• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I let the nitrogen out of my Scope...how to refill it?

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
First, please spare me with the "just junk it and buy a good one" as I will be purchasing a Vortex Viper along with an SWFA within the next few months.

Here is my conundrum, tonight, I thought I could unscrew a "nubbin" on my variable magnifaction adjustment. I assumed it was screwed onto the magnifaction ring, but it infact was a screw that the factory used to fill the scope with nitrogen or argon, or whatever it is Bushy puts in this scope. It had an oring on it, and soon as I cracked it loose I heard a quick "phfooosh" of releasing pressure from within the scope.

For reference, here is the scope and the nubbin I'm referring to is on the mag ring. The reason I wanted to remove it was because on rare occassion I have ran my knuckles across it and it shreds the shit out of my skin! Blood everywhere! I should have just filed it down....damn't. SWFA has a quick finger adjust that is removeable, I guess I thought this was removeable the same way. Click the pic and you'll see what I tried to remove.

So, what's the best way to refill this thing with nitrogen? Or am I out of luck.
Thanks!
itemB006UJ02Z8.jpg

I don't think you can do anything. There is a special method to gas sealing that I don't think you can create in a "garage environment". Bh-ltr is correct send it in and don't explain anything. Dollars to donuts they send you a similar replacement. About six years ago I sent in a scope that I had dropped to Burris. They said it was clearly my fault the scope was damaged but they also wanted me to remain a customer they ended up giving me 60% off any of their scopes. I bought a much much nicer scope than I normally could. I ended up selling the scope a couple years later and the profits alone from my investment netted me a very nice Nikon monarch 4-16x42 mildot scope. Hope this helps bro I've been in your shoes and it sucks.

If you tell them you simply turned the screw, they will not have to molest your scope farther to examine it.
Tell em. Best policy. They will charge it up.

Some things are best when treated like a sore dick... DON'T FUCK WITH IT.

I wouldn't send it in for repair knowing I fucked it up and not tell them. Most likely they will recharge it for free and send it back even if you tell them. They'll probably be happy if you're up front with them and don't have to go through the whole scope as another member pointed out. Worst case scenario you pay them a few bucks to purge it.

I'm sure you're not the first. Just humble and tell em straight out.... I've had to make similar calls over the years knowing I was the brunt of the break room jokes for the afternoon....lol I'm betting they fix you up.... :)

I wouldn't send it in for repair knowing I fucked it up and not tell them. Most likely they will recharge it for free and send it back even if you tell them. They'll probably be happy if you're up front with them and don't have to go through the whole scope as another member pointed out. Worst case scenario you pay them a few bucks to purge it.
This is good advice!

One way or another, it needs to go back to the factory.

Whatever story you tell them (or not) is up to you.

DON'T listen to these guys. They are making a big deal out of nothing, get a fire extinguisher, some rubber hose, a can of lye, a jar of vasolene, an inner tube needle..... You can do it! :)

Adults recognize that when you screw up, you own up and you pay up. Children lie. If you broke it, why pretend you didn't? They'll figure it out anyway...how do you think they fill these things?

FH

Yea, that's the age old problem known as scope queef. Call Bushnell, and tell them what happened.

Chip

Adults recognize that when you screw up, you own up and you pay up. Children lie. If you broke it, why pretend you didn't?

Amen. It's all about integrity.

I use Dust-Off Nitrogen can to re-fill the Bubba scopes I have found over the years. While the scope was not taken down to a couple of Torr's of Vacuum, it does work and stops fogging. For a cheap, quick fix, it's worth the effort.

Dust off is usually difluoroethane or trifluoroethane. Although, I could see if you turned the can upside down, and put liquid inside the scope, then tighten the screw. When it flashed to a gas, it would take up more volume and create a slight over pressure.

Do not do it on a fancy scope, send it in and let bushnell take care of it. They are a great company.

Sage advice indeed.

Joe

We use it at work for very expensive lens cleaning. It's been around for many years. It is Water-Pumped Nitrogen in a can. I use the straw tube and tilt the can a little, The gas is not a liquid of course,but a few second slow burst will displace most of the room air with nitrogen. It works for me. I'll see if i can get the product code.

Don't "fix" it if it works...

Redneckbmxer24 summed it up perfectly. I’m trying not to berate you (demolitionman) – but your actions beg the question of “WTF we’re you thinking”, (or why weren't you)? Hopefully you’ve learned your lesson and it will stick, especially if Bushnell doesn’t void your warranty (which they have every right to since your unauthorized tinkering de-pressurized the scope). Don't "fix" it if it works.

