• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

I didn't even realize it was a brand new update. I just happened to pair the kestrel to my phone to move over a test profile and figured "What the heck?". I was already one rev behind.

After the update, lots of weirdness ensued. I turned off Accuracy 1st after fiddling with it, and that seemed to be the first step in getting back to the behavior I was used to. Still couldn't get the L/R buttons to cycle between targets.

Re-paired my 2800.com and lazed a bunch of stuff to populate the target card. Fiddled with wind (all-tgts, degrees instead of clock) and then happened to notice that I could cycle between targets on the main page again.

It's funny how when you use something a lot, you don't really know what the pages look like from memory. I sorta recall being able to turn targets on/off. I sorta recall selecting wind would only show wind menu. I'm sure I will get used to the new interface with enough time. It's just a bit kludgey at the moment.

Final heads up for those doing the update: You will lose latitude, compass calibration, and a few things get set to a new default. Point is, just go through every menu as if it were a new unit and make sure it's what you want.

Reactions: davere
I have the Kestrel/Hornady 4 DOF meter with software version 1.28. Will this unit have the same problems previously mentioned if I update to 1.35? Thanks.

Sounds like you're not the only one. @ScottDWallace was describing the same problem to me on the phone last night, but I didn't have my Kestrel in front of me to compare to older firmware...
I found that it disabled any defined targets other than the first one. It also changed my target designators back to ABC vs 123. If you go into each target and enable them (Active=Yes) you will be able to toggle through the targets using the arrows again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plug-Ugly
I have the Kestrel/Hornady 4 DOF meter with software version 1.28. Will this unit have the same problems previously mentioned if I update to 1.35? Thanks.
I just did the update on my 5700 4DOF,
and am unable to upload gun profiles. I'll get on the phone with them tomorrow and see what's what.

I found that it disabled any defined targets other than the first one. It also changed my target designators back to ABC vs 123. If you go into each target and enable them (Active=Yes) you will be able to toggle through the targets using the arrows again.
I loaded the targets to my phone and corrected the Distances and also Target speed to 0.
Then sent them back into Kestrel.

I just did the update on my 5700 4DOF,
and am unable to upload gun profiles. I'll get on the phone with them tomorrow and see what's what.
I appreciate the feed back. Hope you get a positive response from Kestrel.

I hope Kestrel can fix these software problems. Up until now (software upgrade) I couldn't say enough good things about the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF. I'm perfectly satisfied with the current version 1.28 and don't plan to update until problem(s) are fixed.

I hope Kestrel can fix these software problems. Up until now (software upgrade) I couldn't say enough good things about the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4 DOF. I'm perfectly satisfied with the current version 1.28 and don't plan to update until problem(s) are fixed.
I just got off of the phone with Kestrel. They are aware of the issue and are working on it.

We are working on all the issues that are popping up with this last fw update.

The new update does clear your defaults, so you will need to check your settings to see if they are what you want. Also, The multiple targets work a little differently now, so you will need to go into the target sub-menu and make them active if you want more than 1. Remember if you activate more than 1 target your side arrows will change targets, if you only have 1 target your side arrows will change distance.

As long as you are going to check your settings, also check Memory Options and be sure Auto Store is off to preserve battery life.

We will follow up as we sort through some of the other issues you have identified.

Reactions: kindabitey
We are working on all the issues that are popping up with this last fw update.

The new update does clear your defaults, so you will need to check your settings to see if they are what you want. Also, The multiple targets work a little differently now, so you will need to go into the target sub-menu and make them active if you want more than 1. Remember if you activate more than 1 target your side arrows will change targets, if you only have 1 target your side arrows will change distance.

As long as you are going to check your settings, also check Memory Options and be sure Auto Store is off to preserve battery life.

We will follow up as we sort through some of the other issues you have identified.
Does the new update affect the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF ?

there have been some different issues with the 4DOF and we stopped the update. We will get the fixes made and start it again. So far we know there are some profile issues if the MV is set below 100 fps, if you are having problems check that setting.

Reactions: kindabitey
I didn't even realize it was a brand new update. I just happened to pair the kestrel to my phone to move over a test profile and figured "What the heck?". I was already one rev behind.

