• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kinetic Research Group SOTIC?

@Massoud

Will the new T slot weight work with the enclosed forend? Thanks. Hoping you guys release them soon.

Unfortunately it will not. The Enclosed Forend protrudes up into the T-slot channel in the backbone and so interferes with the T-slot weight. You could try adding lead shot/epoxy into the lightening pockets in the backbone itself. If you put some release agent on the metal, you might even be able to remove the weighted epoxy if you wanted.

Justin

We do have some bare bodies. They ended up being horribly expensive so I don't know if they'll be coming available or not. For the price it probably won't make any sense for you guys.
Justin

600 rounds
2730 FPS

Attachments

• 9ED5B398-2714-4ADF-A0D3-3690B6081884.jpeg
    9ED5B398-2714-4ADF-A0D3-3690B6081884.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 9D9DEBBB-5198-466F-B0B6-3E5C47A920D9.jpeg
    9D9DEBBB-5198-466F-B0B6-3E5C47A920D9.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 176
Quick update: added the arca spigot, lop weight, weighted angled bag rider, backbone weight, and weighted barrier stop. Really like the barrier stop if not for just carrying the rifle around. I fit it between my index finger and middle finger, and is balanced really well. Went to the range and am still shooting 140 eldm Hornady match ammo, yet to get my reloading bench setup. Shot many small 5 round groups but always threw the fifth one. I imagine it’s more of the drivers fault on the shooting, but the gun is starting to break in very very nicely. Hope to do some load development coming up.

Attachments

• 73AB5D4F-CF15-45E6-AF6E-FBECED35FEB0.png
    73AB5D4F-CF15-45E6-AF6E-FBECED35FEB0.png
    798.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 091B6672-9BF6-4764-9692-35D8A5E6C2ED.jpeg
    091B6672-9BF6-4764-9692-35D8A5E6C2ED.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 73
No, just remove the fore-end and the screws goes in from the bottom.

@derek1ee - sorry to quote such an old reply, but wanted to ping you on this. For the life of me I've removed all the screws on the bottom half of the fore end of my Whiskey 3 (gen 6), the sling stud as well, but I cannot get the forend to slide out so I can mount the spigot. Any tips/suggestions or am I just that mechanically disabled?

@derek1ee - sorry to quote such an old reply, but wanted to ping you on this. For the life of me I've removed all the screws on the bottom half of the fore end of my Whiskey 3 (gen 6), the sling stud as well, but I cannot get the forend to slide out so I can mount the spigot. Any tips/suggestions or am I just that mechanically disabled?

I grab mine from the magwell and give it a good pull. It’ll come off

Reactions: chrome
Quick update: added the arca spigot, lop weight, weighted angled bag rider, backbone weight, and weighted barrier stop. Really like the barrier stop if not for just carrying the rifle around. I fit it between my index finger and middle finger, and is balanced really well. Went to the range and am still shooting 140 eldm Hornady match ammo, yet to get my reloading bench setup. Shot many small 5 round groups but always threw the fifth one. I imagine it’s more of the drivers fault on the shooting, but the gun is starting to break in very very nicely. Hope to do some load development coming up.
Nice shooting.

How much extra weight did the add-ons give you?

Do you think you might make a few 'extra' bolts at the same time (assuming that would keep the cost down a little)? I would love to have a second magnum-face sized one for mine to run a 6.5PRC or 300WSM without having to butcher mine permanently...

There had been talk of a .223 bolt. How many preorders would it take to make that a reality?

We have some but they ended up being very expensive so we couldn't bring ourselves to charge guys that much. I have to say it is pretty sweet shooting both a SOTIC in .223 (TRG as well). Maybe as we get more rifles out and demand grows we can do a big batch of the .223 bolts.

The magnum SA bolt face is also something we're considering but again there's serious cost there.
Thanks guys,
Justin

@Massoud a few sotic pics in the wild and another 5 shot group I put together with some factory 140 eldm.

Still finalizing some load development but so far looks pretty promising. Figured out what my issue with closing the bolt was, my extractor was very sharp and cutting into my brass rim. Took it out and sanded the edges smooth. Also opened up my mag feed lips to have the rounds sit a little higher, instantly noticed how much easier it is to run the bolt. Those two mods have made me like this gun soo much more, just wish I did it more justice at the match ?

Attachments

• 12872D89-7C66-4A46-A27D-813A96AA85E5.jpeg
    12872D89-7C66-4A46-A27D-813A96AA85E5.jpeg
    885.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 35617A8B-E641-4DC3-A8EB-D6F2792E6D75.jpeg
    35617A8B-E641-4DC3-A8EB-D6F2792E6D75.jpeg
    864.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 2335E0FF-D4EE-494A-BCA0-A4786A36C95A.png
    2335E0FF-D4EE-494A-BCA0-A4786A36C95A.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • 034F7396-9D22-4F9D-9239-AA60C3D280F7.jpeg
    034F7396-9D22-4F9D-9239-AA60C3D280F7.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 101
The SOTIC has had its first outing this past weekend. Doing load development still but shows promise. Doesn't like Hornady Match 140 factory ammo.
6.5 with the Chanlynn barrel. Looks like the Chanlynn is a left-hand twist barrel. My cleaning rod spins left when I push a jag through....anyone confirm?

The target with the seven holes in the center is part of a Satterlee workup using 7 different charge weights, and still under MOA.

Attachments

• 65CM-140ELDM-RL16-11AUG19.jpg
    65CM-140ELDM-RL16-11AUG19.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 65CM-HORNADY FACTORY MATCH-11AUG19.tgx.jpg
    65CM-HORNADY FACTORY MATCH-11AUG19.tgx.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Massoud
@Massoud,
Mine has the fixed chassis. If I were to get a folder W3, which inlet is needed for the SOTIC? I didn't see any TRG W3 folders available. Also is the 6.5CM Chanlynn a left-twist? My bore brush twists to the left. Not an issue, just curious.
Thanks, and beautiful rifle. So happy I found one on the PX.

@LANCER
Happy to hear you found a SOTIC and you are enjoying it so far.
Here's the link for the folder: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/trg-stock/

The SOTIC uses the standard TRG "inlet" which is also the same as the T3. It's just the right side grip panel that's different between the Rem 700 and TRG/T3/SOTIC. I'll double check on the Chanlynn, seems odd that it would be left hand twist.

@never_summer would you mind posting a pic of where you smoothed out your extractor?

Mags are always a headache, with a bolt gun or a gas gun. We do recommend to take some fine sandpaper to the inside edge of the feedlips of a new mag and polish them up a bit or they dig into the brass. Then of course there's the tweaking of the feedlips which could improve/alter the feeding if needed as never_summer did.

Thank you,
Justin

@LANCER
Happy to hear you found a SOTIC and you are enjoying it so far.
Here's the link for the folder: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/trg-stock/

The SOTIC uses the standard TRG "inlet" which is also the same as the T3. It's just the right side grip panel that's different between the Rem 700 and TRG/T3/SOTIC. I'll double check on the Chanlynn, seems odd that it would be left hand twist.

@never_summer would you mind posting a pic of where you smoothed out your extractor?

Mags are always a headache, with a bolt gun or a gas gun. We do recommend to take some fine sandpaper to the inside edge of the feedlips of a new mag and polish them up a bit or they dig into the brass. Then of course there's the tweaking of the feedlips which could improve/alter the feeding if needed as never_summer did.

Thank you,
Justin
Thanks for the link. So basically this is just the stock portion, I don't have to change out the entire chassis? (I don't like how the original TRG side panels look)

Yes that is just the rear half, it's two screws plus removing the trigger for clearance and the old one slides off and the new one slides on. It will come with the same grip panels as your SOTIC already has.
Justin

Yes that is just the rear half, it's two screws plus removing the trigger for clearance and the old one slides off and the new one slides on. It will come with the same grip panels as your SOTIC already has.
Justin
Awesome, thank you. I just looked through it more carefully and realized I posed a stupid question. :)

@LANCER

Thank you,
Justin

I will have to wait to take some pictures, out at work. I'll attach some pics of a trg bolt redlined for reference. It was the leading edge and came to a sharp point. Noticed that whenever i had issues with running the bolt home, the brass would have a good gouge out of the rim and i was getting small brass shavings around the inside of the action and on the bolt. It only happened once at the very end of the day after the match, and a very good deal of dust/dirt had blown into the action by then. Signed up and gonna give mammoth a run with this gun.

