• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Sorry about all of this. Please try this: try a soft reboot of kestrel, take battery out and hold down the power key for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and see if it will connect with the Kestrel Ballistics App. You will need to calibrate the compass before shooting again, but hopefully the new name will register with the ballistic app. Again, let me know the results.

Also, you say your iPhone X operating system upgraded and that was the beginning of this problem?
Yes. After my iPhoneXS upgraded to iOS 12.1.1, my bluetooth connection to the Kestrel was lost.
I downloaded the Kestrel Link to my computer and used the NK Dongle to try to connect my computer to the Kestrel. The connection dropped by itself before I could rename the Kestrel.
I then attached the Kestrel to my computer with the USB Data Transfer cable and was able to rename my Kestrel. This finally allowed me to connect again with the Kestrel Link Ballistics on my phone with the Kestrel by bluetooth. The connection is finally holding.

We have others interested in Scope Calibration and plan to incorporate it into the Kestrel. There are programming resources required and the release date is open at this time.

I "hard & fast" option to do this on the Kestrel would be awesome...

I "hard & fast" option to do this on the Kestrel would be awesome...

It should have always been an option. My AB mobile & AB Analysts both have it. I recent bought the Kestrel Elite because I wanted a stand alone weather meter and ballistic engine that wasn’t tied to my phone. If I would have known that the Correction Factor wasn’t apart of the engine, I would have held off on buying it.

I support AB, clearly because I buy their software and books; however, the lack of Calibration Factor being unlocked makes me feel like it’s an incomplete software package. I don’t have to tell you how much these Kestrel elites cost but you would assume that you’d be getting the complete software engine package like AB Mobile and AB Analytics has.

That being said there is a work around if it is actually needed. Just multiply your elevation or windage by what percentage it actually takes your scope to move. I’d just rather it be in the software.

It should have always been an option. My AB mobile & AB Analysts both have it. I recent bought the Kestrel Elite because I wanted a stand alone weather meter and ballistic engine that wasn’t tied to my phone. If I would have known that the Correction Factor wasn’t apart of the engine, I would have held off on buying it.

I support AB, clearly because I buy their software and books; however, the lack of Calibration Factor being unlocked makes me feel like it’s an incomplete software package. I don’t have to tell you how much these Kestrel elites cost but you would assume that you’d be getting the complete software engine package like AB Mobile and AB Analytics has.

That being said there is a work around if it is actually needed. Just multiply your elevation or windage by what percentage it actually takes your scope to move. I’d just rather it be in the software.

What scope are you running?

New to PRS, I have been looking at the Kestrel as a necessary piece of hardware. Given the cost of the Kestrel Elite, it should do everything and am surprised to read that that's not the case.

@Kestrel Ballistics, I've got a 5700 Ballistics. Why is it that the battery percentage on the firmware screen sometimes differs from the AB screen that follows it? It's not an issue. I'm more curious about whether it may be indicative of the operating system setup.

Thanks.

@Kestrel Ballistics I bought the 5700 elite with link and it’s great. I trued up my muzzle velocity at 1050 yards, now do I need to true up my dsf if I’m using the custom drag curve?

@Kestrel Ballistics I bought the 5700 elite with link and it’s great. I trued up my muzzle velocity at 1050 yards, now do I need to true up my dsf if I’m using the custom drag curve?
DSF is for longer transsonic distances. Look at the suggested distance for the cal DSF. If you are shooting to that distance and missing, then true up to 6 different distance shots starting with the shortest distance first and ending with the longest. Test first, you may not need to true DSF if you solutions are on for the longer distances.

DSF is for longer transsonic distances. Look at the suggested distance for the cal DSF. If you are shooting to that distance and missing, then true up to 6 different distance shots starting with the shortest distance first and ending with the longest. Test first, you may not need to true DSF if you solutions are on for the longer distances.
Thanks!

Are we supposed to true our MV even though we have a known MV from a Magnetospeed or do we true the BC. If we are supposed to true the BC, how do we do that with a custom drag curve? Just adjust it up or down until the elevation matches what we are actually shooting?

MV is a variable that modifies the formula used in the Kestrel. You can change it to get the best shooting solution for your rifle, which is the goal. If you are using a custom curve there is no adjustment, it will show BC 1.000 and it cannot be changed. Only a G7 or G1 entry can be modified.

Reactions: Holliday
MV is a variable that modifies the formula used in the Kestrel. You can change it to get the best shooting solution for your rifle, which is the goal. If you are using a custom curve there is no adjustment, it will show BC 1.000 and it cannot be changed. Only a G7 or G1 entry can be modified.
Thats why I went back to using G7 for the BC instead of the custom curve I just find it wrong to modify a known data point (MV from a Magnetospeed) to compensate for a data point that can't be changed (custom drag curve) to get things to line up. I find tweaking the BC works for me.

