• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

I frequently wait (say 3-5 min) for the atmospherics to update for my location (using new HTC Thunderbolt and 3g Verizon network). A lot of the time, it just appears as if the program/phone isn't doing anything at all or it's frozen. I usually try to refresh to see if it can pull the data which probably delays it even more.

Would it make sense to add an icon or something (akin to Windows spinning hourglass) to let the user know that its attempting to d/l the atmospherics? At least that way I would know better than to mess with it while it's working.

Thanks,

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to get anyones input on the following new concept layout for inputs into Shooter. The goal is to make the input screens less cluttered so that they're more clear at a glance.

Thanks,
Sean

new_input_layout.png

</div></div>

You used to have a button to calculate distance from mil info and target size. Where did that go?

I think the new screen will be faster, not so much bouncing around.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You used to have a button to calculate distance from mil info and target size. Where did that go?

I think the new screen will be faster, not so much bouncing around.

Thanks.
</div></div>This is located in the menu now. When you're on that screen, touch the menu button on your phone to access it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esheato</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I frequently wait (say 3-5 min) for the atmospherics to update for my location (using new HTC Thunderbolt and 3g Verizon network). A lot of the time, it just appears as if the program/phone isn't doing anything at all or it's frozen. I usually try to refresh to see if it can pull the data which probably delays it even more.

Would it make sense to add an icon or something (akin to Windows spinning hourglass) to let the user know that its attempting to d/l the atmospherics? At least that way I would know better than to mess with it while it's working.

Thanks,

Ed </div></div>
Your GPS icon by your clock should be blinking as it tries to acquire a fix. After it does, assuming you do have a data connection, it should be near instant after that. After it does get a GPS fix and is attempting to then download weather data from the internet, it should show a spinning type indicator. Usually you don't even see it because it's too fast. Does your GPS icon stop blinking?

Rog.

Spinner comes on when I enter the program, but stays on for only a second or two.

GPS icon flashes the whole time but I usually get to the input screen and put it down for a few minutes and do something else...when I come back, it's updated. Sounds like it's a phone/network/connectivity issue.

Wow, I just stumbled onto this thread. It's a shame that I have to wait until November before I can upgrade my WinMo 6.5 phone to an Android phone.

In the next 1-2 weeks, I will be releasing a website that allows you to manage all your profiles online. This will make it simpler to enter in all your data and then sync it to your device when you're done. You will use the same username/password to login that you do currently to sync profiles.

Later I may add the ability to run calculations online, print tables, etc.

Used the new input screens on Friday to get a bit of train up practice for the Norcal TBRC competition. Really liked the new menus. Very quick and intuitive.

A nice update Sean.

Sean,
(1) Have you tried this on a tablet yet? Is it the same screens just larger?

(2) For those of us without a chronograph, and use factory loads, maybe you could link to a library of ammo data? Like federal GMM loads, Hornady mtch loads, etc?

This app looks good.

Guys,

I've finished the first version of the online profile manager. I'm not going to put it on the site until some more testing has been done.

Please try it out here: http://manage.shooterapp.net

Edit: I should mention that you use the same login that you use to sync profiles with in Shooter. If you don't have one, you can create one on your device or on that site.

Very nice! Went in and updated my account. Will play with it some more tonight as I need to add a few loads.

This is great, Sean.
Works fine for me. Will run through it more in the days to come.
Operating on generator power tonight.....fkin storm blew everything out this afternoon.

Thanks Raf. That sucks, it was pretty stormy here too.

I had my neighbors hooked up to my generator for the last 3 hours.......fridges and cell phones anyway. Its a small thing I can do to make things easier for some of them.

I dig the ability to maintain profiles online! Makes data entry and maintainence easier. Thanks for all the updates to the best mobile-device ballistic software available.

We need to have a beer or five, one of these days!

I need you as my neighbor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to buy SHOOTER from Latvia. I see Latvia is opened for Android Market to buy apps from developers.
http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294
Still cannot see SHOOTER as available to buy. I see other apps from seankndy, but SHOOTER. </div></div>
Try now. You may need to kill Market app and reopen it.

