• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Hunting optics

Marriedman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Brandon Ms.
OK guys???? Looking for some good lowlight hunting optics for my new 7WSM package. Give me some ideas of what to look at in a lowlight scope for that late afternoon hunt.

Re: Hunting optics

On the cheaper, go with Zeiss Conquest or Meopta. Higher end, Zeiss, Swaroski, Schimdt and Bender.

Personally, my next scope will be a Meopta 7x56. The glass is incredible on these. Great with little light. Turrets are not adjustable, but for where I hunt I don't need them to be.

Eddie

For me, I use nothing but Schmidt&Bender on my hunting rifles. They are great in low light and tough as nails.

For long range hunting check out the S&B 3-12x42 Klassik. Here's mine:
riflepics005-1.jpg

For shorter range hunting, I use the S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42:

riflepics002-1.jpg

All of my hunting rifles sport Meopta glass as they are awsome in low light and hold their zero without emptying the wallet. I have NF on my competition guns.

It seems to work for me, but your mileage may vary,

For low light performance I love the Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 its amazing glass.

Diavari 3-12x56...great glass, big objective and FOV. I dont think it gets any better for last light work. The FFP design is also a plus, as it is still very visible at power in low light.
My 7wsm will be wearing one when APA finishes it.

The Schmidt & Bender ZENITH range are very good. I am waiting on a 1.5-6x42 FD7.

BTW, nice Sako!
smile.gif

The NXS 2.5-10x24 and 2.5-10x35 are compact, clear and quite bright.

Leupold 4.5-14x 50mm is lightweight, very compact, and the 50mm objective allows use of "normal" 30mm Badger rings with a picatinny rail. Probably need medium rings if you are using a Warne or leupold Weaver type low-profile base.

Side focus is nice. 100moa of turret movement is better than anything out there. Weighs about 20oz. Varmint, TMR or Mil-Dot reticle is excellent. If cost isn't major issue, get illum reticle mk4 with M2 1/2 moa zero-stop turrets and ballistic turret dial for your load.

Great in the shadows. Not "the best" in optic terms, yet weighs about half of the "great glass" scopes. Damn rugged, Very compact. Ocular lens is very compact. Short ocular lens allows more position variation for mounting.

I have determined that for a field-use rifle, and a hunting rifle will likely be carried extensively unless stand shooting qualifies as "hunting" in your book; weight is more critical than optical quality. Scope design is also important. Long ocular lens housing, long turret housing, and long tube and objective lens groups make scopes of that genre extremely specialized. May as well hunt with a Unertl using return to battery mounts.

If weight and overall length don't matter then maybe the Leupold 4.5-14 isn't for you. If you want lightweight excellence with all the features mentioned in a very compact size, plus arguably the best/fastest warranty service going, then it is worth considering. Optical quality is excellent, so you really lose nothing. Not like most hunters are glassing with their scopes while in the field anyway out of courtesy to others you may encounter. I tend to carry a spotting scope and binoculars while afield anyway.

I've tried them all prefer Swaro and Zeiss (for me, top of the pile is Zeiss due to FOV.)

I owned a Meopta for a day, the eye relief was too short for the 300Wm it was going on. If the 7mm is light-weight, be aware that Meoptas can be on the short side of eye relief - or they were a year ago.