• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Meters Ballistics Official Thread

Please be aware that Kestrel firmware version 1.48 is now available. Please make sure you save any gun profiles currently on the Kestrel in the app or AB Profile Loader before proceeding with the update. Also note that some of these features will require you to update the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and/or HUD Firmware for them to work properly. Here is a list of the main changes with this update: https://kestrelballistics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/1131 We hope you enjoy these new features and we welcome any feedback. Thanks!

I had connected to my Kestrel moments before seeing the update to this thread and noticed a FW update was available. These updates look pretty nice.

Updating FW now.

Last edited:
Just FYI, post upgrade. I had one gun profile saved on the Kestrel which was also in the app along with all my other profiles. The single profile on the Kestrel is gone and is also gone in the app. All others are still in the app.

Please be aware that Kestrel firmware version 1.48 is now available. Please make sure you save any gun profiles currently on the Kestrel in the app or AB Profile Loader before proceeding with the update. Also note that some of these features will require you to update the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app and/or HUD Firmware for them to work properly. Here is a list of the main changes with this update: https://kestrelballistics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/1131 We hope you enjoy these new features and we welcome any feedback. Thanks!
Just updated. Smooth a silk…..

Where'd you see that at?

Some SHOT posts and also the link below.

My flight gets into vegas at 6p tomorrow. So I’ll check it out Thursday.

Reactions: Dooby
Some SHOT posts and also the link below.

My flight gets into vegas at 6p tomorrow. So I’ll check it out Thursday.

Ah, cool. Wasn't sure if it was rumors or if Kestrel had finally announced it. I haven't been keeping up with much out of SHOT today.

Need help with elavation on my kestrel. 5700 elite with AB. My property is surveyed at 43' and it says I'm in a whole. Negative 30-50 feet iirc. Don't have it on my right now. I've used it with a 22 to around 350 yards and my 308 out to 600 and never had an issue but I'm not sure about longer distances. Will be shooting for 1000 this weekend or further depending on what rifles I take to south Texas.

Need help with elavation on my kestrel. 5700 elite with AB. My property is surveyed at 43' and it says I'm in a whole. Negative 30-50 feet iirc. Don't have it on my right now. I've used it with a 22 to around 350 yards and my 308 out to 600 and never had an issue but I'm not sure about longer distances. Will be shooting for 1000 this weekend or further depending on what rifles I take to south Texas.
The Kestrel has no sensor for elevation, it can only calculate it - see user guide. Holds are calculated using station pressure:

To use your Kestrel to measure altitude changes (changes in station pressure associated with changes in elevation), you must enter a correct reference

value for your starting barometric pressure. Accurate altitude readings depend on stable, weather-related barometric air pressure while measurements are taken.

Synched values between the Altitude and Barometer measurement screens allow reference value updates on either screen to automatically update reference values on the other. You cannot use your Kestrel as a barometer and altimeter simultaneously.

SETTING REFERENCE VALUES ON BARO MEASUREMENT SCREEN:

Scroll to the Baro measurement screen and select Settings.

Adjust either the Altitude or the Barometric Pressure value to a local, known value obtained from a mapping reference, GPS, or accurate weather station in the same location.

SETTING REFERENCE VALUES ON ALTITUDE MEASUREMENT SCREEN:

Scroll to the ALTITUDE measurement screen and select Settings.

Adjust either the Altitude or the Barometric Pressure value to a local, known value obtained from a mapping reference, GPS, or accurate weather station in the same location.

I suggest reading the whole article before adjusting it:

Reactions: aam and XP1K
To be clear (because I'm dumb...)... you only need to following the process of setting a reference altitude or barometric pressure if you want/need the Kestrel to show accurate altitude information? That's not a requirement for ballistic calculations, because those are made solely from the measured station pressure?

To be clear (because I'm dumb...)... you only need to following the process of setting a reference altitude or barometric pressure if you want/need the Kestrel to show accurate altitude information? That's not a requirement for ballistic calculations, because those are made solely from the measured station pressure?
Yes. Any changes on the weather side have no effect on the ballistics side. And the ballistics side is always using station pressure and no adjustments are needed, no matter where you go.

I'm sure something about this is in this thread somewhere but could someone tell me how I get the custom drag curve for a particular bullet and get it in my kestrel? I have link and the app btw.

Build your profile in the app and touch the "Select From Bullet Library" button and then select your bullet. If there is a custom curve it will be listed on a pop-up screen along with G1 and G7, select the AB Custom and you have the custom drag curve. This is for Elite model only.
Ok I see. I didn't know that was a button that I could push inside the profile page. Thank you!!!

I'm just a little slow but I'm a pretty nice guy...

It is absolutely amazing that we can have this little device and do this, then when we have any questions, come on here and get answers by experts anytime we choose to. Just really awesome and very much appreciated!!! @Kestrel Ballistics

Last edited:
One more question, can I true my gun profile for this bullet without being at 85-95% of supersonic range? Or is it just adjusting the curve if I did it at say 500 yards? If I adjust anything I assume it will keep the rest of the curve I imported for that bullet and only apply my adjustments right?

