• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How do I know if I have a J-lock on my 700????

jcolev

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Northern Hemisphere
I keep hearing things about this dreaded J-lock, I assume it is on the rem 700 rifles. How can I tell if I have one and where is this thing at?

Re: How do I know if I have a J-lock on my 700????

It has the black lock looking thing on the left side of the rear bolt.

sm_700_5r_top01l.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcolev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep hearing things about this dreaded J-lock, I assume it is on the rem 700 rifles. How can I tell if I have one and where is this thing at? </div></div>

Change it. You can get a replacement from Brownells, cheap. The J locks firing pin spring drags on the inside of the bolt.

Post a picture of the bolt shroud and I will tell you. It doesnt have to have the lock on there for it to be a J-lock shroud and pin. After Remington stoped putting on the lock, they still used the shitty firing pin and shroud from the J-Lock system until they ran out. So you could have a J-lock shroud and pin and not know it.

here is a pic, you can see that the j-lock shroud is longer than a non j-lock version. The lock being there or not has nothing to do with it.

Top one is J-Lock, bottom is not.
BoltandShroud.jpg

Looks like a smaller, tighter and longer coil on the FP spring.Correct me if I'm wrong Brother....

SF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a smaller, tighter and longer coil on the FP spring.Correct me if I'm wrong Brother....

SF </div></div>

Ok you’re wrong. The pic above is correct. Top assembly is a J-Lock. The spring bunches up due to a tapered firing pin. The assembly on the bottom has a straight pin which keeps the spring in line.

This pic shows the springs and pins. Top pin is a J-Lock.

PIN.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1020829.jpg

or this
P1020831.jpg
</div></div>

That's only if he can see the lock. He can still have all the parts, just no lock.

So the J lock model will have a less than desirable lock time I'm assuming? Where's the best place to get a non lock assembly for my SA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's only if he can see the lock. He can still have all the parts, just no lock. </div></div>

That is why I posted a pic of both. The top one is a j-lock with out the wart.

RadCustom, judging by the length of the caps in the photos(if that is indeed how you can differentiate the two)both of your firing pin assemblies have the J lock components. Only one of them contains the actual lock however. Once again, that is if the above statement about cap length is correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's only if he can see the lock. He can still have all the parts, just no lock. </div></div>

That is why I posted a pic of both. The top one is a j-lock with out the wart.

</div></div>

Yes but the average person is not going to be able to tell the difference without looking at a normal shroud.

If the shroud has no lock the best way to tell is take the assembly out of the bolt and look at the spring while compressed. If it's like the pic above with the spring all jacked up then this is a J-Lock assembly with a tapered firing pin and without the lock.

Here this will make it more clear. Both pins are in the fired position and the J-Lock assembly is clear. If one doesn’t wish to take it apart to look the exposed part of the shroud will measure 1.31" long for the J-Lock and 1.06" long for the non J-Lock, no matter if the little lock is there or not.

shroud.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RadCustom, judging by the length of the caps in the photos(if that is indeed how you can differentiate the two)both of your firing pin assemblies have the J lock components. Only one of them contains the actual lock however. Once again, that is if the above statement about cap length is correct. </div></div>

That is correct.

Me thinks it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a smaller, tighter and longer coil on the FP spring.Correct me if I'm wrong Brother....

SF </div></div>

Ok you’re wrong. The pic above is correct. Top assembly is a J-Lock. The spring bunches up due to a tapered firing pin. The assembly on the bottom has a straight pin which keeps the spring in line.

This pic shows the springs and pins. Top pin is a J-Lock.

PIN.jpg
</div></div>Thanks for the pics..Clears it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me thinks it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. </div></div>

Actually it's been hard to tell the difference in accuracy but I have seen unexplained issue go away when the J-Lock assembly is replaced, however I don't like the binding up of the spring and the drag on the bolt body that comes with it.

The biggest issue with the J-Lock was that you could lock it with just about anything but could only unlock it with the key.

I can't remember how many guys called me looking for a key because the little lock somehow became locked while they were out in the field and they no longer had their key. Let’s just say that only happened to them one time before they removed that POS of a lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a J-Lock on one of my rifles. Shoots like a banshee. No harm no foul. </div></div>

Then you better keep that little key close at hand and everywhere that rifle goes, if you don't you could be screwed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The biggest issue with the J-Lock was that you could lock it with just about anything but could only unlock it with the key. </div></div>

I could definitely see where that could be a drag, especially at a match.

I have a .308 700P. It had the J Loc parts/ long shroud but no outside loc.

I used to get unexplained flyers at distance.
Bedded, and did all the usual stuff to correct this issue. Still had flyers. Thought I had a bad barrel.

Years ago Randy went through the same explaination as he is doing today in a thread and I happened to read it. So I changed the firing pin to the old school no loc part one.

Now no flyers and all is well.

Thank you Randy