• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Is it possible in some next FW update for Kestrel 5700 elite add ballistics calculations from 0 meters? Kestrel do this from 30 meters. But sometimes i shoot to shorter distances than 30 meters and need to write ballistics table from 0 meters. Applied ballistics in mobile phones can do this but Kestrel not. Or am i wrong and can not set up this in Kestrel unit?

Hey guys, been using the Kestrel for 3 years now and love it. I have a question in regards to using the capture feature vs manual entry.

So what I do is set and leave my DOF at 12 oclock. I don't capture the target. I then manually enter my wind direction and speed. I will occasionally do wind readings but I still enter my min and max. My reasoning on this is because a lot of times where I'm shooting wind may be swirling and not going the direction it is really going 50 yards away from me.

Am I shorting myself using this method? Should I be capturing DOF and wind direction? Thanks

TTT

Well my Sig BDX and Kestrel are now talking to each other. It was operator error I had a setting muffed up. If you set Wind 1 to zero it will not display the Kestrel results on the Sig. Change Wind 1 to anything (Say 1 mph) and the results come up on the Sig display. I usually set the latitude to zero and Wind 1 to zero to take AJ and coriolis out of the solution.

Last edited:
I was told that 1.24 was not for the Elite...I think.

I usually get an update automatically but haven't seen any mention of it. Let me know if you get a chance
I do indeed have 1.24 on the Elite paired with the Leica 2800 —

Very happy with the minimal weight of the hole kit. Wish it had a couple of tweaks but happy

One of life's mysteries...LOL
Ya, AB is so much better than they were in the past with bugs and updates, even the profiles :).

But it would not suprise me if I had a combination of things that caused 1.24 to load. Either way it seems to be working well.

1.23 is the current version for ballistic firmware. 1.24 provides features for other non-ballistic Kestrel models. 1.24 could be loaded by usb, but was not supposed to load through the phone app to ballistic models, but if it does by accident no harm no foul.

Reactions: Diver160651
1.23 is the current version for ballistic firmware. 1.24 provides features for other non-ballistic Kestrel models. 1.24 could be loaded by usb, but was not supposed to load through the phone app to ballistic models, but if it does by accident no harm no foul.

Thank you for letting us know

Ok, likely a noob question but I cannot find it in my searching.

Is there a difference in the Ballistics App between the Elite and the Sportsman? I have a Sportsman, and wondering if upgrading to the Elite os worth it. I only shoot two Calibers with this Kestrel and my target load doesnt change. I dont need the custom drag stuff, as I true all my BC’s.
Is there more information to input with the elite version that helps with better consistency at 1000+ yards, or is the info input the same, just the number of guns and custom drag stuff added?

Hi
I'm using Kestrel 4500 without Bluetooth аnd ballistics and having the same issues with battery drain at not very cold temperatures. as described earlier in this thread. So no power leakage due to any background processes. At temps like a little more than zero Celsius it starts going crazy and showing 30-40% with absolutely new batteries.
I'm using Energizer ultimate lithium. System config(menu): lithium.

This weekend put new pair of batteries. They showed voltage 1.7V both. Worked fine while were relatively warm from the pocket. After some time (say 30 minutes) at T=+5C started hanging and I needed to open the battery compartment to reload it several times. Sometimes it even stops metering wind speed until reloading. Screen shows wind speed 0m/s while impeller is rotating.

If to put it to the pocket for some time then it starts and works fine till getting cold again.... But that "cold" is not even minus 5C...

Is it a rule?
Did anybody experience the same 4500 behavior at temps below zero or even at slightly above zero?
Are there workarounds?
Can it be device malfunction or it just due to batteries?

Thanks.

Ok, likely a noob question but I cannot find it in my searching.

