• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

If anyone has had issues with Kestrel 5700 firmware update 1.36 and connecting to compatible Laser Rangefinders, we have identified the issue and are pushing out a fix shortly (firmware version 1.37). For Sig Sauer users, please make sure you update your rangefinder firmware as well to the latest.

just purchased a kestrel elite a couple weeks ago, using it for my vudoo at the moment, it's wanting me to dial a full mil more than needed at 200yds. Am i doing something wrong?

just purchased a kestrel elite a couple weeks ago, using it for my vudoo at the moment, it's wanting me to dial a full mil more than needed at 200yds. Am i doing something wrong?
Check out this guide on truing your .22 with a Kestrel. It helped me get mine dialed in perfectly.

I have a 5700 sportsman on the last update 1.37 my gun profile that i had trued to my rifle disappeared and was lost it wiped out all 3 profiles i had save on my phone app and on my kestrel. Is there a way to keep this from happening or am i doing something wrong. Should have written it in my Range book but didn't know i needed too.

I just updated my 5700 elite to the latest firmware 1.37. From what i can tell my Kestrel is functioning correctly but corresponding apps are not. The iPhone "Kestrel LiNK" app crashes if i try to export data. Also, i have not been successful loading "Previously Connected" data sets. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks

I just saw an accuracy 1st on/off in the settings. I’ve never noticed this until the newest firmware update I did the other day. What is this and should I turn it on?

Reactions: Drewdemon
I just updated my 5700 elite to the latest firmware 1.37. From what i can tell my Kestrel is functioning correctly but corresponding apps are not. The iPhone "Kestrel LiNK" app crashes if i try to export data. Also, i have not been successful loading "Previously Connected" data sets. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks
Also, all the scrolling menu items are washed out, you can't see them at all, if you have your iPhone (running latest IOS) screen setting in "dark mode".

What is the Software Version Build number in you iPhone Kestrel Link Ballistic App, you will find it in the app settings menu.
The build number is 235 but i'm not having an issue with the Kestrel Link Ballistic app. My issue is with Kestrel LiNK app. I like to use it when i'm building a load for new bullet. Is it still supported?

HI, not sure I understand, the Kestrel Link Ballistic App is the one used for building gun profiles. the Kestrel Link App is used to gather the weather information from the Kestrel. Are you not able to gather the weather info?

HI, not sure I understand, the Kestrel Link Ballistic App is the one used for building gun profiles. the Kestrel Link App is used to gather the weather information from the Kestrel. Are you not able to gather the weather info?
Correct, the weather app. It worked before the firmware update but not now. It connects but I have the following issues;
- not successful loading "Previously Connected" data sets
- scrolling menu items are washed out if the iPhone is in "dark mode"
- crashes if i try to export data

Thanks

Correct, the weather app. It worked before the firmware update but not now. It connects but I have the following issues;
- not successful loading "Previously Connected" data sets
- scrolling menu items are washed out if the iPhone is in "dark mode"
- crashes if i try to export data

Thanks

Can you please let me know version of Kestrel LiNK for iOS that you are using? We recently have updated it to prevent crashing for exporting data so I would like to know if you have the latest version installed. Dark mode is a known issue and the only workaround is to be in Light mode for the time being. I'm not sure about the Previously Connected data sets however and why those aren't showing correctly. Just FYI: our main focus is developing a totally new and improved version of the LiNK Weather app however and hope to have this out in a couple of months. There are some limitations with the current version that we are going to be improving on.

Can you please let me know version of Kestrel LiNK for iOS that you are using? We recently have updated it to prevent crashing for exporting data so I would like to know if you have the latest version installed. Dark mode is a known issue and the only workaround is to be in Light mode for the time being. I'm not sure about the Previously Connected data sets however and why those aren't showing correctly. Just FYI: our main focus is developing a totally new and improved version of the LiNK Weather app however and hope to have this out in a couple of months. There are some limitations with the current version that we are going to be improving on.
The iPhone app is on version 1.5.4.6

Thanks

The iPhone app is on version 1.5.4.6

Thanks

How are you trying to export the data (which email: native apple email or a 3rd party email)? Also are you sure you have data as if you try and export a file with no data, this will crash the program. I do believe the export shouldn't be crashing though if you have data and are using either native app or something like the gmail app.

