• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Is the ATACR worth the extra money compared to the Vortex Gen 2 for strictly PRS style matches?

headhunter37

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2019
I searched and didn't see a previous thread on this topic. Please direct me if you know of one. I'm building a new rifle to get more serious about this addiction :) Cabelas has the Vortex HD Gen 2 for $1999, Retail on the ATACR is like $3100 for the 5-25 and $3600 for the 7-35.

It appears like a high percentage of the pros use the Vortex... https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

I own and love Nightforce on my hunting rig but there is quite the price difference. Thoughts?

NF was worth the cost to me.
Sold both my razors and upgraded to the 7-35.
Very happy with my decision.
Consider the new nightforce NX8 4-32
2150$ MAP

Reactions: sta24 and Friday
Just wanted to let all the Vortex fanboys know if you call them they will set you up with a wholesale account. You will never pay more than 50% msrp, no minimum limits. Go get em

I’ve got both and am very happy with both. If I could only buy one again it would be the NF so it really comes down to your budget. Personally, I’d get the Vortex and use the savings to attend a high quality precision rifle course.

I have both scopes in question. If money is no object then I would recommend the Nightforce ATACR 7x35. If there are budget constraints then a used Razor Gen 2 will get the job done.

Nightforce makes a great scope, let that be clear. It's also what the cool kids use.

The Nightforce is not $2k better, not even close.

The lack of locking turrets, tunneling on the 5-25x, and retarded entire ocular rotating when adjusting magnification is enough for me to spend my money elsewhere. The glass is great, but so is the Razor.

Flame me.

What a JOKE. Pretty much every optic manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty, the reason you don't hear about Nightforce's customer service is because people don't need to use it.

Bullshit. Used NF warranty several times.

Also, they don’t cover incidental or accidental damage.

The reason you don’t hear about it is they don’t advertise it or replace optics for things that vortex covers. Also, vortex outsells every optic manufacturer on the market except possibly leupold hunting optics. They also sell cheaper scope lines where NF doesn’t sell optics in the 500-1500 price range for precision rifles.

More optics on the market = more warrant claims. Math is hard.

You’re an idiot (I don’t even run vortex currently).

Remember most of you targets at PRS matches are between 300-800 yards, you don't need a high magnification optic and at that range with the magnification to 10-14 it will be difficult to see much if any difference. I say save the money and hit up a training class.

The reason you don’t hear about it is they don’t advertise it or replace optics for things that vortex covers. Also, vortex outsells every optic manufacturer on the market except possibly leupold hunting optics. They also sell cheaper scope lines where NF doesn’t sell optics in the 500-1500 price range for precision rifles.

Well said.

What a JOKE. Pretty much every optic manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty, the reason you don't hear about Nightforce's customer service is because people don't need to use it.

You know, I've always thought the very same thing each time I hear people rave about Vortex's warranty service.

Great another keyboard warrior resorting to name calling on an otherwise anonymous online forum. You BAD brah

According to Cal's most recent "what the pros use" for scopes I think it was the 7-35 mil-c that was used the most by top finishers, however obviously both work. The Vortex razor is very popular and offers many great features for the $, arguably the best value on the market. Is the ATACR worth more, you'll hear hundreds of different answers. I'd recommend focusing on features you find important and a reticle. Both offer different reticle options except the Horus line will be offered by both. If you have NF currently, which model and what are your thoughts on it?

If you're worried about the PRS role destroying the optic then maybe go Vortex for peace of mind, however both optics are very durable and perform/last well in PRS. Both offer unique features that the other doesn't, but with street prices being roughly $1,000 different from the razor to the 7-35 cost can be a difference. Optically the atacr will be a step up but worth the cost difference really up to you.

I have been using a NF 7-35 (milxt) on my match rifle and have a Vortex Gen2 (ebr2c) on a 223 I shoot a lot. I do slightly prefer the NF - it's a little more clear to me and I like the reticle. But the Vortex has been a tank and always tracked well. I'd say save the money and get the Vortex.

I've had an NF 5-25 and the 7-35. Loved everything about them except the whole ocular turning. Ended up selling the 7-35 to buy 2 Gen2's. I've had every big name out there except TT and all of them will get the job done. I went back to Vortex mainly because they finally gave me the .2 wind holds that I like and the fact that they will take care of me no matter what happens.

Reactions: alsation
Great another keyboard warrior resorting to name calling on an otherwise anonymous online forum. You BAD brah

Your post was reported and seeing as you are new here is your only warning. Don't come in and attack another member by doing what you said he just did. You opened the can of worms and it was answered. Cause anymore issues and you will be banned.

I simply responded to a personal attack. Ill be sure to report his derogatory post as well so he can be scolded.

I had 2 vortex razor 1-6 fail in cold weather on an AR. Not abusing them or -100 degrees either. 32* and had complete failures to where they sent me brand new optics. There warranty department really was good in that aspect

Went with NF for bolt/ precision and didn’t bother with even trying anything else

Take my limited experience for whatever it’s worth lol

Reactions: hseII and Friday
I own an AMG and Schmidt for quite some time now and I can barely tell the difference in glass quality. With the vortex, I feel like I can throw the gun around more since they warranty against anything. People may want to hate on the Vortex, but Vortex pushed the market into what we have today in terms of warranty and better pricing.