The closer you get to the number suggested on the Cal MV page the more accurate the results. True at 500 yds and it should be good to that distance but it may not be very good at further distances.
I understand. Thank you for timely help so much ! I may have to wait until I go see @CR2 SS and @lowlight in about 30 days for the night class to true it out to 95%supersonic range.

I do not get update with app. App scans firmware but it doesn't offer new one. Device is 5700 elite AB. Under menu about says FW version 1.47. Also tried factory reset and android and iOS apps.

I also tried with regular Link APP witch you can check FW but it says its up to date.

I do not get update with app. App scans firmware but it doesn't offer new one. Device is 5700 elite AB. Under menu about says FW version 1.47. Also tried factory reset and android and iOS apps.

I also tried with regular Link APP witch you can check FW but it says its up to date.
If update doesn't happen, call 800-784-4221 and we can try some workarounds.

@Kestrel Ballistics

Just picked up a 2700 to use as a dedicated wind vane. Couple issues:

- wind vane mode isn’t showing up in the single target screen as per the manual

- link app crashes when I attempt to update the 2700

Link app is showing up to date in the App Store.

Thoughts?

Thanks

@Kestrel Ballistics

Thoughts?

Thanks
Depending on the firmware you might need the legacy Link app.

@Kestrel Ballistics

Thoughts?

Thanks
Double check they are connected and working. Once connected and showing current profile the wind vane mode should be on the top right, but it is slow to show up. If still no turn 2700 off and then hold down both arrow buttons then press the center button to start the 2700 and you will see 2 lines of info. The second line should read 10.2, the current fw version?

Double check they are connected and working. Once connected and showing current profile the wind vane mode should be on the top right, but it is slow to show up. If still no turn 2700 off and then hold down both arrow buttons then press the center button to start the 2700 and you will see 2 lines of info. The second line should read 10.2, the current fw version?

I believe I got it working after power cycling the phone a few times, deleting all, and reinstalling.

Reactions: Kestrel Ballistics
My kestrel is a Conx Sportsman updated to 5700 Elite.

Went in to update firmware....looks like I am still running 1.41

Got this screen......still 1.41. Any help you can provide?

1647114915418.png

My kestrel is a Conx Sportsman updated to 5700 Elite.

Went in to update firmware....looks like I am still running 1.41

Got this screen......still 1.41. Any help you can provide?

View attachment 7826317
In the main Kestrel LiNK window click Help>Update your Kestrel

You will then get another window with a link for the latest firmware. Download and run the exe.

When you then reconnect your Kestrel and click Manage it should have the newer firmware version available.

Reactions: pmclaine
In the main Kestrel LiNK window click Help>Update your Kestrel

You will then get another window with a link for the latest firmware. Download and run the exe.

When you then reconnect your Kestrel and click Manage it should have the newer firmware version available.

Worked as stated.... thank you.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Does anyone know a way to move my Kestrel Link data from an iPhone app to an Android app? Do I just have to manually reenter all my guns or is there a better way?

Thanks!!

So crazy experience with my Kestrel last weekend at a PRS match.

First stage of the day, dial my dope at 4.9 mils for the yardage but then I'm overhearing everyone talking about dialing 3.x mils. Double check my Kestrel gun profile.... "6.5 Creed 136". What the heck? I don't even own a 6.5 Creed and I wouldn't shoot 136's at 2594 fps if I did. All my gun profiles gone, replaced with profiles for guns I don't own. Even my windspeed settings were changed from MPH to FPS. Luckily I remember my rifle details so I manually built a new gun profile and was able to shoot the match.

So I'm 95% sure I didn't swap Kestrels with someone. Did someone bluetooth overwrite my entire Kestrel on accident? The firing line for zero range was pretty crowded so could have happened there.

Last edited:

First stage of the day, dial my dope at 4.9 mils for the yardage but then I'm overhearing everyone talking about dialing 3.x mils. Double check my Kestrel gun profile.... "6.5 Creed 136". What the heck? I don't even own a 6.5 Creed and I wouldn't shoot 136's at 2594 fps if I did. All my gun profiles gone, replaced with profiles for guns I don't own. Even my windspeed settings were changed from MPH to FPS. Luckily I remember my rifle details so I manually built a new gun profile and was able to shoot the match.

So I'm 95% sure I didn't swap Kestrels with someone. Did someone bluetooth overwrite my entire Kestrel on accident? The firing line for zero range was pretty crowded so could have happened there.
Oh I'm using that one at my first match for sure!!!

Reactions: TACC and Sheldon N

Turn off Bluetooth, and when you do turn it on to sync profiles, make sure you're using the PIN access for security.

