• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Still hoping for those Mach numbers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean,

What happened to the "Look Angle" for figuring up and down hill shooting angles?

I have version 1.6.3.3

Alan </div></div>
It's in the menu. Hit the Menu button on the phone itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great app. but I liked it better when it first came out. It seems like their updates are messing it up. </div></div>
What is it messing up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great app. but I liked it better when it first came out. It seems like their updates are messing it up. </div></div>
What is it messing up?</div></div>

Yeah, not sure what that guy is smoking...

version 1.6.3.4
Thanks for hPa! Baro pressure in Zero data is still kPa.
Pressure automatically is populated as kPa - for example 101.7 instead of 1017 hPa.
And my bullet stability factor is reported 0.92. Normally it is around 1.37

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">version 1.6.3.4
Pressure automatically is populated as kPa - for example 101.7 instead of 1017 hPa.
And my bullet stability factor is reported 0.92. Normally it is around 1.37 </div></div>
What is your ammo data?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">version 1.6.3.4
And my bullet stability factor is reported 0.92. Normally it is around 1.37 </div></div>
What is your ammo data? </div></div>
Sean, thank you for update. Pressure bug is corrected, stability factor is correct now like before. Thank you for fast and perfect service!

No problem. Thanks for telling me about issues so quickly.

I encourage you all to take advantage of the web interface at http://manage.shooterapp.net -- especially new users who have lots of data to enter..it makes it much simpler.

Apropos web interface, could you think about a change to the "home screen" for the rifle/ammo data?

Maybe a tree-like structure, the rifle as the parent class and the ammo listed as its sub-classes. This way a simple click on the ammo would lead to the specific ammo data.

As it is now, I have to click on the rifle and only then I can see the ammo attached to it. Not much of an issue, but I can imagine if someone has several rifles and ammo types, it could be a lot of forward and back browsing to see/edit all the ammo data.

EDIT/Update: Was on the range today and the weather data was populated, don't know if you fixed something, but it did work, so cheers, mate! I can now abuse Shooter as a weather station for temp, pressure and humidity.

I noticed on Wednesday that I was having a hard time figuring out how to tap carefully to edit my bullet data for my new loads... finally got it figured out OK and everything is good. I like the new display but am not crazy about the difficult data inputs.

Mike

I have to say, after some use with the new screen, I think it is definitely an improvement over the older setup but the method for data input is quite difficult. I find myself needing to accurately tap to get to the right position to edit the input variable.

I think a slight adjustment of this would do wonders to improve the user experience.

Instead of leaving all data on the screen, I would suggest a button with the current data showing. Once you tap the button, a new screen is presented with a big display area and a big number pad to quickly enter the data. That would make it very quick.

If you have ever used GasBuddy (on the Google Market), they have an excellent input screen method so that user can quickly report gas prices while bouncing around in the car. It is quick and effective. Perhaps that can provide some inspiration.

I just released an update that should fix that annoyance.

You can now tap anywhere within the input area to give focus to the input itself. For example, you can touch the descriptive text to the left of the input value and the input field itself will get focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just released an update that should fix that annoyance.

You can now tap anywhere within the input area to give focus to the input itself. For example, you can touch the descriptive text to the left of the input value and the input field itself will get focus.</div></div>

Sean,

A further suggestion:

On the data entry page (where you enter Target/Atmosphere information and can enable sd/Coriolis), if you click the numbers you can change (Distance, for example), the keyboard it pops up is a telephone style numeric keypad.

If you go on to the solution HUD page and click on Distance so you can type it in, it gives you a keyboard with the numbers across the top and a whole bunch of other buttons for punctuation and such -- it is basically the full keyboard you get when you are texting (though at least it starts on the page with all the numbers and punctuation). They keys are MUCH smaller on this keyboard (more buttons, most all of them unnecessary for this purpose).

The telephone style keypad from the full data entry page is MUCH easier to punch numbers into -- and I can't think of any reason you'd need the full keyboard when entering the numbers from the Solution page.