@Massoud edited to add pic of bolt area

Attachments

• 7E705540-B7AC-4791-A67D-54C3990A89A2.jpeg
    7E705540-B7AC-4791-A67D-54C3990A89A2.jpeg
    820.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Dialing in my load on the SOTIC and it's showing promise. The bad groups I believe are a result of hideous mirage (my suppressor cover was at home) so couldn't get more than 5 shots before mirage made it almost impossible to see the target. That's what I'm telling myself. Cooled off barrel groups were sub-half which I'm happy with.
The Berger 140 VLD's are awesome and I'm about 50 thou off the lands.
41.1 of RL-16 in GWT brass which is super thick and has 3.5 gr. less volume than Hornady. Getting 2865 fps with no pressure.

By the way, I confirmed that the 26in Chanlynn barrel is indeed a Left-Twist rifling.

307 rounds down the tube.

Attachments

• 65CM-140VLDTGT-RL16-24AUG19.jpg
    65CM-140VLDTGT-RL16-24AUG19.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: never_summer
Dialing in my load on the SOTIC and it's showing promise. The bad groups I believe are a result of hideous mirage (my suppressor cover was at home) so couldn't get more than 5 shots before mirage made it almost impossible to see the target. That's what I'm telling myself. Cooled off barrel groups were sub-half which I'm happy with.
The Berger 140 VLD's are awesome and I'm about 50 thou off the lands.
41.1 of RL-16 in GWT brass which is super thick and has 3.5 gr. less volume than Hornady. Getting 2865 fps with no pressure.

By the way, I confirmed that the 26in Chanlynn barrel is indeed a Left-Twist rifling.

307 rounds down the tube.
Nice shooting! I'd say you have a winner there.

I haven't had much luck with Rl-16, but maybe I will give it another try. So far, H-4350 has been my go to.

Reactions: LANCER
So my SOTIC now has about 350 rounds through it, and yesterday was at the 1k range. I broke the 5th shot of the day, and I feel something drop on my hand. It was an E-clip, very small maybe 3/16 shaft diameter. This is the second E-clip to fall out of this rifle and before I pull the action out of the chassis, was wondering if anyone knows where they might come from? The reason I say it's the second one is because the other day I was carrying the rifle into the house and I heard something drop on the floor (wood floor). I picked it up and saved it (now I don't remember where it is lol) but I looked over the rifle and couldn't see anything obviously missing and wasn't sure if it came out of the SOTIC or another rifle I was also carrying. I forgot about it until yesterday. Also the mag release latch pin started walking out and I pushed it back in.

Could someone from KRG @Massoud perhaps let me know which components use E-clips to hold pins in? I'm now missing two of them and I have not pulled the rifle apart yet. Everything functions as it should (i.e. Trigger, safety, bolt stop, bolt, mag release [except the pin is walking out)

Also, anyone know the torque specs of the scope base mount screws? I didn't check the torque of them when I bought the rifle secondhand but unfired and the base came loose yesterday as well. Ended the session for me.

Otherwise rifle holds .4 MOA out to 1000 yards which is cool.

@LANCER there aren't any e-clips on the SOTIC, there is one c-clip that goes on the trigger, on the pivot point for the sear release block arm. That arm can't fall out even if the clip comes off but it wouldn't hurt to pull the trigger and check.

Make sure you remove the bolt first and keep it out until the trigger is back on. This style of trigger requires that, like the TRG.

For that mag catch pivot pin, they're a press fit but a little too light on some so they need staked. You can send it us or do it yourself.

