• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

KRG Bravo vs MDT XRS - anyone got both?

papaechowhiskey

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
The MDT XRS looks to me like MDT’s competitor for the Bravo. I’m tossing up between both for my next build, for anyone that has both what would you score each for functionality out of 10 and quality out of 10?

Does the MDT XRS feel a lot heavier than the Bravo? How’s the balance on them both? The MDT XRS looks like it has a longer forend which is nice, also looks better quality than the Bravo, but the Bravo looks better IMO.

Interested in this as well. I've had a Bravo and do love it for ergos but am curious about the XRS due to the MDT having a Savage inlet coming.

I had both and sold the Bravo. For me, the short forend on the Bravo necessitated the use of the spigot which when added, brought the weight (and price) of the 2 chassis much closer (I can't remember the exact numbers, I'd have to recheck my notes but I wanna say within 1/4lbs). I also just honestly prefer the "feel" of the XRS, it feels more substantial and just better in my hands (which I'll grant is totally subjective). The dual knobs is a non-issue for me, one I set my cheek rest height I witness mark the posts and never move it but to clean the barrel.

I had both and sold the Bravo. For me, the short forend on the Bravo necessitated the use of the spigot which when added, brought the weight (and price) of the 2 chassis much closer (I can't remember the exact numbers, I'd have to recheck my notes but I wanna say within 1/4lbs). I also just honestly prefer the "feel" of the XRS, it feels more substantial and just better in my hands (which I'll grant is totally subjective). The dual knobs is a non-issue for me, one I set my cheek rest height I witness mark the posts and never move it but to clean the barrel.

My local has the XRS for sale for about $100 cheaper than the Bravo as it’s a pre-order coming in a few months. If you were to do it again would you definitely go the XRS at $100 cheaper than the Bravo?

With the dual knobs on the riser, does the riser need to come out to get the bolt out? If not, wouldn’t be much of an issue for me either. I’ve read that the Bravo (with a Howa in it) needs the riser to come off to get the bolt out.

I just don’t like all the visible screws on the MDT, wish they didn’t put it together like that!

Last edited:
My local has the XRS for sale for about $100 cheaper than the Bravo as it’s a pre-order coming in a few months. If you were to do it again would you definitely go the XRS at $100 cheaper than the Bravo?

With the dual knobs on the riser, does the riser need to come out to get the bolt out? If not, wouldn’t be much of an issue for me either. I’ve read that the Bravo (with a Howa in it) needs the riser to come off to get the bolt out.

I just don’t like all the visible screws on the MDT, wish they didn’t put it together like that!

Yeah, I'd get the XRS over the Bravo but that's me. In both the Bravo and the XRS (with the same action in them) I needed to drop the cheek riser all the way down when cleaning. Wasn't a big deal as I had witness marked the posts after getting my final cheek height dialled in.

Reactions: papaechowhiskey
Yeah, I'd get the XRS over the Bravo but that's me. In both the Bravo and the XRS (with the same action in them) I needed to drop the cheek riser all the way down when cleaning. Wasn't a big deal as I had witness marked the posts after getting my final cheek height dialled in.

Thanks, going by the pics I was thinking the riser on the XRS could stay put.

Weight difference is making the choice a little more difficult, as it’ll be a 50/50 range/hunting rig, so will get carried a lot.

The Bravo comes in at 1lb lighter ?

Last edited:
Thanks, going by the pics I was thinking the riser on the XRS could stay put.

Weight difference is making the choice a little more difficult, as it’ll be a 50/50 range/hunting rig, so will get carried a lot.

The Bravo comes in at 1lb lighter ?

I found the Bravo to be too short for my liking so added the spigot to the front which makes it pretty much the same length as the XRS. With the spigot added, I wanna say the Bravo was only 4 or so Oz lighter than the XRS.

What local has the XRS cheaper than the Bravo?

Reactions: memilanuk
I found the Bravo to be too short for my liking so added the spigot to the front which makes it pretty much the same length as the XRS. With the spigot added, I wanna say the Bravo was only 4 or so Oz lighter than the XRS.

I’m not shooting PRS, so unsure as to whether the shorter forend will be a bother. It’ll basically be used for bench and hunting. I like the extra length on the XRS, but don’t like the extra weight... decisions decisions!

Cleavers in Aus.
$695 for the Bravo, $575 for the XRS

Unless that’s coming with some extras that price seems way high. KRG lists the Bravo at $440 at the top end. I’m all for keeping brick and mortar shops in business, but seems over the top.

Unless that’s coming with some extras that price seems way high. KRG lists the Bravo at $440 at the top end. I’m all for keeping brick and mortar shops in business, but seems over the top.

He said “Cleavers in Aus.” Aus. = Australia. Different dollar down there. ;)

I’d be interested to check an XRS out, but already have a Bravo and goodies, so I’d likely stick with them.

He said “Cleavers in Aus.” Aus. = Australia. Different dollar down there. ;)

I’d be interested to check an XRS out, but already have a Bravo and goodies, so I’d likely stick with them.

Certainly is, plus we have excessive taxes on almost everything, so prices are usually a fair bit more comparatively. We’re getting hit with a price rise shortly also, as due to the US dollar, all import costs have gone up.

I’m leaning toward the Bravo due to the weight saving, but you can see my dilemma.. the XRS is listed at an introductory cost and if other markets are any indication, it’ll probably end up a fair bit more than the KRG here at some point.

OH, I read that as Aus like Austin TX! I'll crawl back under my rock!

haha easy mistake to make ?

