• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leaving ammo behind

8nvpmj.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Makinchips208
Ya know, if ya thinq playing gun games is guna getcha kilt, then don't play. You can tell everyone, "I told you so", when someone we know dies in a gunfight.

Personally, I'm not a professional gun slinger. I'm a hobby shooter who likes playing games and attending matches. I probably wouldn't if I had "work guns", and had to shoot all the time, but I'm a dad and professional something else, so I don't have a lot of time to do the things I like, much less the things I do for money.

If you're some high speed operator who shoots people all the time I guess I understand that playing games might instill bad habits, but for the guy who may have to skin it once in their lives I think the benefits far, far, far outweigh the potential downside. I've never met anyone who thought a good score in pistol sports meant they were a gunfighter or a high PRS number meant they were a sniper (unless they actually are). That said, the most prolific gunfighter in American history trained by standing in front of a mirror and drawing and dry firing, and I've never seen anything about him entering a pistol match...

Jerry Miculek is not a gunfighter either, but I sure as hell would do everything I could to avoid getting into a gunfight with him. I would think that many bad habits and mistakes that might be picked up in shooting sports could be compensated for with the speed and accuracy they instill. Just becoming proficient in moving and firing as opposed to planting yourself and draw fire seems like a huge advantage to me. But again, not a gunfighter, so take that with a grain of salt.

That makes sense @Fig , and it seems most here are in agreement in general.

“Mindset, skills, tactics, gear.” To borrow from Craig Caudill.

And I feel like that for me my original question was sufficiently answered regarding the ammo left behind.

Good input all!

Reactions: LuckyLuke80
So on the OP point-if leaving ammo behind in what guys call the real world is ok then my question is why not just shoot that ammo up and then reload. Every study done has proven that no one accurately counts how many rounds they’ve fired in a gunfight. So maybe they just fired 7 rounds of a 30 round mag. Why drop those 23 perfectly good rounds just because it’s “convenient”? Why not just shoot to slidelock and reload. Of course that brings up the point of emergency reloads have never won a gunfight and that’s true, but neither has leaving a half full magazine been the game changer as far as a real gunfight goes. So essentially it’s ALL about beating the timer and gaining valuable tenths or hundredths of a second to win a medal. Just my uneducated opinion

Ya know, if ya thinq playing gun games is guna getcha kilt, then don't play. You can tell everyone, "I told you so", when someone we know dies in a gunfight.

Personally, I'm not a professional gun slinger. I'm a hobby shooter who likes playing games and attending matches. I probably wouldn't if I had "work guns", and had to shoot all the time, but I'm a dad and professional something else, so I don't have a lot of time to do the things I like, much less the things I do for money.

If you're some high speed operator who shoots people all the time I guess I understand that playing games might instill bad habits, but for the guy who may have to skin it once in their lives I think the benefits far, far, far outweigh the potential downside. I've never met anyone who thought a good score in pistol sports meant they were a gunfighter or a high PRS number meant they were a sniper (unless they actually are). That said, the most prolific gunfighter in American history trained by standing in front of a mirror and drawing and dry firing, and I've never seen anything about him entering a pistol match...

Jerry Miculek is not a gunfighter either, but I sure as hell would do everything I could to avoid getting into a gunfight with him. I would think that many bad habits and mistakes that might be picked up in shooting sports could be compensated for with the speed and accuracy they instill. Just becoming proficient in moving and firing as opposed to planting yourself and draw fire seems like a huge advantage to me. But again, not a gunfighter, so take that with a grain of salt.
Yes the competitions are great for learning moving and shooting as well as speed and accuracy. I don’t think they instill bad habits that will get a guy killed as long as that person is training different things. For example-a race gun in an offset holster set up for scoop draw and magnetic mag holders all arranged at the perfect angle are worlds apart from carrying a concealed weapon in a retention holster with one spare magazine. Gotta train both.