• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

I just finished an Oryx build on my 24" Howa 1500 SA, i am devasted to find my 24" did not come with a threaded handle for 5/16-24 bolt knobs. My brother who built his 6mm 1500 SA has a threaded bolt handle. Besides sending mine out to a gunsmith or getting a clamp on style knob, is there a way to replace the bolt handle itself?

Thanks, will post pics soon

I just finished an Oryx build on my 24" Howa 1500 SA, i am devasted to find my 24" did not come with a threaded handle for 5/16-24 bolt knobs. My brother who built his 6mm 1500 SA has a threaded bolt handle. Besides sending mine out to a gunsmith or getting a clamp on style knob, is there a way to replace the bolt handle itself?

Can't help on telling you how to replace the bolt handle.

But would you mind sharing with us where yo ur brother got his and where you got yours from? I'm considering a build pretty soon and if I end up getting another howa to build off, I'd probably prefer to have the threaded bolt as an option.

Can't help on telling you how to replace the bolt handle.

But would you mind sharing with us where yo ur brother got his and where you got yours from? I'm considering a build pretty soon and if I end up getting another howa to build off, I'd probably prefer to have the threaded bolt as an option.

I ordered mine from Brownells, as they have some sales running still but mine was during the holidays, so a 6.5mm 24" heavy barreled action was about 499$ and i bought the MDT Oryx chassis 399$. I love it ill post some pictures up here in a moment. But if i could go back i would contact brownells for them to give me options on ones with the threaded bolt handle, at this point it looks like ill have to send it off to a gunsmith to have it done.

Reactions: stello1001
Is anyone changing barrels at home on these? If so, how do you go about with it? I've never had or done a switch barrel rifle so I literally have no idea where to start. I see some barrel manufacturers are offering howa 1500 prefits. Any info would be appreciated!
I have a Criterion prefit on my 1500. It shoots every bit as well as my TL3/Proof barrel

6D119FB4-D6F2-42E9-B92D-9DE5281366EE.jpeg

I received an email from legacy sports the distributer of Howa rifles and they said the 6.5 PRC heavy barrel action 24 in will be available in Mar/Apr 2020. Also they will discontinue the KRG Bravo stocks.

Last edited:
Have gotten around to getting my 1500 into a KRG Bravo and have a custom muzzle break installed. Will become my NATO class PSR Rifle in .308. Developing a load with 175gn Berger OTMs

Attachments

• 489DABF0-8847-4826-84DB-E6BA9DDF49F7.jpeg
    489DABF0-8847-4826-84DB-E6BA9DDF49F7.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 02E9D1EA-CD6B-4568-8E27-4D323CABF8B3.jpeg
    02E9D1EA-CD6B-4568-8E27-4D323CABF8B3.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 148
Thanks. Very happy with the work Brandon did. Will definitely be sending other work his way.

Howdy,

I ordered a Howa Bravo recently hoping it would come with the threaded bolt knob, but I got the version with the standard bolt knob. Not sure why there are two version of the Howa Bravo, but there are. Also, as another mentioned, it looks like the Howa Bravo is no longer in the Catalog for 2020. :(

Now... On to your actual question. AFAIK, you can't easily swap bolt handles on a Howa. On a Savage, it is a simple swap, but not so on a Howa. I ended up going with Howa's own HTBK clamp-on knob, which works pretty well.

Scott

Also, as another mentioned, it looks like the Howa Bravo is no longer in the Catalog for 2020. :(

Likely wasn't the biggest seller if they're dropping it, but I wonder if part of this is because you can so easily put one together yourself by buying the BA of your choice from Brownells and then drop it in a Bravo chassis, even at a little cost savings.

Here's three Howas and a Remington. I don't have a lot of money for the number of guns I want and all of my builds come in at under $1000 USD Rem 700 30-06 in MDT LSS-XL chassis and Magpul stock with Hogue grip and Vortex DBT 4-16x scope, Howa 1500 6.5CM in MDT ESS chassis and stock with a Bushnell AR 6.5CM 4.5-18x, Howa 1500 .300WM with a Vector Optics Martel 4-16X56 ( and miscellaneous parts) total cost of this build only $670 USD incl. bipod and scope, and Howa 1500 .223 in a Boyd's TH stock with BSA tactical 4-14X.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 203
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 188
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: delinquent pleb
Finally got my bolt back from Kampfeld Customs, awesome work! Highly recommend, cant wait to go out and shoot it!

Build
Howa 1500 SA 6.5 CM 24 Heavy
Oryx Chassis
Oryx Stock Spacers
Ultradyne Pegasus Tanker
Vortex Diamondback tactical
Vortex Scope Rings
Atlas BT47 LW17
Outerimpact 20 MOA picatinny rail
MDT Vertical Grip
MDT Hybrid Poly/Metal Magazine
Bolt
Kampfeld Custom Fluting
Kampfeld Custom Tactical Knurled Bolt Knob
Kampfeld Custom Bolt Handle Skeletonizing

Will be shooting it this weekend, still debating on a Timney trigger and if i want to upgrade to the Viper PST Gen2 or some nicer glass in general.