Any chance you could change the number entry keyboard on the Solution HUD page to be the same one that you get when you enter numbers on the full data entry page (ie, telephone style keypad instead of the full keyboard style)?

Thanks,
-Matt

Sean, I'm not a programmer by any means nor do I know much about it BUT, is there a way to use the camera phone as a range finder? Say as part of the app you're able to use th camera phone with a crosshair, snap a picture and it gives you a range as well as a solution minus the wind value? Again, I'm not a programmer so it may be a stupid question.

hello all,
first post here. figure i might as well start off on a positive note. been using this app for my rem 700 in .308 and a friends in .223. the app has been fantastic. this past weekend we brought a new gun to the range. it was a kimber 8400 in .270 wsm. i made sure it was where i pointed at 100 yards before letting the program determine a solution for me. i let gps deal with the atmospheric variables and i just put in the velocity and other known variables. i doped the scope per the program and smacked a 10" disk at 530 yards with the first shot. great app.

Sean, thanks for the app. its awsome.
Im using 175.gr sierra match king (Litz) from the library for M118LR out of my issued M40-A5. I just saw the newer screen offers an optional MV variation(outside of the edit ammo profile) from Powder temp. Im not sure when exactly that option came to be. With 175. gr SMK(litz) Im getting close results using 7.08 fps/ degree. Do you or anyone have an accurate MV variation for M118LR? Also does the shooter auto populate that if you zero at 75* then change the MV to your hit data at 100*?

Ex: at 6000ft 29.92 corrected 75* 13% @ 2773 fps AVG. I hit 1000yds with 8.6 mils. same time and data would yeild hits at 950yds with 7.9
later in the after noon 6000 ft 29.92 108* 13% I hit 950 with 6.6. when i changed temp and corrected MV to show a 6.6 elev correction, did it populate 7.08.

This data was based off memory from a few weeks ago. I can get hard data later if we need it.

Also any idea for an eta on
-Floating row that identifies column information on table
-option to selcet graph and table seperatly
-ability to graph different calibers from different rifles together.

again thx for the program

I might have found a bug. Was fooling around with different atmospheric conditions in Shooter and JBM for comparison with the exact same values and I found out Shooter does not highlight the drop below supersonic speed on the table screen correctly/at all.

On the solution screen the velocity is highlighted in red if it drops below the speed of sound but not in the table. Range was 1000m and the drop occurs at 950m, but neither 950 nor 1000m are highlighted, only up to 925m the red box is shown (tested with the v0 correction tool). Seems to be true for any distance and the last two range intervals up to the entered target distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might have found a bug. Was fooling around with different atmospheric conditions in Shooter and JBM for comparison with the exact same values and I found out Shooter does not highlight the drop below supersonic speed on the table screen correctly/at all.

On the solution screen the velocity is highlighted in red if it drops below the speed of sound but not in the table. Range was 1000m and the drop occurs at 950m, but neither 950 nor 1000m are highlighted, only up to 925m the red box is shown (tested with the v0 correction tool). Seems to be true for any distance and the last two range intervals up to the entered target distance. </div></div>
What's your units set to, your ammo data, and atmosphere you're entering so I can reproduce...I tried a few and they came out right.

Rifle is set up as:

Twist 1:10 R
Sight Height 5 cm
Offset 0 cm
Elev/Windage 1/10 mil
Correction Factor both at 1

Ammo data (as seen on the online profile)

Lapua 185.0gr FMJBT (Litz)
0.308 in
185 gr
3.322 cm
760 m/s
0 mps/°
15°C
ICAO
G7
(hidden)
100 m
0 cm
0 cm
On
20 m
101.325 kPa (seems the web profile still uses kPa instead of hPa)
Off
15°C
76%

Calculation is made with these settings:

Distance 1000m
No wind
No movement
Humidity 92%
Temperature 16°C
Altitude 19m
Pressure 1005 hPa

Should show a drop below sonic speed at 925m, however, increasing the muzzle velocity will lead to the aforementioned bug, velocity still subsonic, but no highlight in the table.
v0 has to be increased to 817 m/s to actually be supersonic at 1000m, range increments are 25m.