I use the CDM with the velocity I get from my Magnetospeed Sporter, and it lines up perfectly out to 1100yd, so far, FWIW. But, everything has a tolerance. Magnetospeed says that their current chronos are accurate within 99.5-99.9%. For a 3000 fps MV, that's potentially a 15 fps error - theoretically, there could be a little more if you haven't set it up quite right, I would imagine. That's not a big tweak at 15 fps, but I wouldn't consider that unusual to have to make in the Kestrel. If you're having to tweak double or more of that, I'd question how accurate that particular CDM is, maybe. I'm shooting the 140 RDF, and so far it seems to be right on with an 8 twist barrel at 2700 fps...

Count me in the crowd that would prefer to see elevation and windage correction factor implemented on the Kestrel, please. I don't require it at the moment, but definitely want to make sure I'd have it available later. Versus the other products on the market, and the other implementations of the AB engine in hardware, it's a missing feature on the Kestrel.

Is there a way to export a session from a 5700 elite link, either on the device or the app? It would be nice to be able to capture and compare what the device captured and suggested after leaving the range.

I could see saving multiple instances in a spreadsheet.

15fps MV error on top of poor reloading or factory ammo, shows at extended range. Now add in a scope that has 1% error or worse.

Now let’s add someone inexperienced who thinks truing solves everything but they turned off SD & CE. Good luck shooting at a different location with that one.

And to make the truing even more fun, vertical wind is present.

Is there a way to export a session from a 5700 elite link, either on the device or the app? It would be nice to be able to capture and compare what the device captured and suggested after leaving the range.

I could see saving multiple instances in a spreadsheet.

What are you trying to export exactly, the weather conditions or the holds? I'm thinking you would want to use Target Card in the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and then Export the results using the app. You can export up to 10 targets (with an Elite only) as a CSV file which would show your holds for that day.

5700 elite

Is there a way to input the temp when the rifle was zero?

Or it is assuming the FPS entered for the zero data was specific to the temp at the time of zero?

What are you trying to export exactly, the weather conditions or the holds? I'm thinking you would want to use Target Card in the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and then Export the results using the app. You can export up to 10 targets (with an Elite only) as a CSV file which would show your holds for that day.
I would want to export all the settings, the environment gun, the ammo, and the targets. You see lots of entry errors and bad settings creating bad or misaligned data. It would make it easier to share and solicit input.

I would want to export all the settings, the environment gun, the ammo, and the targets. You see lots of entry errors and bad settings creating bad or misaligned data. It would make it easier to share and solicit input.

There’s really not that much input. I don’t get why people act like it’s as complicated as doing your taxes.

The Kestrel Link Ballistic app lays it all out in a convenient easy to see and read format.

One tip I can suggest for you or others out there is to use the manual capture of the environment to record conditions during that day's shooting. On the Kestrel go to Main Menu->Memory Options. Turn off Auto Store (most ballistics people don't need this on) but make sure Manual Capture is set to ON. Then on the Kestrel if you go to the Weather Mode side and press the Red Capture button, it will record all environmental measurements at that specific time. You can then go back and review this manual capture on the unit or upload it to the LiNK Weather app. If you delete all the weather memory first, it will be easier to find the exact manual captures that you did and correlate it to each shooting session.

There’s really not that much input. I don’t get why people act like it’s as complicated as doing your taxes.

The Kestrel Link Ballistic app lays it all out in a convenient easy to see and read format.
The number of threads of my 5700ab doesn't match my app or dope, followed by questions on the forums about data entry it what was captured. An export function of the data used in the kestrel calculations, not the internal variables or equations. I think the experts here would quickly see something that doesn't make sense in the entered data, gun profile, bullet data, it captured environmental date.

I'm shooting 115 DTACs. I just got a 5700 Elite. Pretty slick!

Shot at 1180 over the weekend. DA was 5500ish. I was running the Kestrel with the canned G7 BC, .276, IIRC. I was backstopping the data with Ballistic FTE, which gave the same value for BC. Both yielded the same data, 10.0 mils with a 10 mph cross wind from 9:00.

Using the AB custom curve, same result, 10.0 mils.

I needed only 9.3 mils. After poking around, I discovered that it's common knowledge (except to me!) that the actual G7 is more like .312. Plugging that in got me exactly what I observed in live fire, 9.3 mils.

Can anyone shed some light? I like the concept of the CDM. I read the articles and buy into the concept. An initial error of 0.7 mils doesn't make me confident that truing is going to be effective, though. Cripes, my impacts were 2 1/2 feet high! Seems like maybe there is something wrong with the DTAC data or that the bullet design has changed.

