• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a procedure for maintaining sorted profiles on the Kestrel?

I sorted them manually on the app (223-69, 223-77, 223-80., 243-105 etc.) and transferred them to the elite. Seemed OK till I edited the MV on the Kestrel and once saved it changed its position.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a procedure for maintaining sorted profiles on the Kestrel?

I sorted them manually on the app (223-69, 223-77, 223-80., 243-105 etc.) and transferred them to the elite. Seemed OK till I edited the MV on the Kestrel and once saved it changed its position.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
That is how it works now, a change places the current profile on the top. We will look into it.

Reactions: DellaDog
Is it possible to adjust sight offset on the kestrel? I can find the box on the app, but not on kestrels setting. Also, is the scale correction factor available on the device as well?

Is it possible to adjust sight offset on the kestrel? I can find the box on the app, but not on kestrels setting. Also, is the scale correction factor available on the device as well?
Make sure your fw is current 1.49 and ssf is in the gun profile as a submenu of Euint and Wunit. Offsets are there for Elite only.

New User - Kestrel 5700 w/Link.
Probably doing something dumb.
Downloaded App for Kestrel on Iphone - put all data into the app and sent to kestrel.
Tried to 'mirror image' the data in the "shooter' App and the Kestrel program. Cam up with data that isnt what it should be
ran 600 yards for a Rem700 1/11.5" bbl, 175 Berger BTHP (30420) and used a G7 BC of .262
MV of 2636 fps. used zero wind, same temps, humidity, altitude.
Shooter AP program with same weather dats as in Kestrel shows Elevation of 15.0 MOA
Kestrel Ballistics shows 14.29 MOA
For 300 yards
Shooter program shows U4.7 moa which matched the target hits vs
Kestrel U3.93 MOA

Am sure I am missing something - suggestions welcome
I solved all of the above with help from posters and READING the directions ! Thanks to all!

@Kestrel Ballistics sorry if this has been already covered, but is the Terrapin X passing the DoF to the 5700E while ranging? Is there any other LRF bino doing that actually?

@Kestrel Ballistics sorry if this has been already covered, but is the Terrapin X passing the DoF to the 5700E while ranging? Is there any other LRF bino doing that actually?
1660496742355.png

ref: https://kestrelballistics.com/compare-laser-range-finders

I maybe noticed a small bug in my 5700. Newest fw / 1.49.

When you change the rifle placeholders with the record button in the manage rifles, if you happen to keep the arrow button low to skip many at once, it will forget the original rifle that was selected and choose another rifle instead. This is probably unwanted operation? At least it is a bit irritating.

I have finally managed to screw up my humidity protector film. I only noticed it now, it has probably catched a small twig somewhere during last few months.
20220909_110809.jpg

Do you have some repair set for 5700? The impeller also came apart but got it back together with full functionality.

I have finally managed to screw up my humidity protector film. I only noticed it now, it has probably catched a small twig somewhere during last few months.
View attachment 7952619

Do you have some repair set for 5700? The impeller also came apart but got it back together with full functionality.

Has anyone else noticed getting duplicate profiles to their phone?

How do the app and kestrel ensure the profiles overlap properly?

I already deleted all app data but the problem still continued. I uninstalled it after that but I expect the problem to return as deleting data (not just cache) does pretty much the same as reinstalling the app. I had this same problem on my old phone aswell for couple times.

Android, S10 and S10+

in the app go to settings and select Profile Downloads Overwrite to keep from creating dups when loading profiles from the Kestrel to the app.

When downloading profiles from app to Kestrel you have 2 choices Overwrite - delete all profiles on Kestrel and load the selected ones only or Append which simply adds the profiles selected to those already on the Kestrel - this will create dups if you don't first delete the profiles on the Kestrel you don't want.

in the app go to settings and select Profile Downloads Overwrite to keep from creating dups when loading profiles from the Kestrel to the app.

When downloading profiles from app to Kestrel you have 2 choices Overwrite - delete all profiles on Kestrel and load the selected ones only or Append which simply adds the profiles selected to those already on the Kestrel - this will create dups if you don't first delete the profiles on the Kestrel you don't want.
Sorry, I explained it badly.

The duplicates appear on the phone, not on the kestrel.

Reactions: parshal
The Kestrel ballistic app will not show that it’s connected therefore not allowing me to “send profile”
Disconnect the Kestrel from the "white" LiNK app. The it should be visible to connect to in the Ballistics app.

Still will not connect to the ballistics app only the new white app which seems to be nothing but weather conditions. And I also get this message on the legacy Kestrel app.

I have tried completely disconnecting from the white app but still to no avail. I have made sure I’m on PC mobile for Bluetooth.
It immediately connects to the Kestrel app as seen in the screenshot. Any advice?
Is the Ballistics app up to date? 1.272 is current version on iOS

I'm not an iOS guy so getting to the limits of my advice here. Double check the permissions for the Ballistics app, Apple and Google both now disable permissions for apps that haven't been used for a few months.

