
I shoot them to 750 meters with very good result, I am sure you will as well.