• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Enterprises vs. Larue Tactical

jsmythe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN, USA
I am looking to purchase either a Larue Tactical OBR or a JP Enterprises LRP-07 both with 16" barrel and in 308.
I am just wanting to hear some pros and cons of both rifles. i have read nothing but good things about both rifles and companies.
Both are said to be accurate, durable, and reliable. The only thing I can say against the JP enterprises, is that they seem to be designed more towards the competition shooters, rather than operators.
I am a Police Sniper, and this rifle would have to hold up against rigorous trials. I want one for my personal use, but also the rest of my team has talked about having a semi auto sniper system along with our bolt actions rifles. Just trying to get some more info...

Just because more competition shooters use a product doesn't necessarily make it less durable. You'll be essentially building your own rifle to spec with the LRP-07 so it will be mostly what you make of it. IMO competition shooting can be tougher on a rifle sometimes than actual field use also. JP also offers the "we got your back" program which sounds like it would benefit you seeing as it would be your personal rifle as well.

Both rifles are accurate, and reliable. Both have adjustable gas blocks for running suppressed.

JP: side charging handle is dope. like stated above, you can configure the rifle to meet your needs. lastly, the availability of parts in the open market goes to JP. Other than the receivers, you can literally buy everything you need separately from multiple sources. The upper to lower receiver fit is perfect. There's more options in caliber, & handguard choices. Cerakote/Engraving can also be done. A lot of people like JP's low mass bolt carrier groups and choose to use them over GAP (DPMS), for example. Also, the silent captured spring from JP is a necessity.

Larue: RE: PredatOBR, it disassembles completely within a minute. If Larue ever produces other caliber barrels, you can change out the barrel in a minute. Larue rifles hold their value better than JP, if it matters. There's only a limited number of options/configurations with these rifles. The regular OBR upper to lower receiver fit is perfect, but the newer PredatOBR is not - the lines do not match up. Wait time may be longer on this one, although Mark has said recently that he plans to catch up by the end of the year....

The only thing about JP is, they don't have a railed forend so you can hang 27 pounds of crap on the front of your rifle. LaRue has the standard cheese grater front end.

well JP lpr-07 is a competition rifle. i have actually seen dallas swat using larue but it was just a standard a2 model. my gunsmith is also a police sniper. his rifle is a government marked ar with jp trigger and kreiger barrel.

I am looking to purchase either a Larue Tactical OBR or a JP Enterprises LRP-07 both with 16" barrel and in 308.
I am just wanting to hear some pros and cons of both rifles. i have read nothing but good things about both rifles and companies.
Both are said to be accurate, durable, and reliable. The only thing I can say against the JP enterprises, is that they seem to be designed more towards the competition shooters, rather than operators.
I am a Police Sniper, and this rifle would have to hold up against rigorous trials. I want one for my personal use, but also the rest of my team has talked about having a semi auto sniper system along with our bolt actions rifles. Just trying to get some more info...

What happened to the one you had on 1-06-2014 @ 2:47 AM?

"I am looking to get the 7.62 SpecWar suppressor for a good (some say the best) multi-calibre suppressor. I intend to use this both for my Larue 7.62 OBR, several .223 AR15s, and my Remington 700 .308 bolt action rifle. I know that they offer both a muzzle brake and flash hider for the suppressor mount. My question: Does anyone know which would be better suited for a bolt action precision rifle"

The only thing about JP is, they don't have a railed forend so you can hang 27 pounds of crap on the front of your rifle. LaRue has the standard cheese grater front end.

JP's tactical handguard is threaded all up and down it to accept accessory rails should that be your hearts desire.
Pat

Both rifles are accurate, and reliable. Both have adjustable gas blocks for running suppressed.

JP: side charging handle is dope. like stated above, you can configure the rifle to meet your needs. lastly, the availability of parts in the open market goes to JP. Other than the receivers, you can literally buy everything you need separately from multiple sources. The upper to lower receiver fit is perfect. There's more options in caliber, & handguard choices. Cerakote/Engraving can also be done. A lot of people like JP's low mass bolt carrier groups and choose to use them over GAP (DPMS), for example. Also, the silent captured spring from JP is a necessity.

