• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want my Dumb TV

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Two Places at Once
Looking at new TVs and every single one I can find has some combination of "Smart", Alexa, Hey Google, Amazon, Chromecast, FireTV, Android, Siri Remotes, and on and on and on.

I just want to turn the damn thing on a watch without a bunch of microphones and trackers trying to figure out what I'm about to better profile me and sell me more stuff. Any ideas? What ever happened to actual Privacy?

I hear ya, man. If you find one, let me know.

Screenshot_20220411-200812.png

A smart tv is never "smart" if you never connect it to the wifi. All of their microphones and other listening gadgets are rendered useless if they have nothing to talk to.

Otherwise, buy a "Commercial TV" that's typically used for displays only and don't come with any of the Hey Google/Alexa bullshit. They usually still have wifi, again just never connect it to the internet. Plug in your HDMI from whatever is sending your video signal, and run with it.

A smart tv is never "smart" if you never connect it to the wifi. All of their microphones and other listening gadgets are rendered useless if they have nothing to talk to.

Otherwise, buy a "Commercial TV" that's typically used for displays only and don't come with any of the Hey Google/Alexa bullshit. They usually still have wifi, again just never connect it to the internet. Plug in your HDMI from whatever is sending your video signal, and run with it.

In theory a good idea. However even if you don't have wifi our neighbor does and your devices will connect through that. Public wifi/net is coming (its actually here) and your devices will connect regardless of if you want to. Their wifi protected? it will connect through phone signals.
WE have met the enemy and he is us.

This thread is being recorded.

In theory a good idea. However even if you don't have wifi our neighbor does and your devices will connect through that. Public wifi/net is coming (its actually here) and your devices will connect regardless of if you want to. Their wifi protected? it will connect through phone signals.

Fully and permanently disabling Wi-Fi is easy with a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers. You really don’t even need the pliers, just unplug the Wi-Fi module.

I doubt the TV has the ability to crack the wpa2 password encryption on your neighbors wifi. Unless your neighbor is the last person on earth with unprotected WiFi.

Reactions: BurtG
I have a 63" flat screen that has no cameras, or microphones...i'll make you a deal. You buy me a new 84" and bring it by, and i'll make the exchange. Here's the thing...we have to do it while my wife's at work, and then, we have to make a bet to see how long before she notices the tv grew a few inches.

Branden

yea , I want my dumb tv back as well and my old dumb phone to hell with these fancy track my every movement phones what happened to the old bake a lite phones that weighed 10lbs on a 3 inch cord so you knew where it was at all times , and dumb cars that you had to drive the hell out of cause they had no power staring . lol

yea , I want my dumb tv back as well and my old dumb phone to hell with these fancy track my every movement phones what happened to the old bake a lite phones that weighed 10lbs on a 3 inch cord so you knew where it was at all times , and dumb cars that you had to drive the hell out of cause they had no power staring . lol
All are available you just have to buy them.

Last "TV" I recently picked up is a 4k HD computer monitor. It has 2 HDMI and 1 Displayport inputs. I have my computer, cable and Roku plugged into it. No mic, no camera no "smart" crap.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Last "TV" I recently picked up is a 4k HD computer monitor. It has 2 HDMI and 1 Displayport inputs. I have my computer, cable and Roku plugged into it. No mic, no camera no "smart" crap.
Your Roku remote is doing the dirty work if you have their box connected to internet.

I have a 63" flat screen that has no cameras, or microphones...i'll make you a deal. You buy me a new 84" and bring it by, and i'll make the exchange. Here's the thing...we have to do it while my wife's at work, and then, we have to make a bet to see how long before she notices the tv grew a few inches.

Branden
I can tell you with, utter certainty, she will notice the very first time she glances in its direction… (ask how I know… twice…) “Is your tv bigger…?” “No, honey… I just mounted it on the wall…” yeah… no…!

Reactions: Herb Stoner

Branden
Sounds good - where are you?

Black Friday TVs are often "dumb" since the "smart" features are not built in which allows for a lower price point.

You cannot get the all black channel w/o smart, no love after lock up, no growing up hip hop atlanta, or marriage boot camp, or god forbid, no temptation island, get fucking real here

A small piece of electrical tape solves the camera issue.

Reactions: Maggot
Not really. No mic, no camera. All they know is that I like movies with lots of explosions.
I thought some ROKU remotes now have voice. Mine does not; but many new ones do.

I thought some ROKU remotes now have voice. Mine does not; but many new ones do.
The Roku I just picked up recently is the Roku Express 4k. It was like 30 bucks and has no mic/camera crap.

The Roku I just picked up recently is the Roku Express 4k. It was like 30 bucks and has no mic/camera crap.
Good to know they still exist!!! I have an older TCL TV and I'm pretty sure no camera and no mic. Thanks for posting that model!!

Keep telling yourself that.

