• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite - Accuracy1st menu

madpat

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2017
Kestrel release new firmware 1.35 and there is a new option - Accuracy 1st menu. 5700 Elite model only.

How to launch it:
- Turn on the device
- Press options/exit button
- Go to System and set on Accuracy 1st
- Next go to ballistics solver and press Tgt
- You will see A1st Quik Set and press Go
- Go to Accurcacy 1st menu it's under Target Card and then we can calculate something..

A1st Quik Set - Automatically sets DoF, Ideg and Latitude to 0, Locks Environmentals, Turns Off Spin Drift and sets WD to 3:00, WS1 to 0mph and WS2 to 4mph. (Only shown when Accuracy 1st features are turned On in Settings menu.)

Does anyone know what Accuracy1st menu calculate and how use it and for what?

Last edited:
The new menu items support the Accuracy 1st long range shooting methodology developed by Todd Hodnett. Here is a link https://www.accuracy1st.com/training/

If you are not familiar with the methodology I would not turn it on as it will make changes to your Kestrel in the areas of DOF, Angle, Wind, Latitude, Spin Drift and Range Card.

Here are some videos by Accuracy 1st regarding these additions. I expect more videos to be done by Todd at the Shot Show.

Reactions: dghboy315
Ran the update, viewed the tutorials (and followed directions), and the A1st are all “N/A” and calc’s don’t run. I probably missed something somewhere along the way I guess?

Reactions: kantsir
Ran the update, viewed the tutorials (and followed directions), and the A1st are all “N/A” and calc’s don’t run. I probably missed something somewhere along the way I guess?
Atmospherics have to be in lock(not live)

Atmospherics have to be in lock(not live)
My environment was locked. As a habit of practice, I have it locked all the time. Show up at the range, unlock, spin meter, re-lock.

I turned A1st on in system, then ran the "quickwind" or whatever they call it in the target page (I'm away from my Kestrel so this is from memory). Then I open the A1st page and all items read "N/A". I tried to calc a few items with no luck.

I haven't spent much time digging into it, and honestly I probably won't use the A1st, but was curious what the readouts would be compared to my real world dope. Like I said, I must've missed something.

My environment was locked. As a habit of practice, I have it locked all the time. Show up at the range, unlock, spin meter, re-lock.

I turned A1st on in system, then ran the "quickwind" or whatever they call it in the target page (I'm away from my Kestrel so this is from memory). Then I open the A1st page and all items read "N/A". I tried to calc a few items with no luck.

I haven't spent much time digging into it, and honestly I probably won't use the A1st, but was curious what the readouts would be compared to my real world dope. Like I said, I must've missed something.

go to target and run the acc 1t go button first. after you see `succes`you can now caculate all the acc 1st stuff.

Reactions: Secant
go to target and run the acc 1t go button first. after you see `succes`you can now caculate all the acc 1st stuff.
Yeah I spent a minute with it last night: Turned A1 on in settings, ran Quick wind in Target, and then the "calc's" worked in the A1 page. I swear that is the exact same process I did twice before with no results, but I'm sure it was my error previously....two small kids running around and I probably double selected or something dumb.

For me, I don't see the A1 page as much of a benefit and ended up turning it off and resetting the A1 overrides. When my "long range" spot opens back up in the spring I might give the A1 a harder look.

Thanks for the response though.

Reactions: Plug-Ugly

It only works when units are set to MILS

It only works when units are set to MILS
Thanks. Now I'm wondering if that was my error. I have scopes in mils & scopes in MOA :eek:, haha. I could've been on a profile that was set in MOA the first go-round when I received the "N/A" readout, and then was one a profile in mils when everything calc'd ?‍♂️

Regardless, I'm squared away now. Might look harder at A1 in the spring, but it's off for now. Thanks for the response.

Yeah, it seems like it turns off some of the over emphasized parameters that Frank and others have commented on. Coriolis, spin drift, aero dynamic jump.

I use the Leica 2800.com lrf which sends dof and angle to the kestrel, need to test how this will interact.

What is the point with these settings? coreolis, drift etc may be unimportant, but calculating them certainly will not hurt?

What is the point with these settings? coreolis, drift etc may be unimportant, but calculating them certainly will not hurt?
The Accuracy 1st menu was implemented to support the training methodology used by military and civilians who attend training classes at Accuracy 1st. Use of the menus without that training could be counter productive. As stated before, If you turn the menu on, your Kestrel will have changes in DOF, Angle, wind, Latitude, spin drift and range card. If you turn the menu off, you will need to manually reset those items, they do not return to the previous state.

If you search on here there are various threads where @lowlight and others goe into detail on how the kestrel AB sw over emphasizes Coriolis, spin drift, and AD jump. Fold manually turned these off and adjusted dof to mitigate their impact in the range we shoot.

Can’t find the threads. Seems strange how these factors are overemphasized as this is physics, the software is made by Litz, and is the solutions are verified with doppler radar testing at various ranges?

The Accuracy 1st menu was implemented to support the training methodology used by military and civilians who attend training classes at Accuracy 1st. Use of the menus without that training could be counter productive. As stated before, If you turn the menu on, your Kestrel will have changes in DOF, Angle, wind, Latitude, spin drift and range card. If you turn the menu off, you will need to manually reset those items, they do not return to the previous state.

How do I reset the values after I played around with the Accuracy 1st menu? Or should I just do a factory reset?

Sorry for my ignorance about this. Just saw accuracy first videos on the quick set. Interesting stuff! I understand switching off drift/coreolis etc is not the imporant part of it all. I especially like the powder temp adjustments.

Once you turn on the Accuracy1st settings, it won't make a ballistic correction.. it connects via Bluetooth to the nearest non kestrel ballistic solver, steals the correction and gives it to you and tells you that it invented corrections, has patents pending and is the best in Texas at giving corrections.