• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Thanks for the negative DA bugfix. That was indeed a serious issue. Glad it's resolved.

I did find a few minor bugs on a few things:
-The pulldown menus in the "edit ammunition profile" lose their text color?
-Same issue with the sync menu pulldown

mattmcg, oops. Fixed now. Thanks for catching it so quick.

Edit: btw, you may need to download the update for the BT plugin as well to fix your DA issue. Let me know if the problem is still occurring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdennyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HEY Sean;

Are you ever going to be able to lock the name bar at the top of the data screen? I've been using your program now for months and ev ery update I keep expecting it to be locked when I scroll down. I know you said you were kinda dragging your feet to do that cause its hard but if it was easy, all of us could do it. LoL

Just checking brother..

</div></div>

I'll revisit this in upcoming versions. It would require a rewrite of how that table is generated.

Ok, menus are back to normal. Looking good.

It dawned on me as I was running through a few scenarios tonight that the wind hold with + and - might be a little strange for the most part. I'm not sure if this is good idea or not but perhaps you could have the display as described below to make it easy to know which way to dial:
R0.5 instead of +0.5 for dial right adjustments
L0.4 instead of -0.5 for dial left adjustments
(using mils in the examples)

Wanted to throw it out there. Adding and subtracting elevation makes sense but +/- with R/L doesn't right off hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, menus are back to normal. Looking good.

It dawned on me as I was running through a few scenarios tonight that the wind hold with + and - might be a little strange for the most part. I'm not sure if this is good idea or not but perhaps you could have the display as described below to make it easy to know which way to dial:
R0.5 instead of +0.5 for dial right adjustments
L0.4 instead of -0.5 for dial left adjustments
(using mils in the examples)

Wanted to throw it out there. Adding and subtracting elevation makes sense but +/- with R/L doesn't right off hand.

</div></div>

That is very odd your bring that up. I was just discussing this today and actually the version I have installed on my phone has R and L for windage and lead. It does look a little odd at first glance and the numbers don't pop-out at you as well when its like this. I think the solution is to change the color of the R and L text.

The +/- are obvious when you're dealing with actual wind for windage, but when you introduce coriolis and spin drift, its not immediately apparent what direction you need to adjust.

Here is a screenshot using R/L.

shot01.png

You may then say +/- for elevation should be U/D to match. Ultimately it was chosen because its more clear, but that could be changed with colors and/or special graphics.

What's the user vote? Make +/- R/L for windage and lead? U/D for elevation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the user vote? Make +/- R/L for windage and lead? U/D for elevation? </div></div>

I have been using "Shooter" for a while now. Like stated, + / - for windage becomes confusing especially when coriolis , SD , and all is on. So I vote for R / L and U / D as this would make it more evident for me especially in the heat of a hunting situation.

Jeff

Here is an example of U and L in use.

shot02.png

Just updated to the new version....Is something wrong with the auto weather conditions? It's not automatically entering in wind. I do believe I have it set up to, not exeactly sure though. I know it was before the update.

Thanks.

Fisky,

I can't reproduce that. Do you have "Disable Wind Population" ON in your Preferences?

Are you using auto-atmosphere or going to menu->station atmosphere?

Is it populating the wind field with 0?

Disable Wind Population is not checked...

I have "Auto Atmosphere", "Auto Lat", "Save Distance" and "save Atmosphere" checked in the preferences.

Are you certain 0mph isn't what the weather station is actually reading?

What weather station does it read off of?

We currently got a 17-19mph NW wind, depending on what weather site you check.

What does it say your city is after loading data in?

Location is "N/A" I believe.

Pressure Input Type is set for "by altitude and corrected SLP"

Maybe something is wrong with the GPS in my phone?

I just looked at Wunderground weather, and it's reporting a 16mph wind.

Normally when I go into Shooter, I get that notice about GPS fix to X feet, or whatever that little "pop up" is.

Anyways, I'm not getting that now.

Fisky,

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Yes.

My phone is an Incredible, if that helps you any.

Sean,

I really like how you have the L/R with different colors. That is pretty sick!

For that matter, Up/Down also works well.

That's my vote!

M

mattmcg,

I don't have L/R with different colors? Though that's not a bad idea. Elevation has always been red, windage green, and lead blue.

I'm sorry, I think the cold medication I'm on is getting to me........

So U/D and L/R are good. The colors as you have them are good as well. I'm not quite sure how you could easily have two separate colors denoting L/R and U/D that would be obvious to the user so I'm not sure I would go there. U/D and L/R are pretty self explanatory.

And funny enough, I came up with this feature thought as I was testing spin drift and coriolis effects with different latitudes and is exactly where I had myself scratching my head about which way + and - was. You can definitely get turned around the axle easily, especially if you start to play around with left twist barrels for northern hemisphere coriolis to counter-act spin drift. hehe.

So is the U / D and L / R ready if I update now. I am all about that feature.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, yessir.

It's amazing how that little change just improves the total usability of it. Nicely done Sean.

Thanks mattmcg.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with auto-atmosphere not populating wind? Can some of you test it on your devices for me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks mattmcg.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with auto-atmosphere not populating wind? Can some of you test it on your devices for me? </div></div>

I love the update. This keeps getting better.

I tried the auto-atmosphere and it DID populate the wind, I check my prefs and wind was turned on and everything is working great so far as I can tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks mattmcg.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with auto-atmosphere not populating wind? Can some of you test it on your devices for me? </div></div>
Tried it again about a half hour ago, no dice...Just tried it now, and it is working perfectly fine. No explanation for it, but all is good....Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff, yessir. </div></div>

Sweeeet! We will be updating both mine and my sons soon.

Thanks!

Jeff

I have a dumb question. Let's say I don't know my altitude. If I use the Density Altitude from my Kestrel, would I get the same result as if I use my altitude, station pressure, and humidity?

It would be nice to not have to calibrate to my current altitude if my Kestrel is measuring air density, which is what we are really looking for anyway, but I was wondering whether using DA shortcuts any of the calculations.

Thanks!

I just updated and find the "u" "r" "l" terribly redundant and annoying. Can you write another update where these can be removed from the display? I'm pretty sure I know which way the wind is blowing and that I need to go "up".

Thanks

Can't please everyone I guess.

Goin'Hot, I could make this a preference item. It's not immediately apparent what direction to adjust for windage when there is very little/no wind and you have coriolis, spin drift, or vertical wind component (soon) enabled. This is why L and R were introduced. U/D is indeed a justified "duh", but then again so is +/-.

I use the wind value set at 90 and then use wind flags to base direction and amount of value to assign. Wind is never consistant enough to assign a hard 270 vs a 90. The flag tells me left or right and if the program has assigned l or r, I may turn the wrong direction at a glance.

I just went and looked at it again and it really seems to clutter the previous excellent display.

Sean;
How about up/down or left/right arrows in the empty space just above the primary adjustment values?

Frankly, I don't think a ballistics computer should be basing its results on the relative results of a flag. Keep it true for how inputs calculate outputs.

That said, if the L/R and U/D were somehow decreased in text size a bit, it may improve it a bit. To this point, I really think this is about needing to digest the change since it is different than what it was before.

The L/R is a real nice improvement.

Also, I think the best shooters tend to look at the raw wind values from whatever direction and use it to determine a "true crosswind". That is being done within Shooter but I don't use it. For me I look at wind flags or use a Kestrel to determine true crosswind and simply input the true wind speed across my bullet path at either 3 O'clock or 9 O'clock.

It makes for easier windage dialing or holdovers.

I really, really DON't like the U and R in the table, which is all I use! It just clutters it up.

Can I remove the update and go back to the way it was, or maybe best, can you add an option in the setup to turn it off or on????

And seriously, you need to charge MORE than $10 for this program!!!

I think $30 would be cheap, and I would pay $50.

Obviously I haven't read all 19 pages of the thread yet.

I just got my android phone Monday and downloaded shooter. Very impressed by how user friendly the app is. Had just entered my firearm and bullet info and tryed to get used to it. Well, I got a notice for the latest update last night and downloaded it. I was again varying range and wind to get used to the program and realized the U/D and L/R were there and thought I was going crazy. I didn't remember them from earlier when changing condition variables.

Just saw this thread and realized that apparently the U/D and L/R were part of the latest update.

I don't know that I like the U/D or L/R immediately in front of the DOPE data. It kinda clutters things up a little. I hardly ever pay attention to the +/- because I know which way I need to go with the turret anyway.

Could you put the U/D and L/R behind the data with maybe a space between to keep from cluttering the data? Just a suggestion, but would help me a lot.

I think the U/D L/R being the same size and in front of the DATA distracts me from the data itself. Of course I will probably adjust to it, but I think I liked it better before or would like it just as well if it wasn't in front of the DOPE.

Thanks, Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use the DA from your Kestrel, you will only get the same result if your ballistic program accepts density altitude as an input, rather than individually entering barometric pressure, temperature, and humidity.

You might find this useful reading:

Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software

</div></div>

Thanks, Lindy! Very helpful.

Shooter updated with bug fix, added Sight Offset parameter and use +/- rather than U/D and L/R is now an option in Preferences.

That's great. I can't wait to get out to the range and actually use SHOOTER. I've been using exbal up til this and SHOOTER seems 2x easier to use, especially if you have to rapidly change range or wind input.

Thanks, again.

BLK7

We did the update and got the L / R windage prompts. I love it! This will really help when the wind is slight or at say, 4 or 6 oclock and spindrift and or coriolis is also activated. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing which way to go especially in the heat of doping for a shot on game. Now, all I do is dial what shooter indicates, L or R like indicated on my NXS turret.

Thank You!!

Jeff

U/L and L/R is so simple, I can't believe no one has ever thought of it before. It is disorienting to look at at first, but once you use it, it makes a lot more sense. Thanks!