• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

is there a way of changing the iphy or mils to inches on the hud screen ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">U/L and L/R is so simple, I can't believe no one has ever thought of it before. It is disorienting to look at at first, but once you use it, it makes a lot more sense. Thanks! </div></div>

I agree! I've adopted this L/R thinkig yeas ago this on my range cards, sniper team communication, and modified all my scope turrets to agree this.

Spotter: "Target Charlie2, 1000m, UP81, LEFT8"
Shooter: "Charlie2, UP82 set, LEFT8 set"
Boom. Really simple comms.

I've been pushing also this R/L markings idea to Jeff at NF, S&B and Hensoldt. Glad to notice that they've now implemented it! Hope to see similar developmen among other tactical scope manufacturers.

Below a picture of one of my early NXS wind turrets modified.
BDC_SSG69+NXS5.5-22x50_12.jpg
HIGH RES IMAGE

And S&B DT turrets
BDC_SB_DT_02.jpg
HIGH RES PIC

How do I get this to auto populate the temp, humidity, altitude, etc?

Thanks in advance for the help

Be careful to take note on here it auto populates the conditions from if you are using the weather stations. I was using this out in Western Maryland and the difference from where I was shooting and the weather station were about 25 miles apart and at different altitudes so the conditions it pulled were not correct for my location.

I'll let the pics do the talking.

Thank You, Sean !!!!

Jeff.

DSC02941Small.jpg

DSC02939Small.jpg

DSC02936Small.jpg

Like to see that, Broz. Nice shooting and thanks for the pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like to see that, Broz. Nice shooting and thanks for the pics. </div></div>

I was back by the grain bins in this pic. I have only limited use of your program but I can tell you it was spot on center mass for elevation at 1008 yards. I have been using exbal for years, I have load base 3.0 too. But your program is hands down the one I prefer. The proof is in the pudding. One cold bore shot and I watched him fold up in a pile. Very cool!

Thanks again
Jeff

DSC02937Small.jpg

so Sean...
As you can check I've been using your program since mid last year and out at the range the other day I figured I'd stretch out that 300 win mag to 600-700 yards and see if i could hit what I was seeing. Staked a couple of BIG scope sight-in targets, you know the ones, tiny 1 in square grid with black blocks in all 4 quadrants for clarity, on my rack and hiked back to the starting line. Only 3 other shooters out there and they were getting irritated with me taking 10 minutes to hike out 700 yrds and back... LoL Oh well...

I check the wind, hmmm. about 8-10 MPH almost directly from the 3 oclock position... no big deal, dial in the drift, dial up the distance, chronograph all set up, BANG... miss. OK... what the hell.

Round 2, maybe a bit more wind, try another 2 clicks. know the distance is right, used the laser and already been shootin there. so... BANG. miss again. OK WTF.
I yell clear... get the reply and hike my ass back down to the target... no holes! WTF, I dialed the right way, know the wind is around 10 MPH and wait just a fuckin minute.
It's blowin from the opposite direction...

Yep... the damn wind was blowin from the 9 oclock direction opposite what it was at the bench.
So... any chance of getting that program to second guess the wind?
LOL Jus Kiddin.

It's awesome... if I can remember that garbage in = garbage out.
Went back to the line, took out all the drift. BANG. nice hole in that target....

just stumbled on this while surfing the web

http://www.f3j.net/

Windmeter might be cool to have them work together. They have a windmeter on IPHONE that is supposed to be accurate to 1/2 mph.

just a thought

I would like to see someone write a chrono package for Android.

This would use the microphone to register the noise spikes of muzzle blast and target clang, along with atmospherics and user entered distance data(measured); to give a time-of-flight.
This TOF data could be used along with atmospherics, bullet weight/drag data to formulate velocities that should be much more accurate than the chrono's most of us use.

Just my opinion. Most people are annoyed with my musings.
smile.gif

This is the only app I have paid for, and its great. I appreciate how its always being improved. Keep up the good work.

I just purchased Delta IV http://precisionworkbench.com/ a couple of days ago and it works great ... and the shooter program matches up until about 500 yds and they they start to give different solutions. When I put in all my info with my rifle and scope and BC Delta IV was dead on. When I put the same info(as much as I could) into my Droid with shooter .. I was about 2.75 inches low and 1 inch to the left. As for me I am sold on Delta IV -- Thank you Lindy for pointing me in that direction.

Anyway that was my result.

Good luck to you all....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased Delta IV http://precisionworkbench.com/ a couple of days ago and it works great ... and the shooter program matches up until about 500 yds and they they start to give different solutions. When I put in all my info with my rifle and scope and BC Delta IV was dead on. When I put the same info(as much as I could) into my Droid with shooter .. I was about 2.75 inches low and 1 inch to the left. As for me I am sold on Delta IV -- Thank you Lindy for pointing me in that direction.

Anyway that was my result.

