• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Re: How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Tag. I'll be getting in line to borrow the equipment as soon as I find a rail for my project.

Has any one found a way to use a flush cup already in the stock as a mounting hole for the rail. One of my A5s has a stud and a flush cup. Any ideas how to mount the B-15 screw in the flush cup hole? I was going to to just use a short peice of rail and drill aother hole as instructed in the thread. I also thought of the b-17 but the b-17 hole spacing puts the holes pretty close to the flush cup and I don't like the way it looks just hanging over the empty flush cup hole in the stock. Any suggestions appreciated.
Rad

My rail covered the flush cup, with the rail flush cup. I didn't like it either but I didn't know where to get a short one at the time. Now that it's done and everything is attached, I could care less.

I'm not sure there is a way to utilize the flush cup. I had to drill one hole to install the t-nut and then just used the existing hole from the sling stud for the other screw.

I've got the rail section on the way and everything else in hand other than the T-nuts and screws I need. Can I get in line for the bits when they're available?

TIA

Well, there isn't a line yet, I'm still hanging onto them for whomever calls dibs. I can ship them out to you if you PM me a name and address and you will have them when you are ready to go.

where did you get the couter bore bit that was used?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you get the couter bore bit that was used? </div></div>

+1! I am getting ready to do this on one of my McM stocks as well as for a friend of mine on his A5 and I was looking to buy the bit too.

The genuises at my local Lowe's looked at me like I was speaking in tongues when I asked them!

Forstner bits work just as well can can be picked up at your local Lowes.

Just drill a small diameter pilot from the bottom of the stock, use that to center your forstner coming in from the top of the stock (barrel channel) then follow up with the correct diameter for the screw to open up your pilot.

I priced picking up a set for myself and it just was outta my range, for a one time use item. The "wait in line" process here has been much more cost effective. All that you're out is the mailing price to send them to the next shooter.

understood, i just wanted to knock it out this weekend

Dats cheaper than I could find it. Good info.

It's a spendy bit, hence pay it forward. It's cheaper to ship it to the next guy.

Dudes, seriously, a forstner bit is like $12 @ lowes and you could have it done before bedtime. You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes, seriously, a forstner bit is like $12 @ lowes and you could have it done before bedtime. You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

</div></div>

And why the hell are you bothering with epoxy? What purpose is that serving?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes, seriously, a forstner bit is like $12 @ lowes and you could have it done before bedtime. You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

</div></div>

And why the hell are you bothering with epoxy? What purpose is that serving? </div></div>

Hey Guys

In my experience the Counter Bore is going to leave a much nicer cut. Furthermore, the Forstner Bit will be difficult to get exactly lined up with the pilot hole. McMillan epoxies their T-Nuts, so that is good enough for me. To each their own though, I am a picky bastard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a spendy bit, hence pay it forward. It's cheaper to ship it to the next guy. </div></div>

Some folks...like me...just like owning the tools for themselves and don't mind the cost (which isn't really all that expensive at $50 shipped...hell, I saved that much on the last 200rnds of ammo I rolled on my own instead of buying commercially). I buy specialty tools all the time that I may only use a few times, but I like knowing they are there if/when I need them down the road. To each their own.

Thanks to all for the specific tool info, locales on where to buy, etc. Much obliged!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Quiet One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dudes, seriously, a forstner bit is like $12 @ lowes and you could have it done before bedtime. You guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

</div></div>

And why the hell are you bothering with epoxy? What purpose is that serving? </div></div>

Hey Guys

In my experience the Counter Bore is going to leave a much nicer cut. Furthermore, the Forstner Bit will be difficult to get exactly lined up with the pilot hole. McMillan epoxies their T-Nuts, so that is good enough for me. To each their own though, I am a picky bastard!</div></div>

You're covering this up with a barrel, right?

