• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

Re: Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Savage killing the Custom Rifle market? Hell NO!!!

But they're beating the shit out of Remington right now.

</div></div>

Word...
cool.gif

I might just make this my sig so I don't have to post it anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like the way they look. I don't like the way they feel. I don't like the lack of options available for them.

That said, I wouldn't race for pink slips against one either and I don't talk shit about those who shoot them. </div></div>

I don't understand why we keep hashing this argument out. Who gives a shit what you shoot? If you've got a Savage and can put any other rifle on the range or at a comp to shame then by all means do it. I've never seen anybody whipped by a less expensive rifle try to use "well I spent thousands more than you did" to feel better about the situation.

This has to be one of the silliest dick measuring contests on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Again... SERIOUSLY???

I also have TWO AIAWs each with: Thunderbeast 30-P1 cans, Spuhr 44.4 MOA mounts, S&B 5-25x56 scopes (H2CMR), and Atlas bipods (in other words, the best of everything).

Can you say the same, boy? </div></div>

Seriously??????? I mean Seriously????

You bought 2 of them overpriced pieces of shit with them worthless S&B scopes???? Seriously??? Why not support the US made manufacturers like Savage who you have been defending???? They seem to shoot as good or better on an average so you have been claiming!!!!! No wonder our fricking economy sucks, it is the elite 1% such as yourself buying overseas made garbage just because you can whilst us po folk are left with US made chit!!!! Yes I am being sarcastic about AI and S&B but really.......

Talk about a contridictory arguement. Brag and defend how well an American made rifle shoots then brag about paying $10K+ not once but twice for something no better as far as accuracy was your arguement. Your funny!!!!!! You just proved that all you wanted was an arguement!!! Nothing but trying to appear smarter etc then myself! What a tool! Did I mention anywhere on why I don't post much anymore???? Example ^^^^^^^^ if I didn't. I am done with this horseshit hypocracy!!!!! </div></div>

Quickdraw, if you are judging shooting ability on the gear you have... you still have a lot to learn.

Savages are not consistent out of the box, its been proven. Most Remingtons are not consistent out of the box. Factory built rifles are mass produced so the attention to detail is not that great.

Get over it....

when I go to the range and whip out my stick , I don't want it to look like all the rest of the WalMart massed produced clubs .
A rifle should be apart of your personna....just like the cars you own or house you live in...I built my rifle the way I WANTED IT !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morgan711</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> when I go to the range and whip out my stick , I don't want it to look like all the rest of the WalMart massed produced clubs .
A rifle should be apart of your personna....just like the cars you own or house you live in...I built my rifle the way I WANTED IT ! </div></div>

Nothing wrong with that. But everyone isn't "built" the same way you are.

For some, a car is an extension of their personality. For me, it's a way to get from point "A" to point "B". Now, I wouldn't be seen in a Minivan, but a ten year old pickemup suits me just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched savages shooting at golf ball sized targets at 1000 with 15 power scopes. I watched a savage cold bore a 1535 target with a shooter that never fired the weapon before. I seen a .5 moa target at 600 get wore out. I fired several hits over and over at 1100 yard hits with my savage .260. I have 1k in my savage and would put it against my ai any day of the week. </div></div>

I would never own an AI. Pretty much for the simple reason that I could purchase 3 or more savages for the same price. Fact is Savage brings enough accuracy and reliability that 99% of the people on this forum need. </div></div>

Ok you want a cookie, or 3 gummy bears...didn't ask if you would care to own one. I own one and savages, each rifle has its place. I would buy another ai, but savage won't take over the market to many politics, egos, and fads for those to die off. Instead more feelings to be hurt by savage shooters. </div></div>

Thanks. Point proven. Politics, EGOS and FADS. So it's not about function or reliability. It's about egos and fads. Well I could give 2 shits less about egos and fads. Don't care how cool my rifle looks. Don't give a flying rats ass if it is 1/4 the price of the bozo next to me at the range. bottom line is it works when called upon better than most if not all other rifles in a similar price range. You can have your politics, egos, fads, cookie and 3 gummy bears. Don't need that shit. Got what works for me and I will stick with it. </div></div>

My ai has nothing to do with my ego or a fad. Don't forget an ai is 100% factory rifle. Have you ever shot a competition with your savage.

