• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How crazy am I for trying this?

bj1126

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm very new to precision shooting and rather than spend a bunch on a rifle to get into it I'm thinking I can use what I have until I decide if it is for me.

My rifle is an LWRC M6A2 SPR. I've got a USO ST-10 TPAL on it now for this effort.

Shooting Black Hills 77gr SMKs at 100-300 yards I'm getting about 1-.75 MOA. I think I can improve that with a bit more practice and better trigger presses. I might go with a Geissele or something as well since I'm running the stock "enhanced fire control group" from LWRC. It's a great trigger for normal stuff but seems to be a little rough for what I want to do.

My goal is to stretch this to its limits, 600-800 yards without resorting to hand loading. I'm asking you guys with more experience if I am just nuts or if this should be possible?

Last edited:
I think that if you get into reloading and do a ladder test (very carefully & find your accuracy load) and get a much lighter trigger you might be able to stretch your distance out to 1,000 yds.

I also have an LWRC M6A2 SPR and am also disappointed in the trigger. I tried the JP reduced trigger spring kit but it didn't help much. I think I see a Geissele SSA-E in its future. Even with 77 grain projos and a geissele trigger I think 800 yard would be a stretch for the 556 but 600 is doable with quality glass.

Last edited:
600 is VERY doable with a good factory load and even mediocre glass.

My 11 year old daughter can hit my 8" and 12" steel all day long at 500-643 yds. with either my bone stock 16.5" carbine with a cheap Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 or my varminter 24" barreled rifle with a Nikon M-223 3-12x42, both shooting 69 SMKs or 50 V-Max.

The active military shooters that show up at our local matches regularly use the standard military factory whatever 77gr ammo at 200 300 and 600 and do well. And that's with iron sights. My point is you dont need a fancy scope or hand loads to play at 600.

A geissele match trigger is a solid investment, and that would be a good place to put some money. Glass upgrades would be last on my list for the ranges you will be shooting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the validation guys. I really appreciate the input.

[MENTION=36133]samnev[/MENTION]

I wasn't disappointed until I started trying to do the precision shooting. For normal carbine work, I think it is great. After trying a Hi Speed National Match trigger on a friend's rifle I think I am going to go that route.

[MENTION=82371]lte82[/MENTION]

Yeah I wasn't really thinking a glass upgrade was needed. The ST-10 TPAL was purchased for this effort. I figured it was the cheaper option for a good quality scope and could sell it with minimal losses if I were to upgrade or get out of the precision shooting.