Use a small (1/16 or less) pilot to start and it's gonna be pretty damn close with a 5/8" fortsner (or whatever size it is, I forget.) Have the bit be very slightly larger than the t-nut and it won't matter anyway; the tnut shaft will still align with the thru hole when you ream it out with the correct size bit afterwards. And sure, the counter bore might give a SLIGHTLY nicer finish on the bottom of the hole, but not much (we are talking about fiberglass and foam being cut by tools designed for much harder and less consistent wood) and you'll never ever see it again once you put the T-nut down on top of it anyway. Especially if you're bothering to epoxy it in for some strange reason (really, someone please explain what they think this accomplishes.)

I've done a half dozen of these and they look every bit as good as any of the pics posted here, many of them better because at least I indexed a consistent hole depth from the bottom of the stock so the t nuts are at the same height. And I don't have little blobs of epoxy sticking out the sides. Not that any of that matters because, after all, ideally you're going to cover this all up with a gun barrel and go use it as a rifle. I'd show pics as examples but for some strange reason I don't have any. Oh, I remember why: because it never occurred to me in my wildest dreams that any of this would ever be even the slightest bit newsworthy.

Listen, if you want to buy a counter bore bit then more power to you. I am certainly not going to start throwing stones on the subject of purchasing tools. But this whole "get in line, pass it around, wait 4 weeks until it's my turn" shit just seems downright silly. Particularly if you've got guys who, based solely on this thread, think that any of this is necessary to install a goddamn t-nut in a little piece of foam and fiberglass.

I mean, hell, you're using a fucking hand drill. Your slop from that is going to far outweigh any error using a readily available forstner bit is going to induce. If you're really this concerned about the quality of your cut, chuck it up in a proper mill with a Kurt vise keeping things nice a steady. At least then your perfect hole won't be canted off plumb by 4*

Of course, I'm still more upset that there are actually people out there allowed to operate a rifle who needed instructions in order to do this. God help them if their car's oil light ever comes on and there's no one around to show them where to pour more in.

Ratbert, you're an awesome dude. I aspire to your greatness.

Some folks don't want to spend $50 on a bit for a one time use, some don't want to accidentally goof on a drill job by 5 degrees on their spendy stock bedded by GAP. Why do you give a shit so much about how they do it?

Clearly I'm overreacting. Spend whatever you want, wait however long you want, it really doesn't matter in the least. I was just hoping to save some people $40 and/or waiting a few weeks by letting them know that if they take a quick trip to lowes and spend 5 minutes on a drill press they can go shoot their guns tonight.

But really, I'm still curious about the epoxy.

It's personal preference. No use getting in a multiple paragraph rant over it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's personal preference. No use getting in a multiple paragraph rant over it.</div></div>

Multi-paragraph rants are the most satisfying of all types of rants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Multi-paragraph rants are the most satisfying of all types of rants.</div></div>

Only when they are coherent, non-rambling, on-topic, multi-paragraph rants unlike some people here who can rant on and on about absolutely NOTHING for PAGES AND PAGES, who can't spell and who generally don't have a clue what the hell they are talking about!!! (Your rants are A-OKAY in my book, Ratbert!!)
wink.gif

I would like to get in line for the bits. I just got an email that my rail and bipod are ready to ship.

the bits are headed your way today Barney88PDC!

they worked great!

Hey Barney--Could I get in line after you? Thanks.

Fastford thanks for the bits I got them yesterday and they worked great. Scout I sent them your way this morning.

Thanks Barney!

Isn't it great, when a plan comes together.

Whomever needs the bits next please PM me.

This is great, Im ordering mine in the next month or so, Ill have to remember this so I can get in line.

Bits are en route to Tigerbikes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddxtyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can i get put on this list?

Thank you! </div></div>I am sure you can--as an initial matter, please fill out your profile. Next, send a PM to the whomever has them now. Welcome to the Hide.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bits are in route to <span style="color: #000066"><span style="font-size: 11pt">toddxtyboy</span></span> along with some extra parts I did not use (screws & bolts)</span>.

If I have an A5 with 2 front studs already installed from McM, can I just pull those out and screw in the Accu rail or buy the Seekins rail and screw it in? Do I don't have the stock in front of me but I don't believe it is countered on the bbl side. It would be ideal if i could just pull the sling studs and screw the new rail in. Also dont know if either rail comes with screws....
thanks