• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leatherwood Malcom USMC 8 power

crankythunder

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2011
burrokratic republic of michigan
Good Morning:

Does anyone own a Leatherwood Malcom USMC 8 power external adjustment modern unertl type scope?

I am thinking about purchasing one but am concerned as to how easy it is to adjust from various ranges.

I own a 16 power unertl on my competition rifle and it does not adjust to different ranges easily. To switch from 50 foot indoor rimfire competitions to 50 yard and 100 yard competitions I need to loosen three slot screws and then unscrew the objective about 20 revolutions to get focused at the new distance.

I am considering this scope for a new to me vintage single shot 22LR to be used in shillouette steel plate shooting with ranges from 20 yards to 220 yards and want to know if this scope would work.

Also, if you know of another forum where I might find a owner would be great!

Your consideration and insights would be appreciated.

Regards,
Cranky

Re: Leatherwood Malcom USMC 8 power

There are some pretty detailed posts concerning this scope on Culvers Shooting Pages Forum and The CMP Forum.

Most buyers on those sites bought them to make replica M1941USMC sniper rifles (30-06, 1903 based).

One thing I will note is that most are not impressed with the mounts or the hardware. Once corrections to those parts are made I understand the scope to be serviceable.

I dont own one but you should get a good answer at one of those two forums. Do a site search or post your question in the bolt/Springfield 1903 area.

Good luck.

Re: Leatherwood Malcom USMC 8 power

Don't waste your money on a Leatherwood 8x. the windage and elevation knobs are a joke. Nothing like the Unertal. I just got a USMC 1942 sniper rifle with one on it. Needless to say I plan to pull it off and put a Unertal on it. There is a pic on the Vintage sniper rifle forums, take a look.