After the update, lots of weirdness ensued. I turned off Accuracy 1st after fiddling with it, and that seemed to be the first step in getting back to the behavior I was used to. Still couldn't get the L/R buttons to cycle between targets.

Re-paired my 2800.com and lazed a bunch of stuff to populate the target card. Fiddled with wind (all-tgts, degrees instead of clock) and then happened to notice that I could cycle between targets on the main page again.

It's funny how when you use something a lot, you don't really know what the pages look like from memory. I sorta recall being able to turn targets on/off. I sorta recall selecting wind would only show wind menu. I'm sure I will get used to the new interface with enough time. It's just a bit kludgey at the moment.

Final heads up for those doing the update: You will lose latitude, compass calibration, and a few things get set to a new default. Point is, just go through every menu as if it were a new unit and make sure it's what you want.
What is in the accuracy 1st menu? I'm on a hunt and I'm scared to do anything out of the usual until after the hunt..... Especially after this update. It's hard to believe they would push an update without any documentation or even an info release on changes

What is in the accuracy 1st menu? I'm on a hunt and I'm scared to do anything out of the usual until after the hunt..... Especially after this update. It's hard to believe they would push an update without any documentation or even an info release on changes
just a bunch of calculations you only need for eiter when you are familiar with accuracy 1st formula´s or have a reticle like a tremor 2, 3 or h58-59. Other than that, the true beauty for hunters is the point blank range calculation which you can find under gun and below zero range. It will let you calc your point blank range elevation and max usable distance for any sized target. wanna do headshots on a squirel with pbr, just punch in 2 inch for target size and depending on your gun it will tel you how many clicks up and till howfar you can keep aiming center of the squirrels lill face.

Unfortunately if you do do this update it sets everything back to default.

So you have to go back and set spin drift off, change to yards vs meters, reload targets distances, etc.

I saw one video clip where that menu seemed to set some of the "hide recommended" settings that were being overused. Spin drift, coreolis, aero jump, angle.

Can someone confirm this?

Anyone that had issues with the 1.35 update and Kestrel Hornady 4DOF units, a fix is going to be pushed out later today that will fix the issue with the gun profile transfers. Sorry for the trouble but thanks to all for the feedback so we could address this as quick as we could.

Also some troubleshooting tips for firmware updates to help with losing guns. The guns get restored at the very end after the Kestrel reconnects to the app. If the Kestrel is having trouble reconnecting back to the app, don't close the program! Go into the Kestrel Bluetooth submenu and make sure Conct still says PC/Mobile and Privacy Pin is OFF. If you adjust it on the Kestrel and then do "retry" on the app, your gun profiles should get restored.

Anyone that had issues with the 1.35 update and Kestrel Hornady 4DOF units, a fix is going to be pushed out later today that will fix the issue with the gun profile transfers. Sorry for the trouble but thanks to all for the feedback so we could address this as quick as we could.
Just downloaded the latest firmware update, and am happy to report that all is functioning well.
Thanks to the crew @Kestrel Ballistics for getting it fixed in a timely fashion.

Reactions: Kestrel Ballistics
I can’t seem to update my Kestrel 5700 Elite using my iPad running iOS 13.3.
Already removed and reinstalled the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app version 1.224 and did a factory reset on the Kestrel unit.

Also, set iPad to flight mode and only enabled WiFi and Bluetooth.
Kestrel privacyPIN is disabled.

So far I don’t get the notification that an update is available.
Already spend an hour trying all tricks known to me.
Is firmware 1.36 still available?

@Kestrel Ballistics,

Do you plan add "true turret click" value to Kestrel device app?

Could you change azimuth of fire in o'clock value to real 12 o'clock. Kestrel device is change 1 deg to 12 o'clock only, if I shot on 90 degree I have 3 o'clock, I'd like to have 12 o clock..

Reactions: davere
I can’t seem to update my Kestrel 5700 Elite using my iPad running iOS 13.3.
Already removed and reinstalled the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app version 1.224 and did a factory reset on the Kestrel unit.