Larue: RE: PredatOBR, it disassembles completely within a minute. If Larue ever produces other caliber barrels, you can change out the barrel in a minute. Larue rifles hold their value better than JP, if it matters. There's only a limited number of options/configurations with these rifles. The regular OBR upper to lower receiver fit is perfect, but the newer PredatOBR is not - the lines do not match up. Wait time may be longer on this one, although Mark has said recently that he plans to catch up by the end of the year....

Who in the hell told you that Larue holds its value better than JP? That is false. JP's hold their value very well and are very popular for a reason. I would take a JP over a Larue any day of the week and I have owned both. At the end of the day I would much rather buy from an honorable man like John Paul than someone like Mark Larue.
Pat

Reactions: Codeine
I can't understand why there is so much LaRue bashing on this site. I ordered a 556 OBR last December. Dan at LT couldn't have been more helpful to me. He spent a lot of time answering all of my stupid newbie questions. It's why I ordered a LaRue. Another custom builder I spoke with barely gave me the time of day. It was like they were doing me a favor picking up the phone. When I ordered my OBR, I was told it would be 12 months to get the rifle. I received it last week. Current lead time at LT is 4 months. I like JP rifles also, but I haven't shot one yet. LT's look a little more traditional to me, while the JP guns look more modern and racy. Both are great. They are like comparing BMW and Mercedes. Play with both and see which one you like the best. I don't think the OP can go wrong with either, but enough with all the LT bashing. OP should also look at a GAP-10. My GAP-10 shoots .5-.75MOA all day long with quality factory match ammo.

Who in the hell told you that Larue holds its value better than JP? That is false. JP's hold their value very well and are very popular for a reason. I would take a JP over a Larue any day of the week and I have owned both. At the end of the day I would much rather buy from an honorable man like John Paul than someone like Mark Larue.
Pat

Pat, are you kidding? Try finding a Larue rifle at MSRP for sale longer than a week, don't worry I'll wait...

Fact is, Larue rifles bring a premium not b/c their better than JP, but b/c of their wait times. I'm not bashing at either. I've had a LRP in the past, it was wonderful. I now have the PredatOBR b/c of the breakdown capabilities.

In sum, yes I'll say it again, Larue holds their value better. Just look at the past sales on the marketplace, here on the Hide. None of the JP rifles sold anywhere near retail new or used. On the other hand, there's countless examples where Larue OBR rifles new or used have sold at or near MSRP.

Jose

540dc8c9887669360bedadc24bbbbf7f.jpg

e66e5ad9438ec8c76ec0e0c9a46dd193.jpg

Sold my obr for the jp, couldn't be happier. The obr just looks like a "tactical" rifle, but once you hold a jp you will see that looks can be deceiving. My jp is solid, it's lighter but feels a little better put together. No play in the receivers, and functions nicely with very little felt recoil because of the bolt and gas reg. Just open up the gas reg a full turn after you figure out what ammo you are going to shoot.

I've got many trips overseas and it bothers me when people say "this gun is more reliable than that because of what it was built for." I had extracting issues with the obr, had to send it back. If I have extracting issues with the jp, I open the reg. I bet you will never put the jp in a scenario where it will fail because it's not advertised as a tactical overseas "battle rifle."

Dustin at jp answered all my questions and even called me to verify my order. Didn't get that with larue. Look at jps "we got your back" program.

The point of the two pics is to show you, they both can do the job, I think the jp just feels nicer when it is doing it's job though.

Dustin at JP is awesome. I called them and he answered, and spent a lot of time with me helping me figure out some load data. I have Larue mounts, but most of them are on my JP rifles. :)
Ps, don't get Pat fired up, he'll probably start talking about Colts, and then I'll have to go throw up and it will just ruin my afternoon. I have a little football to watch, and a little wife to watch. No time for pukin today!

Last edited:
Reactions: blakemccall
Pat

Don't know where you are looking but let us all know...would like to add a couple more LTs to my inventory.

OP,

My tOBR is the most accurate SA rifle I own and I own a few. The company always did right by me. Yes, they may not be as accommodating as JP but so what. Never found them remotely rude or difficult to deal with in any way. I would take an LT but you should also look at the KAC models as they have the pedigree for reliability in tough situations.

