• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

I have talked to one user who thinks turning lock on caused the problem, but I cannot confirm. Any input on that?

I’ll check that. I have lock “on.”

What is the difference between lock on and off? I’m still researching everything on the kestrel end.

For my 280p.com the key was to make sure brother device turned off, or went out of range. Had to change the time out settings on my kestrel, soon the env, lock it, then keep it with me and the Leica.

I kept mine working together for hours this way, I would never trust it in a field match on the clock.

That’s disappointing. I don’t need it on the clock often.

But the whole point was to just keep my kestrel on my belt, hit the button, and get all the data I need right there.

Reactions: seansmd
I’ll check that. I have lock “on.”

What is the difference between lock on and off? I’m still researching everything on the kestrel end.
[/QUOTE
Lock on locks the Leica and Kestrel so no other device can "cut in " and take over the connection. Can you check and see if Lock Off returns the holds to the Leica?

Reactions: Dthomas3523

I’ll check. It will randomly cut out.

Tomorrow I’ll mess with it until the malfunction happens and see what it does when swapping that function.

I’ll check. It will randomly cut out.

Tomorrow I’ll mess with it until the malfunction happens and see what it does when swapping that function.
I never had lock on in the Bluetooth menu I had locked the environmental, and set the power timeout to a larger number

For those with Leica connection issues are you on Kestrel fw 1.37 or higher? There were some changes from 1.36 that were focused on connectivity.

I’ll check. But I updated yesterday after having issues. To whatever version my kestrel link sent me.

Seemed to cut down on the frequency, but didn’t stop the problems from eventually happening.

My terrapin x on the other hand works perfectly with kestrel.

I’ll check. But I updated yesterday after having issues. To whatever version my kestrel link sent me.

Seemed to cut down on the frequency, but didn’t stop the problems from eventually happening.

My terrapin x on the other hand works perfectly with kestrel.

I have reached out to Leica as well to provide this feedback. We will look into it.

I would also like to know if kestrel and Leica recommend the Bluetooth be set to lock in the kestrel.

I am reluctant to upgrade my kestrel without confirmation to avoid AB database changes.

And now my terrapin won’t send ranges to kestrel. Says it’s connected.

Have cycled everything on and off. Clicked forget and reconnected.

Both kestrel and terrapins software up to date.

Still nothing. Worked fine yesterday.

And now my terrapin won’t send ranges to kestrel. Says it’s connected.

Have cycled everything on and off. Clicked forget and reconnected.

Both kestrel and terrapins software up to date.

Still nothing. Worked fine yesterday.
Did you turn off bluetooth lock in the kestrel while connected to the Leica?

Did you turn off bluetooth lock in the kestrel while connected to the Leica?

I locked the terrapin.

It eventually started working. Then stopped again.

Might be wind interference. I was holding 2.2 at 933yds at one point. ?

• Wow
I read through the instructions but was not able to find anything on exporting range cards. I build a range card in my 5700 but cannot find a way to export it to my computer for printing. I tried working through the ap but no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

There is no export for range card. You can use your link app with an Elite and set up the Target card in the app and export a spread sheet that you can reformat. Look down on the bottom next to pull targets from Kestrel and Edit Target for Export.

I have a problem with my Kestrel 5700 Elite. It suddenly stop giving me true calc.. Factory reset helps only for moment till I change something ex: wind or rifle... look below - 308 win, 2632 fps, 546yd, wind 3 o'clock 4,5mph. Does somebody has solution for it?
IMG_9793.jpeg

It looks like your bullet length is off, that would be a pretty short bullet. Make sure you have the latest app and fw and recreate your profile using the bullet library, send it to the Kestrel and see if you get a better number.

I have latest fw and app version I’ll try with bullet length but what caused this problem?

There has been some posts that the AB library is/was not accurate and your profile may have been made with bad data and redoing it in the app and resending to the Kestrel may fix it.

I use it over 2 years.. it happend suddenly and I don’t know why, where is a bug? May be new update crash it..

Hard to tell why, best to just redo profile and see if that fixes it. If not then spend the time looking into it.

IMHO I found a bug. The Kestrel Link App doesn't auto calculate properly bullet length in metric system on Imperial works ok... In metric I must manually add true value. Before latest update everything works ok.

How did you manually change the bullet length, you had a custom curve and length is locked in those?

In Kestrel Link Ballistics - go to settings turn off BL auto calculate then u show new place with bullet length u can manually enter.
If u use custom drag u show bullet length but u cant't change this value if u made manually gun set up u can enter everything manually.

Kestrel could unlock to change bullet length during custom drag use. Unless custom drag use constant bc and bullet length, but I don't know is that true.. It's know that is bug in kestrel link app, previous version hasn't it.