Tested with another load, same issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle is set up as:

Twist 1:10 R
Sight Height 5 cm
Offset 0 cm
Elev/Windage 1/10 mil
Correction Factor both at 1

Ammo data (as seen on the online profile)

Lapua 185.0gr FMJBT (Litz)
0.308 in
185 gr
3.322 cm
760 m/s
0 mps/°
15°C
ICAO
G7
(hidden)
100 m
0 cm
0 cm
On
20 m
101.325 kPa (seems the web profile still uses kPa instead of hPa)
Off
15°C
76%

Calculation is made with these settings:

Distance 1000m
No wind
No movement
Humidity 92%
Temperature 16°C
Altitude 19m
Pressure 1005 hPa

Should show a drop below sonic speed at 925m, however, increasing the muzzle velocity will lead to the aforementioned bug, velocity still subsonic, but no highlight in the table.
v0 has to be increased to 817 m/s to actually be supersonic at 1000m, range increments are 25m.

Tested with another load, same issue. </div></div>
For me, it shows red at 340mps and 900m. The same values in JBM show red at 339.8mps and 900m.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strange, it does not show red on mine (we are still talking about the range table, right?) It does show red on the solution screen, but not in the range table... </div></div>
Yes, the table. The only thing you haven't told me is what you're entering for your shot data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strange, it does not show red on mine (we are still talking about the range table, right?) It does show red on the solution screen, but not in the range table... </div></div>
Also, use hPa, not kPa in the ammo profile...I've updated the web manager to show hPa as the unit.

The second part of my post contained the shot data

Distance 1000m
No wind
No movement
Humidity 92%
Temperature 16°C
Altitude 19m
Pressure 1005 hPa

(ok, with coriolis at 54°36')

When I tap on a field the cursor will appear at one end of the text in the field or the other end or somewhere in the middle of that text. In situations where I am entering a new distance or wind speed I often am looking to replace the number already in the field, especially in the solution window. Would it be possible to have the program automatically highlight the text in the field when you tap on the field so you can just enter a new value and have it replace the one that is already there without having to move the cursor to the end and then use the backspace button to delete the field contents before entering your new value?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSSP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean,

Do you have a tutorial somewhere? I use the program weekly but sometimes wonder if their are items I'm missing and am not sure if to worry about it.

Alan </div></div>

Have you been here http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

I learned something about Shooter today and in the past few weeks.

1. It's much more accurate for impact elevation if I use barometric pressure vs actual elevation. At 6565 ft vs 22.7 baro I was 20" low at 1000 yds with my 6.5x47 lapua.

2. I kept getting windage errors that I could not account for. I discovered that when initially setting up, I had, in the "Shooter: Edit Preferences", checked "Always enable Spin Drift". I was getting approx 9" windage errors. When taken out manually, the errors went away. I went back to the "Shooter: Edit Preferences" and unchecked the "Always enable Spin Drift". At 1011 yds, my personal range, I now am usually off just a few inches either way, but I'm getting better.

Alan

FWIW:
Shooter works very well on the Casio Commando......Casio's ruggedized Android phone.

The Casio GPS is very fast....typical time-to-fix is 3 seconds or so.

I find Shooter amazingly accurate. This last weekend shooting 338LM, at 900 yards, it predicted 22.4 up for my hand loads (chron'd) and actual was 22.0.

At 550 however, Shooter suggested 10.2 and actual was 9.5.
Using G1 and G7 gives pretty much 10.2. I think the data for the Lapua 300 grain Scenar isn't quite perhaps what Lapua is reporting... dunno. Or more likely there is a problem with my form.

425 and 325 were pretty much spot on between Shooter and actual.

Sean,

Just wanted to say a very heartfelt thanks for such a wonderful app. I've been using Shooter since last year and absolutely love it. This weekend, I attended the Utah State Sniper Shoot, thanks to Shooter, not only did I win the LR Precision portion of a 3-gun event (carbine and pistol) but I took 1st place overall.