Also, set iPad to flight mode and only enabled WiFi and Bluetooth.
Kestrel privacyPIN is disabled.

So far I don’t get the notification that an update is available.
Already spend an hour trying all tricks known to me.
Is firmware 1.36 still available?
@Kestrel Ballistics could you please chime in?

I get really spotty Bluetooth/LiNK connection with the Kestrel unit.
Current firmware 1.27
iPhone 6 iOS 12.4.4
iPad iOS 13.3

I need to turn on flight-mode, disable WiFi and enable Bluetooth to have it connect at all.
Then enable WiFi, I get the latest bullet library update (Berger 6mm LRTH 109gr) but no firmware update message.
After I quit the application, opening it again I get no connection at all. Device does not show up. I then have to turn on flight-mode and disable WiFi again to get it to connect... but of course I then won’t have a data connection.

Also, I found a manual to update the firmware using “Kestrel LiNK”on iOS but that does not seem to work in the latest available version.
Kestrel LiNK does connect without problems though, much better than Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.

This is a really frustrating experience.

@Kestrel Ballistics could you please chime in?

I get really spotty Bluetooth/LiNK connection with the Kestrel unit.
Current firmware 1.27
iPhone 6 iOS 12.4.4
iPad iOS 13.3

I need to turn on flight-mode, disable WiFi and enable Bluetooth to have it connect at all.
Then enable WiFi, I get the latest bullet library update (Berger 6mm LRTH 109gr) but no firmware update message.
After I quit the application, opening it again I get no connection at all. Device does not show up. I then have to turn on flight-mode and disable WiFi again to get it to connect... but of course I then won’t have a data connection.

Also, I found a manual to update the firmware using “Kestrel LiNK”on iOS but that does not seem to work in the latest available version.
Kestrel LiNK does connect without problems though, much better than Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.

This is a really frustrating experience.
I've had crappy Bluetooth connection every since the last two updates. About 10 yards is all I can get out of it. For the life of me I can't figure out why you can't change the rifle or even the selected target from the link app...I lost all my data on the most recent update for unknown reasons. For what they charge for this thing....I'm starting to think it's not worth it with the the issues.

I have a problem with the app downloading like it should. I have deleted it and reinstalled it, watched Kestrel videos to link the device to my IPhone 8, rebooted my phone, nothing helps.
here is what the home screen looks like after the app is downloaded.
0C13FCB1-CEFA-4CCB-BCB0-CB7DA6EFF0BD.png

It looks like there is not enough options to locate my device.

I have a problem with the app downloading like it should. I have deleted it and reinstalled it, watched Kestrel videos to link the device to my IPhone 8, rebooted my phone, nothing helps.
here is what the home screen looks like after the app is downloaded.
View attachment 7229075
It looks like there is not enough options to locate my device.
I noticed I need to turn on flight-mode and disable WiFi to have the app connect to my Kestrel.
If WiFi or Cellular is enabled, the app won't find the Kestrel.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
So was the latest update cancelled? I connected my Kestrel 5700 Elite to the app and nothing downloaded. I am still on version 1.31

Thanks for any info.

I noticed I need to turn on flight-mode and disable WiFi to have the app connect to my Kestrel.
We’ll give that a shot... thanks.

Im not sure how this would affect not having the entire list on the app home page, but anything is worth a shot to get it to link up.

Last edited:
I managed to get a sign of life after pulling the battery, then cycling the meters BT from PC to Device, and then back to PC.

Sending all my profiles to the kestrel as a "backup" in case I need to delete the app to get the thing running again. The ability for cloud backups would be killer in a situation like this.

Good luck everyone.

Bingo! Viola!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Thanks for your help, and thank you to Kestrel for actually putting this solution into the comments on the app in the App Store.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing has happened a couple of times, now, where updates don't want to apply, or you have to go through crazy heuristics to get the Kestrel to talk to the app following an update, etc. I purposefully avoid updating firmware on this device as much as possible, unless there's a bug fix I need or something.

