• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

Here’s my Howa 1500 .308 20” factory bull barrel

Bell and Carlson stock (bedded myself)
PTG bottom metal
Nightforce 20 moa base
Threaded bolt handle (threaded myself)
Timney trigger (can’t remember the model off hand)
Vortex rings
Vortex pst gen 2 5-25x50
Cerakoted myself as I hate blued rifles.

Here’s a 4 round group at 100 yards with factory Hornady black 168gr. Bought a few cases a couple years back on sale and this rifle seemed to love that stuff.
Have the same gun in .308, 20" as well. Might look into the factory Hndy Black.

Reactions: Armed Acadian
20190315_210732.jpg
20190315_210732.jpg

G'day all,

I always like a chance to show someone my current favourite, some nice rigs shown above, this is mine.

It's a Howa 1500 .223 9 twist 24" fluted varmint. I removed the very pretty piece of walnut that came standard and fitted an XLR Industries Element chassis, a Gunbloke 1.5lb 2 stage trigger, a Hawke 10-50x60 Sidewinder scope and for night time a Trustfire SST-50 with a quick release mount. With the torch mounted on that big scope this is not a walk around type rifle so I only ever use it when on or in a vehicle or lurking prone in an ambush position.View attachment 7136824View attachment 7136826View attachment 7136831View attachment 7136832

The benefit of letting your OCD take full control in the quest for the perfect hand load is visible above. After 18 months of experimentation I hit the sweet spot. Weight batching both projectiles and brass, and using Hornady 55gn Roo Max soft nose projectiles seated to the cannelure, ADI cases weighing 93.3gn and 25.6gn of ADI 2206H powder, the group above the bull is 5 rounds at 250m.
For a comparison I fired my last 2 Buffalo River factory rounds (the 2 flyers). Buffalo River is an Australian brand using Sierra 55gn soft nose and ADI brass, so serves as a good reference point.
Nice rifle and great group. Nice classic Rangey, too!

How do you guys like the other stocks? Honestly not liking the APC chassis with the luth ar stock. Looking at other options, but unsure what to look for.

Not a build per se since I bought the rifle off the shelf. Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor in an MDT Oryx chassis. Waiting for my scope base and the appropriate mount for my Elite Iron bipod.

Howa 1500 Oryx.jpg

How you liking the Oryx?

I’ve only handled at home so far. Still waiting on my scope base, etc. With that said I’m quite impressed. I have a bravo as well and this should compete well with the bravo. Once I get some range time I’ll have a better assessment.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
Hey everyone,

I’m a fully confirmed Tikka shooter but just I’ve just picked myself up a Howa 1500 .308 Varmint Barrelled action Which seems to be in great condition. I’m very tempted to use this a switch barrel set-up with barrel for a couple different calibers that use the .308 bolt face. Thinking .260, 22-250 and possibly 7-08 as likely alternate barrels.

I’m keen to hear if anyone has done similar with a Howa action, using the 1500 action as switch barrel platform. Successes, issues, experiences both positive and negative.

Thanks in advance

I am new to bolt action rifles and I recently purchased a Howa 1500 in .308 along with a Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm. Does anyone have any experience with the 34mm Burris XTR (1.5 in) rings? I am curious to see how high off the bore the scope will be.

Thank you in advance.

I have Howa in .308 with almost the same config: XTR II 3-15x50 but in 1.0" (low) XTR Signature rings on Recknagel (Era-Tac) base. Rings are great and I didn't have any problems with this combo, just torque to spec. Scope sits with enough space to barrel, 1.5" would be to high for me IMO. You can look up my photos in this thread. I can post better pic from a side later when I'm home.

Reactions: Dadude122
I have Howa in .308 with almost the same config: XTR II 3-15x50 but in 1.0" (low) XTR Signature rings on Recknagel (Era-Tac) base. Rings are great and I didn't have any problems with this combo, just torque to spec. Scope sits with enough space to barrel, 1.5" would be to high for me IMO. You can look up my photos in this thread. I can post better pic from a side later when I'm home.