You get the feeling he never has Ouch....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You get the feeling he never has Ouch.... </div></div>

I do get that feeling some people can shoot them in competition very well. I had bad juju with mine to really no ones fault but my own. But I've watched a custom rifle have an issue in weather where a savage shot well in too. I have barely if ever heard an ai break down in a competition or in battle under any circumstance and when you have that confidence in your equipment weather it be a savage, rem, custom or all the other rifles makes that's what matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You get the feeling he never has Ouch.... </div></div>

I do get that feeling some people can shoot them in competition very well. I had bad juju with mine to really no ones fault but my own. But I've watched a custom rifle have an issue in weather where a savage shot well in too. I have barely if ever heard an ai break down in a competition or in battle under any circumstance and when you have that confidence in your equipment weather it be a savage, rem, custom or all the other rifles makes that's what matters. </div></div>

Yup. I've had issues with a few customs based on weather and other factors. My AIs have NEVER given me a single issue period. They are built to run forever and thats why they command the price that they do.

I own several customs and several Savages. I will say this, I have one Savage that comes very close to my customs accuracy wise, but cannot compare to the quality. What I love about my Savages is I can simply take them out and beat the ever loving shit out of them, and really don't care. I think they are already ugly, so what's it gonna hurt? They are good guns and I'm glad I own them, but If the world was ending, you wouldn't catch me with a Savage. Just to scared that something's going to break, "which I have had happen". So in the end I think that for the money, you just can't go wrong with a Savage. But if you have the money, it's night and day difference between a custom and a shelf gun. I know that my custom guns will be around forever, I'm not so sure of my Savages yet. Especially if my son keep's using them!

What if you just don't like savage? I'm not stating they don't shoot lights out, or aren't a good rifle or anything like that. Quite frankly for me personally I absolutely hate the way a savage action looks.

Like the others have said people want what they want. The comment about a factory rifle coming off the shelf with a m40/m24 contour, .284 winchester, throated for 162grs, in a mcm stock has the right idea. By the time a production company does that, you might as well go custom because their going to charge just as much if not more than a custom.

It's irrelevant whether the shooter has/does shoot competition.
It's the rifles that are being discussed, right?

Now, playing devil's advocate it doesn't state that these sticks are <span style="font-style: italic">absolutely</span>stock...I'm sure they just don't pull them off the assembly line. But no one can make a sane argument that this isn't impressive in any regard.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=3ij567qnL

Oooh, yeah! Well my Dad can beat up your Dad and his Ford is faster than your Chevy!

No, wait. Wrong thread...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JES629</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooh, yeah! Well my Dad can beat up your Dad and his Ford is faster than your Chevy!

No, wait. Wrong thread... </div></div>

Lol. IDK last night it would have fit right in.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is where the problem lies
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There have been, and there are now even more, Savage rifles, that are 'consistently accurate' out of the box.
I started off with a Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, bolted on a Choate Tactical stock, and used boxed Cor-Bon box ammo, and immediately shot <span style="font-weight: bold">.25"-.37" groups, consistently at 100 yards.</span> This was followed up with first round hits at 600, 850, and 925 yards.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ankeny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recently bought a Savage Max 1 Predator in 6.5-284 and it shoots in the .3's-.4's.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My passion for proving to my 'die hard custom rifle owning, custom hand loading' friends wrong, didn't end at my $850 rifle. I always used box ammo. Don't get me wrong, I reload, and firmly believe in it. But, there is nothing like <span style="font-weight: bold">1/4", 5 shot groups, with an $850 rifle and off the shelf ammo, consistently!</span></div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had three different calibers of Cor-Bon ammo(22-250, .260, and 338 Lapua), that have all been sub 1/2 moa, and I have all of my targets saved in my phone.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they[Savage] are manufacturing sub $1,000 rifles capable of <span style="font-weight: bold">consistenly grouping less than 0.5 MOA. We have one that groups consistently in the SUB 0.3 MOA </span>in 270 Win.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's tons of guys on these threads shooting stock savages under 1/2 moa, with proof!!!</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, my wife has a STOCK Savage Model 99 in 300 savage that produces 1/2 moa groups at 200 yards everytime. I will dig up some photos to prove. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is pretty simple. My factory savage will shoot 1/2 moa. Period. I know a load of others that do the same.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched savages shooting at golf ball sized targets at 1000 with 15 power scopes. I watched a savage cold bore a 1535 target with a shooter that never fired the weapon before. I seen a .5 moa target at 600 get wore out. I fired several hits over and over at 1100 yard hits with my savage .260. I have 1k in my savage and would put it against my ai any day of the week. </div></div>
</div></div>
^^^^^^ This.

You'd think this forum is chock full of world-class champion-caliber shooters that just haven't had the time, opportunity, or inclination to compete. I have read <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WAY</span></span> too many 1/2MOA claims all over the place here...and rarely is there ever a pic. Most times if there is one it is a close up of a likely 3 shot miracle. If you do feel the need to brag about how awesome of a shooter you are...how freaking phenomenal your stick groups...or this bad-ass new load you came up with... Then prove it with a nice 5x5 to back up those big-mouth claims. Otherwise, the only thing you're accomplishing is stoking the flames of opinion - that you're full of shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is where the problem lies
There have been, and there are now even more, Savage rifles, that are 'consistently accurate' out of the box.
I started off with a Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, bolted on a Choate Tactical stock, and used boxed Cor-Bon box ammo, and immediately shot <span style="font-weight: bold">.25"-.37" groups, consistently at 100 yards.</span> This was followed up with first round hits at 600, 850, and 925 yards.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ankeny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recently bought a Savage Max 1 Predator in 6.5-284 and it shoots in the .3's-.4's.</div></div>
My passion for proving to my 'die hard custom rifle owning, custom hand loading' friends wrong, didn't end at my $850 rifle. I always used box ammo. Don't get me wrong, I reload, and firmly believe in it. But, there is nothing like <span style="font-weight: bold">1/4", 5 shot groups, with an $850 rifle and off the shelf ammo, consistently!</span></div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had three different calibers of Cor-Bon ammo(22-250, .260, and 338 Lapua), that have all been sub 1/2 moa, and I have all of my targets saved in my phone.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they[Savage] are manufacturing sub $1,000 rifles capable of <span style="font-weight: bold">consistenly grouping less than 0.5 MOA. We have one that groups consistently in the SUB 0.3 MOA </span>in 270 Win.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's tons of guys on these threads shooting stock savages under 1/2 moa, with proof!!!</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the record, my wife has a STOCK Savage Model 99 in 300 savage that produces 1/2 moa groups at 200 yards everytime. I will dig up some photos to prove. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is pretty simple. My factory savage will shoot 1/2 moa. Period. I know a load of others that do the same.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched savages shooting at golf ball sized targets at 1000 with 15 power scopes. I watched a savage cold bore a 1535 target with a shooter that never fired the weapon before. I seen a .5 moa target at 600 get wore out. I fired several hits over and over at 1100 yard hits with my savage .260. I have 1k in my savage and would put it against my ai any day of the week. </div></div>
</div></div>
^^^^^^ This.

You'd think this forum is chock full of world-class champion-caliber shooters that just haven't had the time, opportunity, or inclination to compete. I have read <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WAY</span></span> too many 1/2MOA claims all over the place here...and rarely is there ever a pic. Most times if there is one it is a close up of a likely 3 shot miracle. If you do feel the need to brag about how awesome of a shooter you are...how freaking phenomenal your stick groups...or this bad-ass new load you came up with... Then prove it with a nice 5x5 to back up those big-mouth claims. Otherwise, the only thing you're accomplishing is stoking the flames of opinion - that you're full of shit. </div></div>

All I have to say is book a plane ticket to a practice shoot that we have here in KY. There are several savages that you will see at that shoot, the claims that were quoted by me that you just replied to were the few that I can remember from just this past weekend. If anyone feels the need to put up or shut up, there are several savage drivers that will take a bet and bet you lose
smile.gif

There is no other mass produced rifle brand that draws more controversy that Savage does. Why?

I think Savage makes a reliable, accurate ENOUGH rifle. Why does it always stir up so much shit? Maybe because there is no other mass produced rifle company that is keeping up with them as far as factory options. Remington has fallen behind, Winchester is completely out of the game; "Rifleman's Rifle" not anymore, unfortunately. I agree there are Savage lovers that make sub MOA claims and they don't back it up with proof. There's always going to be some folks that muddy the waters for everyone else.

Yes Savage is offering options that used to only be found on custom rifles, but I don't see them "killing the custom rifle market." I own 2 Savage left hand bolt actions, a model 12 in .22-250 and a model 10 FLCP-K in .308 I purchased another model 12 in .223 to teach my wife and daughter with. I believe in them but I don't think the need for custom gunmakers will ever go away. Having stated that my next rifle will be a custom built on a LH Rem 700 Magnum action. The reason I own the model 10 and model 12 is because Savage had lefties available in the chambering that I wanted. The reason I'm going to have the Rem 700 action trued and a custom barell affixed is to get what I want again. Again, because Savage produced the rifle I wanted from the factory. No one produces a 7 mag with the twist rate I want, barrel contour I want, stock I want ect. ect.

I have replaced the stock and bottom metal on both of my Savages. Not because they wouldn't shoot but because an A-5 affords me better trigger control, and because CDI bottom metal affords easier mag ejection and holds 10 round mags.

I don't bash any other brand of rifle be it factory or a custom build. And I certainly don't understand why other Savage beleivers do.

Oh and by the way, I do shoot competitions with my model 10 and I'm not ashamed to do so.

At almost every match someone comes up to me and asks how does my Savage shoot. I tell them it keeps up just fine and then they go on to tell me how they don't understand some people hatin on Savages because they understood them to be a solid rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no other mass produced rifle brand that draws more controversy that Savage does. Why?

I think Savage makes a reliable, accurate ENOUGH rifle. Why does it always stir up so much shit? Maybe because there is no other mass produced rifle company that is keeping up with them as far as factory options. Remington has fallen behind, Winchester is completely out of the game; "Rifleman's Rifle" not anymore, unfortunately. I agree there are Savage lovers that make sub MOA claims and they don't back it up with proof. There's always going to be some folks that muddy the waters for everyone else.

Yes Savage is offering options that used to only be found on custom rifles, but I don't see them "killing the custom rifle market." I own 2 Savage left hand bolt actions, a model 12 in .22-250 and a model 10 FLCP-K in .308 I purchased another model 12 in .223 to teach my wife and daughter with. I believe in them but I don't think the need for custom gunmakers will ever go away. Having stated that my next rifle will be a custom built on a LH Rem 700 Magnum action. The reason I own the model 10 and model 12 is because Savage had lefties available in the chambering that I wanted. The reason I'm going to have the Rem 700 action trued and a custom barell affixed is to get what I want again. Again, because Savage produced the rifle I wanted from the factory. No one produces a 7 mag with the twist rate I want, barrel contour I want, stock I want ect. ect.

I have replaced the stock and bottom metal on both of my Savages. Not because they wouldn't shoot but because an A-5 affords me better trigger control, and because CDI bottom metal affords easier mag ejection and holds 10 round mags.

I don't bash any other brand of rifle be it factory or a custom build.<span style="font-weight: bold"> And I certainly don't understand why other Savage beleivers do.</span> </div></div>

Its the Civic/Neon syndrome.

I doubt Savage will effect the custom market simply because there will always be those who will pay to be able to say they have a-insert custom builder of your choice-. Savage makes good guns, but they will never have the prestige of a custom. This is of course talking about recreational shooting and not life or death, where the reliability of a custom should outshine any factory offering.

I can understand your argument however it really doesn't hold water in that this site does not allow us to directly post pictures. Or that maybe that person doesn't own a camera/scanner. Maybe that person simply didn't take a picture of their target. I know I don't take pics of any of my targets.

I for one will never post any pics on this site because it requires me to have a host site that I need to sign up for...too much a PIA.

If you need pics, ask. Maybe they'll send you a pic directly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can understand your argument however it really doesn't hold water in that this site does not allow us to directly post pictures. Or that maybe that person doesn't own a camera/scanner. Maybe that person simply didn't take a picture of their target. I know I don't take pics of any of my targets.

I for one will never post any pics on this site because<span style="font-weight: bold"> it requires me to have a host site that I need to sign up for...too much a PIA.</span>

If you need pics, ask. Maybe they'll send you a pic directly. </div></div>

Pretty much the weakest excuse I've heard in awhile.

I'm in the middle of a totally custom Savage build (my first Savage). It's moving slow as I'm on backorder for my SWFA SS 5-20x50. I will be custom fitting it into custom Seekins rings on a custom EGW HD mount onto my custom FCP-K.

Incorrect use of the word "custom" aside, when it is finished I will shoot a 5-5 at 100 using FGMM and post it. Can't say when that will happen but it will.

Hopefully I won't be a shitty shot on that day (not the best shot on a good day either), and hopefully I can get prone. Which may be hard since the ranges around here are getting stupid with their rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I for one will never post any pics on this site because<span style="font-weight: bold"> it requires me to have a host site that I need to sign up for...too much a PIA.</span>

If you need pics, ask. Maybe they'll send you a pic directly. </div></div>

Pretty much the weakest excuse I've heard in awhile.</div></div>
Totally agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I have to say is book a plane ticket to a practice shoot that we have here in KY. There are several savages that you will see at that shoot, the claims that were quoted by me that you just replied to were the few that I can remember from just this past weekend. If anyone feels the need to put up or shut up, there are several savage drivers that will take a bet and bet you lose
smile.gif
</div></div>
WTF?? Dude, are you a freaking moron? You're just proving my point. Why don't you just post all your awesome targets from your "Practice Shoot" so we can all see? No, instead you propose I buy a ticket to KY to validate your braggadocios claims?

Short of free handouts at Fort Knox, I can think of no reason I'd ever want to go to Kentucky...especially not to see a bunch of hillbillies try to shoot their Savages. I've seen Deliverance.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Short of free handouts at Fort Knox, I can think of no reason I'd ever want to go to Kentucky... </div></div>

Now you're just being unreasonable...

Not even the Derby? I call BS.

Wooooh, I use to live in Kentucky and can promise you that the state of Kentucky can bring it!!! They have some serious assed shooters that have come out of the Bluegrass State. And some of them are legends. Wasn't born or bred in Kentucky, but you might want to keep your personal comments directed towards the person, not the state!

Its a bit odd that reasonable people would argue so vociferously on a subject such as this? Didn't team USA win the World F class championships at Bisley recently, shooting Savages? I met one of the team members a couple of weeks ago. Great guy, shoots Savages and custom guns..

I just bought a Savage to try in the FTR class and am looking forward to finding out how well it shoots..

I have custom guns and non custom guns, it seems kind of cool to wheel into a match, Doreto bags falling out when you open the door, shoot a high master score with a Savage. I like that visual.

To be honest I'm not even arguing about Savages...I don't own any but my buddy does, and his shoots quite nice. I am just sick of people throwing around the term 1/2 & 1/4 MOA rifle, so flippantly. Especially without proof. Shooting one 1/2 MOA 3 shot group does not mean you have a legitimate tack-driving 1/2 MOA rifle. But if you're to believe most of the posts in this thread every damn Savage is an off-the-shelf 1/2 MOA gun...with the obligatory "..if I do my part..." which I guess explains why the gun never shoots that size group repeatedly.

If you're gonna brag then simply post a 5-shot 5-set group to back up your consistency claim. Hell, with all the "anytime" "always" "all-day" and other definitives that I've read acquiring one should be no problem.

I'm with ya. I'm a Savage shooter but I don't make such claims.

Hell I don't remember the last group I shot on paper with the rifle. I check zero, if POI matches POA in one shot I'm done wasting ammo punching paper at a hundred yards. Who gives a shit if you can stack 5 .308 rounds within 1/2" at a hundred yards anyway? If you hunt and/ or shoot comps you care more about ranging with the reticle, when necessary, judging wind and hitting a 1 MOA target at X distance anyway! And why would anyone care what name is engraved on the action of the rifle driven by the guy who can put lead on target consistantly. I shoot with buds that run Surgeons, Remingtons, and other customs and myself or anyone else there don't care what name is on the rifle as long as you can make a hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's irrelevant whether the shooter has/does shoot competition.
It's the rifles that are being discussed, right?

Now, playing devil's advocate it doesn't state that these sticks are <span style="font-style: italic">absolutely</span>stock...I'm sure they just don't pull them off the assembly line. But no one can make a sane argument that this isn't impressive in any regard.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=3ij567qnL </div></div>

im pretty sure its been confirmed that they do shoot off the shelf rifles

imm going to shoot tomorrow but my rifle isnt stock. its never been to a smith (except the action for a SSS T&T) but it has a shilen SS select match and i skim bedded it. now id be happy to post a few pics of targets but its no longer a stock factory gun. i sold the barrel before i even fired a shot out it and bought a shilen cause i got a smoking deal on it.

never owned anything else, cant really talk shit on a remy or winny. now if someone wants to let me shoot theirs, ill form an opinion. but as a savage owner, i will have to say some of the critics statements hold some water. one guys says he will never post pictures because the hide requires a host to post and thats too much trouble? wow, seriously? thats not really helping the savage nation, lol. so guys, barrel nuts, you savages, GRAB YOUR STICK AND BALLS AND POST SOME GROUPS IN THE 5X5 OR WHATEVER FORMAT THE NAY-SAYERS WANT AND PUT UP OR PLEASE, LET IT REST

i remember that quote or saying about a smart man arguing with an idiot. to the passers-by, its hard to tell who is who

WOW, Mr. Poopy pants!!

My point is just that there is lots of talk and I haven't heard of any actual meetings to truly compare the two in accuracy. I really don't care what anybody shoots, I just like to shoot. If you ever come up this way....(Montana), let me know, I will gladly take you out shooting in my neck of the woods. No, I don't have a custom rig yet, but I will someday soon.

Probably all true, I am new to reading and posting here. My GAP is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Straight out of the box, but I paid handsomely for it. I have heard all the talk about the Savages and was intrigued so I bought one. Im sure it will be a fine gun.

I think it really doesn't matter what rifle a guy owns, being proud of it and confident in it are all good things, especially with a beginner. These types of Positive thoughts are some of the components of a champion shooter.

My thoughts are that a guy that's good and experienced with the wind and other atmospheric conditions is a competent rifleman and has a 3/4 minute Savage will
smoke a guy not as experienced with a 1\4 minute custom gun in field conditions. So the recipe for success might be to buy the cheaper gun take the money you save and buy an ass load of ammo and shoot in every match you can in field conditions. There are all kinds of heros shooting groups from the bench, do it in the field under differing conditions, now there is your shooter.

I'm a little late to the party but Savage makes an accurate rifle that's easy for anyone to tune. All that's needed is a couple of tools and some gauges. That's awesome in and of itself.

Someone may have already mentioned this but what I think Savage is doing is cutting off their nose to spite their face. They should be marketing the switch barrel, customization avenue with the appropriate legal disclaimers. But what I see is that every year or so, there's something different with respect to barrel nuts or receiver hole spacing, etc. Why they won't support what their customers want to do is beyond me.

But I'll say this. If there was an AICS for the Savage then all bets would be off. I'd be running a Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I said corvette because the corvette guys really believe in their mind they are as good. </div></div>

Nice touch!

Im in the same place as RotARy15 here. I bought a Savage 10 FCP in an HS stock with a STOCK DBM which rocks. I tossed a Bushy Tactical Elite 3200 on there for glass and I was hitting .35MOA at 200 yards (where I always set my tac sticks to).

Prior to that, I had a nice (NICE) Remington 700P which shot about the same... after about 400 bucks worth of work to it.

Keep in mind, to get same accuracy here's a breakdown on cost:

<span style="font-weight: bold">(ALL Groups at 200 yards which is my zero)</span>
Savage 10 FCP in HS: 900$
Simmons 3200 Tactical Elite: 200$
Tax on both: 119$

Total Cost: 1,319$
Best Grp: 0.27MOA
Worst Group: 0.49MOA

Remington 700P: 870$ (on sale)
Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical: 200$
McMillan stock: 492$ (w/ aluminum bedding)
5R Barrel: 320$
DBM Mod: 219$

Tax... f' if I know

Total Cost: 2101$
Best Grp: 0.12MOA
Worst Group: 1.02MOA

Final thoughts: While the rem is ABLE to get better groups, it's not as consistent as my stock savage... not to mention the Remington ended up costing roughly 700$ more. I still have my 700 and shoot it quite often but the 10FCP is my favorite now.

I saw one dude who posted any photos of groups out of anything (happened to be a savage)... and HE was saying put up or shut up. Wouldn't be a bad idea to just follow his lead.

I vote if anyone wants to lay claim to accuracy, we go back to the days of 5 of 5 on one sheet- make a claim and don't back it up with that... instant ban. The bullshit is so thick around here lately, it can be difficult to dig through in that on-going effort of finding useful information.

Prove it with what used to be the ONLY standard around here, or your a worthless fucking liar.

I once fucked Natilie Portman, Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson, and Susan Ward all in the same day. I have tons of pics, but I can't figure out how to post them here...regardless my buddy will vouche for me. Or, you can buy a plane ticket out here and I'll show them to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once fucked Natilie Portman, Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson, and Susan Ward all in the same day. I have tons of pics, but I can't figure out how to post them here...regardless my buddy will vouche for me. Or, you can buy a plane ticket out here and I'll show them to you. </div></div>

Toss in Beatrice Arthur and that's pretty much my dream day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw one dude who posted any photos of groups out of anything (happened to be a savage)... and HE was saying put up or shut up. Wouldn't be a bad idea to just follow his lead.

I vote if anyone wants to lay claim to accuracy, we go back to the days of 5 of 5 on one sheet- make a claim and don't back it up with that... instant ban. The bullshit is so thick around here lately, it can be difficult to dig through in that on-going effort of finding useful information.

Prove it with what used to be the ONLY standard around here, or your a worthless fucking liar.</div></div>

Insta-ban seems a little extreme but i guess it would get the point across.

A lot of accuracy is shooter based also.

Let's just treat it like PeeWee's word of the day! I've started to scream every time I read "1/2 MOA, all day..." of course I'm only four thread in and starting to lose my voice.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">The one that shot this has a savage-like floating bolt head, that's close enough, right? I can't wait for the savage freaky groups to start streamin' in....what's taking so long? </span>

Bighorn3.jpg

260 Rem, 5 shots, 100 yards.

A guy that is ready to invest in a custom isn't going to suddenly be swayed into buying a Savage because they use a HS stock, dbm, and muzzle brake. Same goes for the guy ready to buy a S&B; he is not suddenly buying a PST because of its great "bang for the buck."

I will attempt the 5x5 this week hopefully at the range. Any request that I do it at 100,200,300 yards? This will not be with my go to load of 47.5 gr of 4831 in my 260AI, but, I have had a little time to play around with 4350. I am pretty confident that it can shoot nice at 100 if I can get my damn rifle to track right on my new rest. But I will do my best. This is not a stock savage at all.