Good luck to you all.... </div></div>
Can you please post all your inputs?

Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Hi Sean.. I have been using your program for awhile now and I like it.. I have a question concerning the BT with a kestrel..

Does the wind direction DL into shooter as well..

Before I pony up the dimes for a new 4500BT to replace my 4000NV I would like to know if the direction is used as well..

Blygy

When will the Hornady 178 BTHP be added to the bullet library?

Why does it give the same shooting solution for + and - inclines?

BarretHunter;
The angle is all that matters. Up or down, it is the same solution. The angled shot is adjust by the program to account for the horizontal distance between the shooter and the target....and this is the same for two shots at the same shot-distance at a 30 degree up or down angle.

jdberry;
I have not used this feature, but....
I believe that it allows you to account for a zero when you are actually hitting the target a bit high or low at the zero distance. This can be useful if you shoot different loads in the same gun but don't want to have to re-zero every time you switch ammo.

Example:
If your 180 grain load hits dead-center at 100 yard zero but your 200 grain load does not.....this offset allows you to note how low or high the 200 grain load is from the standard zero you established with the 180 grain load......and the shooting results will be correct for both loads.

Hi Folks first post here.

Sean

I've recently bought an Huawei IDEOS U 8150-D running Android V2.2 and tried to buy your Shooter application from the Android Market unfortunately the Android Market website says I can't use Shooter on the IDEOS. Is this correct and if so why, is there a minimum specification for running the application?

Regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BarretHunter;
The angle is all that matters. Up or down, it is the same solution. The angled shot is adjust by the program to account for the horizontal distance between the shooter and the target....and this is the same for two shots at the same shot-distance at a 30 degree up or down angle.
</div></div>
Rafael, many folks do conciser the differences too small to call them out but in all reality the farther away the target is moved the bigger the difference between shooting up and shooting down.

An 338 Edge with 300 gr. SMK will show the following differences at an altitude of 5000' using standard conditions:

<span style="color: #990000">700 Yards 30° UP drops 83.1"
700 Yards -30° DOWN drops 82.6"</span> That's only <span style="color: #000099">0.5"</span> difference.

<span style="color: #990000">1500 yards 30° UP drops 613.6"
1500 yards -30° DOWN drops 593.6 </span> That's <span style="color: #000099">20"</span> that will mess us up big time.

Eaglet;
I don't doubt you a bit. I have seen your discussions and am convinced that you know this stuff better than I.

I figured that since the difference at shorter ranges was fairly insignificant, and no one answered the gent, I tossed out an answer that could serve many who don't shoot longer distances; keeping in mind that I would be quickly corrected if I was wrong.
What took you so long?
smile.gif

I welcome the correction; for my education as well as the OP's.
I dont encounter angles in my area so I have not spent much time educating myself on the particulars, even though I should.
Guilty!

Thank you, sir!

Very nice app! I just gotta figure out the whole "g" thing now. Anybody know of any good articles or where I can read up on this and determine what "g" values I need for my 308 and 6.5grendel. Thanks Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice app! I just gotta figure out the whole "g" thing now. Anybody know of any good articles or where I can read up on this and determine what "g" values I need for my 308 and 6.5grendel. Thanks Jason </div></div>

By "g" values, I assume you are referring to the ballistic coefficient (BC) for one of the commonly used drag models (G1 or G7). Bullet makers publish BCs for their bullets, and there are other sources (Brian Litz's book has a bunch of G7 BCs listed).

The good news for you is that Shooter has a pretty extensive library of bullets built right in -- all you have to do is pick the bullet you are using. If you choose a bullet with "Litz" after it, it will use Brian Litz's excellent G7 BC data (though per agreement with Brian, the G7 BC value will not be displayed).

Just purchased shooter yesterday, and I have already a problem.
Very first bullet I tried, Lapua 155gr Scenar, doesent seem to go right.

With values MV 850mps, airpressure 101.3kPa, RH70%, temp 20C, getting 7.4mils (Litz) elevation at 1000meters. Using MC mildot, if that matters. With "normal" Scenar from boolit library, elevation is 7.7or so. Those not even close to right, correct elevation is easily over 10mils, maybe even 11.

Any ideas? Bug or just me?
After going thru setup menu several times, cant figure out what could be wrong in inputs.

Also, managed to jam up whole phone (HTC Desire Z) when inputting temp. Accidently pressed *,*. several times in that datafield. First software freezed, then whole phone.
Another note is about atmospheric inputs. In metric form, airpressure unit is kilopascals (kPa).
It should be either hectopascals (hPa) or millibars (mbar). Both are kPa multiplyed by 10. Not a big deal, but still bit silly.

Important feature which would need bit tweaking is wind.
In solution screen, smallest possible step increment seems to be 1 meters per second. Its too big, 0.5, or even 0.2 would be better. At thousand with moderate wind, one step is close to 1mil, 0.8 or so. Its way too coarse.