I don’t know which department you’d need to speak with at Bushnell, but when you contact them I think that you should be up front with them. Be candid and respectful. Letting them know what happened instead of trying to play them will allow them to go straight to resolution of the problem instead of wasting time and effort diagnosing what caused it. They might do a full diagnostic and cleaning, but that should be at their option to be thorough instead of as a diagnostic approach.

Keith

I have an SWFA 16x on the way! This thread was a how do I do this myself, in house, at home without mfgr support. Somewhere along the line the obvious advice of sending it back to mfgr came up which is great advice! Now the advice has become centered around integrity and honesty or lack thereof. This is all fine and well, but like I had originally asked before thread derailment ensues:

How do I personally go about purging my own scope? Thanks.

This inquiry of mine isn't meant to offend those who think attempting such a thing is immature or stupid in some way. I see already that there are many useful well thought out replies that directly help answer the question.
Cheers

Last edited:
Actually, if the scope was pressurized, and you let it out, especially without taking the screw all the way out, the scope is still filled with nitrogen. It is just no longer pressurized.

Actually, if the scope was pressurized, and you let it out, especially without taking the screw all the way out, the scope is still filled with nitrogen. It is just no longer pressurized.

This is correct. Just because nitrogen came out doesn't mean any moisture got in- that's the reason we put inert gas into the scope to begin with, we put the scope in a vacuum to remove any air then refill with an inert gas to prevent the moisture in the air causing the scope to fog up. If it was me and you need the scope, just button it back up and you will be fine until you get your new one then send it back to get refilled.
There is a way to refill at home but you must have access to medical grade nitrogen- usually can be found at most welding supply houses. Unscrew the ocular adjustment all the way out, remove screw and fill with nitrogen at a VERY slow rate. To much pressure will blow grease and contamination on your lenses. Very low pressure for a few minutes (5-8) then put screw back in and tighten down ocular and you have just pressurized your scope with nitrogen.
In order for this to work well you need to be in a low humidity environment.
Do I recommend this? Not really but you asked so I answered- it is better than having regular air in the scope.
If you have any more questions let me know.
Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Plange, Pinecone, thanks for the replies.

I had the gun setting on a table, scope argon "filler hole" screw pointed towards ceiling. I completely removed the screw had it out just a few seconds as I quickly rescrewed it and the attached oring back in instantly because it occurred to me what I had done. Argon, being heavier than outside air, should have stayed in it for the most part eh? This isnt something I'm losing sleep over. Inquiring minds like myself like to know. Thanks!

Maybe a tad off topic, but would it be possible to add nitrogen to a scope that was made without it.

I have a Weaver K 2.5 on my M1903A4 sniper rifle. This Weaver was filled with South Texas Dry air from El Paso when it was made. Add to that it uses vertical spilt rings. You had to take the eye piece off to get it into the rings.

I'm wondering if it's possible to fill it with nitrogen and can it be sealed?

This thread is Hilarious.
Just carry on like nothing happened. I'll bet you never have an issue with it.

You can fill it with nitrogen, but not sure about sealing it.

I remember seeing an article years ago about Leupold. The way they filled the scopes was to assemble them in a box filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is a bit heavier than air, so if you fill an open topped box with nitrogen, then submerge the scope and parts, you end up with nitrogen filled.

For the record, Demo-man, I never got the idea that you were in any way considering anything dis-honest. I think I'd just tell Bushnell that I got tired of skinning myself and tried to remedy it, not realizing what that screw did-----I'll bet money that they fix it for free, and maybe they will round the screw in future so it won't cut others......

Hope they care for it for free...

WTF, sorry had to laugh

what in gods name possessed you to arbitrarily just start cranking on scope ... stop finger fucking crap

Dont think you can make it right, call bushy and send it in for repair

Next time you get the urge do not act on it

If you fill an open top container with nitrogen, it does not immediately leave the box.

Nitrogen is dry, air has water vapor, and water vapor is a LOT less dense that nitrogen.

Last edited:
Basic physics:
o Nitrogen is slightly less dense than air, therefore it is lighter and does not "sink".
o In order to hear a "phfooosh" (term op used), it is pressurized > 1 ATM, therefore you will not "DIY", unless you have a chamber. Furthermore, the optic is probably evacuated in a chamber with a vacuum pump, but this is only a SWAG.

Send the thing back to Bushnell and let the pros do it.

WTF, sorry had to laugh

what in gods name possessed you to arbitrarily just start cranking on scope ... stop finger fucking crap

Dont think you can make it right, call bushy and send it in for repair

Next time you get the urge do not act on it

Right on. Thanks for the heads up Jedi. Appreciate it. I was using a 3/4" drive extension and socket as well as a crescent wrench. I had to use a breaker bar on the thing to get it apart.