• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s I'm Such The Chainsaw Connoisseur Apparently

I have. They do work. But they don’t cut like their gas powered brethren.

After a Hurricane, I aint dragging around a generator or an inverter to charge batteries so I can run a saw... I’ll take a gas can.

Yeah, for isolated areas gas is the winner.

For residential, I am thinking 5 acres or less, least around here that's still considered residential. And if power is out you would use the genny, so keeping a few batteries charged doesn't really require much extra work. If you still have power then it's moot.

But ya out in the backwoods gas is king but only because it wins in convenience, not because in the <=18in category gas outperforms the modern electric saw, because they really dont.

You and everyone else reading this should feel fortunate you don't know what it means. Simply put, a lolcow is someone who acts ridiculous in either real life or on the internet or even both! People find entertainment in laughing at said individuals and how they react to being laughed at. Kiwi Farms is a forum literally dedicated to poking fun of lolcows for their antics.
I just lost 20 IQ points after reading this.

Remember when the special kids wore a helmet with a chin strap, and you knew the conversation would be meaningless and contain a bunch of words that sounded like grunts when pooping? Now, they give them a tablet or phone and the drool does the typing for them.

"Lolcow"......OK, billy we will change your diaper......

So, do any of you guys use battery powered chainsaws? Todd from Project Farm has done some reviews on them and they seem just as good or even better than gas saws.
Actually yes. I have a battery saw that I carry around on the tractor because I can lop off low limbs and stuff growing around the base of trees at the edge of the pastures. The thing is clean it runs for 30 minutes or so on a charge. Never doesn’t start. I’m not going to take down giant trees with it for firewood. But for limbing and quick stuff it’s awesome. Ryobi 40 V about 3-4 years old now.

Also doesn’t make much noise in a motel room. But we won’t go there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XP1K
Actually yes. I have a battery saw that I carry around on the tractor because I can lop off low limbs and stuff growing around the base of trees at the edge of the pastures. The thing is clean it runs for 30 minutes or so on a charge. Never doesn’t start. I’m not going to take down giant trees with it for firewood. But for limbing and quick stuff it’s awesome. Ryobi 40 V about 3-4 years old now.

Also doesn’t make much room in a motel room. But we won’t go there.
A4BBF0BA-8A1D-42EF-ADC4-3482850C464D.jpeg

Big Elms, Oaks, Hickory and various hedge trees around here.

The 18in 40v ryobi chews through 24in diameter logs very easily. 6ah battery will last 2-3 hours of continuous use.

I use just run-of-the-mill "power care" brand, "full chisel" chains you can get at homedepot.

Elm is the toughest, when wet it's very fibrous and can be a real ass kicker. It's unsplitable by hand until it dries out some.

The biggest drawback imo is investing in multiple batteries. But all of my yard tools are now 40v ryobi, so having multiple is a must anyways.

Shindaiwa591($380 new), basically and echo 590 Timberwolf with a different name, 60cc engine.

And an old craftsman saw from the 80’s. More than adequate for anything I am going to do.

That 591 is a damn good saw, always starts. And has done some work. The old craftsman was my grandpa’s, think its 25cc. Runs like a raped ape. View attachment 7970068

I have a Shindaiwa chain saw. It's a piece of shit. I have a 45 year old McCullagh, that I bought at Woolco, that's better than that.
I also have a 28 year old Shindaiwa string trimmer, a 25 year old Shindaiwa edger, and a 22 year old Shindaiwa blower that starts and runs on the third pull every time. They are the best yard equipment I've ever bought. But the chain saw is junk. Hard to start and keep running, and no pwer when I do get it running. I bought it thinking it's going to be as good as the other equipment. Boy was I wrong.

I also have a Stihl MS291 that's the best chainsaw I have ever owned, and probably the last I'll ever own. It should last me for the rest of my life.

Forgot to mention in my previous post.
I have a Milwaukee 18V pole saw.
Works just as good as my Stihl when I slap a 8AH battery in it.
Of course still has to have bar oil, but it's maybe 30-40% lighter than the gas powered Stihl and gives up nothing in power and the bigger batteries last as long as a full gas tank.
Bar oil lasts about the same in both.
Both extend about the same...what 7-8 foot or so ??? but I keep them both as collapsed as possible for the job.
The farther you extend them the more leverage it has on YOU, and it will wear your ass out.

Forgot to mention in my previous post.
I have a Milwaukee 18V pole saw.
Works just as good as my Stihl when I slap a 8AH battery in it.
Of course still has to have bar oil, but it's maybe 30-40% lighter than the gas powered Stihl and gives up nothing in power and the bigger batteries last as long as a full gas tank.
Bar oil lasts about the same in both.
Both extend about the same...what 7-8 foot or so ??? but I keep them both as collapsed as possible for the job.
The farther you extend them the more leverage it has on YOU, and it will wear your ass out.

I just got a Stihl HTA-36 pole pruner with a AP-300 36V battery. Picked it up last week. That is a bad mofo right there.

So, do any of you guys use battery powered chainsaws? Todd from Project Farm has done some reviews on them and they seem just as good or even better than gas saws.
Remembered this. From an arborist so it's a little different. Has a different channel (Guilty of Treeson. This one was taken over by his old work.) now where he still uses the same saw on a regular basis.

I have a Shindaiwa chain saw. It's a piece of shit. I have a 45 year old McCullagh, that I bought at Woolco, that's better than that.
I also have a 28 year old Shindaiwa string trimmer, a 25 year old Shindaiwa edger, and a 22 year old Shindaiwa blower that starts and runs on the third pull every time. They are the best yard equipment I've ever bought. But the chain saw is junk. Hard to start and keep running, and no pwer when I do get it running. I bought it thinking it's going to be as good as the other equipment. Boy was I wrong.

I also have a Stihl MS291 that's the best chainsaw I have ever owned, and probably the last I'll ever own. It should last me for the rest of my life.
Mine is a 3rd pull starter, set brake, hit the decomp, pull choke. Pull string, press, decomp pull string it burples, push choke in, pull string it fires up.

291 is a good saw too. If it works fuck ya

Which Shin did you have that gave you trouble? How carburetor knowledgeable are you? Might need a minor jet adjustment...

Mine is a 3rd pull starter, set brake, hit the decomp, pull choke. Pull string, press, decomp pull string it burples, push choke in, pull string it fires up.

291 is a good saw too. If it works fuck ya

Which Shin did you have that gave you trouble? How carburetor knowledgeable are you? Might need a minor jet adjustment...

That’s the way all my Shindiawa equipment starts. Third pull, four if I don’t pump the primer. It’s all frikking great equipment.
My T-270 trimmer ran 25 years before I changed the spark plug, and I only changed it because my son broke it. 😄. I love all my Shindiawa tools, except the chainsaw. It has just never run worth a damn.
I used to be ok with small engine carborators, back when you had to tear them down and clean them every spring. 😄. But now, I’m just not that familiar with them. I’ll get the Shindiawa chainsaw back out one day and screw with it, until then, I’ll just bust out the Stihl.