EDIT, atleast got elevation right...
Scope height input unit is centimeters, not millimeters...
blush.gif

Hi... I just last night downloaded and installed the program. It looks like it's going to be a great tool once I figure out what half of the stuff means. I'm too new to exterior ballistics, and don't have the skill or knowledge to figure it out on my own, so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. I downloaded the manual, but I think it's built for those with far more knowledge than I have. I'm still asking myself about "Powder Temperature"... What is it, how does it matter, and how would you even know what your powder temperature is..? I'd like to see a little more detail and explaination in the manual, however, I am aware that the program is the program, and not school for the uneducated...

Just the same... I'd appreciate any input, suggestions, or help that anyone may wish to offer...

Thanks..

Hi Sean..

In regards to changes and updates to your program... Is there any kind of notification process in place now..?, and if not how do we go about getting patches, etc. for the version we have..?

Thanks,

Shaun

Here to report a serious Android crash caused by the BT plugin for Shooter. Yesterday as I was trying to sync, the phone locked up and would not respond to any inputs whatsoever. I had to remove the battery to reset the device.

I then tried it again and the same thing happened after a reboot. Sean, I think this needs a bit more QA for the latest Shooter version.

Great program. Used the data on my weather meter, entered it into Shooter, and I was dead on from 200-1000. Only minute changes were needed, eg., program showed X.8, so I would use .75 (using .25 moa). Other than that, program accuracy was very impressive.

Hey mattmcg, is the issue re-producible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S. McConnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Sean..

In regards to changes and updates to your program... Is there any kind of notification process in place now..?, and if not how do we go about getting patches, etc. for the version we have..?

Thanks,

Shaun </div></div>

Updates are posted on http://shooter.kndy.net. You can go into the Market to download any releases within minutes of me posting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey mattmcg, is the issue re-producible? </div></div>

I was able to reproduce it a third time in the parking lot after the competition to see what might be happening. This location has very sporadic cell coverage and the phone was working double time trying to stay connected to a 3G data signal. This was causing a bit of pause on the phone and when you would sync to the Bluetooth Kestrel, it would cause the crash.

Now that I'm home and have strong cell signal, I can't seem to reproduce it unfortunately. I've tried just every scenario to try to isolate it and the only thing different from when the error would occur was in a marginal coverage zone. Perhaps the lag in the phone is causing the error.

Disregard....RTFM and your questions will be answered.
wink.gif

will this work on the samsung impression?

If you upgrade to a new phone do you have to buy the app again or does it transfer?

Sean, how is your major update coming along? Have any news or an ETA that you can share?

It transfers.... Just retain your same Google login to have access to all you've purchased in the Android market.

i really wish i could get this for my crap pile of a phone it looks alsome
can i get it for my computer.

hey sean great app. is ther a way to compare difrent rifles on the graph or just difrent bullets of the same caliber? for example it would be cool if i could compare loads from a 6.5 to those of a .308 without adding them to my .308 rifle loads page.

been using your app for a while now and have found it very useful. even used it on an elk hunt.

thanks lsm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lsm62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey sean great app. is ther a way to compare difrent rifles on the graph or just difrent bullets of the same caliber? for example it would be cool if i could compare loads from a 6.5 to those of a .308 without adding them to my .308 rifle loads page.

been using your app for a while now and have found it very useful. even used it on an elk hunt.

thanks lsm </div></div>
There is no way currently, but I'll consider adding this ability.

I want to get anyones input on the following new concept layout for inputs into Shooter. The goal is to make the input screens less cluttered so that they're more clear at a glance.

Thanks,
Sean

new_input_layout.png

hey shaun if i buy your program for my phone and got a problem can i stop by and have you show me how it works?hell can i just buy it from you directly.i live in gillette so metting you around town shouldnt be a problem.hows your brother doing?havent seen him since i was up at the hospital when todd zenor wrecked his brains out.

Sean,

That is an interesting screen input. On first glance, I say I like it but I do think the important thing is how a user inputs their info and gets back to calculate their output. With your implementation, will it make it quicker?

It definitely is much more organized and easier to read. If it is a simple tap on an item with a simplified input screen to increase the speed, it would be a nice improvement.

That said, are you also still contemplating the easier heads up display suggested a few months ago? That is the big improvement I'm personally looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: motodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey shaun if i buy your program for my phone and got a problem can i stop by and have you show me how it works?hell can i just buy it from you directly.i live in gillette so metting you around town shouldnt be a problem.hows your brother doing?havent seen him since i was up at the hospital when todd zenor wrecked his brains out. </div></div>

My bro is good. He's married and has a baby daughter now.

As far as purchasing the app, it's best if you do it from the Market itself that way you get updates pushed to you automatically. I also have a website for the app including a manual here: http://shooter.kndy.net

If anything is still confusing, you can call or email me.

Still waiting for 30min interval on wind -and half-meter steps in wind magnitude (meters per second).