Homemade Induction Annealer

tm6.5

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2021
Ohio
Here are the primary components...

ZVS Board ($36.62) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C70G7Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5-36V Timer/Relay Board ($12.99) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V24WJ4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24V/15A Power Supply ($21.99) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196PXMTU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Momentary Switch ($8.99) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSBYNM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

750F Tempilaq ($30.49) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PL7SEUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Copper Wire ($17.87) - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-25-ft-8-Gauge-Soft-drawn-Copper-Bare-Wire-By-the-Roll/50372842

Cord for power supply - Lowes carries a wall plug cord that is has the L/N/GND wires exposed. Just go to where they sell extension cords and you will find it.

Feel free to ask questions. The coil winding is key. My coil is 10 turns with an ID of 15-16mm. I wouldn't go more than 20mm if you adhere to the setup above. If you aren't sure your coil dimensions/turns will work message me and I can tell you if it will work acceptably. I will need to know coil wire diameter, coil turns, and ID. The opening of the case mouth is positioned to be right about mid way in the coil.

Other timer boards can be used but make sure it supports the voltage/current needs. The timer board I used is using two N-channel FETs in parallel rather than traditional relays. It is working very well. Other ZVS boards can be used as well but you will have to take note of how much capacitance the board has when deciding the coil specs. I'm an EE btw so this project was right up my alley.

Quick tip on turning the coil with that particular wire... use a wooden dowel or similar and turn the coil as tight as possible. Once it is turned take 5-6 business cards and slide them through the coil windings. This will then give you uniform spacing between the coils. Just make sure none of the coils touch and you will be fine. At the mounting ends of the coil I just soldered the 8 AWG wire into the center of a couple pieces of 1/4" copper tubing. This allowed the coil to mount as intended with this particular ZVS board.

If you opt to mimic the wooden block approach the proper drill bit size for 223 is 13/32". You want just enough clearance that the case will drop freely but not tilt excessively. I made the base board hole under that 1/2". Everyone will have their own approaches but just make sure you dimension the case support such that the case mouth opening is about mid way in the coil.

Tim
Tim, if you are still willing to wind a coil, i'd like to take you up on that offer. I'm annealing 6.5 creedmore lapua brass, and can't seem to get the temp up, and my coil (10 turns) heats up a lot.

Bradv86

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 18, 2019
TX
Tim, if you are still willing to wind a coil, i'd like to take you up on that offer. I'm annealing 6.5 creedmore lapua brass, and can't seem to get the temp up, and my coil (10 turns) heats up a lot.

He hasn't been online in about a year it seems like. I don't know if you'll get a response.

skotydontno

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
If you have the material to make your own coil, I do the same brass and coiled it around a 10mm craftsman socket and it works in about 4.6 seconds

txsailor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2020
Texas
Quick update. I had to replace the water pump and added a separate voltage regulator for the pump so I can adjust the fans and pump speeds separately. I also reduced my coil ID to 0.750" which gave me a total of 9.5 wraps. This reduced my annealing time around 40% while pulling approximately 400 watts at 14.5-14.9 amps. I'm now annealing my 300WM and 300PRC brass in 4.9 seconds and my 6.5cm brass I 6.2 seconds. I've ran multiple cases through at a fast pace..as fast as I could feed them with no heat or other issues. I am calling this a success.
I am sure I will make upgrades and improvements in the future like a bigger power supply. I would also like to set it up in an old computer tower to clean it up and reduce the overall footprint.
View attachment 7645560
Can you send a link to the module that you've got left of the fan displaying your electric draw from the power supply?

JBarton

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Wyoming
Can you send a link to the module that you've got left of the fan displaying your electric draw from the power supply?
Voltage regulator on left and right side of the fan
Screenshot_20211102-163241_Amazon Shopping.jpg
next down on left side is the ammeter
Screenshot_20211102-163205_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Then is the timer/relay
Screenshot_20211102-163316_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Hope this helps.

Reactions: camocorvette

tikka1960

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
Cardiff United Kingdom
I have just joined this site i am from the United Kingdom,i hope you don't mind me posting on here so soon,as i am hoping to build one of these soon,is a DC 48V 25A 1200W PS,to much for a ZVS 1000W Board,as i have bought everything expect the PS
Thanks in advance

Bradv86

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 18, 2019
TX
I have just joined this site i am from the United Kingdom,i hope you don't mind me posting on here so soon,as i am hoping to build one of these soon,is a DC 48V 25A 1200W PS,to much for a ZVS 1000W Board,as i have bought everything expect the PS
Thanks in advance

For annealing brass cases, Mostly no. Basically the circuit will only draw a set amount of current based on the coil dimensions and how much brass is inserted into it. It may struggle with something like a .50 BMG but I doubt you are doing that across the pond.

If you decide to shove a big chunk of steel in the coil for whatever reason, there is a good chance of overloading the ZVS board and frying it.

Most of my annealing on a 1000w ZVS board with the 48V supply tends to draw 12A and under up to .308 sized cases, but I only have 48V / 12.5A 600W total before my supply auto-shuts off. You'll have added headroom.

tikka1960

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
Cardiff United Kingdom
I have another question hope you don't mind me asking again, would this Timer work, Durable Sestos Digital Quartic Timer Relay Switch 12-24V Omron Relay Ce B3S.
As i only using AC to power the PS, as I can't find no info on how to wire it up,
Thanks again