Again I have owned Larue and they are not bad but their rifles are outclassed by JP in every way. Customer service with JP is far far better. The more I have learned about Mark Larue the less I want to support him by buying his products. But that is another topic.
Pat
Don't know where you are looking but let us all know...would like to add a couple more LTs to my inventory.

OP,

My tOBR is the most accurate SA rifle I own and I own a few. The company always did right by me. Yes, they may not be as accommodating as JP but so what. Never found them remotely rude or difficult to deal with in any way. I would take an LT but you should also look at the KAC models as they have the pedigree for reliability in tough situations.

Again I have owned Larue and they are not bad but their rifles are outclassed by JP in every way. Customer service with JP is far far better. The more I have learned about Mark Larue the less I want to support him by buying his products. But that is another topic.
Pat

You are obviously entitled to your opinion...good luck to you

As are you. Seems like most opinions on this thread are in support of jp over larue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As are you. Seems like most opinions on this thread are in support of jp over larue.

Well by that reasoning, shit must taste awesome. A billion flies can't be wrong....can they

That's all I have to say so don't bother

Well by that reasoning, shit must taste awesome. A billion flies can't be wrong....can they

That's all I have to say so don't bother

Again most people who have owned both seem to prefer JP like myself.
Pat

There, I fixed it for ya. :p

I prefer JP rifles
Pat

On another note,

WTF are you talking about? Where are you getting your stats from? Sample size?

The only clear advantages JP has over Larue are the side charging options, and 6.5CM/260 options, that's it!

Who the fuck cares how JP or Mark Larue act, as long as they back their company. Stop talking about fit and finish, they're the same/similar. If the JP shoots smoother its b/c of silent captured spring. They both make excellent products. Your comparing brands like Toyota vs Honda.

On another note,

The only clear advantages JP has over Larue are the side charging options, and 6.5CM/260 options, that's it!

Who the fuck cares how JP or Mark Larue act, as long as they back their company. Stop talking about fit and finish, they're the same/similar. If the JP shoots smoother its b/c of silent captured spring. They both make excellent products. Your comparing brands like Toyota vs Honda.

Sensitive... The JP's shoot smoother, with or without the SCS. The SCS just makes it much better. The rest of the details I will leave to you to argue. ;)

Last edited:

On another note,

In addition to shooting smoother and more accurate you have a lot more options when you decide to build your rifle. Sorry but Larue is lacking compared to JP. I am no longer drinking Larue Kool Aid like I used to.

Sensitive... The JP's shoot smoother, with or without the SCS. The SCS just makes it much better. The rest of the details I will leave to you to argue. ;)

Nope, I'm just trying to note the differences. My current PredatOBR is just as accurate as my AXMC. I've owned an LRP and an OBR, I now have a PredatOBR. They both had their differences, but its unfair to say one is more accurate than the other. The LRP I had in the past shot better than the OBR, but my current PredatOBR, I'm getting "better" groups-who know's why? Maybe b/c I've had more experience since then? Or maybe it's more accurate than the LRP I had? But, I have not said one is better than other, look at my past comments. With AR's, there's good and bad days, in addition to other numerous playing factors.

In addition to shooting smoother and more accurate you have a lot more options when you decide to build your rifle. Sorry but Larue is lacking compared to JP. I am no longer drinking Larue Kool Aid like I used to.

Again, a couple of your arguments are wrong. There's three Larue 7.62 rifle configurations (e.g. PredatAR, PredatOBR, & OBR), what else do you want? The only advantage JP has is 6.5/260 calibers. Both Larue and JP offer different handguards, barrel profiles, muzzle options, and stock configurations.

In regards to accuracy, see above. But, in sum, there's no way and determining which rifle is "more" accurate than the other.