For reference, I'm using recent production bullets with the rebated base.

MV was 2886.

The beauty of the CDM is that is allows for a degrading BC based on range/ToF. When you use a G1/G7 static BC, you're estimating. At some point (especially at longer ranges) you're going to be off because of that "average" single BC. At least, that's how I understand it.

Quick question for the experts with the older 4500 AB units. I am running the AB curve loaded off the profile loader on a laptop through Bluetooth. On my kestrel I am not able to adjust MV either with the arrows or by using the MV calc feature. Using the calc feature it will calculate the MV but it will continue to increase every time I hit the calculate button and it also will not save the MV once it asks if you want to accept it. The only way I can adjust MV is to go back to the profile loader on the computer and send it to kestrel again. I've opened the battery compartment several times and all that has done is make me recalibrate the compass.

The beauty of the CDM is that is allows for a degrading BC based on range/ToF. When you use a G1/G7 static BC, you're estimating. At some point (especially at longer ranges) you're going to be off because of that "average" single BC. At least, that's how I understand it.

I use a CDM, myself, wherever I can. It seems to be spot on for me with the 140gr RDF. I'm switching to the 140 ELD-M, so we'll see how that goes. But, ideally a solver will support "banded BCs" to work around the issue you describe. Theoretically, it's still not as accurate, because now you're using a quantized curve instead of a smooth curve to describe the BC, but it's better than a single number. To the best of my knowledge, AB doesn't supported banded BCs, but some other solvers do.

Quick question for the experts with the older 4500 AB units. I am running the AB curve loaded off the profile loader on a laptop through Bluetooth. On my kestrel I am not able to adjust MV either with the arrows or by using the MV calc feature. Using the calc feature it will calculate the MV but it will continue to increase every time I hit the calculate button and it also will not save the MV once it asks if you want to accept it. The only way I can adjust MV is to go back to the profile loader on the computer and send it to kestrel again. I've opened the battery compartment several times and all that has done is make me recalibrate the compass.

Do you happen to have a temp table?

I use a CDM, myself, wherever I can. It seems to be spot on for me with the 140gr RDF. I'm switching to the 140 ELD-M, so we'll see how that goes. But, ideally a solver will support "banded BCs" to work around the issue you describe. Theoretically, it's still not as accurate, because now you're using a quantized curve instead of a smooth curve to describe the BC, but it's better than a single number. To the best of my knowledge, AB doesn't supported banded BCs, but some other solvers do.

Banded BCs are a "bandaid" to using the actual drag curve "CDM" instead of a single averaged BC. The CDM is basically the true drag model in its entirety.

Reactions: davere
Do you happen to have a temp table?

I do remember putting in a MV for a temp a while back to keep track of any instability just out of curiosity. Does that lock the MV? I assume I should just delete it and carry on? It's not too big a deal at the moment because the barrel is still speeding up I think and that profile was from a previous rifle.

I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this but here goes. I am running a Kestrel Sportsman that has been upgraded to an Elite. It has FW 1.23. I just bought a Sig 2400BDX and have them paired using ABE. The Sig will get a range, send it to the Kestrel which will display a solution, but the Kestrel will not send the solution back to the Sig to be displayed. Any thoughts on what is wrong or possible solutions?

I do remember putting in a MV for a temp a while back to keep track of any instability just out of curiosity. Does that lock the MV? I assume I should just delete it and carry on? It's not too big a deal at the moment because the barrel is still speeding up I think and that profile was from a previous rifle.

Yes, a Temp Table that is active will lock the MV.

When moving from one DA to another (say Dakotas to Texas for example) is there a way to save calibrated zero data in the kestrel so it can calculate new firing solutions at the new shooting location or would it not matter? My concern is POI shift when going from northern to southern united states. To give a better example. Let's say I have dope for area X and I'm going to Y. Is there a way to save area X in the kestrel and have it calculate new firing solutions when shooting in area Y?

Not sure if this has been asked...but is it common to have to re-calibrate the compass almost every other time when powering on?

Usually I get incorrect compass reading or it's very dynamic. After Calibration it works very well. Today I powered it on and the compass reading was all gone. Needed to re-calibrate.

Reactions: BigTex and davere
When moving from one DA to another (say Dakotas to Texas for example) is there a way to save calibrated zero data in the kestrel so it can calculate new firing solutions at the new shooting location or would it not matter? My concern is POI shift when going from northern to southern united states. To give a better example. Let's say I have dope for area X and I'm going to Y. Is there a way to save area X in the kestrel and have it calculate new firing solutions when shooting in area Y?

Changes in DA or Elevation do not have an effect on a 100 yard zero. This is why we recommend this the most.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
Not sure if this has been asked...but is it common to have to re-calibrate the compass almost every other time when powering on?