Is there a difference in the Ballistics App between the Elite and the Sportsman? I have a Sportsman, and wondering if upgrading to the Elite os worth it. I only shoot two Calibers with this Kestrel and my target load doesnt change. I dont need the custom drag stuff, as I true all my BC’s.
Is there more information to input with the elite version that helps with better consistency at 1000+ yards, or is the info input the same, just the number of guns and custom drag stuff added?
The Elite has custom curves and Drop Scale Factor, both of which are designed to improve the Kestrel's solutions at transsonic distances. Determine if you will be shooting supersonic (Sportsman or update firmware to 5700) or transsonic (Elite).

Hi
I'm using Kestrel 4500 without Bluetooth аnd ballistics and having the same issues with battery drain at not very cold temperatures. as described earlier in this thread. So no power leakage due to any background processes. At temps like a little more than zero Celsius it starts going crazy and showing 30-40% with absolutely new batteries.
I'm using Energizer ultimate lithium. System config(menu): lithium.

This weekend put new pair of batteries. They showed voltage 1.7V both. Worked fine while were relatively warm from the pocket. After some time (say 30 minutes) at T=+5C started hanging and I needed to open the battery compartment to reload it several times. Sometimes it even stops metering wind speed until reloading. Screen shows wind speed 0m/s while impeller is rotating.

If to put it to the pocket for some time then it starts and works fine till getting cold again.... But that "cold" is not even minus 5C...

Is it a rule?
Did anybody experience the same 4500 behavior at temps below zero or even at slightly above zero?
Are there workarounds?
Can it be device malfunction or it just due to batteries?

Thanks.
What firmware are you running?

So I’ve read through most of this thread and it seems like there’s a few things you need to do to get the Kestrel 5700 to output accurate solutions.
1. Only place wind speed in the WS2 category and leave the WS1 blank to eliminate the addition of aerodynamic jump to the solution?
2. Place the latitude to 0 or 1 to eliminate Coriolus effect?
3. Use the BC of the bullet and not the CDM and tweak the velocity to get data to line up with real world if shooting in the supersonic range?
Basically I’m just trying to get a condensed, this is what you need to do guide, so I can get the best info from the unit. So are my three steps the current suggested steps to get the most out of the unit? Thanks

So I’ve read through most of this thread and it seems like there’s a few things you need to do to get the Kestrel 5700 to output accurate solutions.
1. Only place wind speed in the WS2 category and leave the WS1 blank to eliminate the addition of aerodynamic jump to the solution?
3. Use the BC of the bullet and not the CDM and tweak the velocity to get data to line up with real world if shooting in the supersonic range?
Basically I’m just trying to get a condensed, this is what you need to do guide, so I can get the best info from the unit. So are my three steps the current suggested steps to get the most out of the unit? Thanks

If you are in the camp that most everyone posting on this knows more about ballistics than Brian Litz and his company Applied Ballistics, then yes do all the above. Otherwise set up the Kestrel per the instructions and go shoot. If you have consistent error, then look for your solution.

I have not seen folks saying to NOT use the CDM, but you still need to tweak MV and remove chrono uncertainty.

How do you account for angle of inclination on the 5700 Elite when getting dope on a range that is on an uphill incline?
The range I am at goes uphill at a 7 degree incline. I obtained dope from 100 to 1000yds. Now how do I factor the 7deg when I shoot elesewhere that is flat? For example, I have a match this weekend at a flat range (0 degree incline). At this match, whenever I input my target info, do I subtract 7 degrees for the field “Ideg” on the Kestrel?
Is there a way I can just input the 7deg in my zero conditions so I wouldn’t have to make any adjustments when shooting elsewhere?

Thanks,
Napoleon

Running v152 Kestrel LiNK app on iOS. Start it up, connects with my Kestrel, select Single Target Engagement, screen switches over then closes. I've restarted several times, no change. Any ideas?