Put blue loctite on the base plus go to 20 in-lb torque, if you have a Spuhr mount or can get one that's the preferred way and just ditch the rail.

Glad to hear it's shooting so well!
Justin

Reactions: bmmc and LANCER
@LANCER there aren't any e-clips on the SOTIC, there is one c-clip that goes on the trigger, on the pivot point for the sear release block arm. That arm can't fall out even if the clip comes off but it wouldn't hurt to pull the trigger and check.

Make sure you remove the bolt first and keep it out until the trigger is back on. This style of trigger requires that, like the TRG.

For that mag catch pivot pin, they're a press fit but a little too light on some so they need staked. You can send it us or do it yourself.

Put blue loctite on the base plus go to 20 in-lb torque, if you have a Spuhr mount or can get one that's the preferred way and just ditch the rail.

Glad to hear it's shooting so well!
Justin
Yeah I meant C-Clips.
I'll check the trigger but if it doesn't really need it I might not mess with it, and I'll stake the pin for the mag catch I'm saving up for the TRG SPUHR mount, (running a SPUHR already, but it's PICrail.) Once I get it I'll run that. Thanks for the quick response and I absolutely love the rifle. Makes me look like a good shooter (which I'm not)

@Massoud Assuming you guys have any spare time, do you think you would ever be releasing a full update to the user manual with more content (or even an armourers manual type PDF) for the SOTIC? It's an excellent manual already but there's a lot of extra info that gets covered here that would be great to include, such as the tip on being able to move the trigger housing up/down to help with mag issues.

I'd personally love to know if there is a way to adjust the tension of the stock folding mechanism (the unlocking latches on mine are very tight to unlock, and requires quite a bit of force to fold or unfold the stock when unlatched, I assume that's normal but it makes me nervous about the force I'm putting on the stock and particularly the pivot pin to fold or unfold it.

It would be awesome to have a full maintenance manual, (maybe even with an illustrated parts breakdown) for explaining what all the parts actually are, what adjustments are possible, and what torque settings are etc...

I don’t have any first hand experience with the SOTIC, however I have one KRG’s barrels on my TRG and it’s been shooting lights out. It shot really well with factory ammo and load development was a breeze. I’m really tempted to get the W3 Chassis next.

Reactions: Massoud and bmmc
@Tris that is an interesting idea. There's a lot of things to the rifle of course but when you put them all in a regular manual it gets so big that no one reads any of it. Put a little grease on your latches and that will help. You can also adjust the latching "bite" by loosening all the hinge screws (they are loctited) and repositioning a bit then tightening them all back down.

The SOTIC's shoot very well in our testing and from what customers say. There is not a lot more that could be done to a production rifle really. We're already EDM'ing the raceways and we polish the feedramp, the barrels are the best available, chamber rearmers are top quality, the trigger is nice, etc.

Thanks guys!
Justin

@Tris that is an interesting idea. There's a lot of things to the rifle of course but when you put them all in a regular manual it gets so big that no one reads any of it. Put a little grease on your latches and that will help. You can also adjust the latching "bite" by loosening all the hinge screws (they are loctited) and repositioning a bit then tightening them all back down.

The SOTIC's shoot very well in our testing and from what customers say. There is not a lot more that could be done to a production rifle really. We're already EDM'ing the raceways and we polish the feedramp, the barrels are the best available, chamber rearmers are top quality, the trigger is nice, etc.

Thanks guys!
Justin
If you do add a standalone 'technical' booklet please let us know, and it's great to see you guys so active on here with your customers too.
I'll try some grease on the latches and reseat the hinges too. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the resistance/tension on the folding pivot pin itself? I see there is a screw directly underneath the secondary latch that looks like it is designed to sit 'out' a bit as though it can be wound in or out, but it's pretty stiff to turn so I don't want to mess up something that you guys designed to be left alone! As mentioned earlier definitely not a defect of any sort on mine, I just like to tweak/screw with stuff to fine tune it to me.

This is one of the nicest examples of engineering I have ever had the pleasure of owning, you guys really knocked it out of the park with this rifle. Also, "nice" is quite the understatement for this trigger!

Last edited:
@Massoud will the t3x bravo rear stock fit the sotic? I’m gonna be shooting in the 2020 mammoth event and looking to lighten it a little bit
I fit a tikka inlet one to mine occasionally for hunting and it fits up nicely, it does make mine slightly barrel heavy, (26" chanlynn barrel) but nothing too bad, size of grip on Bravo rear end feels similar to the large grip panels that come with the SOTIC if that helps.

Reactions: never_summer
I fit a tikka inlet one to mine occasionally for hunting and it fits up nicely, it does make mine slightly barrel heavy, (26" chanlynn barrel) but nothing too bad, size of grip on Bravo rear end feels similar to the large grip panels that come with the SOTIC if that helps.

Yeah that helps a lot, does it lighten the gun up a noticeable amount? I’m running a 22” broughton barrel so it probably won’t be too bad but I’d prefer it forward wise.

Yeah that helps a lot, does it lighten the gun up a noticeable amount? I’m running a 22” broughton barrel so it probably won’t be too bad but I’d prefer it forward wise.
Honestly didn't really notice as I haven't spent a huge amount of time carrying or shooting off hand. (I got the Bravo as I was worried about bashing the folding stock on trees and stuff, more than the weight), but I've got the adjustable buttplate mechanism fitted to the Bravo rear as well which will add a little extra weight.

I'm not at home for the next few weeks or I'd weigh it for ya, but looking at the KRG website (under TRG accessories) the weight of the Bravo rear is approx 1.75lb and W-3/TRG folding end is 2.9lbs.

Thanks guys!
Justin

I'd be interested in an updated user manual/technical armory manual as well.

Reactions: Massoud
You know what might be easier/cheaper to do? Just create a new page on the KRG site for an 'advanced technical manual'. That would be just as (if not more) usable to me than a hard copy manual (which I could always print), and assumedly something that you could author just as easily as typing it up here on SH.

Definitely agree with the notion though. You guys did/do a great job at engineering a lot of adjustability into your products, but it's not always obvious on how to best use it.

Reactions: Massoud and Tris
Got my load dialed in, pretty good es/sd just gotta see how it does at range. 5 shot group @Massoud
140 eldm .025 off the lands
41.4gr rl-16
Hornady brass
CCI br-2 primer

Attachments

• A785AA00-B9FD-4C75-BC8E-C5EC1AC8471B.jpeg
    A785AA00-B9FD-4C75-BC8E-C5EC1AC8471B.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 165
  • DBD481AC-F0C8-4A94-A8BF-EF74CF7A3021.jpeg
    DBD481AC-F0C8-4A94-A8BF-EF74CF7A3021.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: DJL2 and skatz11
Got my load dialed in, pretty good es/sd just gotta see how it does at range. 5 shot group @Massoud
140 eldm .025 off the lands
41.4gr rl-16
Hornady brass
CCI br-2 primer
Nice shooting!

I tried that exact same load a few days ago and also got very good accuracy. However, velocity was a bit disappointing; 2670 fps from a 22" barrel. That's about 90 fps slower than my normal "go to" load of 42.2 grains of H4350. I was thinking of bumping it up another 1/2 grain and see how that does.

Did you happen to chronograph your load?

Nice shooting!

I tried that exact same load a few days ago and also got very good accuracy. However, velocity was a bit disappointing; 2670 fps from a 22" barrel. That's about 90 fps slower than my normal "go to" load of 42.2 grains of H4350. I was thinking of bumping it up another 1/2 grain and see how that does.

Did you happen to chronograph your load?

Yeah I ran 15 rounds over a magneto speed sporter after doing some groups with it. Had an sd=9 and es=18, but it was also ammo I loaded at 1am prior to a match I didn’t go to haha. I’d like to get it a little tighter, but my velocity avg = 2698 FPS.
I’m also on my fifth reloading of Hornady brass and everything looks to be holding up, so that’s one good thing about not running it hot.

Last edited: