• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Kill a Groundhog - Feed an Eagle

Dennis_in_VA

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Went Groundhoggin' today with my shootin' partner John.
I got dibs on the first shot and managed to drop this ol' boy with one shot @ 352 yards.
Well not ten minutes later a group of Buzzards came in to the free meal.
We watched and shot some video footage of the clean up crew. They hung around for about 45 minutes then they all took off. I had noticed, out of the corner of my eye, what I thought was a Buzzard with some white features. Well when I put the optics on it, I was surprised to see that it was a Bald Eagle.
Well it just came on down, cautiously approached the Groundhog and started having it way with it.
John was shooting footage with his Video camera and I thought "Hey, get some thru the scope footage", so I did my best with my point and shoot thru the scope.

Hope y'all like it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOrn00paqoo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOrn00paqoo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

ETA:
I was using my 700SPS in 223 spitting out 55gr Blitzking @ 3300 fps.
John was using his Savage 22-250 putting 50gr Vmaxes to good use.

Re: Kill a Groundhog - Feed an Eagle

I have never seen a Bald eagle in the wild except for the Eastern/Coastal regions of VA or when I went to Ketchikan, AK.

We were having a good time observing the Eagle getting an easy meal. There were two of them but only one would come to feed at a time.

We are going to have to get a better video set-up. John said that his footage was grainy (due to digital zoom).

Where were you hunting Dennis? I've seen one or two Bald Eagles while fishing on Claytor Lake. So there are a few around, wish there were more.

Very nice! We see lots of eagles feasting in the p. dog towns after we've stopped shooting. I got within 20 yards of a huge golden one day that had gorged itself so fully on dead p. dogs that it couldn't fly away. It just sat there and looked at me.

cool video if you were in california would probably get thrown in jail for trying to give the eagle lead poisioning. stupid calif politics!