• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns In the car pistol carry options.

I like to carry in the same place all the time, that way my muscle memory doesn't ever get "confused". I believe that when things turn to crap, all the stuff in your conscious mind sorta goes out the window, and you revert to the lowest level of your training, or what is in your unconscious mind. That is the main reason my pistol always stays in the same place.

However, for long car drives, I don't see any issue with having a second pistol in a shoulder, crossdraw, or hidden elsewhere within easy access. I agree with the comments that pistols should never be unsecured, because they could become moved around in a crash, fight, or other situation, and then you have to look for them. Holsters are an additional safety device because they secure the pistol, cover the trigger guard (hopefully), and keep the pistol where you want it.

If you put the pistol under your leg, or between the seat and console, I could easily see a contact with a police officer going south quickly, either because you try to move the pistol to a less "offensive" position, or the officer sees it on approaching the vehicle.

Even with all the above stuff in mind, my primary pistol always stays at the same place. I carried it at work, for competitions, and off duty that way for many years, and it is comfortable, and accessible.

One consideration few people think about...The position of your pistol can make a difference if you get knocked down or fall down in a fight, or take an impact on the area where your pistol is located. Falling on your back in a fight is one thing, but if your pistol is directly over your kidney, and you fall onto it, the pain will put you at a pretty bad disadvantage. I strongly suggest trying to roll forward, and backward, or simply lay on your back on the ground with your pistol in your normal carry position. Directly over your spine can be very dangerous. A blow to the pistol/kidney only hurts like hell and takes your breath away.

Actually weak sensitive shoulders are generally the culprit
I have nothing against good criticism. But if there's a rule for any sort of criticism it is to not display your inferior knowledge by being a critic. Had you ever worn a shoulder holster in a car you would know that it's not your shoulders that hurt.

Last edited:
I have nothing against good criticism. But if there's a rule for any sort of criticism it is to not display your inferior knowledge by being a critic. Had you ever worn a shoulder holster in a car you would know that it's not your shoulders that hurt.

I'm just messing around with ya, but in all seriousness I have worn a shoulder holster in the car and around for years and I've been fine. I have some lumbar issues and shoulder holsters are WAY easier on the lower back than IWB.

What area hurts when you wear one in the car Graham?

I carry daily in a "Serpa". A Sig P-229 on my right hip with the Serpa adjusted to forward cant and on a paddle mount. Bought another Serpa for the vehicle while making long trips. I just adjusted it to what would be rear cant if worn on RH side but now becomes forward cant when worn on LH for cross-draw. With the weapon on my LH side it remains more concealed from anyone outside the vehicle, I can still access it quickly, and if necessary it's easier to turn sideways, draw, and hold low if I feel threatened by anyone standing at my window.

I like the positive retention and ease of draw/reholster with the Serpa. Also have a shoulder holster for "Formal Wear" and a F.L.E.T.C.H. for "dress up open carry".

In a tennis racket bag on the passenger seat (10.5 inch AR pistol) and my Glock 21 strong side OWB. All good according to VA CCW laws.

For all the reasons posted above, carry it on your person. There may be times when it would make sense to put it on or in the console, but I think that's a bad habit to get into. Try some different options for carry positions or holsters. I hate to admit it, but when I was young and stupid I left a handgun in my console coming home from a long evening shift and it was stolen. Small town, never a problem before or after. Just that one time. You don't want that hanging over your head.

This one will be reaching back for some of you but I remember it like it was yesterday. Look up the After Action Report on the famous FBI Miami shootout. One of the agents did as described and had the gun tucked under his leg. In the ensuing collision, the gun flew into the floorboard and then under the seat where he couldn't get to it once the shooting started. Less than ideal. Granted, you aren't PLANNING on getting into a collision but I would say the idea of a planned "bump and rob" (a real thing where thugs bump you from behind as if by accident and then carjack you) or an accident secondary to road rage are certainly plausible. I used to ride with my pistol under my leg all the time since i am a lefty and the seatbelt makes it difficult to draw but I stopped after the Miami report. Find another way to do it. OR carry a second car gun that stays in place.

Good advice. The handgun is no use to you if you can't access it, and if you have to bail out of the car in a hurry, the only sure way of being able to access it is to have it
on your person. Mine rides in a Milt Sparks Summer Special, but since I am lefthanded, it's almost impossible to draw and engage a threat on the driver's side of the vehicle.
So I have another handgun in the console where I can reach it. Most of the time my backup gun is in an ankle holster anyway, and the ankle holster is much easier to draw from while in a vehicle.