Alan

At 1600 yards this weekend with 338 Lapua Mag, Shooter was very close on elevation correction, just held over for subsequent shots. At $6 retail per 338 Lapua Mag round, Shooter pays for itself in one shooting session. I don't know how much it matters but I used G7 BCs after having found them on the web for Scenar 300 grain.

just to make sure, when setting up the rifle profile, is scope height measured from center of bore to center of scope?

Yes loaders_loft, that is correct.

thanks mattmcg, that is what I thought.

when using this app in the field, assuming no cel signal or no data connection, what functionality, if any, is disabled?

Pulling atmospherics from weather stations while enabling GPS. That and Internet based backups.

I carry a Kestrel and bluetooth sync or enter atmospherics manually when out of cell coverage. Even with cell coverage, the Kestrel is better at providing local atmospheric data so I often dispense with anything from an Internet weather station somewhere else.

My zero is 100m with temperature 15C. Just tried to enter temperature -20C. Shooter shows muzzle velocity is corrected, but both SOLUTION and TABLE show I don`t need any corrections at 100m.
I am not sure it is correct. There should be at least one 1/4 moa click up. By the way GRAPH shows correct trajectory path. In my case it is about 0.7cm down at 100m compared with path based on ZERO atmosphere.

And second wish is MOA reported like 4.65, instead of simple 4.6. It will be more easy to decide which nearest click to choose with turrets step 0.25moa.

Looks like I found one software bug. When entering temperature (Celsius) with minus sign.
Replication steps:
1. clear with backspace previous temperature
2. write "-" sign
3. hit backspace and Shooter crashes.

latest Shooter version on Samsung Galaxy2.

I purchased and downloaded the app yesterday, and have been playing with it to see what's what. Overall, I have to say this is very nice work, Sean. Thank you.

The only thing I would change -- and I realize everybody has their own prefs, this is just me -- would be to anchor the column headings in table view, so the user can scroll down and still see what's what. I suppose that after a lot of use, column content would become second nature to me. But at this point, scrolling down and losing the headings takes me a second or two get my head around that 'sea' of numbers.

Still, an awesome app, Sean. Even without the tweak I mention, this software is incredible. Thanks again!

Dane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gdane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased and downloaded the app yesterday, and have been playing with it to see what's what. Overall, I have to say this is very nice work, Sean. Thank you.

The only thing I would change -- and I realize everybody has their own prefs, this is just me -- would be to anchor the column headings in table view, so the user can scroll down and still see what's what. I suppose that after a lot of use, column content would become second nature to me. But at this point, scrolling down and losing the headings takes me a second or two get my head around that 'sea' of numbers.

Still, an awesome app, Sean. Even without the tweak I mention, this software is incredible. Thanks again!

Dane </div></div>

That's a good idea, and a nice touch in any piece of software.

Shooter disappeared from my Droid and I can't locate it in the Market. Typed in Shooter, got some hits but not what I am looking for. Did the same thing typed in ballsitics and Shooter was not in the selection.

What am I doing wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter disappeared from my Droid and I can't locate it in the Market. Typed in Shooter, got some hits but not what I am looking for. Did the same thing typed in ballsitics and Shooter was not in the selection.

What am I doing wrong? </div></div>

No idea...
If you purchased it from the Market and it somehow uninstalled, it will still be under the "My Apps" tab in the market, enabling re-download for free.
I searched for "Shooter" and it came up as the 5th app on both my phone, and PC.

snap20111107082854.png

I suggest restarting your phone and trying again

Shooter for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) is now available.

Sean,

Two weekends ago I dropped my phone while steelhead fishing and fried it. Getting a new phone today... am I going to have to pay for the ap again or can I somehow get it on my new phone free of charge? Thanks been loving this ap every time I shoot!

Mike

Mike,

The program is tied to your google account, so as soon as you replace your phone, go into the app market and it'll know that you've already purchased and can download it free of charge.

Shit, alright ill see if I have it somewhere... had to create it when I bought my phone and never used it since and I just created a new one. Thanks Sean!

Mike