• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

If I'm not mistaken you will have until Wednesday the 12th before the price goes up. If it helps you can think of the SOTIC as a TRG with some refinements and a world class barrel mounted into a fully adjustable Whiskey-3. Good luck with your choice!
Justin

Reactions: Basher
In that case, I'm out. I won't be able to raise all of the funds necessary before then, so I suppose I'll have to try to snag one off the used market, or save for one at full retail. Probably be awhile before I'll get the chance at either, I'm afraid, so I'll add it to my list and slowly work towards it. Oh well, life goes on! I'll hopefully see more reviews and feedback from folks as more of them find their way into the hands of end users, as the lack of such feedback or any detailed info on the rifle/action (even from you guys, no promo videos or anything out there that I could find, other than SHOT stuff from earlier this year) kept me from moving forward on things sooner. But it's good to have goals to work towards, eh? ;)

You can come down to the center of the universe and demo mine when it arrives for the small fee of teaching me how to use it ;). I don’t have the background to do a review worth a damn.

I’m a sucker. I saw American made TRG custom with an assembled cost less than the components and I was in. Really looking forward to it. Especially at a <10 lb weight.

You can come down to the center of the universe and demo mine when it arrives for the small fee of teaching me how to use it ;). I don’t have the background to do a review worth a damn.

I’m a sucker. I saw American made TRG custom with an assembled cost less than the components and I was in. Really looking forward to it. Especially at a <10 lb weight.

Well, if you're a sucker, than I am too because I did the same exact thing. I added up what the parts used in the SOTIC would cost to buy individually (I ballparked the action at $1200 which is probably low) and it came out to less than the completed rifle even if I assembled it myself. At $3k, this is a great deal.

Also, here's something refreshing; when I placed my order, I was told the rifle would ship in 2 to 4 weeks. Well, I just got my shipping notice and tomorrow would have marked exactly 4 weeks, so KRG actually met their original target date. There's something that doesn't happen very often in this industry.

Thank you KRG for showing some professionalism. One of the reasons I decided to purchase from you was because of your reputation for being a class outfit and you didn't disappoint. Looking forward to sharing my impressions when I receive the rifle.

@Massoud , Thanks for the time today. I was like several on this thread! I have a TRG22 and a Tikka T3x-TacA1. I was thinking of saving for a new custom build or working up one of my current ones, but for this intro price I decided to jump in on this whole rifle with the Chanlynn barrel. Can't wait to run it!

Aaagghh, wishing I'd have better allocated funds now. This thing has been constantly on my mind the past week-ish, moreso now that I know I'll miss out. Doh!!

Justin, when are you expecting the .223 bolts to be available? Thank you

We expected them about 5 months ago or more honestly. We're still waiting.

Thanks everyone for your business. I think time will prove that you chose well, partly because we'll do what we can to make sure they always perform for you.

Justin

I just looked at KRGs website and saw that the SOTIC is now listed as "out of stock". It's also listed at almost $2k more than the recent promo price. Glad I took the plunge when I did. Looks like a lot of other people did as well. I wonder how many units they sold.

Anyway, mine is in transit and scheduled to arrive at my ffl dealer on the 19th, just in time for Christmas. It will sure look nice under the tree!

Reactions: DJL2 and smcgt
Picked up my SOTIC yesterday and just finished installing the optics, muzzle brake and bipod.

I borrowed the Steiner 5x25x56 off my TRG-22 and it was an easy drop-in switch. Didn't even need to loosen the rings. Just pulled it off my TRG rail and dropped it on the SOTIC rail for a perfect fit. I screwed on a PVA Jet Blast brake and attached a Cyke bipod and she's ready to rock. The whole process only took 10 minutes. The weight fully dressed out as described including a magazine (empty) is just under 15 lbs. Not what I would call "light weight", but not a pig either. It balances quite well with the center of gravity being just forward of the mag well.

I gotta say, this is an awesome looking rifle! The pics I saw of it online just don't do it justice. The fit and finish are perfect. The machining is impeccable and the lines and overall appearance are outstanding. Every detail seems to have been truly thought out. It's obvious that KRG took their time on this project and did not try to rush it into production. Looking at the SOTIC side by side to my TRG, the SOTIC just looks better made and generally higher quality.