Nobody is talking about the million individual parts that the bravo has.

tapatalk_324502805.jpeg

I have one on a howa and I don't like the loose block that the front action screw is mounted through. It was causing problems at first cause it did not leave enough play to tighten the action onto the chassis, the block went hard up on the action and I had to have a piece milled out.
All good now but would drive someone crazy if they didn't realise it, also leave a bad taste in my mouth having to machine something just to get it to work. I explain it here with photos

I love the Bravo, it looks better than the XRS. The modularity is a plus for some, but a negative foe me. All those screws to fit the front skin, the block for the action screw, the screw between the buttstock and chassis... Too many to check to check up on.

I have a Howa 6creed coming, think I'm gonna pop my 2 howas in XRS's and perhaps my Savage 12 LRP as well.

FB_IMG_1602219492264.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody is talking about the million individual parts that the bravo has.

View attachment 7448970

I have one on a howa and I don't like the loose block that the front action screw is mounted through. It was causing problems at first cause it did not leave enough play to tighten the action onto the chassis, the block went hard up on the action and I had to have a piece milled out.
All good now but would drive someone crazy if they didn't realise it, also leave a bad taste in my mouth having to machine something just to get it to work. I explain it here with photos

I love the Bravo, it looks better than the XRS. The modularity is a plus for some, but a negative foe me. All those screws to fit the front skin, the block for the action screw, the screw between the buttstock and chassis... Too many to check to check up on.

I have a Howa 6creed coming, think I'm gonna pop my 2 howas in XRS's and perhaps my Savage 12 LRP as well.

View attachment 7448968

Sorry to dig this thread out of the grave but I'm in the same predicament.

What I've gleaned so far:
KRG Bravo seems to be more modular and customizable, especially with the tiltable buttstock. It's 3.0 lbs in base config. USA company
MDT XRS newer, beefier, less parts and customizable grips with a longer forerend. It weighs 3.9 lbs in base config and costs ~$150 more

If you were choosing a stock to fit a Proof Carbon Fiber 6.5 CM, Bighorn Origin, TT Diamond 2 stage with a primary purpose of Mammoth/Field Course competition and hunting, which would you recommend?

TIA.

XRS all the way in my opinion. Sold a build on one to make room for a new rifle, I will but another for an all around platform. In my opinion, the vertical grip has the best ergonomics and the longer fore end and barricade stop make a difference.

The MDT XRS looks to me like MDT’s competitor for the Bravo. I’m tossing up between both for my next build, for anyone that has both what would you score each for functionality out of 10 and quality out of 10?

Does the MDT XRS feel a lot heavier than the Bravo? How’s the balance on them both? The MDT XRS looks like it has a longer forend which is nice, also looks better quality than the Bravo, but the Bravo looks better IMO.
I don’t have both but I have the XRS and it’s very good in my opinion. Weatherby Vanguard (Howa)
6C22B934-3594-4148-99B5-B5305543CE82.jpeg

Same predicament as several others here were in.

I actually ordered the MDT but might take them up on the 30 trial period.

It's going on a 20" 223 ai.

If it feels too heavy for field use I'll trip it for the bravo.

Last edited:
I was considering the XRS chassis in two builds I am doing right now, but since they do not have the long action out yet, I am going with the Cadex Strike Nuke Evo chassis.

I hope MDT at some point does come out with the XRS long action chassis, it would be another grate option to chose from.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Worker
I was considering the XRS chassis in two builds I am doing right now, but since they do not have the long action out yet, I am going with the Cadex Strike Nuke Evo chassis.

I hope MDT at some point does come out with the XRS long action chassis, it would be another grate option to chose from.
Thanks for your input and we are always looking to expand our lineup! It is a little trickier with the XRS as a long action inlet would require new polymer components which are costly and have long lead times, but keep an eye out as it might be something we work on in the near future!

- Josh

What is the width of the forearm on the MDT ? I have a Bergara Premier ridgeback short action ,will the MDT XRS fit it ?

What is the width of the forearm on the MDT ? I have a Bergara Premier ridgeback short action ,will the MDT XRS fit it ?
The overall forend width is in the 2" range (outside) but we have inletted this chassis to accept up to 1.250" straight-taper barrels, meaning that your Bergara will drop in without any issues!

- Josh

I have both. I prefer the MDT it just feels better. But it is heaver

IMO MDT is too heavy for any kind of schlepping.

It's weight pushes out of crossover territory.
Feels really good in the hand tho.
Quality kit.

For some reason, folks compare the XRS to the Bravo. Haven't figured out why, unless you are strictly talking Howa, but still, the closest there is the oryx.
The X Ray in short action comes in around the same price as the XRS, that is what it should be compared to.

For some reason, folks compare the XRS to the Bravo. Haven't figured out why, unless you are strictly talking Howa, but still, the closest there is the oryx.
The X Ray in short action comes in around the same price as the XRS, that is what it should be compared to.
Because they are more traditionally figured stock/chassis.

I wish I could get a Bravo for hunting at 28-30oz! Keep the adjustable butt (if possible) but remove the cheek riser hardware to lighten.

That would sure temper my Manners/McMillian lust.

I own a Whiskey 3 Gen 6 and I love it for bench-type PD shooting.

I'm a bit late to the party.

I've owned a Bravo in the past. IMO it was the pick of all the KRG chassis. It felt better than even their more expensive X-Ray and Whisky models.

But these days I have several XRS's. The XRS feels more comfortable and solid. It's a quality piece of kit.