How are you trying to export the data (which email: native apple email or a 3rd party email)? Also are you sure you have data as if you try and export a file with no data, this will crash the program. I do believe the export shouldn't be crashing though if you have data and are using either native app or something like the gmail app.
I think i found the problem. The data logging rate was changed after the firmware update (I'm guessing). I changed it back and it's collecting data again.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: Kestrel Ballistics
Please note regarding the Kestrel HUD: We are seeing that Loctite can cause problems with the HUD Clip Mounts. We recommend no Loctite for the mounting screws, they should hold just fine without it.

Last edited:
Not sure about the reason the reset value was set at 2 mph, but it has no impact on any calculation. Target Lead is a notification of the hold to apply if you choose to add/subtract from the wind hold, it is not used in the wind hold equation.

How do I give an adjustment to the dope? It says i should be at 1.95 mils but I know I am a 2.1 at that distance.

also does the app produce a dope table for reference?

How do I give an adjustment to the dope? It says i should be at 1.95 mils but I know I am a 2.1 at that distance.

also does the app produce a dope table for reference?
For an AB meter read up on Calc MV and for the Hornady read up on Axial Form Factor for adjusting the meter to your rifle. There is no dope table. If you have an Elite there is a range card.

Look in the last post in the Links thread (or below) for a new video by Todd Hodnett on why you may need to true your MV even with a trusted chrony reading. If your holds are off check your Profile for errors and then go to Calc MV for the fix.

Reactions: chrismartin
UPDATE: For anyone with a Kestrel 5700 units with a firmware version at 1.12 (you can check your fw version in the About/Version menu) or below who cannot update their firmware, please download and connect to our Kestrel LiNK Weather application (iOS or Android). You should get prompted for an update but please note the gun profiles on the Kestrel will be erased. Once you have successfully updated through the Weather app, disconnect and close the app. Then reconnect to the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics application and you should then get prompted for any additional updates. We are looking into fixing this problem in the future to avoid this additional step. Thank you.

Hi @Kestrel Ballistics.
If I change the name of my 5700 Elite FW version 1.37 HW11B in the Weather app, it is no longer recognized by the LiNK Ballistics app.
I have to restore it to factory before it will be seen and can connect to it.

Hi @Kestrel Ballistics.
If I change the name of my 5700 Elite FW version 1.37 HW11B in the Weather app, it is no longer recognized by the LiNK Ballistics app.
I have to restore it to factory before it will be seen and can connect to it.
What is the name you changed it to? Is this ios or android?

Last edited:
It’s IOS on an iPhone 7 with 13.3 software.
I wanted to change the name to my screen name from ELITE-(Serial number).

I believe this is a caching issue with iOS devices. Unfortunately the only way to clear the cache on iOS devices is to uninstall and reinstall the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app. However you will lose your gun profiles saved in the app.

IF you want to do this, you could try uninstalling the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app. Then go into Kestrel Weather app and rename the Kestrel. Close the Weather app completely. Then go back and install the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and connect. I believe it will then show up with the new name and connect fine after that.

Reactions: Tokay444
I believe this is a caching issue with iOS devices. Unfortunately the only way to clear the cache on iOS devices is to uninstall and reinstall the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app. However you will lose your gun profiles saved in the app.

IF you want to do this, you could try uninstalling the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app. Then go into Kestrel Weather app and rename the Kestrel. Close the Weather app completely. Then go back and install the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and connect. I believe it will then show up with the new name and connect fine after that.
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.
I only have the one gun profile so far and it was super easy to build.

That seems to have done the trick!
Thanks.

Fired up my Kestrel 5700 Elite this morning to load some profiles and received a new firmware update to version 1.39.

Anyone know whats new with this update?

Edit: I found this in the official info thread FW change-log .pdf...

1.39 3/6/2020

Adds Concrete Evaporation Solver
Fixes issues with Speed Drop calculation in yards
Fixes issue with toggling solutions on Cal MV/DSF screens

Thanks.