The barrel is a Brux, 6.5 Creedmoor. I've never owned a Brux before, but have only heard good things about them. Can't wait to get it out to the range, although that might be a while. If it shoots as good as it looks, I will be deliriously happy.

The trigger is great and feels every bit as good as my TRG trigger, maybe even better. Once again, visually at least, the SOTICs trigger looks like a higher quality piece than the TRGs. It's fully adjustable, but feels perfect as is. Doubt I'll even mess with it.

This is the first time I've handled a Whiskey 3 chassis. So far, I really like the ergonomics and it feels rock solid. The adjustments are easy to change and set and I absolutely love the thumb shelf. It feels very comfortable and natural when I get behind it.

If I where blindfolded and worked the bolt on both rifles (the TRG and the SOTIC), I couldn't tell by the feel which was which. They feel identical to me which is a huge compliment to the SOTIC considering the TRG has the silkiest bolt throw of any rifle I have ever owned. Both rifles have a slightly heavy bolt lift due to being three lug/60 degree designs, but the SOTIC brand new feels just as smooth as my TRG which is well broken in having a few thousand rounds through it.

The SOTIC has so far surpassed my expectations in terms of design, quality, feel and appearance when compared to my TRG. The true test however, will be at the range. If the SOTIC can match or exceed the accuracy of my TRG (which was an honest to god 3/8" or better shooter), then it will qualify in my eyes as a genuine world class rifle.

I guess that sums it up for now. More to come after some range time.

Im really interested in this set up, please keep the reviews coming in.
I was planning a Badger m2013 or Sako TRG 22 and W3 chassis as my next match gun, but I might just have to order one of these when the 6mmCM is available.

FYI we do have a 6mm CM and a .260 Rem SOTIC barreled action built up that could be finished to your choice of color and fixed/folding configuration. Eventually we'll offer 6CM as a regular option, probably not .260 though.
Justin

Sadly, UPS has let me down. Quoted me a two week ship time and then came back and said “our bad, it’s actually going to be even longer.” No SOTIC for Christmas here, nor even for New Year’s. That means I won’t get to shoot it on leave...which means I have no idea when I’ll actually get it to the range. On the bright side, I guess I’ll have plenty of time to figure out what height rings to use and whether I want to burn $400 on an ISMS.

Sadly, UPS has let me down. Quoted me a two week ship time and then came back and said “our bad, it’s actually going to be even longer.” No SOTIC for Christmas here, nor even for New Year’s. That means I won’t get to shoot it on leave...which means I have no idea when I’ll actually get it to the range. On the bright side, I guess I’ll have plenty of time to figure out what height rings to use and whether I want to burn $400 on an ISMS.
That seems rediculously long for a UPS delivery. They initially quoted me seven days, then changed it to eight, but actually delivered it in five. I'm betting you get it much sooner then they are saying. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Gents, you’re not wrong - that’s absolutely stupid long for UPS - and yet, that’s exactly what they quoted. 02 January, initially, adjusted to 03 January. This for a rifle that shipped last week. C’est la vie. Hopefully, I share your luck.

Fröhe Weihnachten.

It looks like UPS decided to take it easy this Holiday season. My SOTIC wasn’t picked up at all on the 20th, when it did move on the 21st, it went to Boise (distro center) and sat for two days. It then moved to Salt Lake City - it arrived the morning of the 24th and, understandably, is still sitting there.

Any that were fully paid for and that we had FFL's for were ready to ship on Monday the 24th but UPS didn't show for the pick up. We're closed now so they should go out next Monday. Sorry to all that are waiting.
Justin

Thanks UPS...NOT. I got my UPS shipping confirmation on the 24th. What a TEASE :)
Not your fault @Massoud !
Thanks for the updates.

Had my first range session yesterday. I'll post up some details later today when I have some time.

Till then, quick question; does the sotic firing pin work ok with small primer brass? I used large primer brass yesterday and it shot just fine but want to know if small primer brass is an option.

