• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Re: How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Are any of the smiths around here doing this kind of an install yet?

It's so easy with the right tools paying someone is kinda silly

Measure your existing stud spacing, then find a rail from Kasey or Seekins to match, the Atlas Bipod is expensive but is well worth it.

Is the Seekins rail flat or curved on the bottom that touches the stock? Thanks.

I'd fuck this up...

My A5 has a sling flush and bipod swivel, can I use these existing areas to slap a rail?

Netranger6 I had the same issue. I had ordered the tac rails for my BO Stabilizer from BO and they didn't fit the front stud holes in the stabilizer. They did however fit just right between the stud and flushcup on my A5(using the stud as the front screw). They are flat on the bottom so they fit the A5 and the A3/5 well. They are a little expensive if you just need one. A pack of three is about 40.00 I think. I haven't done the mount yet but the layout looks good. The only problem I have is I need to order some flat head screws to match the BO screw heads. The ones that come with the rail are to short.
HTH
Rad

Can one of the screws in this system be a swivel stud? And has anyone done this on a McMillian HTG stock? It isn't as wide a forearm as some? I asked the guys at APA about these and they said it puts the gun too high for their taste? I still would like to do one, and figured for the price they wanted to drill a few hole I'd be doing it! How much are the little rails? Love the fact for hunting I can keep sling on and pact the bipod only pull out if I need it.

Can the "BT1517 fastener set from Kasey" be used with Seekins SRS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only problem I have is I need to order some flat head screws to match the BO screw heads. The ones that come with the rail are to short.
HTH
Rad </div></div>

Rad- Try Home Depot. They have the proper screws in a variety of lengths.

I plan to do this on a Manners TC3 wish me luck......

Just in case any one wants to know you can get the same mounting hardware from ACE hardware stores. When I ordered my rail I forgot about ordering the mounting hardware and didn't want to pay for shipping just for bolts and T nuts. Cost me around the same and they look identical.

There are actually several bolts and 8 T-nuts included in the bit package if you need them. Leftovers from guys that used the existing T-nut from their sling swivel.

I ordered the installation kit from Triad.

WE'll see how it goes.

Well looks like my bits and this how to have helped alot of people out, please keep paying foward on the bits, and post pics of your installs, thanx.

It seems there is a new version of the BT17 now too. I will post pics on Sunday.

It didn't come out as straight as I hoped:

5mk5jq.jpg

bj5x55.jpg

Used Devcon instead of regular epoxy.

Falar.... your rail looks to be on backwards.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falar.... your rail looks to be on backwards..... </div></div>

I put it on that way so I can mount the bipod as far out as possible. Can a rail really be "backwards"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falar.... your rail looks to be on backwards..... </div></div>

Falar- Your installation is 100% correct. If the rail were on the other way and you lacked mounts on the side of your stock, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to carry the rifle on a sling with the bipod installed or use the sling w/o detaching the bipod.

The bipod should ALWAYS mount forward of the sling attachment. Think of EVERY stock with studs...bipod pounts on the front one, right?

To answer your question: YES a rail can be backwards--IF YOU FOLLOW KY's ADVICE!!

nevermind i guess it could be installed either way. Last stock I got from Tom Manners they had it installed the other way around. Good thing those screws are removable!

Great thread - I will be doing this to my new A-3 - I've ordered it with nothing up front, so I won't need to cover or adapt anything.

I need things spoon fed to me - would someone kindly provide a link to a good source for a generic rail of minimum size?

"BT1517 fastener set from Kasey"? Link?

Also, I've installed plenty of t-nuts in McMillans using 3/4 spade bits after a pilot hole is drilled and the results are clean enough for me....

Skit,

I have the bit set I can send you. Guys have been including the T-nut and the bolts they don't use so you won't need to buy the BT1517 fastener set, only the BT17.

PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail Monday to you. Or if you can wait until April I plan on being at the LR match now that I have everything put back together.