@Kestrel Ballistics - your participation on this forum is fantastic. I'm stating the above, hoping that maybe you'll pass it on to your engineers in the hopes that they'll improve their QA processes. It's pretty crazy, in this day and age, that we can't trust the firmware updates to not turn into all day troubleshooting affairs - it feels like they're kicking firmware updates out the door without much (or any) actual testing.

While I'm at it, I'll just request again that you guys implement a turret correction factor in the Kestrel. The AB engine has support for it, Kestrel just hasn't implemented it in the device interface. It seems like if you guys can implement the math to do wind dots in a T3 reticle, turret correction factor should be trivial?

Bingo! Viola!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Thanks for your help, and thank you to Kestrel for actually putting this solution into the comments on the app in the App Store.
You're welcome. Happy to help and glad hear that it worked for you.

However, if you do it like that (flight-mode on, disable WiFi) you won't be able to update the Kestrel unit's firmware...
At least I'm not.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Can confirm, airplane mode is needed to connect to the ballistics app with the new update. If you’re having problems, start there.

Overall the connectivity has been SUPER finicky, and that’s not even beginning to mention the update resetting all defaults.

Can confirm, airplane mode is needed to connect to the ballistics app with the new update. If you’re having problems, start there.

Overall the connectivity has been SUPER finicky, and that’s not even beginning to mention the update resetting all defaults.
I think this is a limitation in the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics application as my Kestrel 5700 Elite is still on firmware 1.27.

Using Kestrel LiNK Ballistics version 1.224 (Sep 19, 2019) it requires you to use airplane-mode and disable WiFi. Tested with iPhone 6 running iOS 12.4.4 and iPad Mini 4 running iOS 13.3.

At the same time, the Kestrel LiNK application version 1.5.3 (Sep 26, 2018), connects to the Kestrel unit without problems.
Unfortunately it is not possible to update the Kestrel firmware using that application.

What about the Android version, do Android users have more luck connecting and updating the firmware of their Kestrel units?

We are aware of issues with the Android and iOS having issues with getting prompted for new firmware or not finding devices. We believe this is being caused by a server issue on our end and are looking into it, since the app has not been updated for a while. Please do not uninstall the app if it is working currently as this may cause it to break. But we will try and fix all these issues as soon as we can.

If your Android app is not finding devices, you can try toggling Settings->App/App Permissions and making sure Storage is set to ON/Enabled.

We are aware of issues with the Android and iOS having issues with getting prompted for new firmware or not finding devices. We believe this is being caused by a server issue on our end and are looking into it, since the app has not been updated for a while. Please do not uninstall the app if it is working currently as this may cause it to break. But we will try and fix all these issues as soon as we can.

If your Android app is not finding devices, you can try toggling Settings->App/App Permissions and making sure Storage is set to ON/Enabled.

Do you plan add "true turret click" value to Kestrel device app?

Could you change azimuth of fire in o'clock value to real 12 o'clock. Kestrel device is change 1 deg to 12 o'clock only, if I shot on 90 degree I have 3 o'clock, I'd like to have 12 o clock..

Same here, connected right away and updated from version 1.27 to 1.36.
So all the connection problems were related to the back-end of the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app?

Thanks @Kestrel Ballistics ??
Kestrel-Firmware-Update-Complete.jpeg

@Kestrel Ballistics Please don't take this the wrong way, but needing connectivity to the NK network so that I can transfer local profiles seems a bit overbearing. Will it be this way going forward? Was this some kind of backup/cloud test in the previous update?

Thanks for getting the update out so fast. I know this couldn't have happened during a worse week.

@Kestrel Ballistics Please don't take this the wrong way, but needing connectivity to the NK network so that I can transfer local profiles seems a bit overbearing. Will it be this way going forward? Was this some kind of backup/cloud test in the previous update?

Thanks for getting the update out so fast. I know this couldn't have happened during a worse week.

The only need to access our servers is for new firmware updates. It is not necessary to access our servers when you are transferring files locally. This was an isolated incident that should not happen again even if our servers would have an issue in the future.

Is anyone else not seeing Berger .224 85.5 hybrid in the CC library on kestrel link?

I don’t believe they have added it yet. You can check their Facebook page for the link to the pdf listing the included bullets.