Got my SOTIC out yesterday for the first time. Temp was 42 degrees, light winds. Range conditions were not great due to being pretty crowded. The range has one continuous shooting bench, so movements and shots from other shooters cause the bench to shake enough to negatively affect accuracy. In addition, I was politely interrupted several times from other shooters who wanted to check out the rifle. None had ever seen or even heard of a SOTIC before. The SOTIC definitely generates some buzz on the shooting line. I also paused a few times between groups for break-in bore cleaning. I tried a few different hold techniques to get a feel for what the rifle seemed to like best. I shot a couple groups off sandbags and the rest off a bipod. The bipod seemed the more accurate way to go. All things considered, this session should not be thought of as a conclusive test of accuracy.

I didn't chronograph anything since I was shooting in the late afternoon. My chronograph doesn't give reliable data when the sun is at a low angle.

I rarely shoot factory ammo, but decided to try out some Hornady 140gr ELD-M to get a baseline, and also because all my 6.5 Creed brass is pretty beat up right now due several passes through my AR-10. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Hornady ammo shot.

Best group (6 shots) measured .316". The worst .842". Average was a little over 1/2 moa. With better conditions, no interruptions and some additional familiarity with the rifle, I'm confident it will easily average sub 1/2 moa with factory ammo. Typically, my handloads are better than factory match ammo, so once I find a load it likes, I think it will hang right with my TRG in the 3/8" range. It's also worth mentioning that this was my first time shooting in over 3 months, so I'm a bit rusty. Plus, nearly all my bolt gun shooting last season was with my DTA, so getting behind a more traditional setup felt a little awkward. This is in no way a reflection on the Whiskey III chassis. Anyone who shoots a DTA a lot will know what I mean.

The action felt smooth for being brand new, but I did have a couple failures to feed. All were on the last round in the mag which is the Accurate Magazine it came with. Might just be a break in issue or the mag might need a little adjustment. Only other hitch was brass bouncing back into the action upon ejection which appeared to be due to the brass hitting the rear scope ring. I have enough room on the base rail and the scope tube to move the ring back one notch. I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem. I'll report back on that later.

That's it for now. Hope to hear some reports soon from other OPs.

Had my first range session yesterday. I'll post up some details later today when I have some time.

Till then, quick question; does the sotic firing pin work ok with small primer brass? I used large primer brass yesterday and it shot just fine but want to know if small primer brass is an option.

I ran this question directly by KRG. They said the pin diameter is .068, so it should work ok, but they haven't actually tested it so they can't say for sure.

Whomever is first to try this, please let the rest of us know. I would give it try, but I don't have any small primer brass in hand.

I’d go for the Spuhr ISMS. I broke down and got one a few months ago for my TRG. Wish I would have done it sooner!

I went that route tonight - called Mile High and ordered the last ST-4701 they had in stock. By my reckoning, 34mm should be more than enough height to clear the bell with slope and the shorty shade on the optic. The ISMS should get me to subsonic range, at least. Honestly, I’d have gone with the hunting rings/base if Spuhr put some slope on them. I could have used the included 20 MOA pic rail, of course...I caved when considering the odd combination of over built and elegant design in the ISMS. I’ll now have fully three pounds of scope and mount riding a 9.5 lb rifle...not the heaviest, but certainly hefty. At some point, I’ll cave a get a bipod for it as well.

Now we wait...or, at least, I do.

I went that route tonight - called Mile High and ordered the last ST-4701 they had in stock. By my reckoning, 34mm should be more than enough height to clear the bell with slope and the shorty shade on the optic. The ISMS should get me to subsonic range, at least. Honestly, I’d have gone with the hunting rings/base if Spuhr put some slope on them. I could have used the included 20 MOA pic rail, of course...I caved when considering the odd combination of over built and elegant design in the ISMS. I’ll now have fully three pounds of scope and mount riding a 9.5 lb rifle...not the heaviest, but certainly hefty. At some point, I’ll cave a get a bipod for it as well.

Now we wait...or, at least, I do.
D8433A3B-E24D-485A-9B2D-CE146925608F.jpeg
AC05E255-8F5A-4314-8533-2C93FC00217A.jpeg

Reactions: kRcu
Looks good - I went with the 4701 because I figured seven mil was plenty. That assumes I don't need to dial a bunch to get on at 100.

Great looking rig!

How do you like the spigot mount? I'm thinking of ordering one for mine. Doesn't it really increase the stability?