Cheers
Howa1.jpg
Howa2.jpg
Howa3.jpg

Howdy,

I ordered a Howa Bravo recently hoping it would come with the threaded bolt knob, but I got the version with the standard bolt knob. Not sure why there are two version of the Howa Bravo, but there are. Also, as another mentioned, it looks like the Howa Bravo is no longer in the Catalog for 2020. :(

Now... On to your actual question. AFAIK, you can't easily swap bolt handles on a Howa. On a Savage, it is a simple swap, but not so on a Howa. I ended up going with Howa's own HTBK clamp-on knob, which works pretty well.

Scott

This is correct, i had purchased a Howa 1500 SA 6.5 24" and it had no threaded bolt knob. I sent mine out to Kampfeld Customs for bolt fluting, handle skeletonizing and the threaded bolt knob upgrade. Side note, my brothers indeed came with a threaded bolt knob but i noticed the only difference between mine and his was he has a Howa 1500 SA 6MM 26" inch barrel. I am under the impression if i had went with a 26" barrel i maybe would have got a threaded bolt knob. But i am not sure...

The summary of this post is, i had looked far and wide for a bolt handle but apparently it is almost impossible for a Howa, i tried the clamp on bolt knobs but i could not find that good of a fit. (They always had small play or the orings supplied were to large). So i just sent mine out for gunsmithing and i am glad i did =)

Side note, my brothers indeed came with a threaded bolt knob but i noticed the only difference between mine and his was he has a Howa 1500 SA 6MM 26" inch barrel. I am under the impression if i had went with a 26" barrel i maybe would have got a threaded bolt knob. But i am not sure...

You might be right: my 26” heavy profile BA in 6.5CM came with a threaded bolt handle and knob. My 22” sporter in 6.5CM came with a standard non-threaded knob. I figured it was due to barrel profile but it might just be barrel length.

You might be right: my 26” heavy profile BA in 6.5CM came with a threaded bolt handle and knob. My 22” sporter in 6.5CM came with a standard non-threaded knob. I figured it was due to barrel profile but it might just be barrel length.

This Guns and Ammo review of the Howa Bravo shows a 24" 6.5 with a threaded bolt handle. That's the same gun that I ordered but mine didn't include it. Perhaps there was a change over from standard to threaded bolt handles at some point in time...

Guns and Ammo - Howa Bravo Review

If anyone is interested in a G&G Varminting Bolt Knob for your howa let me know. I bought two but will never need the spare. Save you a few bucks and the shipping time from South Africa.

***GONE****

-J

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in a G&G Varminting Bolt Knob for your howa let me know. I bought two but will never need the spare. Save you a few bucks and the shipping time from South Africa.

-J
I’ll take it if still available. Pls PM payment details. Thanks

stello1001... I had them hosted on Imgur, but I have now attached them... Hopefully that works. Thanks for letting me know!

Last edited:
Here's mine from yesterday doing break in. Krieger 8 twist 6.5 creedmoor, vortex razor he gen 2, KRG bravo heavy, area419 brake, Timney trigger. Weighs in at 19 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_110705.jpg
    IMG_20200229_110705.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20200225_190604.jpg
    IMG_20200225_190604.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: stello1001
Here's mine from yesterday doing break in. Krieger 8 twist 6.5 creedmoor, vortex razor he gen 2, KRG bravo heavy, area419 brake, Timney trigger. Weighs in at 19 lbs.

How’d you get the weight up? I’ve got a 26” heavy barreled action, the 419 brake, the Razor G2, a Warne bipod, and am planning on putting it all in a Bravo chassis this spring...but I’m at like 12lbs now, which means ~15lbs all in. Where are your additional 4lbs coming from? What’s a “bravo heavy”?

I’m trying to up the weight for stability from the bench btw. I’ll never carry this thing far in the field or anything, just a range toy.

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM
Finally getting this guy out to the range for the first time:

1583075518326.jpeg

Weatherby Vanguard — aka Howa 1500 — in 6.5CM. This one has a fluted and threaded barrel and was just $440 at Kentucky Gun Co last December. I love tuning the HACT triggers but for a long range hunting/field rifle this one was already dialed in perfectly (if anything it’s a little light).

Topped it with the Bushy LRHS in Talley lightweight rings. I’ll break her in today, get some groups and report back. This is my 2nd Howa 1500 after my ultralight Mini in 6.5 Grendel. The third is the barreled action long range toy Ive been piecing together for a year and still need to throw in a chassis.