I'm on my 2nd NF scope. I have never had to use the warranty, thankfully, and I have abused the scopes I have. I am not sure if the warranty from Vortex stops people from giving a second thought on damaging their scope knowing it is backed up no matter what happens. I personally prefer my NF and got it for a great price new.

Which one is right? If you have the chance get behind both of them and play with them on a rifle and shoot them if possible. Don't go into a store and look through them and compare. Doesn't do justice for either of them. If you can't do that then just get the one that has the most features that are must haves and go that route. Don't look back and shoot with it. After I bought my ATACR I never looked at any other scopes and I'm very satisfied.

I've had both. I'll take the NF all day due to the reticle. .2 on elevation from now on or I'm not touching it.

I don't care for the Horus reticles due to the mover holds in my way, but I love the MR4, Gen3XR and, my favorite thus far, the Mil-XT.

Had multiple Vortex units, none of which withstood the day to day abuse all broke all were covered under warranty and all were sold for purchase of more durable NF. Just my 2 cents

Had multiple Vortex units, none of which withstood the day to day abuse all broke all were covered under warranty and all were sold for purchase of more durable NF. Just my 2 cents

Sorry calling BS if you are speaking of the Razor II as this post is speaking about.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
My spotting scope was indeed a Razor, but the gen 1 and gen 2 pst we’re not good scopes, I know a lot of people that swear by the vortex razor and AMG scopes and for those of you that have had them and had great luck by all means recommend them but for me I cannot do no such thing as I have had nothing but issues with vortex, granted there warranty is probably second to none. But in my case NF has been ultimately superior, and so has Athlon I have ran athlons low line and high line optics and had no issues. But for me Nightforce gets my vote! I tried to get into vortex and maybe I should of just jumped straight into a razor but 800-1000 bucks is not necessarily cheap ether I would of expected a little better performance out of the PST than what I got.

Just had problems with every vortex I’ve owned, but I do own the nightforces in the conversation so giving my opinion about like the rest of you haha

Reactions: David Slagle
The problem is it's not an apples to apples as the NF cost the same as the Razors and you are comparing to a much less expensive scope. Your opinion on NF is fine but your experience with Vortex is not with the scope asked about. And yes I have owned 6 NF scopes myself.

The problem is it's not an apples to apples as the NF cost the same as the Razors and you are comparing to a much less expensive scope. Your opinion on NF is fine but your experience with Vortex is not with the scope asked about. And yes I have owned 6 NF scopes myself.
Oh I totally agree I’m just giving my opinion, a nightforce is far more money I feel they could be cheaper, and truth be told I’ve heard to much good about the razor for them to be complete trash, BUT with my vortex track record I would buy one and it would break haha! So I will stay with NF. I guess I wasn’t really thinking when I replied to this I was more giving my opinion of NF vs Vortex in general.

Nightforce makes a 1000$ SHV scope that is more reliable than any Vortex. You dont need to spend $3k to get a better optic than a Vortex. Sounds like a few just dont want to hear it Friday

Nightforce makes a 1000$ SHV scope that is more reliable than any Vortex. You dont need to spend $3k to get a better optic than a Vortex. Sounds like a few just dont want to hear it Friday

Evidence. What you're saying is subjective.

I've owned almost all of the higher end optics. The Razor GenII and the AMG are just as nice and have proven to be just as reliable as the "exotic" scopes. For some reason, because Vortex has the best warranty in the business, bar none....people think that means their scopes break all of the time.

There is a reason it's the most popular in PRS and in regular shooting circles. There are also a metric shit ton of them out in the wild compared to all of the other manufacturers...besides Leupold.

For some reason, because Vortex has the best warranty in the business, bar none....people think that means their scopes break all of the time.
It just not a way of thinking. Its the countless stories heard, first hand experience and knowing people with problems. I live about 25 miles from Vortex, there is plenty of market share in my area to hear a lot about it.

It just not a way of thinking. Its the countless stories heard, first hand experience and knowing people with problems. I live about 25 miles from Vortex, there is plenty of market share in my area to hear a lot about it.

Are you talking about GenII Razors or AMG's? If you are I am interested in hearing what issues these scopes had and how they fixed them.

Thanks.

Reactions: dymailbox

My Vortex strike eagle broke but my 5-25 ATACR F1 didn’t, that’s why I don’t like vortex. ;)

I think the shv has a lot to be desired to complete on the same scale with the razor and AMG, I just personally would rather own a nightforce any day over a vortex I think the ATACR is a better scope than the razor and AMG for sure especially the 7x35 but as this convo states it is much more expensive and some believe it is not worth the extra, and for those that do not have the means the vortex line is (and I cannot believe I’m saying this) the best bang for the buck scope probably, but if you have the means buy the nightforce and trust in me it will never disappoint, back to the SHV short of having a true zero stop and FFP in the higher power models I absolutely love mine and it is light years ahead of the PST imho. And considering I did have a razor spotting scope that took a poo on me I’m sure if I were to buy a razor scope I would have the same result haha I have not had good luck with Vortex, and I’m sure there are people out there that can say the same of any brand of scope.

and thats where opinions vary...ive got the means to own any scopes and have had hands on/used all the top tier ones at some point...last year went back to all gen 2s for the total package they offer cause thats what i prefer after 2 yrs of rotating various optics

I didn't say they never break, I am just saying they Nightforce doesn't need attend major events with a bunch of stock to replace failed optics. People only praise Vortex's "legendary" warranty because sooner or later you will need it.

1565793768331.png