I just got my bipod and rail from Lisa @ riflesonly! Can I get the bits from someone?

Thanks!

Vote this be made a sticky. One of those minor things one can do to personalize and upgrade their rifle at home.

Ratbert, the epoxy / gorilla glue / Devcon provide a full-surface mechanical lock, where as the t-nut alone relies upon the angular face of the nuts wings providing the locking interface. Though, admittedly the pressure induced when torqued across the two surfaces would plenty, unless they somehow rattled loose and free.

Thanks for the great DIY and the bits! I got my rail installed in no time at all.

If anyone would like the bits please PM me.

What makes the atlas bipod so superior?

I just did Scottmilk9's T5 before he went to NorCal. Didn't even see this thread.

I used a spade bit and pilot hole.

Best way I could come up with to make damned sure it was beautifully straight was to use a string between the front action screw and exising stud to give me a perfect centered and lined up rail.

Ace didn't have the right thread pitch T nut in the cheap style (wanted same thread pitch so if stock changes hands it can just become a double studded stock), so I used a stainless one without the teeth and used an index pin and Devcon.
Scott had some short Hahn rail pieces, and one of them was perfect.

scott1.jpg

scott3q.jpg

scott5.jpg

scott7.jpg

Bits were mailed to springer01 last week. PM him if you need them.

Springer hasn't received them yet, and SKS should be next. I would like dibs after him/her if possible.

Received the bits yesterday. Thanks to 427Cobra for letting us use his bits, and dsteinert for sending them to me!

Step 1: Had to figure out how I was going to put mount on, because I had this APA stud on my stock that DOES NOT come out (pic 1). So I decided to put the mount over the stud as seen in next step(pic2).
20110603184430268.jpg

Step 2: Centered mount and taped it then double checked center (pic2) and used #21 bit to drill hole through gelcoat side of stock using rail as a guide(pic 3).
20110603184804431.jpg
20110603185334191.jpg

Step 3: Removed rail and used #21 holes drilled in previous step for pilot holes to guide 3/4" counterbore bit from barrel channel side. Drilled slowly until about 1/8 inch of screw exits both 3/4" hole (pic 4)
20110603190011885.jpg

Step 4: Then open up #21 holes from gelcoat side using 1/4" drill bit (pic 5). Added small amount of marine tex into 3/4" hole in barrel channel and inserted t-nuts (pic 6).
20110603190520800.jpg
20110603192254179.jpg

Step 5: Install BT17 rail and snug screws just slightly and fill 3/4 inch holes in barrel channel with marine tex. Let sit overnight to cure. Sanded down marine tex smooth with barrel channel (pic 7)
20110604091251363.jpg

Step 6: Tapped up sides of barrel channel and hit it with a light coat of flat OD green spray paint (pic 8) Re-snug rail screws and the BT17 rail install is complete (pic 9) Install Atlas bipod and reassemble rifle (pic 10).
20110604092003822.jpg

20110604092018847.jpg

20110604092438616.jpg

That is so cool.
I already have two Atlas Bipods and love seeing them and this cool install.
My 5R Milspec will have it as soon as I get a stock!

I used the bits and sent them on their way. Netranger6 should have them now, for anyone needing them next. A big thanks goes out to 427 Cobra. Saved me from buying a set of bits I would have used once.
BTW Springer that looks professional.

I could use them. PM inbound.

pm sent to netranger/keithr41....I could use them too.

You could use a 3/4" spade bit to make the counterbores. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc. for less than $10.00.

Bits are on their way to Glockdan.

Keep posting pictures and any tips n tricks so others may feel easy about drilling in there prized weapons.

What I did to secure my front rail was use some heavy duty keenserts and epoxy. Align, drill, tap, install 'serts with epoxy, verify that the Keenserts are slightly below flush and drive in the Kees. After the epoxy cures install the rail and bipod. Afterward, I installed a Grovtec flushcup just behind the rail for the sling.

5d2get.jpg