• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Howa weapon systems report

Daryl licht

Long Range Savant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Texas Hill Country
I am a recent convert to the howa weapon system and my only complaint is to myself...why did you wait so long! Granted I have changed every thing but the barrelled action but what a barreled action it is! Mine is a 20" barrel chambered in .308 caliber.
You can't beat a flat bottom action for bedding, and the howa has it. You can barely beat a howa trigger but it can be done and my pick goes to Rifle Basix...I like mine set to break like a one pound icicle. You need a strong bolt that is smooth, strong, has a fast lock time, a great extractor, and once again howa has it. The factory barrel loves to throw 175 bergers through the same hole and with 41.7 grains of powder, a federal bench rest primer and neck sized lc brass it does it with a monotony that keeps a stupid smile on my face and my shooting partner rubbing his head. Although I had initial reservations about a brake being needed I had a badger fte muzzle brake installed and couldn't be more pleased. With the scope cranked up to 25 power I can watch bullet impacts at 100 yards
I've taken the fine BC medalist stock, rasped the wings off, did a little work on the grip area to suit my hands and glass bedded it. I really like the stock packs from tactical works and my howa is running one. I prefer the pack system for gaining some elevation, if needed for a proper cheek weld, as it's softer, infinitely adjustable, and has room for this weapons dope. This weapon carries A 20 min. base, badger 34mm rings and a SB 5 x 25 p4f.
As I stated previously this system hovers between 3/8" and 1/2" or worse depending on wether or not I'm having a good day calling the wind. Here in the hill country of Texas there is hardly ever a day without the wind blowing, and if a day like that does happen to come by..I'm out of town.
Now I know opinions are like assholes...everybody has one, but this one is mine...HOWA ROCKS! I now know why the hide offered it as a entry level system. There will come a day I'll have it rebarreled, but that won't be any time soon. She has over 5000 logged rounds and the equilibrium method of bore maintenance has been practiced since break in and the proof of that decision being sound is in her group size. Although to be fair she has lost 100 fps since round number one heard the magic words "SEND IT". Almost forgot she's running cdi bottom metal and steel magazines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you. I thought I'd see what could be done with a 500 dollar bill and after looking at all the weapons available at this price point I chose the howa. I continue to be pleasantly surprised at its capabilities. I have been shooting this system in its present configuration for the past couple years and it is now my go to weapon when the hogs show up. I have taken her out to 1150 and have no problem making hits on steel as long as the wind cooperates...although it does use up most of my optics elevation. The berger otm's really do make the transition back through the subsonic zone without a hiccup and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to max out their systems performance.

Nice rifle and great shooting. Great to hear Howa is functioning so well. I think we all forget you can do some great shooting LR for much less than $6000-12,000!

I love my Howa, and I'm glad to see more and more shooters trying them! My load is similar except my rifle prefers 168 Barnes or A-Max for sub 1/2 MOA on the "good days" and stays at 1/2" the rest of the time. Great rifle, action is awesome and I agree on the trigger choice!

Just got a Howa Varmint in 308 with thumbhole stock yesterday. I'll eventually go to a Manners. Have not shot it yet as I still need scope, base and rings. I'm impressed with the overall fit and finish.

I absolutely love this little beauty and she shot just fine in the factory form (hovered right around one moa) for hog killing but the factory stock was just too thin for my hands. I just have a hard time leaving things alone once I start messing with them and once her group size started dropping with the addition of a stock and some bedding I just kept going. I usually have bags on that table in the picture as the hill right behind the rifle is 500 yards away and the one behind that is 1500 or so. Many a hog has lost their lives on that 500 yard hill. I just screw in 12 min. of elevation, adjust for the wind let a breath out and squeeze. I've been pulling triggers for over 50 years now and have used nearly every system available and for my two cents the most important things in long range shooting are no. 1 trigger time and no. 2 optics...the weapon itself and caliber come in a distant third. If a new shooter is going to spend a few thousand to get started I personally advise them to buy a good factory rifle, half of what they've got left on optics and the rest on ammo. If pushed to pick a weapon I pick HOWA.

I've got the 20" barrel version and just got back from shooting and she shot a witnessed 1" group at 300 with the load listed and chronographed at 2560