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM
How’d you get the weight up? I’ve got a 26” heavy barreled action, the 419 brake, the Razor G2, a Warne bipod, and am planning on putting it all in a Bravo chassis this spring...but I’m at like 12lbs now, which means ~15lbs all in. Where are your additional 4lbs coming from? What’s a “bravo heavy”?

I’m trying to up the weight for stability from the bench btw. I’ll never carry this thing far in the field or anything, just a range toy.
buttstock, handgrip, lead shot + foam.

Howa APC with Can On The Range _E 08-03-19_1.jpg

My pretty much stock APC 6.5CM w/GG&G bipod, Athlon Midas TAC 6-24, Burris 25MOA base & Signature XTR rings, GSL Multi-Cal can, sitting on a Precision Underground ELR bag.
A set of lower rings and Atlasworxs bottom metal will get swapped in soon.

Howa 1500 American Flag .308
Nico Sterling Diamond LR 6-16x50

Attachments

• Howa 308.jpg
    Howa 308.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 180
It’s a Limbsaver Airtech 10812. Same one the Choate stock uses. It’s been so long since I set up that stock I am not sure about the adjustment.

Here's three Howas and a Remington. I don't have a lot of money for the number of guns I want and all of my builds come in at under $1000 USD Rem 700 30-06 in MDT LSS-XL chassis and Magpul stock with Hogue grip and Vortex DBT 4-16x scope, Howa 1500 6.5CM in MDT ESS chassis and stock with a Bushnell AR 6.5CM 4.5-18x, Howa 1500 .300WM with a Vector Optics Martel 4-16X56 ( and miscellaneous parts) total cost of this build only $670 USD incl. bipod and scope, and Howa 1500 .223 in a Boyd's TH stock with BSA tactical 4-14X.
Do you mind if I ask for some more info on these builds? How the heck did you do them for so cheap! Currently pricing out a 6.5 cm or 6.5 prc with either a krg bravo or mdt chassis. Just the BA and chassis puts me at 1k just wondering how ya did it. Thanks

Hi there, I managed to do it so cheaply because I bought all the component parts over time and on sale or secondhand, with already attached mods like 20 MOA rails and muzzle brakes to nearly new rifles. The MDT chassis were all purchased new in the Black Friday sale along with Mags x10 for a fraction of the price normally. I also am not afraid to buy stuff like accessories and butts, buffer tubes etc. from China and eBay. Some of the optics are not top drawer and many might poo poo me for not spending a lot on them but they are all really nice and functional and I don't care what others think so long as it works for me. Likewise rather than spending a load on a tactical bolt handle and gunsmithing to fit it I put on Hornady bolt balls for $10 USD which are fantastic in function and look like the old school Swedish CG63 and CG80 style. Taking your time with an end in mind and searching for what you need for the build and capitalising on people throwing money into something they never use or got bored of etc. is a great way to save on the build. For example my .300 WM build had everything else ready to go as soon as the right rifle came up secondhand for the right price then I literally threw it all together in a morning and had it it ready to shoot by the afternoon. It's great fun when they are completed. Also sometimes there is stuff on the rifle you use that is superfluous to your build so I sell my bits and pieces and recoup some money that way. Also I have a lot of rifles so I have some spare accessories lying around usually and can utilise as many of those that are appropriate. Today I've just started my mini PRS build based on a CZ455 Varmint that I bought new for $410 USD. I already had the MDT chassis (bought in Black Fri sale before finding the rifle) and buffer tube and stock and bolt ball and M-lock rail with pushbutton sling attachment and Leupold CZ rimfire steel rings that I got as part of deal for some other 26mm rings recently (essentially free) and I'm transferring the Vector Optics scope currently on my .300WM Howa to it as it is a great scope and 1" tube but 80MOA of internal elevation adjustment. I have an Atlas replica bipod which works really well and had a Magpul grip that came as part of a deal on a stock for my 30-06 Rem MDT build (also essentially cost me nothing). So I guess what I do is I formulate exactly what I want to build down to the fine details, then do a lot of scanning and researching and scouring sales etc. and collecting sometimes secondhand sometimes NOS or bought used once parts over time and then when I have everything I put it all together and hey presto an awesome rifle for not too much money.

That set looks brilliant. KRG Bravo is on my Howa.

Could you tell us what sort of Magazines they are?

Howdy dp,

Those are the new MDT "hybrid" polymer mags with metal feed lips and a window. I haven't tested them yet, but they feel like quality kit, like all of the other MDT products I have seen.

Scott

mdt_poly_metal_white_01.jpg

Last edited:
Got a new one folks.

Howa 1500 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag

Equipped with a Bipod, a 3-12x44 Scope, a Hogue Overmold Stock, and a Field and Stream Ammo Holder & Wrap, here’s my Deer, Elk, and Long Range rifle.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg