• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How Fast Is Too Fast With 140gn ELDM And RDF 6.5 Creedmoor

sig2009

Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
FL
So I'm working on some loads with 140gn ELDM and H4350 with my new 26" Rock Creek PVA barrel. So far I have found a node at 42.6gn at 2864 fps with no pressure signs. Am I looking to burn out this new barrel sooner running these that fast?

I've also found a node with the 140gn RDF and IMR 4350 with 42.4gn of IMR 4350 at 2800fps with no pressure signs.

Should I be looking at finding a lower node with both bullets in the 2700 fps range or just keep shooting what the barrel likes at those velocities and not worry about premature barrel wear. I don't shoot PRS so I'm lucky to shoot a couple hundred a month. Any input appreciated.

Reactions: winniedonkey
I find that with a 26' barrel about 2800 FPS is what it should run for a node. My best group so far and the lowest SD's came from 2812fps out of my 26" Bartlien.

For the record my load is 42.2 H4350 with Lapua brass.

You could do a full work up and find your low node and the middle node and see what FPS you would get. If your just plinking then it really doesn't matter much.

I run a bit faster than that. 42.8 is my middle node load w/140 hybrids. Why reload if your only after 2700'ish. Will I burn up barrels a bit faster? I don't really care it only takes a minute to change out on my AX, with all the $ involved in this game 75% barrel life is the least of my worries.
Just be careful in the summer, I drop down to that middle node when hot, even with H4350.

It's not a race.

Find a solid velocity node, and load to that. My current (24") and past barrel (26") both liked 2780-2800 fps with the 140's.

Ballistically you are not gaining much by going an extra 50-100 fps - maybe a tenth or a bit more of wind at 1000 yards.

Reactions: archerforkids
Last year I shot BWRS matches with 140RDF bullets using RL16. I have a 26" prefit Tikka barrel from PVA. It is a button rifled barrel from Spencer/Masterpiece arms I believe. I did my initial load developement without a chrony, just looking for pressure signs. When I did test it I found I was running over 2900fps! Thought, "Oh crap! I'm going to blow this thing!" After I thought about it, I decided to chrony some factory loads I had. Turns out my barrel is just faster than most. With the Hornady 140ELD factory load (which states 2710fps on the box) I was getting 2840fps.

I decided not to worry about it and ran another 1200rnds of that 2900+fps load through my rifle in competition and practive. Had no issues. Shot in 100deg weather.

I also wanted to mention. I did some testing with other bullets and in my rifle I found that the RDF 140 grain bullets had more velocity than the 140 ELD's and 142SMK with the same charge weight in my rifle

As Maddy and others have stated if you want a barrel to shoot forever get a 308, in a 6.5 of any flavor anywhere from 2 to 3000 rounds you are looking at a barrel. My 6.5 Super LR was running 140's at 2865 and I was not at the top, but it shot good there so that is where I stopped.