In the end, we may have our differences in opinion, and that's fine. Whatever works for you, roll with it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5537.JPG
    IMG_5537.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
With JP's rifle builder you can have a 16,18, 20 or 22 inch barrel with light or medium contour. You can get different forends, gas block etc. You have far more options than Laure's 3 cookie cutter platforms. Larue was having enough problems with accuracy they are now sending a beater barrel with their guns until they get their in house barrels up to snuff.
Pat

Nope, I'm just trying to note the differences. My current PredatOBR is just as accurate as my AXMC. I've owned an LRP and an OBR, I now have a PredatOBR. They both had their differences, but its unfair to say one is more accurate than the other. The LRP I had in the past shot better than the OBR, but my current PredatOBR, I'm getting "better" groups-who know's why? Maybe b/c I've had more experience since then? Or maybe it's more accurate than the LRP I had? But, I have not said one is better than other, look at my past comments. With AR's, there's good and bad days, in addition to other numerous playing factors.

Again, a couple of your arguments are wrong. There's three Larue 7.62 rifle configurations (e.g. PredatAR, PredatOBR, & OBR), what else do you want? The only advantage JP has is 6.5/260 calibers. Both Larue and JP offer different handguards, barrel profiles, muzzle options, and stock configurations.

In regards to accuracy, see above. But, in sum, there's no way and determining which rifle is "more" accurate than the other.

In the end, we may have our differences in opinion, and that's fine. Whatever works for you, roll with it. :)

With JP's rifle builder you can have a 16,18, 20 or 22 inch barrel with light or medium contour. You can get different forends, gas block etc. You have far more options than Laure's 3 cookie cutter platforms. Larue was having enough problems with accuracy they are now sending a beater barrel with their guns until they get their in house barrels up to snuff.
Pat

Bad info here. Every barrel LaRue is now sending out the door is first quality Match grade made in house.

Pat

Larue has not been doing the field grade barrel now for awhile. They are shipping out with the final barrels from what has been posted on other sites. They send each rifle with the accuracy test they performed in house to check QC and frequently post them up to show everyone the level of accuracy they are capable of. There is no denying they are very accurate.

Maybe JP does have a few more options than Larue after all they are two different companies with two different lines of products and they don't both need to sell exactly the same things to reach the clients they are after.

I do love how you downplay the options Larue has to "3 cookie cutter platforms" when in the previous sentence you are trying to create a pro for JP by listing they offer different length barrels. Well Larue offers different length barrels for each one of those 3 platforms meaning you can configure them how you would like. Also its an AR so you can have them put any buttstock they sell on at the factory or change it out when you get it in hand.

I feel so restricted by their 3 options....

It's obvious you dislike the company and are trying to downplay the quality of their product. We all get it and hear you loud and clear. Thank you again for posting your opinions over and over again in this thread.

If I was looking for a biased opinion you would be the first person I would ask....

Larue has not been doing the field grade barrel now for awhile. They are shipping out with the final barrels from what has been posted on other sites. They send each rifle with the accuracy test they performed in house to check QC and frequently post them up to show everyone the level of accuracy they are capable of. There is no denying they are very accurate.

Maybe JP does have a few more options than Larue after all they are two different companies with two different lines of products and they don't both need to sell exactly the same things to reach the clients they are after.

I do love how you downplay the options Larue has to "3 cookie cutter platforms" when in the previous sentence you are trying to create a pro for JP by listing they offer different length barrels. Well Larue offers different length barrels for each one of those 3 platforms meaning you can configure them how you would like. Also its an AR so you can have them put any buttstock they sell on at the factory or change it out when you get it in hand.

I feel so restricted by their 3 options....

It's obvious you dislike the company and are trying to downplay the quality of their product. We all get it and hear you loud and clear. Thank you again for posting your opinions over and over again in this thread.

If I was looking for a biased opinion you would be the first person I would ask....

I am biased based on my own experience we all are.
Pat

What does LaRue do better than JP? They build a solid "battle" rifle, but that's it. Their rifles don't do anything better than any other quality battle rifle.

JP is arguably the most innovative and copied company in the AR industry. For example, they've been doing low mass bolt carriers, lightweight buffers, and adjustable gas blocks longer than anybody. Other examples of their innovation is their side charging uppers, barrel heat sinks, triggers, silent capture spring system, etc.

When I bought my Larue OBR 7.62 I had no idea the level of animosity against Larue.

What I did find is that it is the easiest to shoot AR rifle I've ever owned... And Ive owned a lot.

Sub 1/2 Moa groups with factory match and it's hard not to get good groups.

I was simply amazed at how easy it was to shoot it well... Which is not something I can say about most ARs.