Thanks for this app, I've had it for a few months now. As for it's outstanding performance...ask beenjammin how he feels about my app hahaha
smile.gif

Thank you! Just paid and downloaded. Looks great
smile.gif

I just tried the website. Looks good but had a couple issues. Wind and elevation came up as 1/20 that was an easy fix. I deleted a couple profiles and they disappeared on the web but not the phone. When I synced again it put them back on the website. Can't get them to delete on the phone.

Disregard... I'm a little slow. For everyone else, make sure you select web to device when syncing back to the phone.

When you ran the sync; did you select "Device -> Web" or "Web -> Device"?
In that situation you should have used "Web -> Device".

On the previous version you had to select the manner in which you entered or obtained atmospheric data (3 choices). The new version doesn't have this. Is this selection no longer needed or am I missing it? If not needed, that is a good thing because I was never certain which one to choose previously
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the previous version you had to select the manner in which you entered or obtained atmospheric data (3 choices). The new version doesn't have this. Is this selection no longer needed or am I missing it? If not needed, that is a good thing because I was never certain which one to choose previously
smile.gif
. </div></div>

Leaving Pressure is Absolute unchecked is the same as "By altitude and corrected SLP". Checking it is the same as "Station", and unchecking it and setting Baro. Pressure to 0 is the same as "By altitude".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you ran the sync; did you select "Device -> Web" or "Web -> Device"?
In that situation you should have used "Web -> Device". </div></div>

Yeah... I got it figured out about 5 minutes after posting. Was going to delete it but figured someone else might make the same silly error.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the current input screen. </div></div>

I second this, I have tried this new screen, and it is not for me. Sean, is their a way for some to revert back to the old screen?

I do like the app, A LOT! It is a lot more seamless than jbm, for me. Its been within .25moa on come ups out to 750yds so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sean,
(1) Have you tried this on a tablet yet? Is it the same screens just larger?

(2) For those of us without a chronograph, and use factory loads, maybe you could link to a library of ammo data? Like federal GMM loads, Hornady mtch loads, etc?

This app looks good. </div></div>

In regards to your question. I dont have a chrono either. What I did, was took a rangefinder, shot at 100 yds to confirm zero, then again at 250, 320, 375, 450, 500 and 570 (just random no rhyme or reason to it) After I acquired that dope, I put in all my info into shooter, put in a velocity, then put in the atmospheric for that day, and used his muzzle velocity tool to find my speed. I just increased/decreased my velocity until I found a trajectory that matched those data points. It has been on for me so far out to 750yds doing it like that.

fwiw

I have to say, I have used the new screen in 3 comps now and it is much faster and easier. Don't change it! If you do, make it an option then......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the current input screen. </div></div>

I second this, I have tried this new screen, and it is not for me. Sean, is their a way for some to revert back to the old screen?

I do like the app, A LOT! It is a lot more seamless than jbm, for me. Its been within .25moa on come ups out to 750yds so far.

</div></div>What about the new layout is debilitating to you? The new layout basically puts all inputs in an even line-by-line layout to make things more clear. Is it the lack of actual input boxes that you don't like?

So far my only issue is the weather data not being fetched (as I wrote in a PM recently) and the fact that the latitude is not saved for coriolis. I don't need it, but if it is activated I have to scroll down to type in the same exact value, when I have the GPS disabled. Without the local weather data I don't need the GPS anyway. Interestingly, Wunder has local weather data on their page for the area I am shooting in (not spot on, but close enough for my needs).

And another suggestion would be the drop chart orientation. Would be nice if it was shown rotated in the first place, so that the graph is not clinched so much. Just a suggestion, nothing serious. Would save loading time, though.

Anyway, great app, simple to use and as far as I can tell pretty accurate.

Maybe you could add a reticle library for quick reference of the hash marks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the current input screen. </div></div>

</div></div>What about the new layout is debilitating to you? The new layout basically puts all inputs in an even line-by-line layout to make things more clear. Is it the lack of actual input boxes that you don't like? </div></div>

Ive spent some good time with the new layout and to be honest I dont know which screen I prefer anymore. Both worked well and I dont fell like anything is missing.