Thank you for your response pmalec85. I just ordered the Burris XTR Signature rings (34mm) in 1.0 inch. I will return the 1.5 inch rings when I receive them.

Have a fantastic weekend.

Anyone having any luck with their 6mm creed barreled action? I’ve been told the freebore is in the .185 range?

Is this for self builds only? Mine is a Howa M1500 heavy in 6.5 Creed. 26 in heavy barrel, Luth-AR 4 stock, and the bundled Nikko Diamond long range 16x50. My first precision rifle. Bought, not self built. My self build is going to be (hopefully if commifornia doesnt fuck things up) a .338 Lapua
645060AE-8D14-4D52-9594-9D6C5F2C42EB.jpeg

I am glad this thread has posted. I am contemplating a Howa 6.5 creedmore build in a McMillan or Manners stock. I like the idea of the aluminum mini chassis Manners but like the a6 adjustable of McMillan. Hows is everyone rifle holding up and what are your groups like?

Stupid accurate and very reliable

Other than that though, how is it? :ROFLMAO:

I’m really loving these Howas. Took one out again this weekend and it’s just damn nice. The triggers are so easy to tune, esp with some replacement springs.

The Weatherby versions are on sale at Ky Gun Co so my third is now on the way, a fluted barrel Vanguard in 6.5CM. Weirdly all 3 of my Howa 1500s have 6.5mm bores (2 CMs and 1 Grendel). Love these rifles, looking forward to finishing my long range build this winter.

Reactions: Pete1027
Is this for self builds only? Mine is a Howa M1500 heavy in 6.5 Creed. 26 in heavy barrel, Luth-AR 4 stock, and the bundled Nikko Diamond long range 16x50. My first precision rifle. Bought, not self built. My self build is going to be (hopefully if commifornia doesnt fuck things up) a .338 Lapua View attachment 7168684
I have the same rifle it's hard to beat for the price very accurate,but the mags ugh.

Reactions: Aries256
Love my Howa builds. 16” 308.

Attachments

• 3C6E984A-7BF0-4FCD-AB5D-625BD5BA5838.jpeg
    3C6E984A-7BF0-4FCD-AB5D-625BD5BA5838.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 226
Just sold this one down the river To a new home.
Howa 1500
Manners T1
CDI Precision bottom metal
Ken Farrel scope base
Iron sight mounts front and back
1B0B0185-C4DF-4DF9-87B7-89B441408FB5.jpeg
6CE5D02F-27AB-4F17-9867-755CDC3C3C0C.jpeg

Ok that is cool!

You have any build picks or anything of that rifle?
If that was for me sorry I didn’t build it. A buddy of mine that works at a gun shop in Kansas City built that years and years ago. It was one of the old style Howas probably late 90s or early 2000s. Sat in my safe for at least 4 years before I ever put a round through it I think. Shot the lights out though and best group I ever got with it was .338 with hand loaded 168SMK and 42 grains of Benchmark.

Here is my Howa 1500 semi-custom build in 6mm AR (AKA 6mm Grendel). Details:

1. Howa 1500 Mini barreled action (22" from Brownell's - one heck of a sale)
2. PacNor SS Super Match #1, 1-8", 3-groove barrel, finished at 22"
3. Bolt fluting by LRI
4. Lapua 6.5 G brass
5. Redding type S bushing Full length sizing die, 6.5 G
6. L.E. Wilson Neck Sizer Die Bushing, 0.269"
7. Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die, 6mm PPC (My GS reamed it to 6mm G) Actually I am using an L.E. Wilson 6PPC seater
8. Boyd's Barracuda stock in Forest Camo, un-inletted, inletted, with pillars, and glass bedded by my GS
9. DIP bottom metal/mag holder with DIP mag release
10. Talley Light Weight Alloy Scope Mount (30 mm, Medium)
11. Leupold VX-6 HD, 2-12x, FireDot, windplex
12. Original trigger - worked on by my GS (2.5#, no creep, ample over travel)
13. Shortened Magazine.

