• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Is the ATACR worth the extra money compared to the Vortex Gen 2 for strictly PRS style matches?

The point of my bona fides was that we're talking about set screws dude. I've got plenty of experience. This is why I'm sure you don't understand what moot means and that line flew over your head.

I can agree with your second line, that's why everyone is here so the OP can collect as much information as he can to make a well-informed decision. And agree with your final paragraph No hard feelings to anything here, we're just trading information.

Sometimes reading on phone words are missed. Don't worry I am pretty well educated and know the meaning of moot.

Reactions: sta24
Actually, you stated “no issues” I would say that based on what you’re saying in this thread. You think the set screws backing out is an issue.

1350 isn’t 300 under what it’s worth. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

1300 was the final. But yes to me it’s an issue if they’re coming loose, a part of it. I could have easily replaced the screws if they were out of spec or added a little more loctite to the threads for extra resistance, just how other Vortex users resolved it. The number one reason I sold the scope was because I thought the reticle was garbage (the holo center) and I stated this earlier, that was my fault for purchasing that. Yeah I could have called Vortex to install a TMR3, look at the screws, but that’s more time and money, I didn’t feel like going down that route. Doesn’t mean the scope was broken, or like I said about this earlier that any of them are broken, there just needs to be more tension on the threads, which is why guys are suggesting to lock it down well beyond factory torque specs.

Anyways OP good luck shopping.

I just sold my Gen II razor to purchase an ATACR. I seriously doubt that I will regret it.
Very interesting read though.
I, in my limited experience, think that the NF glass is just a little bit better than the Razor Gen II glass. Like I said, that is my personal opinion and WE ALL KNOW what they say about opinions....

Reactions: Friday
I’ve been very impressed with my 5-25 atacr, the glass is phenomenal. I’ve also been very happy with my 1-6 razor. Both great companies and I don’t think you can really go wrong!

Just wanted to let all the Vortex fanboys know if you call them they will set you up with a wholesale account. You will never pay more than 50% msrp, no minimum limits. Go get em

What needs to be done to do this?

That's brand new if it's happening as Vortex got out of the mil/le etc sales. I highly doubt that post is accurate. Don't get your hopes up.

Wait, what? Are you saying they stopped offering a mil discount or something else?

A friend of mine has had one for years. NOT LE/MIL of any kind, a pencil pusher at a desk job who probably orders 3 pieces a year on average. I'm not doing the leg work for you. If you want it you call them and figure it out. If you don't believe me that is fine, no skin off my back

Reactions: Laskey0104
Wait, what? Are you saying they stopped offering a mil discount or something else?

No they still do le/mil fire etc through places but I will check if they do it direct anymore. I know for a time they stopped direct sales but went through the site that does those sales. They might have started doing the direct sales again for le mil fire etc but never heard of the 50% off sales that he is talking about. The le mil was always 40 % off msrp.

Reactions: tydex21
Ok to set the record straight on Vortex. They do still do some personal LE/Mil/Fire/Vet sales but mostly direct people to ExpertVoice. They still do direct government sales. All those are at 40% off MSRP. They do not have wholesale accounts for individuals giving them 50% off MSRP. They don't even give that amount for FFL dealers.

Reactions: tydex21
I own 3 NF NXS and 1 SHV. I HATE how the entire occular rotates on the NSX's. It is the stupidest thing ever. I also own a few Swarovski scopes and I LOVE them. I don't own any Vortex gear at all because I have never felt like supporting the Chinese was a good thing. We try our damndest to not buy anything made in China.

• Haha
Reactions: Geno C. and Rob01
I'll echo comments that were made on the first page. I have been very happy with my Vortex scopes and I think your best option would be buying a used Gen 2 and running it. As you go to matches you will have lots of opportunities to look through other high end scopes then you can make the decision if you want to move up to the ATACR or something else. You won't take much of a hit selling your used Razor and then can put that money into something else. Right now put the extra money your saving between RAzor and ATACR to training or ammo to become a better shooter. Props to you for considering a Razor or ATACR in the first place a lot of guys I have helped get into shooting won't even consider spending over $1000 on scopes. I haven't owned an ATACR but have several close friends that do and they are awesome scopes and I will own one some day but right now I just can't justify the extra money for one.

You just saved a few bucks:

I just about fell outta my chair when I saw how heavy that vortex is lol defenitly want that chunker on a bench gun.

I just about fell outta my chair when I saw how heavy that vortex is lol defenitly want that chunker on a bench gun.

People have been saying that since they came out but they are not bench scopes and highly used in PRS matches. Lots of positional shooting. The Razor II is only about 10 ounces heavier than the ATACR and when you see people building 18+ pound rifles and adding weight to them to get them heavier the 10 ounces is nothing.

Reactions: ThePretzel and RTV
People have been saying that since they came out but they are not bench scopes and highly used in PRS matches. Lots of positional shooting. The Razor II is only about 10 ounces heavier than the ATACR and when you see people building 18+ pound rifles and adding weight to them to get them heavier the 10 ounces is nothing.
18 pound guns, Do they make them that heavy intentionally to help with recoil or does it just happen naturally?

18 pounds is Light. There are guys with 25-30 pound rifles. They like them for stability and recoil reduction. My match rifles with the Razor IIs on top run around 15.5-17 pounds.

18 pound guns, Do they make them that heavy intentionally to help with recoil or does it just happen naturally?

The majority are between 18-21 pounds, and it's a function of weight balance, recoil reduction, and shrinking your holds to hit the small targets the MD's are putting out there. I find greatly diminished returns over 20 pounds myself. As long as it balances well and you have a good brake and scope, you don't really "buy" any extra points by slapping weights on it.

Precision-Rifle-Weight.png

I'm obviously biased. I"ve shot both scopes The Gen II for 3 years and the ATACR 7-35 for the last 5. What is a mid match zero shift worth? I can tell you $250 match fee, $600 plane flight, $287 for the hotel and you can double that because you will have to shoot another match when your score sucks. I haven't had to chase my scope in 5 years. What is that worth?

I've had an NF 5-25 and the 7-35. Loved everything about them except the whole ocular turning. Ended up selling the 7-35 to buy 2 Gen2's. I've had every big name out there except TT and all of them will get the job done. I went back to Vortex mainly because they finally gave me the .2 wind holds that I like and the fact that they will take care of me no matter what happens.

What is ocular turning?

I'm obviously biased. I"ve shot both scopes The Gen II for 3 years and the ATACR 7-35 for the last 5. What is a mid match zero shift worth? I can tell you $250 match fee, $600 plane flight, $287 for the hotel and you can double that because you will have to shoot another match when your score sucks. I haven't had to chase my scope in 5 years. What is that worth?

You’ve been using an ATACR 7-35 for five years?

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Just picked up an Atacr F1 5-25x56 from Eurooptic used. Immediately turned off by customer service and the scope condition. This thing was Heavily used ( was told it was a return) so much that numbers on the turrets were worn. Mounted it up today and took it out to test for function and see whether or not I would return for another Gen 2 Razor. The glass is clearer. The rotating ocular is weird AF. Form the little tracking test it seemed on. Paralax may be a bit off from the dial numbers.

Overall taking it out again tomorrow with my other rifle that has the Ebr 7 to compare side by side. Right now leaning towards a $400 refund and a 2nd Razor.

Details....paid $2520 with tax for this. Not too happy about being lied to about condition and told return it or suck it basically.

Attachments

• 20200923_110438.jpg
    20200923_110438.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200923_110445.jpg
    20200923_110445.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200923_110458.jpg
    20200923_110458.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200923_110508.jpg
    20200923_110508.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200923_110515.jpg
    20200923_110515.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200923_110527.jpg
    20200923_110527.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 127
sorry but have looked through a lot of vortexs, coke bottle is clearer IMHO. Go buy a NX8 but if you can get the ATACR

Just picked up an Atacr F1 5-25x56 from Eurooptic used. Immediately turned off by customer service and the scope condition. This thing was Heavily used ( was told it was a return) so much that numbers on the turrets were worn. Mounted it up today and took it out to test for function and see whether or not I would return for another Gen 2 Razor. The glass is clearer. The rotating ocular is weird AF. Form the little tracking test it seemed on. Paralax may be a bit off from the dial numbers.

Overall taking it out again tomorrow with my other rifle that has the Ebr 7 to compare side by side. Right now leaning towards a $400 refund and a 2nd Razor.

Details....paid $2520 with tax for this. Not too happy about being lied to about condition and told return it or suck it basically.
To be fair, they did say it was a used return.

Ignore the parallax numbers, just like you would on any optic. If you’re worried about the internal integrity, or want a new turret, hit up NF. Their customer service team is one of the best groups out there and they’ll get you taken care of. The rotating ocular housing takes getting used to but it’s fast and easy to manipulate in any condition. If I’m being fair, I absolutely hated the rotating ocular at first but only because I never used an optic that did that before. Now it’s not even a thought.

I already did. Nightforce customer service is awesome. Dillon hooked it up and even offered to have me send it un for a fully warranty checkup. With hunting season starting he said it would be about 6 weeks.

Gonna go shoot it again today, and just do a side by side with the Razor.

Sold a Steiner T5xi 5-25x56 to get the Atacr. Its going on the Impact .308 with the copperhead stock. My 6.5 Impact with the Razor is in the background.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-084256_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-084256_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200722_133813.jpg
    20200722_133813.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Atacr is 100% solid! Glass 2nd to none
customer service is Awesome
You would think a returned scope would be like new not one that was possibly used for a year for PRS

Shot a Gen 2 razor on my match rifle for several years. Love the 2C reticle. Never had any issues. Did have to send it back once but only because I stripped the turret screw. Had it fixed and back to me in under a weak no questions asked. Sold it last November and bought the 7-35 ATCR. No issues with the razor, it was just on a gun that somebody made me a killer offer on. I’m very happy with the Nightforce as well. I know a few guys that consolidated a lot of their optics when the 7-35 came out and just went to that. I give a slight edge to the 7-35 over the 4.5-27 razor but nothing too ideal. If you can afford the Nightforce then get it. Otherwise get the razor. Both will be a great scope and do everything you need.