Stability is increased by getting the bipod closer to the center line of the barrel and pushing the attachment point out further. Yes I like it.

Did you have to pull the barreled action to install it? Just curious, mine comes in soon and I’ve planned on adding the spigot mount

No, just remove the fore-end and the screws goes in from the bottom.

Is there an emoji that captures the feeling you experience when you refresh the tracking status of your already delayed UPS shipment only to find out that, instead of being delivered, it's been delayed another day?

First it sat in Boise with no action for two days (after they missed a P/U, costing an additional day).
Understandably, it didn't move on the 25th or 26th.
Then it required seven days to move 2000 mi from Salt Lake to Greensboro.
It arrived yesterday...and it's just gonna sit another day.

Damn it, I KNOW it's the Holiday Season and all...but...I suppose I should be happy about the transparency? At least I know where it is, right?

Did you have to pull the barreled action to install it? Just curious, mine comes in soon and I’ve planned on adding the spigot mount

You have to remove the bottom of the forend. Action doesn’t need to be removed. Should take about 10 minutes max

Is there an emoji that captures the feeling you experience when you refresh the tracking status of your already delayed UPS shipment only to find out that, instead of being delivered, it's been delayed another day?

First it sat in Boise with no action for two days (after they missed a P/U, costing an additional day).
Understandably, it didn't move on the 25th or 26th.
Then it required seven days to move 2000 mi from Salt Lake to Greensboro.
It arrived yesterday...and it's just gonna sit another day.

Damn it, I KNOW it's the Holiday Season and all...but...I suppose I should be happy about the transparency? At least I know where it is, right?
I guess I was lucky. Only 5 days shipping time for me and that was just before Christmas.

Hang in there, brother. It's worth the wait.

Well, Angels sang, the heavens parted and I picked it up today. Tomorrow I will be...putting new tires on the Jeep and going to a work social...next week I’ll mostly be jumping out of planes...maybe next weekend I can get to the range. That’ll be, hopefully, getting some chrono data and a “rough” zero. I’ve got an APA Little B* that’ll go on after the initial run - I’ll be using that as a control group. I’ll grab another set of chrono readings at 100 rds in, see how things are going...not really sure on proper interval after that. All this would have been easy, peasy a week or so ago, heh.

Reactions: smcgt and Tris
Well, Angels sang, the heavens parted and I picked it up today. Tomorrow I will be...putting new tires on the Jeep and going to a work social...next week I’ll mostly be jumping out of planes...maybe next weekend I can get to the range. That’ll be, hopefully, getting some chrono data and a “rough” zero. I’ve got an APA Little B* that’ll go on after the initial run - I’ll be using that as a control group. I’ll grab another set of chrono readings at 100 rds in, see how things are going...not really sure on proper interval after that. All this would have been easy, peasy a week or so ago, heh.

Yeah, but jumping out of planes is hella fun. I'd probably be OK waiting to shoot a new rifle in exchange for a week of that sort of fun!

Got out to the range for the second time with my SOTIC yesterday. I tried out some hand loads using 140 grain SMKs and varying loads of h4350 from 40.6 to 42.0 grains. I measured the distance to lands off the Hornady factory 140 gr eldm and replicated that on my hand loads. That turned out to be about .030" off the lands. Results were not great. 40.6 did ok at just under 1/2 moa, but the rest were pretty bad; 1 moa at best. My barrel just doesn't seem to like the Sierra 140.

Then I tried some more loads from my AR10. First off was Hornady 130 gr eldm with a couple different charges of vvn550. Again, results were unimpressive. Lastly, I tried 123 gr SMK with 41.6 gr of vvn550 and bingo! 5 shots measuring .277". So, hopefully i have at least one load that will shoot well in both rifles. I only brought 5 rounds to try. I'll verify on my next range session.

I'm going to order a few other 140 grain match bullets to try. Probably Berger hybrids, Hornady eldm and maybe Lapua Scenars and see how they do.

Any one else have any range feedback yet?

Got out to the range for the second time with my SOTIC yesterday. I tried out some hand loads using 140 grain SMKs and varying loads of h4350 from 40.6 to 42.0 grains. I measured the distance to lands off the Hornady factory 140 gr eldm and replicated that on my hand loads. That turned out to be about .030" off the lands. Results were not great. 40.6 did ok at just under 1/2 moa, but the rest were pretty bad; 1 moa at best. My barrel just doesn't seem to like the Sierra 140.