Using 90 gr TGK over 31.2 gr CFE223, CCI 450, 2889 fps

Howa MA 6G VX-6.jpg

6G 90 TGK Group.jpg

HOWA Bolt (640x318).jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see someone produce a BDL floorplate for the mini. Their 6.5 Grendel mags suck!

2. PacNor SS Super Match #2, 1-8", 3-groove barrel, finished at 22"
3. Bolt fluting by LRI
4. Lapua 6.5 G brass
7. Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die, 6mm PPC (My GS reamed it to 6mm G) Actually I am using an L.E. Wilson 6PPC seater
8. Boyd's Barracuda stock in Forest Camo, un-inletted, inletted, with pillars, and glass bedded by my GS
13. Shortened Magazine.

Using 90 gr TGK over 31.2 gr CFE223, CCI 450, 2289 fps

View attachment 7175730
View attachment 7175729

View attachment 7175733

Man that is an awesome build. I’d have a rifle in 6AR/Grendel in a heartbeat if I didn’t have to roll my own when it came to ammo. Nice rifle.

2. PacNor SS Super Match #2, 1-8", 3-groove barrel, finished at 22"
3. Bolt fluting by LRI
4. Lapua 6.5 G brass
13. Shortened Magazine.

Using 90 gr TGK over 31.2 gr CFE223, CCI 450, 2289 fps

View attachment 7175730
View attachment 7175729

View attachment 7175733

Man, I've had a 6mm grendal bolt build on my list for a while. I have a 22" AR 6mm predator, which is the same.

Is that velocity a typo? I'm getting 2830 with 90 gr TMKs.

My only reservation so far with a mini is the complaints about the mags. I think someone is making a DBM that uses AICS mags, but I don't remember who it is.

Man, I've had a 6mm grendal bolt build on my list for a while. I have a 22" AR 6mm predator, which is the same.

My only reservation so far with a mini is the complaints about the mags. I think someone is making a DBM that uses AICS mags, but I don't remember who it is.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that velocity is off by a lot. Hopefully he meant something much much faster!

Thanks. It was a typo. I fixed it 2889. Mags work perfect with the DIP alum bottom metal. I cut down the one in the pics for a 4 round cap. I had vel upto 3000 with TAC, but it was a kind of hot load.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a mini heavy barrel in an Oryx chassis or the one sold by Brownell’s?
I’d like to see if someone can post up close pics of the mag release lever and how much clearance is around the barrel to chassis.
thanks

Ah, I figured. I know whatshisname that runs the 6mm AR site runs them pretty slow, so I wasn't sure.

It is CDI that makes the AICS bottom metal, but the mags are a lot longer than the action so you're still limited in length. I like the release better though....

What is the max internal length of a Howa mini grendel mag? Or max COAL?

Does anyone have a mini heavy barrel in an Oryx chassis or the one sold by Brownell’s?
I’d like to see if someone can post up close pics of the mag release lever and how much clearance is around the barrel to chassis.
thanks
Just some pics from Google that I found
images (5).jpeghttps___www.grandviewoutdoors.com_uploads_images_Howa-Mini-Action-in-65-Grendel-photo-by-Guy-...jpeg

Ah, I figured. I know whatshisname that runs the 6mm AR site runs them pretty slow, so I wasn't sure.

It is CDI that makes the AICS bottom metal, but the mags are a lot longer than the action so you're still limited in length. I like the release better though....

2.32" from what I have read for the Howa mag

This might help ...

IMG_20191104_134700.jpg

Reactions: stilesg57
Just what I was looking for. Thanks, both of you. My ar load is 2.28" so a bolt build would work great.