• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC M110 SASS clone build ?s

Kahuna

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
NJ, USA
Hey guys,

I'm planning to convert an older KAC SR25 into a clone KAC M110 SASS build (as much as I can). Some stuff I appreciate can't be changed, like the fact that the SASS upper has an integral brass deflector and the SR25 doesn't, different lower markings, etc. But I have managed to source most of the proper M110 SASS parts (stock, URX rail, etc), so I'm in the ballpark. I just need a few small parts, some gunsmith work, and their FDE-ish finish.

Anyone know who makes the Dark-Earth-ish color finish (Duracoat, Ceracote, KG cote, Alumahyde, etc?) that is applied to the SASS rifles, and what exact color it is? I thought the SASS receiver and rails were anodized at first, but I've been told that it is definitely painted/coated.

I'm also curious to learn what the issue sling is (TIS, Turner?), if there is one?

Any other advice on the M110 SWS, or general build advice, is greatly appreciated--this is my first .308 AR. Thanks in advance guys!

Kahuna

Re: KAC M110 SASS clone build ?s

I just durcoated 2 of these for someone and we decided on Magpul Flat Dark Earth. I got the Duracoat from Lauer's Weaponry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkifer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just durcoated 2 of these for someone and we decided on Magpul Flat Dark Earth. I got the Duracoat from Lauer's Weaponry. </div></div>

any pics man? i am really looking at this color for a base on my spr

Yeah, it would be great if you could post a pic or two. How close is it to the issue SASS color?

K

The coat that KAC uses is like a Cerakote or KG. Its a ceramic type coat. After talking to one of the KAC guys at SHOT my understanding is it's not a normal "on the market" iteam. It is a nice finish though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nl12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunkote is what KAC uses. </div></div>

Is it? Im not suprised if it is. Im just going by what the guy at KAC was telling me. He was playing it off like it was some uber unobtainable finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StaffyBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nl12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunkote is what KAC uses. </div></div>

Is it? Im not suprised if it is. Im just going by what the guy at KAC was telling me. <span style="color: #FF0000">He was playing it off like it was some uber unobtainable finish.</span> </div></div>
and this surprises you?

the very limited experience/knowledge i have of KAC, it appears they would like for everyone to believe their products are made out of this super secret material called "unobtainum"

i promise, if KAC can get it...so can you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rebelceb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StaffyBull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nl12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunkote is what KAC uses. </div></div>

Is it? Im not suprised if it is. Im just going by what the guy at KAC was telling me. <span style="color: #FF0000">He was playing it off like it was some uber unobtainable finish.</span> </div></div>
<span style="color: #FF9900">and this surprises you?</span>

the very limited experience/knowledge i have of KAC, it appears they would like for everyone to believe their products are made out of this super secret material called "unobtainum"

i promise, if KAC can get it...so can you! </div></div>

Not all that much it's KAC.