Kestrel LiNK Ballistics for iOS had a bug with auto calculating bullet length for custom curves in version 224. This should be corrected with the latest version, 235. However the bug will still exist in profiles created and saved with that previous version (even with using the new app version). If you recreate the profile with the new version, the bullet length should be correct and you should not see any issues.

If you find you are still seeing issues after following the advice above, please let us know.

I use 235 ver. IMHO are more bugs:

- Settings menu - headspace of Preferences and Product info's has yellow letters and white background (unreadable), I use dark mode
- Target card - when I clear target card and turn off app and than turn in on old value are on, I can't clear it

Is possible to manually change bullet length using custom curves?

I use 235 ver. IMHO are more bugs:

- Settings menu - headspace of Preferences and Product info's has yellow letters and white background (unreadable), I use dark mode
- Target card - when I clear target card and turn off app and than turn in on old value are on, I can't clear it

Is possible to manually change bullet length using custom curves?

Ok thanks for the feedback. No, you cannot change the bullet length for custom curves but this is intentional as the curves were made using that specific bullet length and changing the BL would affect results. However we do not believe that there should be a big discrepancy between the lengths when choosing the proper bullet profile.

Could you verify one bullet on library? It's 338LM 300gr scenar bullets are twice, which one is correct or which one is GB528? I use this ammo and I don't know which is correct...

Last edited:
Anything with an alphanumeric extension is a custom drag curve for a specific shooter and their rifle.
I feel like that was mentioned a long time ago.

I asked DocBeech from AB and answer was: we tested two series of Lapua Scenar 300grs and there you have two BCs. But i tested my Lapua Scenar and BC G7 is 0,368 as Lapua says on their web page :) Not 0,382.

Could you verify one bullet on library? It's 338LM 300gr scenar bullets are twice, which one is correct or which one is GB528? I use this ammo and I don't know which is correct...

Kestrel 5700, Ballistics, if I lock the environmental, I'm still able to change temperature. However, unable to change DA. Was it always like this? I thought it was able to be changed.

Kestrel 5700, Ballistics, if I lock the environmental, I'm still able to change temperature. However, unable to change DA. Was it always like this? I thought it was able to be changed.

DA has always been calculated from the Temperature, RH and Station Pressure. In order to change the DA, you have to adjust one of those parameters.

Reactions: Dooby
@Kestrel Ballistics I noticed yesterday that my 5700 elite is giving me a correction of .2 mils at 100 yards and tapered off and back up at 200. Not sure why it’s doing this, but it still gave me good corrections at distance. I have it set for 100 yard zero.

@Kestrel Ballistics I noticed yesterday that my 5700 elite is giving me a correction of .2 mils at 100 yards and tapered off and back up at 200. Not sure why it’s doing this, but it still gave me good corrections at distance. I have it set for 100 yard zero.

Do you have wind entered in? Most likely the cause is from AJ, make wind = 0 and it should show a 0 Elevation hold. You can look in ballistics menu as to what is contributing to that.

Reactions: kriller134
FYI I did some debugging of the 2800.com and 5700 AB Elite, please test and verify my results.

Leica 2800.com BT testing:

Leica setup, BT enabled, no ballistic calculator settings on device

Kestrel 5700elite setup: BT enabled device mode connected to Leica, Kestrel BT mode set to lock in the device submenu on the Kestrel, setting in display menu set to 15m auto shutdown
fgnhFzv5zmHLCTlphrPhdkV-kc-W_5030c0W8PwjeARoFY2VNyMb98RbJ1Pn0NX4omZZxxEG8v0vSnQIkSct44JJFfSdy-YTfu-LAWaYq1LtUhFTh44k2LMoZ4fj38p3jOyqBu3x

1. I can range multiple targets for hours if I do not let the Leica or Kestrel go into sleep mode.
  2. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.
  3. If they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).
  4. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
    1. There does seem to be some extended amount of time the Leica is asleep for it to enter this mode. I did see it work properly when I woke the device with button 2 right after it went to sleep. If I let it sit for several minutes after going to sleep it consistently entered this “partially” disconnected state. I waited 2 minutes after seeing the Leica go to sleep.
    2. If I leave the Leica awake in this disconnected state and go into the BT menu on the Kestrel and force it to reconnect. It goes back to being connected and working as expected
    3. If you power the Leica off with button 1, wait for it to power off, and power back up with button 1. It goes back to working as expected.

Last edited:
I am new to the kestrel 5700 with AB. I have turned SD off and set my Lat to zero to turn Cor off.
My question is there anyway to adjust AJ value? It looks like every 6mph in wind1 adds a .10th. On my range out to 1100 yards with a 12mph wind1 from 3 o'clock. It's adding 0.20. In testing that is too much. For me it more like a .10th. Any future firmware updates that will allow us to adjust how much AJ it is giving us?

I am running my gun an a G7 bc if that matters.

I am new to the kestrel 5700 with AB. I have turned SD off and set my Lat to zero to turn Cor off.
My question is there anyway to adjust AJ value? It looks like every 6mph in wind1 adds a .10th. On my range out to 1100 yards with a 12mph wind1 from 3 o'clock. It's adding 0.20. In testing that is too much. For me it more like a .10th. Any future firmware updates that will allow us to adjust how much AJ it is giving us?

I am running my gun an a G7 bc if that matters.
To turn of AJ, set wind 1 to zero, and just use wind 2

no, like the other effects they are over emphasized only able to zero them out, sorry.

FYI I did some debugging of the 2800.com and 5700 AB Elite, please test and verify my results.

Leica 2800.com BT testing:

Leica setup, BT enabled, no ballistic calculator settings on device

Kestrel 5700elite setup: BT enabled device mode connected to Leica, Kestrel BT mode set to lock in the device submenu on the Kestrel, setting in display menu set to 15m auto shutdown
fgnhFzv5zmHLCTlphrPhdkV-kc-W_5030c0W8PwjeARoFY2VNyMb98RbJ1Pn0NX4omZZxxEG8v0vSnQIkSct44JJFfSdy-YTfu-LAWaYq1LtUhFTh44k2LMoZ4fj38p3jOyqBu3x

1. I can range multiple targets for hours if I do not let the Leica or Kestrel go into sleep mode.

1. If the Leica goes into sleep mode, and I wake it with button 1, it will power up, reconnect to the Kestrel BT, the reticle will swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) as it reconnects with the Kestrel. When this is complete I can range targets as needed. Come up and wind hold information is displayed on the Leica and the Kestrel.

1. If they both go to sleep and I wake up the Leica with button 1 and power on the Kestrel and wait for the reticle to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device), it operates in the same way as above in (2).

1. If the Leica goes to sleep and I wake it with button 2, the Leica appears to reconnect with the Kestrel, it appears to swirl (2nd swirl as it connects with the BT device) and be good. When you press button 2 to range, it displays the range but not the come up or wind hold on the Leica. It does send the info to the Kestrel and displays on the Kestrel.
    1. There does seem to be some extended amount of time the Leica is asleep for it to enter this mode. I did see it work properly when I woke the device with button 2 right after it went to sleep. If I let it sit for several minutes after going to sleep it consistently entered this “partially” disconnected state. I waited 2 minutes after seeing the Leica go to sleep.
    2. If I leave the Leica awake in this disconnected state and go into the BT menu on the Kestrel and force it to reconnect. It goes back to being connected and working as expected
    3. If you power the Leica off with button 1, wait for it to power off, and power back up with button 1. It goes back to working as expected.
Thanks for all the details. I have sent this feedback to Leica and hopefully they will get back to us about it.

@Kestrel Ballistics
I was really bummed the Warner flatline 361 gr bullet wasn’t in the library. It’s a really popular bullet in ELR. I have come to really trust the custom curve you guys do. I hope you’ll test it soon, thanks

Took advantage of the Camera Land Kestrel Sportsman deal so know Im getting into meters and ballistics programs.

Had some experience using one at a Sig Sauer class, dont remember which model but it had AB, was intuitive for a newb, was probably a 5700 Elite if they were available 3 years ago.

When my new Sportsman arrived this week I ordered the upgrade and turned it into a 5700 Elite.

My reasons for doing so.....I want a library of mor than three guns, I want beyond 800 yards capability.

My uses include occasional shooting to 1000 yards on a KD range.

For local use I generally only get 300 yards so it will be more of a weather station.

Were I will really find it useful is on the once a year occasion I go to a friends farm and we shoot placed steel in the elements. This is when that desire for a first round hit will require everything the Kestrel can give me.

Typically I range through my scope mil dots so hopefully the Kestrel/AB will tighten up my conditions/dope estimates perhaps helping with any error I make in milling.

I am interested in getting a range finder. I wouldnt have use really beyond 100 yards that I can think of right now.

My PSR rifles are all .308 typically launching 175 SMKs.

Thinking I may pick up a Bushnell CONX as a cheap means to dip my toe into range finding gear.

Any thoughts on the communication between the CONX/upgraded Sportsman and the quality of date they put out?

The CONX works great with the Kestrel 5700 (what you get once you first link the Sportsman to the Kestrel app). Since it is a first generation LRF with Link, it does not display the holds like the newer Link LRFs do, you will need to look at the Kestrel screen, and its ranging distance is a bit shorter, but it is a great and inexpensive way to get started.

Except for Leica and Sig, do any other LRF linked to kestrel show the solution on screen?