• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I want total DEVASTATION!!!

Re: I want total DEVASTATION!!!

I've decided to go with the 7wsm.Done some research and that round will reach out there for where I want to go.And go with a lighter grained round.Got the caliber chosen,now it's time to find the gun.Either piece it together(action,stock,then get a barrel). Or just buy it from a store.I plan on using the Huskemaw optics.I was really impressed with it.Everyones eyes see differently,and I liked what I saw using it.
Get a good nasty round set up and hopefully I'll be raining fur and bone all over the place!

Aw crap....a avid varminter I had just got introduced to told me a .264 would make a yote do cartwheels out a couple 100 yards.To many dang decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r1les</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to go with the 7wsm.Done some research and that round will reach out there for where I want to go.And go with a lighter grained round.Got the caliber chosen,now it's time to find the gun.Either piece it together(action,stock,then get a barrel). Or just buy it from a store.I plan on using the Huskemaw optics.I was really impressed with it.Everyones eyes see differently,and I liked what I saw using it.
Get a good nasty round set up and hopefully I'll be raining fur and bone all over the place!</div></div>
I would give Lawton a try on that.

I come down on the faster smaller side for coyotes. If it were me I would design the rifle around the bullet. I personally am a big fan of of the Amax bullet for LR expansion , and I would look at the 80 (.224) or the 105 (6mm). I would call Hornady and ask how fast I could drive 'em and still have them stay together (someone on here may be able to tell you as well). once you find the limits then pick the case that will get you there, without having to push max. The guys at hornady are pretty sharp; they can also tell you what barrel/rifling/twist configurations will work well with the Amax at max velocity. The bergers might be another good choice; I have no experience there in terms of low velocity expansion, but someone here might chime in. Be prepared for an equal amount of "devastation" to your barrel budget if you shoot a lot. You might also look at some of "Sendero Mans" threads; he is pushing a 6mm pretty hard

MOST of those cartidges you are considering are capable of doing what you want depending on the bullet weight, load, and YOUR ability to put the pill on target.It's harder then you think and requires lots of practice, dedication, and money.LOTS of money, everyone wants to be a 1000 yd hero but usually fall short when they find the weeks of practice and hundreds of $$$ in powder, bullets and time it requires.I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but simply suggesting you spend less time finding the "dream" caliber and more time on the trigger pulling.Good luck..

4000v.jpg

http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRBlog.html

Scroll about 1/3 down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r1les</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aw crap....a avid varminter I had just got introduced to told me a .264 would make a yote do cartwheels out a couple 100 yards.To many dang decisions. </div></div>
The .264 will indeed.

I suggest the 7mm Rem Mag. It's not going to break the bank. There are plenty of good quality used Remington 700's out there to be had for less than 600 bucks. Most are more than accurate right off the rack with half way decent scope on top. There are plenty of components available to the reloader for a very reasonable price.

They'll give you plenty of explosive critter action with the heavier soft pointed rounds and will be able to reach way out there with ease.

Its pretty easy to blow stuff up inside 4 or 5 hundred yards, but wanting to do that a 800 yards is gonna take a lot of powder and a pretty good bullet. You might do a search here for the "12 egg magnum". George says it will launch a 155gr .308 bullet at over 4000 f/s (4200 I think). It would still be traveling at 2300 at 800 and only drop 2.5 mils. You have to figure that barrels are disposable, though, 'cause you will go through them quick.

Holy crap i just watched that hog video!!

Reminds me of the afghani 50 cal video, but just on hogs!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the Axiom is a bad ass rifle that is a blast to shoot, but REQUIRES a new trigger (timney is round $100 for it)</div></div>

Not true. You just need to go to the right 'smith.

My Howa 1500 has a fantastic trigger, equal to ANY of my Timneys. It's just the factory trigger worked on by my man.

Don't let ffhogue's comments put you off a Howa or any of it's fancy derivatives. Howa is a great basis for a custom rifle. See what Pete Lincoln at Roedale Precision can do with a Howa action.

Try this;
http://www.roedale.de/epages/index.htm

Neil

Was in wood south dakota , shot a yote at just over 600 right at dusk, wind had dies down to almost nothing. Gun a 300 ultra mag running 178 a-max, .. hope you dont want much of the pelt as it makes a mess..

I like the 300 RUM it is a heavy hitter.. long range paper 1000 as most know real life targets dont recall anything over 700.. Cold bore shot at that range is not easy, like other said takes plenty of time behind the gun to get there. Shoot as much as you can, and know the gun at long range.. How much does wind play a part in your load..

Hog video??? I didn't see where your talking about?I'm all about watching things get gooey after a shot.
Anyways,had to put my rifle project on hold for a while longer.I'm a welder and spent the money on a website for myself. Check it out www.weldingsyndicate.com. (search in your computers main task bar because I haven't paid fir google search yet). I also have a long range shooting stand on there that I made myself.Check it out guys.
I still enjoy shooting my .204 and watching the ground squirrels go pop.That'll have to do for the time being

Went out calling yotes this morning and we spotted one under a tree staring back at us.I ranged him in at 365 yds.It was my buddies turn to pull the trigger and he was shooting his 300 SAUM.Shot goes off and I see a nice red mist followed by a "thwack!" sound.I was like yeah you got'em.We walk over an hour later after we could call in anything else.I WISH I would've had my camera phone on me and took a photo of what a 110 gr V-Max does when it enters the chest and blows out everything behind! Yes I was impressed.Still hoping to see what a 7 wsm with a nasty load would do though...

I would look at some of the 6mm chamberings. I personnaly shoot a 25-06 ackley for coyotes usig a 87gr holo point. I push them pretty hard and have excellent results with good barrel life.