On the auto-reconnect issue in the white app, there should be a toggle to disable the auto-connect for that device.

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Bingo. Found it you were right. In the iPhone settings under Kestrel BT was disabled. Got it connected. Now it won’t let me transfer my rifles from the app to the Kestrel. Only vice versa 🤣🤣
Do you get the check boxes to select them?

Ugh. Sucks they don’t have a feature to track it like an iPhone can track AirPods or air tags etc.
I know, I have looked everywhere for it. I guess Ieft it at the range and someone else snagged it. I have the app but can't really use that like a kestrel. Hate to buy another but I will have to

I know, I have looked everywhere for it. I guess Ieft it at the range and someone else snagged it. I have the app but can't really use that like a kestrel. Hate to buy another but I will have to
I had mine fall out of a range bag onto my driveway, fortunately it was still there hours later when I returned. I've been religious about repacking it into the same zippered pocket since then.

Curious if kestrel can track who is using that device based on the serial number.
Would be next if it had to be registered with a login to use the kestrel and the app serial number specific.
I wouldn't think so unless they registered it as well with the app or something

Is there a way to manipulate ONLY the windage answers coming from the Kestrel? say at 600yd in a wind I know my specific gun shoots 4.1E and with a wind DOF and speed inputted I should hold 0.8L....my Kestrel reads 4.1U because I 'trued' the profile to line up with my guns reality, but the windage answer is always ~30-40% off of what I know I should be using/what reality tells me after I use the incorrect answer from Kestrel.

Im not asking why the discrepancy - Im asking is there a way to 'true' the windage aspect independently from the elevation truing aspect (other than use the wrong DOF and speeds to magnify/minimize the wind by1/3 for Kestrel inputs).

Is there a way to manipulate ONLY the windage answers coming from the Kestrel? say at 600yd in a wind I know my specific gun shoots 4.1E and with a wind DOF and speed inputted I should hold 0.8L....my Kestrel reads 4.1U because I 'trued' the profile to line up with my guns reality, but the windage answer is always ~30-40% off of what I know I should be using/what reality tells me after I use the incorrect answer from Kestrel.

Im not asking why the discrepancy - Im asking is there a way to 'true' the windage aspect independently from the elevation truing aspect (other than use the wrong DOF and speeds to magnify/minimize the wind by1/3 for Kestrel inputs).
No wind truing. Check your Ballistics page to see if the discrepancy is in Spin Drift or AJ which can be turned off.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
To be honest, it's rare when my actual wind hold matches what the Kestrel says. Out here in the open the wind is nearly always different along the flight path. It only gets worse beyond 400 yards.

Reactions: NiteQwill

Maybe try adjusting the Stability Factor until it starts to align with your real-world findings. But really, it is probably just a subtle error in determining your aggregate wind direction cosine, terrain effects, etc.

Reactions: parshal
No wind truing. Check your Ballistics page to see if the discrepancy is in Spin Drift or AJ which can be turned off.
Next Update:
5700Elite
Independent wind truing

Ability to correlate MV with BC instead of having to have multiple profiles (long/shrt) or an averaged BC that is within 0.2 all the time, exact none

Another thing Ive wondered is why cant a Kestrel display the bullets flight path to say 1000yd in a graph (super dumbed down version of a TI-8X).

*I like the Kestrel but dang if y'all keep upping prices without any real/useful software updates I see them becoming a relic.

Most people shoot from cover, not being exposed to wind by much.
Most ranges have a backwall and dense sides that make the wind swirl, very often at the shooter the wind can turn to the opposite way.

Natural / urban shooting places may have similar wind profiles so studying your range conditions is important to learn the why's to be effective at new places.

And:
Wind tunnels, longer = stronger, short open sides cause swirling
Wind gradients, bullet goes up but at short ranges (~300 and in) with relatively flat ground, it rarely produces great differences.

Wind might blow but if the bullet gets a headstart from the cover and moves quite near to the ground where wind moves slower, it can greatly reduce the effect.

I’m shooting 22 lapua Centre X. When I select this from the bullet library I get all these options.

Using the top one I get excellent results. But what are all the {PDM} Lapua(Rimfire) CenterX(xxx) options? I guess I’m asking what does the number mean. Is it distance in yards?

Thanks!

A79823D3-CC0F-4826-A39B-D96500349249.png

I’m shooting 22 lapua Centre X. When I select this from the bullet library I get all these options.

Using the top one I get excellent results. But what are all the {PDM} Lapua(Rimfire) CenterX(xxx) options? I guess I’m asking what does the number mean. Is it distance in yards?

Thanks!

View attachment 8021863
Those are personal drag models. Basically ballistic data obtained from the AB Mobile Lab at various matches across the nation.

Reactions: Ausvette
Thanks!