How do you account for angle of inclination on the 5700 Elite when getting dope on a range that is on an uphill incline?
The range I am at goes uphill at a 7 degree incline. I obtained dope from 100 to 1000yds. Now how do I factor the 7deg when I shoot elesewhere that is flat? For example, I have a match this weekend at a flat range (0 degree incline). At this match, whenever I input my target info, do I subtract 7 degrees for the field “Ideg” on the Kestrel?
Is there a way I can just input the 7deg in my zero conditions so I wouldn’t have to make any adjustments when shooting elsewhere?

Thanks,
Napoleon
Ideally you would zero on a level area and use inclination for your shots that were not level. If you check your Kestrel you will find the difference between 0 and 7 degrees of inclination at 100 yds is about 0.01 mil, not enough to worry about. Inclination has little effect up to around 6 degrees, and you are about there. You could always re-zero at the level range, but a 1000 yard shot will only be different by 0.06 mil and probably not worth chasing.

Running v152 Kestrel LiNK app on iOS. Start it up, connects with my Kestrel, select Single Target Engagement, screen switches over then closes. I've restarted several times, no change. Any ideas?
Try this, make sure all your profiles are on the Kestrel and then delete the app. Download the app fresh and see if that fixes it.

I have the Kestrel elite 5700 with link. Had been pairing fine with my Galaxy S9, but now will not pair with the Kestrel link program when meter is on ballistic. The meter does pair with Shooter when used as a weather meter. I did recently update the software. It says software version, Build 157. Any advice?

Check to be sure you S9 does not show it Bluetooth paired with any other device. Check to be sure Kestrel Bluetooth is on and set to PC/mobile and PIN is off. If that does not fix it, delete the app on the S9 and reload it. Let me know if it continues.

I am running a non/BT 4500, version 4.93 with the version 70 Profile loader and am unable to download the profiles from my Kestrel to the PC. It it shows I am connected and that it is initiating download but it never downloads. I did not have this issue with V60 and the cable has always been very reliable. I checked that the unit was on, batteries good...etc. Any idea on what the issue could be?

Stupid question coming. I just got my 5700 elite in December. How do I update to fw1.25 when it comes out. Thanks

Stupid question coming. I just got my 5700 elite in December. How do I update to fw1.25 when it comes out. Thanks
When you connect your Kestrel to your phone app, the app will check the version of fw and ask if you want to update it. It is sort of up to the phone to decide when your Kestrel gets the update as there are a lot of Kestrels needing the file transfer.

To be useable, it would make the device a hack of a lot bigger than it is, and I want no part of that. Phones have already gotten hilariously and rediculously large as it is . . . That, and I find an actual tactile interface far easier to use with far less chance for error. (Example: The tablet/touchscreen I am writing this on has required close to 10 edits for errors . . . . it would have been one or zero on an actual keyboard . . . )

Im just wondering, but is there a reason the upgrade from 5700 to 5700 Elite is not able to he performed through the same means as our firmware updates. Just seems like a waste of $40+shipping (canadian) to buy a dongle to add a handful of additional features.

Upgrades are done by Kestrel serial number so the upgrade software is coded to the unit and sent to the user. There is a lot of programming to work that out via the phone app, so while it is on the wish list, it falls behind other enhancements for now.

Reactions: Airw4ves
1.25 update?

I have firmware 1.24 on my 5700 but when I connect to the app. it says my firmware is up to date.. Any idea short of factory reset? maybe I am not getting what post #188 is saying

May be nothing more than a coincidence but I'll pass this on. I tried updating for a while yesterday. App was open and then turned on the Kestrel...coudn't get the update menu to come up and tried 5 times.

Turned off the app and Kestrel. Turned the Kestrel on first and turned on the app. The app immediately connected to the Kestrel and I got the update menu.

Maybe worth a try

I got a question, and maybe it might have the answer somewhere else.
is there any way to connect my kestrel link to my foretrex 701?
this would be great if this will work.

I have firmware version 1.21 on my 5700 elite. No Bluetooth. Is there any reason to update my firmware if I’m not having any issues? I have the dongle for connecting to a pc but haven’t used it