Then I tried some more loads from my AR10. First off was Hornady 130 gr eldm with a couple different charges of vvn550. Again, results were unimpressive. Lastly, I tried 123 gr SMK with 41.6 gr of vvn550 and bingo! 5 shots measuring .277". So, hopefully i have at least one load that will shoot well in both rifles. I only brought 5 rounds to try. I'll verify on my next range session.

I'm going to order a few other 140 grain match bullets to try. Probably Berger hybrids, Hornady eldm and maybe Lapua Scenars and see how they do.

Any one else have any range feedback yet?

Forgot to mention, I now have 80 rounds through the rifle. The action has smoothed out even more and the bolt lift has gotten noticeably lighter. It's now easy to run the bolt without significantly disturbing the rifle or breaking cheek weld. The action is slicker than goose shit. Also, I was right about the scope ring causing the brass to bounce back into the action. I switched to a Spurh 4701 and ejection is stout and clean, even if I run the bolt slowly. Whatever had caused the feeding problem with the last round in the mag also seems to have resolved itself. I didn't do anything different and feeding was 100% for the last 50 rounds.

One last observation. I love the fact that I can just throw a round in the open action and close the bolt with no fuss or having to manually start the bullet into the chamber. I can't do this with my TRG or my DTA. With both of those rifles, if the bullet isn't at least a little ways into the chamber, the metplat will jam against the base of the barrel making single loading a real pain in the ass. With the sotic, it's a breeze.

Reactions: stitch222
Another range day. All 5 shot groups at 100 yards from a bench using a Cyke bipod and rear squeeze bag.

Shot some more Hornady 140 gr ELD-M factory ammo and continue to be impressed with it.

This group was the first of the day with a clean and very cold (34 degrees outside) bore. This rifle has absolutely zero POI shift from a cold and/or non-fouled barrel.

Had several really tight 4 shot groups with the 5th (not in shot order) left about 1/2" out from the center of the group. I think it might be either a parallax issue or more likely a flaw in my technique. Like I said earlier, I'm a bit rusty.

I really like this rifle. It runs great and it's very comfortable to shoot.

UPS has been the gift that keeps on giving for me. By that, I mean that they required 3 weeks to ship a single tire to me so I could swap tires on my Jeep. That consumed my Saturday this week. They were also unable to deliver all the bits and pieces required to get my SOTIC operational prior to last Saturday, so when the tires didn't deliver I was unable to do either, pushing the tire install to this weekend. That's two more weekends of potential shooting lost.

I'm at work at the moment, thinking about my super ghetto 25 yard sight in target, range bag full of ammo, Magnetospeed, and rifle sitting at home. Assuming I get to the range sometime this century, I've got -

Hornady 140 gn American Gunner (cause even high end rifles need "plinking" ammo ;-) )
Hornady 147 gn ELD-M
SIG 140 gn OTM
Federal 130 gn Berger
Local 142 gn SMK

I think that's it for trip #1 when it comes. Plan is to "burn" 140 gn AG getting things dialed to 100 meters or so, grab some chrono data, then do a little inspect/clean, fire some groups to see if there's any obvious preferences, record some more chrono data if a load shows particular promise, throw on the APA brake, shoot some more. I expect I'll be at it for a while - I'll need to bring along another rifle to keep me occupied, probably my 6.8 or 6.5 G.

I played with the trigger adjustments a little - ultimately decided to leave the 1st stage as is and just back the 2nd stage off marginally...more or less as it came for both, really. I'm contemplating marking the cheek piece for consistency, since I need to remove it before removing the bolt. However, my left index finger at the second knuckle seems to be the correct height, so might not need to. The ST-4701 rides about as far forward in the dovetail as I can get away with for proper eye relief. It is difficult to see the bubble level, but perhaps it will prove easier in use/over time. Overall, balance point is at the magazine well...so, shouldn't change at all when loaded.

I do need to grab 140 gn ELD-M...not sure how I left that out.