Your tinfoil is a little tight.

I'm guessing you're scared of it, and only have a loose idea on how it works?

I had a guy tell me they could watch you through the old tube tv's and they used the antenna to beam the signal back to the NSA headquarters.
Don't be that guy.

I had a guy tell me they could watch you through the old tube tv's and they used the antenna to beam the signal back to the NSA headquarters.
Don't be that guy.
Your guy likely was conflating it with fact that what was ON the screen of a CRT could actually be remotely seen:

"I dont want my smart TV listening to me"... OK...

says the guy who buys guns & gun accessories, probably buys NFA stuff, drives a modern vehicle with GPS, carries a cell phone, uses credit cards, talks on Internet forums, and on, and on, and on.. the fact that he's asking this question on an Internet forum proves he has little knowledge of how this shit works.

Don't be that guy.
On the contrary, having worked in RF communications as well as the IOT (Internet of Things) you don't get to "turn off" your connectivity. You assume you pull out your wifi and your TV is now "dumb". Wireless communications is now so ingrained in technology there is no off switch. Your car can be killed (turned off remotely). It has no wifi (well some of them do, but I digress). How does that happen. Not all communication happens via a specific technology. With our phones, internet, and general use of the RF and Microwave frequency YOU ARE CONNECTED.

or you are in denial.

I am scared of it. I helped invent it.

On the contrary, having worked in RF communications as well as the IOT (Internet of Things) you don't get to "turn off" your connectivity. You assume you pull out your wifi and your TV is now "dumb". Wireless communications is now so ingrained in technology there is no off switch. Your car can be killed (turned off remotely). It has no wifi (well some of them do, but I digress). How does that happen. Not all communication happens via a specific technology. With our phones, internet, and general use of the RF and Microwave frequency YOU ARE CONNECTED.

or you are in denial.

I am scared of it. I helped invent it.

Without an antenna what's the broadcast range?

As an example take a look at this:

See an antenna? Good luck cutting that one off, is part of the board, has wifi and bluetooth. This one isn't even visible like some older designs that you might get lucky and scratch enough off to disable.

The square wave looking trace on the bottom is the antenna on this one:

• Haha
Reactions: ken226 and DocRDS
Very cute. you think TVs only operate in VHF/UHF. How very 1950s of you.

Since we can pick up radio signals from Voyager and until recently Pioneer from BILLIONS of miles and power radiation goes as R^3, i don't think broadcast range is a problem. Their max power was just under 500 watts. right now its closer to 300

Whats the range of your cell phone. Where is its antenna?

You know satphones military uses? Thats a range of 23000 miles (to geo synch orbit). Not to mention most people hook up their tv to the internet.

You know you used to be able to set the time on your digital clock by using an AC outlet. How do you think that works?

You ever see the power amplifiers on these things? Wires smaller than a human hair. Antenna are the same size.

Last edited:
  • Angry
For reference--here is a 15 year old chip. I took the picture with my cell--the fuzzy thing on the left is the end of a ball point pen. Circuitry so small you can't even make it out. Its a wireless chip (blackout portion contains tech details). Its a trophy so in plexiglass or whatever, so hard to get a good photo.
1649868876622.png

Non-wireless chip, but gives you a sense of size--again very outdated. This picture is an area the size of your thumbnail.

1649869234261.png

I was referencing the WiFi antenna.

I'm not sure the NSA cares enough to put backup listening devices beyond just assuming you'll connect to the internet.

I can't help but picture you as the old man in enemy of the state. Complete with a faraday cage and all.

I was referencing the WiFi antenna.

I'm not sure the NSA cares enough to put backup listening devices beyond just assuming you'll connect to the internet.

I can't help but picture you as the old man in enemy of the state. Complete with a faraday cage and all.

I watched until the end. Turns out he was right.

A TV is worth investing in. It's a device you're going to use for more years, so don't be stingy. And even if you hesitate to admit, smart TVs are a blessing.
Please, explain in what way a television is an "investment". How will it appreciate in value, or assist someone to be more productive? Also, please specify how a television is a blessing? Does it enrich one's life?

Do fucking tell, or are you just another fucking spammer...

Reactions: EddieNFL
Buy a couple spares if you find one.

Cause it's only going to get worse.

""Researchers from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst say, unlike older technology, 6G could end up using people as antennas.""

"I dont want my smart TV listening to me"... OK...

says the guy who buys guns & gun accessories, probably buys NFA stuff, drives a modern vehicle with GPS, carries a cell phone, uses credit cards, talks on Internet forums, and on, and on, and on.. the fact that he's asking this question on an Internet forum proves he has little knowledge of how this shit works.
You’re super retarted

A TV is worth investing in. It's a device you're going to use for more years, so don't be stingy. And even if you hesitate to admit, smart TVs are a blessing.
First and only post so far.

Wonder why