Turn off Bluetooth, and when you do turn it on to sync profiles, make sure you're using the PIN access for security.
If you use Privacy PIN On, remember to turn to off before a fw update. The app will not be able to connect to the Kestrel after restart and it will fail to load the profiles back to the Kestrel if left in on.

Now that is some curious stuff right there.

At least I would have had an excuse for not hitting the targets!

Reactions: Sheldon N
I currently have a Kestrel 5700X. I just recently received a Vudoo three 60. While building my new gun profile when I select my bullet in the app for Center-X there are 6 different PDM's; 264, LemkeGLF1, Platz GLF1, PlatzGLF3, ScholtensCGL, and VerranGLF1. How do I know which one to select? Is there somewhere to review the data on these PDM's so that I select the correct one?

I currently have a Kestrel 5700X. I just recently received a Vudoo three 60. While building my new gun profile when I select my bullet in the app for Center-X there are 6 different PDM's; 264, LemkeGLF1, Platz GLF1, PlatzGLF3, ScholtensCGL, and VerranGLF1. How do I know which one to select? Is there somewhere to review the data on these PDM's so that I select the correct one?
those are PDMs from individual people/rifles not standard CDMs

New User - Kestrel 5700 w/Link.
Probably doing something dumb.
Downloaded App for Kestrel on Iphone - put all data into the app and sent to kestrel.
Tried to 'mirror image' the data in the "shooter' App and the Kestrel program. Cam up with data that isnt what it should be
ran 600 yards for a Rem700 1/11.5" bbl, 175 Berger BTHP (30420) and used a G7 BC of .262
MV of 2636 fps. used zero wind, same temps, humidity, altitude.
Shooter AP program with same weather dats as in Kestrel shows Elevation of 15.0 MOA
Kestrel Ballistics shows 14.29 MOA
For 300 yards
Shooter program shows U4.7 moa which matched the target hits vs
Kestrel U3.93 MOA

Am sure I am missing something - suggestions welcome

Downloaded App for Kestrel on Iphone - put all data into the app and sent to kestrel.
Tried to 'mirror image' the data in the "shooter' App and the Kestrel program. Cam up with data that isnt what it should be
ran 600 yards for a Rem700 1/11.5" bbl, 175 Berger BTHP (30420) and used a G7 BC of .262
Shooter AP program with same weather dats as in Kestrel shows Elevation of 15.0 MOA
For 300 yards
Kestrel U3.93 MOA

Scope height the same in both apps?

ETA:
Also check that one isn't in Meters instead of Yards.

For 300 yards
Kestrel U3.93 MOA

Zero weather, bore height, DA, something... there's a variable that's off.
They'll never line up dead nuts, but they'll most always be within a 10th or so in my random experience.

Protip: Fastforward some brain damage. Start using the kestrel, true it to your gun/ammo, and never look back.
Pick one tool. Use it.

Reactions: parshal
For 300 yards
Kestrel U3.93 MOA

Be sure to True your MV to get best results- see the video https://kestrelballistics.com/schoolhouse

Be sure to True your MV to get best results- see the video https://kestrelballistics.com/schoolhouse
Also verify what you transfer to the kestrel from the app.

I was creating a new 6gt profile and when I transferred to the kestrel it was getting reset to 308 vs 6mm. I noticed this when I transferred the profiles back to the app. I ended up making the modifications on the kestrel transferred back to the app, this worked fine.

Following this process?:
1. Turn Environment to Live
2. Highlight TGT, hold the Kestrel out in front of you looking at the target and press and release the button with red line to begin DOF compass acquisition. Press/release button again once the compass stabilizes.
3. Down arrow so underline is on Wind, open impeller door and hold the kestrel back directly into the wind and press and release the button with the red line to capture wind direction (you can watch the compass / clock heading change to ensure it is working) after 5 second or so press/release the button and you will have completed the process. Remember the wind heading is relative to the target heading, which is 0 degrees for the wind. Also, if the compass heading is moving as you take the readings, it is working, small adjustments in your wrist can tilt the Kestrel and change the angle you are reading.

the same issues

Hi! My 5700 Elite shows wrong direction in Wind capture mode.

1. Switch ToF capture mode ON
2. Capture the target.
3. Switch ToF capture mode OFF
4. Switch wind capture mode On
5. Capture wind direction. I point the Kestrel strictly at 9 o'clock

But Kestrel shows 6.30-7 o'clock

this happens all the time. Wrong wind angle.

I have calibrated the compass several times. Latest firmware

Can you help me?

Last edited:
Zero weather, bore height, DA, something... there's a variable that's off.
They'll never line up dead nuts, but they'll most always be within a 10th or so in my random experience.

Protip: Fastforward some brain damage. Start using the kestrel, true it to your gun/ammo, and never look back.
Pick one tool. Use it.
.1 is fine, but .7 is a bit much for 1st round hit expatiation. and yes the wind is a factor 600 yds away - but at least need an accurate elevation to start.
Thanks for the reply!