So best one for me to use would be the generic top one?
best is not exactly how i would word it. one of the PDMs might actually be match your data better but there's no way to know

but yes i'd just pick the 'generic' one and go from there

I spoke with Bryan at the NF ELR last year about the CDM for each bullet. He said they 'update' that curve based on all the PDMs they gather. The more PDMs = more 'accurate' CDM. I asked him if I had the CDM dialed for my specific rifle if it would change when they update their CDM. He said the CDM would be used if you created a new profile on that bullet.

Just more info.

I spoke with Bryan at the NF ELR last year about the CDM for each bullet. He said they 'update' that curve based on all the PDMs they gather. The more PDMs = more 'accurate' CDM. I asked him if I had the CDM dialed for my specific rifle if it would change when they update their CDM. He said the CDM would be used if you created a new profile on that bullet.

Just more info.
i wonder if they have significant outliers and how they handle them in regards to the CDM

I got the impression that there aren't many outliers especially for the more popular bullets.

Last edited:
Reactions: pathell
Target card(s) – 5700Eliete FW 1.49
I created two target cards, one for a range I compete/practice at often and one "manual" so I can manually input unknown distances for other ranges.

When I change target cards, the elevation changes slightly. For example, for 400y or "C" my DOPE is 1.74. If I change the target card to "manual" and input 400y is says my DOPE is 1.8.

- 600y or “F” is 3.55
- “Manual” 600y is 3.61

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? Or, what should I be checking?

Thanks!

I created two target cards, one for a range I compete/practice at often and one "manual" so I can manually input unknown distances for other ranges.

When I change target cards, the elevation changes slightly. For example, for 400y or "C" my DOPE is 1.74. If I change the target card to "manual" and input 400y is says my DOPE is 1.8.

- 600y or “F” is 3.55
- “Manual” 600y is 3.61

Thanks!
Aerodynamic jump enabled and different DoF on one card?

- 600y or “F” is 3.55
- “Manual” 600y is 3.61

Thanks!
I would check if different angle or dof was captured on either.

It was DoF... One was at 12, and the other was at 3 O'clock. Surprised that it had an impact. I'd like to understand that at some point

Thanks for the help

Reactions: seansmd
Hey guys,
Have two questions and want to premise this by saying I'm an idiot so here goes...
1) Took the Vudoo to the range this evening and wanted to true the MV. Got everything good at 50, set the range at 198 yards and got a hold of 7.24Mils. Let 5 fly and was above and below the waterline with some other software saying I was .04Mils ( about 1/4" for the group) low to POA. Or maybe a 1 or 2 FPS adjustment. I was kinda baffled that I was that close (I've had some horrible results because I suck!) so I wanted to ask did I get lucky or is this is normal if I am feeding everything the right data?
2) When I was in the Kestrel (Ballistics mode) looking at the MV I saw that MV-Temp was off. This should be on correct?

Thank y'all for the help!

P.S. If this is the wrong thread lewt me know and I will delete it!

Hey guys,
Have two questions and want to premise this by saying I'm an idiot so here goes...
1) Took the Vudoo to the range this evening and wanted to true the MV. Got everything good at 50, set the range at 198 yards and got a hold of 7.24Mils. Let 5 fly and was above and below the waterline with some other software saying I was .04Mils ( about 1/4" for the group) low to POA. Or maybe a 1 or 2 FPS adjustment. I was kinda baffled that I was that close (I've had some horrible results because I suck!) so I wanted to ask did I get lucky or is this is normal if I am feeding everything the right data?
2) When I was in the Kestrel (Ballistics mode) looking at the MV I saw that MV-Temp was off. This should be on correct?

Are you using DSF?

I personally leave MV Temp ON

Kestrel gets you pretty close, I've been happy with my results.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Hey guys,

I rarely if ever true MV. That was something left over from when chronographs were not that accurate. Typically if your scope height input is accurate, and you get a good velocity from an accurate chrono like a Magnetospeed, and your firing direction is input correctly, you are simply truing BC. Long range .22 (or ELR in general) can be a bit different and you may need to play with DSF to get everything trued up, but inside 200 yards is probably not far enough to require tuning with DSF.

And yes, kestrel plus applied ballistics should be that good!

Play with changing velocity up and down 50 fps, but adjust BC to give you the same solution at 200. It will give you an idea how the software “bends” the trajectory / bullet path. All we are doing by tweaking those values is bending the curve to match the actual flight. DSF is something different, as it “forces” bends in the trajectory curve when the software doesn’t or can’t accurately predict the bullet flight due to the inherent limitations of how it solves for it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT
Thank you, Gents! I guess I was just suprised by the outcome! Reading your responces I'm thinking previous attempts were hampered by garbage in, garbage out! :LOL: Going back in the morning to burn up what's left of a partial box to verify. Thank you again!

Reactions: NiteQwill
I'm sure this is my poor search-fu or something, but can't seem to find the answer? Apologies for being dumb...

Does the KestrelLiNK Ballistics app back up things like DSF, bullet length (if input via Kestrel), etc? (ie, all of the stuff you can edit in the gun profile on the Kestrel itself that isn't reflected in the profile editor in the app?)