Usually I get incorrect compass reading or it's very dynamic. After Calibration it works very well. Today I powered it on and the compass reading was all gone. Needed to re-calibrate.

I have been using an app for a while to determine what's "normal" recalibration and what is not. Surprisingly I have found it be very useful. It is a NOAA Which gives me my true magnetic declination, but it also does something really cool in that it measures Magnetic Anomaly percentage. Or how much interference the compass at that location is experiencing. For instance turning it on right now sitting at my desk, I have a -25% anomaly rating and a "yellow" caution indicator. I try to only calibrate when the anomaly percentage is near non existent. This has proven useful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-101051_CrowdMag.jpg
    Screenshot_20190219-101051_CrowdMag.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 118

We have often seen issues with needing to recalibrate the compass when storing the Kestrel in a metal enclosure such as a gun safe or even your car / truck overnight.

Reactions: Dooby
We have often seen issues with needing to recalibrate the compass when storing the Kestrel in a metal enclosure such as a gun safe or even your car / truck overnight.

Thanks! I DO store it in my car sometimes, most of the time it is in my hunting pack. While out camping it'll be in the car (Car has compass too, so i know this will affect the Kestrel's compass readings)

I'm getting better at calibrating the Kestrel, so it's not much of an inconvenience.

One other thing i wanted to note. I noticed that Applied Ballistics has changed the BC on some bullets. I understand they do this regularly and update their AB app. from a different forum thread i read, the BC doesn't add up to their bullet drop. did someone mess up on the excel sheet?

Should this be something to ask AB instead?

thanks, love the Kestrel.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this but here goes. I am running a Kestrel Sportsman that has been upgraded to an Elite. It has FW 1.23. I just bought a Sig 2400BDX and have them paired using ABE. The Sig will get a range, send it to the Kestrel which will display a solution, but the Kestrel will not send the solution back to the Sig to be displayed. Any thoughts on what is wrong or possible solutions?
We don't have a Sig unit to check this on. Best to contact AB or Sig and see what they have programmed the unit to do.

Zero at 100 yds is the recommended distance. There is so little environmental impact at that distance it should be good at different locations. Also, check you 100 yd zero to be sure there are no environmental factors showing up (small elevation holds that you dialed into your zero).

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
Thanks! I DO store it in my car sometimes, most of the time it is in my hunting pack. While out camping it'll be in the car (Car has compass too, so i know this will affect the Kestrel's compass readings)

I'm getting better at calibrating the Kestrel, so it's not much of an inconvenience.

One other thing i wanted to note. I noticed that Applied Ballistics has changed the BC on some bullets. I understand they do this regularly and update their AB app. from a different forum thread i read, the BC doesn't add up to their bullet drop. did someone mess up on the excel sheet?

Should this be something to ask AB instead?

thanks, love the Kestrel.

Yes, Doc at AB would be the source for the best information on that.

Changes in DA or Elevation do not have an effect on a 100 yard zero. This is why we recommend this the most.
Zero at 100 yds is the recommended distance. There is so little environmental impact at that distance it should be good at different locations. Also, check you 100 yd zero to be sure there are no environmental factors showing up (small elevation holds that you dialed into your zero).
Thank you both for the info!

Thanks @Kestrel Ballistics and @DocUSMCRetired.

@DocUSMCRetired , what compass app is that you're using? available on Android? tried to search on Play but could not find a similar/same interface.

@DocUSMCRetired , any idea on the BC changes?

Just an FYI: you can use the phone's internal compass with the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app to change DOF. If you press the yellow DOF button in the single target screen or the compass icon in the multi target screens, it will use the phone compass to input the current DOF.

I too have a 5700. Do you match shooters feel confident enough in the wind solutions to either dial or hold what the kestrel is giving you?

I too have a 5700. Do you match shooters feel confident enough in the wind solutions to either dial or hold what the kestrel is giving you?

It depends.. In a flat area you generally are pretty good. In really hilly areas you need to understand where you are metering the wind and where the target is... I hill areas, I don't use the kestrels wind.. it isn't that it is wrong just that the wind at the FFP isn't what the bullet will see most of the flight.

Last edited:
Hey guys, been using the Kestrel for 3 years now and love it. I have a question in regards to using the capture feature vs manual entry.

So what I do is set and leave my DOF at 12 oclock. I don't capture the target. I then manually enter my wind direction and speed. I will occasionally do wind readings but I still enter my min and max. My reasoning on this is because a lot of times where I'm shooting wind may be swirling and not going the direction it is really going 50 yards away from me.

Am I shorting myself using this method? Should I be capturing DOF and wind direction? Thanks