• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Interesting Leupold scope caps question

Puck

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2008
Denton TX
So one of my fiance's relatives gave me a Leupold VX-3 scope to long term borrow for my rifle (shes a keeper I know). I went to get some scope covers for it so the lens didn't get scratched while in my possession. I bought Leupold Alumina covers and the threading doesn't match up. The custom shop says you can get a substantial discount on retreading the scope the match the covers but I'm loathe to alter the scope permanently as its not actually mine. Could I find some adapter rings at a hardware store or something the would marry the covers to the scope without having to permanently alter the scope? Also I've tried Butler Creek covers and can't seem to find the right size always either too big or too small.

Re: Interesting Leupold scope caps question

The threads are very fine,I am guessing you would have to have them made.....

A little hokey, but did you consider a couple wraps of electrical tape around the bell until the butler creek fits snug?

Then it's temporary and can be removed and cleaned with no harm....

What's the scope model and power range, obj size, etc.

So it's most likely not a VXIII and it's a Vari-X III?

In 2004 when they switched from VariX to VX they changed the threading, the Alumina are made only for the newer scopes. Don't rethread, it's not worth it.