The JP is a good rifle. I use a 16inch LRP as my LE sniper rifle. I've shot an earlier OBR and it was a good rifle. I picked JP based on weight ant wait time.

As somebody who uses a LRP (1600 rounds in 11 months) I don't like the side charger for manipulations vs a standard set up it makes clearing double feeds harder for me(and I've had a few).

The low mass operating system runs slick but the wear on my locking lugs and ejector marks on my brass suggest it may unlock a bit soon. I also get a brass pile at 2o'clock despite the gas being turned down as low as I can go reliably. I'm going to test a heavier buffer.

Being "innovative" is not a selling point to me. I want the boring, reliable housewife that gets the job done not the 19year old redhead.

I sound like I am poo pooing the JP, I'm not. As a police sniper, give me 2/3 of a face and I'll use my JP to send one past my own kid.

JP Enterprises vs. Larue Tactical

Another thing about jp is the we got your back Leo the purchase program. If a cop has to use his rifle they will replace it free until the case is settled. Larue on the other hand has dropped their Leo discount and stopped selling to Leo's in many areas.

Last edited:
This will mess everyone up.

I have owned a KAC EMC
Jp lrp-07, and scr-11.
I have replaced them all with Larue's.

I will be not be replacing them with anything else.

Maybe JP does have a few more options than Larue after all they are two different companies with two different lines of products and they don't both need to sell exactly the same things to reach the clients they are after.....

[/thread]

They feel the leo's in ban states are no better than the citizens they swroe to protect. If the citizenahip can not buy a Larue rifle, the LEO's shouldnt be able to either.

I firmly support them on this.

Thanks!

[MENTION=2853]355sigfan[/MENTION] 's post could be interpreted to imply differently (especially when directly comparing JP's policy), hence my question. I guess going down the rabbit hole of the publicly stated motivations of either company could delve into the realm of politics. That's a fine line: politics aren't allowed here at the 'Hide, yet the stated policies of a company can/might sway someone towards/away from a company. Quite the fine line indeed.

Another thing about jp is the we got your back Leo the purchase program. If a cop has to use his rifle they will replace it free until the case is settled. Larue on the other hand has dropped their Leo discount and stopped selling to Leo's in many areas.

This is the entirety of the post to which I was referring.

They feel the leo's in ban states are no better than the citizens they swroe to protect. If the citizenahip can not buy a Larue rifle, the LEO's shouldnt be able to either.

I do too.

Barrett did the same thing when CA banned private ownership of .50 cal rifles. They actually did one better, they refused to repair them.

What does LaRue do better than JP? They build a solid "battle" rifle, but that's it. Their rifles don't do anything better than any other quality battle rifle.

JP is arguably the most innovative and copied company in the AR industry. For example, they've been doing low mass bolt carriers, lightweight buffers, and adjustable gas blocks longer than anybody. Other examples of their innovation is their side charging uppers, barrel heat sinks, triggers, silent capture spring system, etc.

No one said the Larue is better, just as good :p

You got it wrong, the SCAR 17 is a battle rifle holding 1 moa across the line. On the other hand, I'm doing half of that with my PredatOBR, so If your calling Larue rifles battle rifles, it's interesting how a battle rifle is just as accurate as an LRP-07....

Similarly, the same can be said about Larue-being innovative. The PredatOBR can dis-assembled within a minute. Try doing that with the LRP, don't worry, I'll wait...
Larue has adjustable gas blocks and their own stocks. If I was looking for a single stage trigger, yes, I would opt for JP. However, I would rather take a Geissele. Regarding JP's barrel heat sinks, I wonder if they work...

7.62 PredatOBR Assembly and Disassembly - YouTube

What good is the disassembly feature if you can't get a barrel in anything other than .308? I'll wait...........

And LaRue's stock looks like an abortion.

What are you talking about? My 6.5CM barrel should be arriving within two weeks. I cannabilized my field barrels, barrel extension and had am having a Bartlein barrel done...

Moreover, most on here are shooting under 300m most of the time, not much indifference between 308 and 6.5/260....

:p

I don't support any company that has policy's that puts my fellow Leo's lives in danger no matter what political climate they live in. Jp on the other hand goes the extra mile for Leo's and citizens. Great company.