I gave my 4 y/o son a block of instruction - bolt lift and magazine release are a challenge for him, but he at least understands how it all works.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
UPS has been the gift that keeps on giving for me. By that, I mean that they required 3 weeks to ship a single tire to me so I could swap tires on my Jeep. That consumed my Saturday this week. They were also unable to deliver all the bits and pieces required to get my SOTIC operational prior to last Saturday, so when the tires didn't deliver I was unable to do either, pushing the tire install to this weekend. That's two more weekends of potential shooting lost.

I'm at work at the moment, thinking about my super ghetto 25 yard sight in target, range bag full of ammo, Magnetospeed, and rifle sitting at home. Assuming I get to the range sometime this century, I've got -

Hornady 140 gn American Gunner (cause even high end rifles need "plinking" ammo ;-) )
Hornady 147 gn ELD-M
SIG 140 gn OTM
Federal 130 gn Berger
Local 142 gn SMK

I think that's it for trip #1 when it comes. Plan is to "burn" 140 gn AG getting things dialed to 100 meters or so, grab some chrono data, then do a little inspect/clean, fire some groups to see if there's any obvious preferences, record some more chrono data if a load shows particular promise, throw on the APA brake, shoot some more. I expect I'll be at it for a while - I'll need to bring along another rifle to keep me occupied, probably my 6.8 or 6.5 G.

I played with the trigger adjustments a little - ultimately decided to leave the 1st stage as is and just back the 2nd stage off marginally...more or less as it came for both, really. I'm contemplating marking the cheek piece for consistency, since I need to remove it before removing the bolt. However, my left index finger at the second knuckle seems to be the correct height, so might not need to. The ST-4701 rides about as far forward in the dovetail as I can get away with for proper eye relief. It is difficult to see the bubble level, but perhaps it will prove easier in use/over time. Overall, balance point is at the magazine well...so, shouldn't change at all when loaded.

I do need to grab 140 gn ELD-M...not sure how I left that out.

I gave my 4 y/o son a block of instruction - bolt lift and magazine release are a challenge for him, but he at least understands how it all works.
The cheek piece has little rubber o-rings on the posts. Once you determine the correct height, just roll the o-rings to that point on the posts and the height is now repeatable whenever you remove and reinstall the cheek piece.

I also have the ST-4701 as far forward on the receiver as possible (which is really just centered). I had to slide the scope as far forward as the rings would allow to get a good eye relief, but it works. Can't see the bubble without lifting my head off the stock. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

The bolt lift gets much lighter after just a few dozen rounds. I now have 125 rounds through mine and it's very smooth. Not quite as light as a 90 degree two lug, but still pretty nice.

Looking forward to hearing how you do with the different ammos you have. I'm going to try some more handloads when I get the chance. The 123 gr Sierras looked very promising.

By the way, what brand of barrel do you have on yours? Mine is a Brux.

Reactions: DJL2
The cheek piece has little rubber o-rings on the posts. Once you determine the correct height, just roll the o-rings to that point on the posts and the height is now repeatable whenever you remove and reinstall the cheek piece.

By the way, what brand of barrel do you have on yours? Mine is a Brux.

Your experience with the mount / scope mirrors mine. I'll at least give the o rings a chance before I go painting things.

6.5 CM, Broughton, 22 in., 1:8 I think... I'll need to double check the rifling.

Attachments

• 20190114_122135.jpg
    20190114_122135.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190112_184246.jpg
    20190112_184246.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 260
Your experience with the mount / scope mirrors mine. I'll at least give the o rings a chance before I go painting things.

6.5 CM, Broughton, 22 in., 1:8 I think... I'll need to double check the rifling.
Based on the freebore and distance to lands stamped on on your barrel, it looks like both our barrels were probably cut with the same reamer. By the way, the 8T marking means it's an 8 twist. Good chance that whatever shoots well in mine will also shoot well in yours, and vise versa.

Reactions: DJL2
I wrote a first look/mini review of a SOTIC in 308 that my Sponsor gave me to play with.

Since I had everything on hand to do load dev I did some very preliminary work up.

4G1F30I.jpg

The groups on the right (a .7XX and a .88X or something) were with unprepped lapua brass that had insanely high neck tension. The tension was so high I almost pulled the bench over when seating a bullet. Once I annealed the brass and expanded the necks the groups tightened up.