Its GTG Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the current input screen. </div></div>

</div></div>What about the new layout is debilitating to you? The new layout basically puts all inputs in an even line-by-line layout to make things more clear. Is it the lack of actual input boxes that you don't like? </div></div>

I have a tougher time inputting the data into the newer screen, and getting into the correct field. I liked how the old one right on the screen had the buttons to hit, to get your angle, and to do the ranging math, not to have to go into the menu.

Nothing major, just a few things.

I might be the odd man out, but I like the new one. I'm running a mytouch slide 3G and it has the optical mouse on it that I use to select fields.

Calculating range is on a menu button now, which I also like.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">How long does it take for a droid to get "Authorized"? My phones been saying "Authorizing" for three hours now.</span>

Belay my last...... Finally got it downloaded, and WOW!

Can we get Mach numbers?

I wanna know where I hit Mach 1.2...

We already have all the data for it...

Hi Sean,
First off, thanks for a great program and all the work you are doing. Been using 'Shooter' for a while now and liking it a lot.

I have 2 questions/requests. They may have been answered already in the thread, but I haven't seen them in the first 15 pages, so please forgive me if I'm going over old ground.

As a Brit civvy of a certain age I use a mix of metric and imperial. Distances and angles in imperial, but atmospherics in metric, and it's your choice of metric pressure units I question. Here the weather service gives pressure in millibars, not sure what the continentals use but think it's the same. I also see the Kestrel uses millibars or hectopascals (same thing, different name) so wonder why you have chosen kilopascals as this requires the user to have to remember to move the decimal when taking figures from the weather service or the Kestrel. Not a biggy, but just something else to have to try and remember. Would it be possible to change the units in the next update to mb or hPa?

My other question is for those who use a cosine indicator. Could you include the option to input the angle as cosine for those who would rather that method?

Thanks again.

All the Best
Jon

Indeed, stumbled upon the unit too when I typed in 1013 hPa...

Does the weather service work for you in Britain? How many weather stations are around your shooting area?

Anyway, found out the dope is dead on for 300 m...
wink.gif
Maybe I can test that app on 1k soon. I keep my fingers crossed.

To be honest only tried the atmospheric auto input once and the temp was quite a bit out, probably due to altitude and distance from the sea. We get quite a difference in temp in the UK between low/coastal and upland/inland. A lot of the weather stations tend to be coastal. So I enter the data direct from my Kestrel or other gadgets. When I said 'weather service' I was meaning more the Met Office who provide the data for weather forecasting etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill agree with ubet, i have to hit the input fields multiple times before the text box will come up and allow me to input data. </div></div>

I am seeing the same thing on my phone. It's like I have to be real careful to tap in exactly the right spot to get the keypad to come up for inputs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill agree with ubet, i have to hit the input fields multiple times before the text box will come up and allow me to input data. </div></div>

I am seeing the same thing on my phone. It's like I have to be real careful to tap in exactly the right spot to get the keypad to come up for inputs. </div></div>

Maybe I am being picky but adding to this, it would be nice if the keyboard would disappear so it makes it easier to scroll up and down too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill agree with ubet, i have to hit the input fields multiple times before the text box will come up and allow me to input data. </div></div>

I am seeing the same thing on my phone. It's like I have to be real careful to tap in exactly the right spot to get the keypad to come up for inputs. </div></div>

Maybe I am being picky but adding to this, it would be nice if the keyboard would disappear so it makes it easier to scroll up and down too. </div></div>

I agree 100%. There use to be a "hide keyboard" button. But now when you go to the input field page the keyboard automatically pops up. Only way I have found to hide it is to hit the menu button.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill agree with ubet, i have to hit the input fields multiple times before the text box will come up and allow me to input data. </div></div>

Same. The update a few weeks ago caused this. I liked the old format for entering data better.

I like the app quite a bit. Works great on a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tablet. Screen is big enough that the keyboard doesn't bother me.

I would however like the header to stay at the top in the table view. If you have say 10yd increments for a 1000yd table, you loose the headers when scrolling. Takes me a second to process the columns without the headers.

Great app. but I liked it better when it first came out. It seems like their updates are messing it up.

Just purchased the app, looks amazing so far but no trigger time behind it yet! From what I read, it looks like it performs as well as it looks.