Last edited:
Fired up my Kestrel 5700 Elite this morning to load some profiles and received a new firmware update to version 1.39.

Anyone know whats new with this update?

Edit: I found this in the official info thread FW change-log .pdf...

1.39 3/6/2020

Adds Concrete Evaporation Solver
Fixes issues with Speed Drop calculation in yards
Fixes issue with toggling solutions on Cal MV/DSF screens

Thanks.
I caution anyone on updating their kestrel if you have it dialed in. AB changes their bullet database with no change log. They changed the Hornady 140g ELDM for 6.5CM drastically recently and it no longer aligns with real world dope custom curve is unusable and G7 needs to be modified to Hornady recommend value before trueing.

How does updating the firmware in the Kestrel itself change anything in the database??

I think the issue you described would have more to do with updating the phone app as that’s where the profiles are created and the AB database is stored.

There is not a bullet library stored in the Kestrel itself, only a generic profile creator under “new gun”
and that would need every variable to be entered manually including BC.

Please correct me if I’m wrong...

Reactions: seansmd
How does updating the firmware in the Kestrel itself change anything in the database??

I think the issue you described would have more to do with updating the phone app as that’s where the profiles are created and the AB database is stored.

There is not a bullet library stored in the Kestrel itself, only a generic profile creator under “new gun”
and that would need every variable to be entered manually including BC.

Please correct me if I’m wrong...
The Kestrel is updated when connected to the APP and the APP lets you know there is new firmware, when the kestrel is updated with new firmware the database may or may not get updated. AB does not provide a change log, but they are often adding and updating bullets in the library. I tend to be an update person, apps on my phone, tablets, etc, give me the newest version it must be better. With this it cost me a bunch of time re-verifying my real world dope, only to end back where I was for the most part once I realized AB changed the BC pretty significantly. It was a great learning experience for me, since I committed time and process to get real dope and then away from the range true that up with various different ballistic calculators and the AB Kestrel.

What he’s telling you is, it wasn’t the firmware update that caused it. It would have been an app update. If you updated the firmware but not the app, you wouldn’t have seen the difference.

What he’s telling you is, it wasn’t the firmware update that caused it. It would have been an app update. If you updated the firmware but not the app, you wouldn’t have seen the difference.
The AB bullet database is in the kestrel, it gets updated from the app. I could build a profile only on the kestrel and it would be wrong.

I am not sure what you are saying.

The AB bullet database is in the kestrel, it gets updated from the app. I could build a profile only on the kestrel and it would be wrong.

I am not sure what you are saying.
There are exactly 8 bullet profiles on the unit itself and they’re either 308 or 338. Otherwise, you get your choice of G1 or G7 BC and you’ve got to input all the other data yourself.

There are exactly 8 bullet profiles on the unit itself and they’re either 308 or 338. Otherwise, you get your choice of G1 or G7 BC and you’ve got to input all the other data yourself.

Upgraded to 1.39 today after the issues with 1.37. Update failed while in airplane mode I think while the gun profiles were being updated. Kestrel would not boot for about 10 minutes, but came on eventually with no profiles loaded while showing the 1.39 firmware version. Loaded profiles fine after that. Never had that issue on previous updates so figured I’d report my experience....never had an issue with the several other updates I have installed

Ok, but if you are running a CC and you let the upgrade happen your profile will be updated. Bottom line, I had a fully aligned and verified profile and the update changed the dope the kestrel was generating. The profiles were updated by the app.

So, any solution in sight for this buggy as shit Leica 3500.com?

Will be connected and working fine. Then stops displaying the firing solution even though the kestrel updates the range.

The feature is basically useless if it can stop working at any minute.

So, any solution in sight for this buggy as shit Leica 3500.com?

Will be connected and working fine. Then stops displaying the firing solution even though the kestrel updates the range.

The feature is basically useless if it can stop working at any minute.
For my 280p.com the key was to make sure brother device turned off, or went out of range. Had to change the time out settings on my kestrel, soon the env, lock it, then keep it with me and the Leica.

I kept mine working together for hours this way, I would never trust it in a field match on the clock.