• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Let The Hide Speak: Domestically Produced Soft Rifle Cases

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    I have been thinking about soft rifle cases for a number of years now. This thought process has culminated in my current opinion about soft rifle cases.

Basically.... 1) A lot of folks aren't interested in packing the kitchen sink in their soft rifle case. All that stuff gets out to the match/range/hunting trip in a backpack. This adds complexity and drives up cost for something that is being asked to perform a very simple task. And 2) The ideal soft rifle case construction needs to be very simple and bomb-proof, with consumer-specified materials and sizing. Seems like it's always too long, too short, or not deep enough for a side folder without the sides bulging out. Also, maybe not everyone in the world wants just another 500D tacti-gasmic invention. Perhaps there's some room in this market for more classic materials that develop character with use. Like waxed canvas or heavy #8 canvas duck (think Klein tool bags.) Hell, maybe even leather and brass instead of plastic buckles! And finally.... 3) made in the USA is non-negotiable

I've seen the Hide community support the creation of some really great products; inversely those individuals contribute to the Hide with commercial support. At this point, please consider this a crowd-sourcing type brainstorming exercise and not some scheme for me to feed my family. I've got a day job that keeps me plenty busy. Merely something I enjoy piddling with and see it as a way to give back to the community. Also, I worked with a (very well-known) local bag mfg on sewing out a prototype for me last year. I don't want to speak for them but based on my limited conversations with them I bet they'd be all on board tackling the sewing part if I provided the materials and "templates." Would be cool for an exercise like this to support a American business that already supports our community.

With all that in mind, I'd like to ask the group here at the Hide if there is any widespread theoretical interest in such a concept? What do you think? Ready set go!

(A few suggestions for conversation might be)

1. cordura, wax canvas, or really thick/heavy canvas duck material?
    2. full length zipper or okay with simple sleeve/flap?
    3. foam layer, or just straight up fabric?
    4. carry handle only, sling type strap, or both?
    5. See any value in user-specified sizing?
    6. Hardware.... leather and brass, or webbing works for me? replace plastic buckles with some cobra buckles?

I would love to see something like this. For me, price would be more of a factor than buckles or leather vs webbing, etc. The simpler the better. A pocket or two, basic carry handle.
    Full sip is nice for cleaning and drying.

Reactions: deersniper
    Full length sling would be a necessity for me.

So, both sling and carry handle. Sling as in an actual sling, not one of those weird backpack things, since I want to have a pack and carry the rifle on the shoulder too.

Basically, I think this ideas been done pretty well by Armageddon Gear, except for different materials:

1593542325493.png

Full zip is nice for cleaning and drying.

When you say full opening is nice for drying, I immediately go back to my duck hunting days. All my friends had to have the fully sealed waterproof floating shotgun sleeves. Which is a nice feature on paper until they left a wet gun in there for a little too long and it came out covered in rust. I've always preferred a soft case made of more breathable materials. Both valid sides of the coin!

Basically, I think this ideas been done pretty well by Armageddon Gear, except for different materials
    Agreed,
    Then perhaps 86 the external pockets and let the purchaser specify what LxWxH they want. This is obviously a great product from a great company at a great price (and there are others too.) Overall concept here is sacrificing some economy of scale for specific crowd-specified characteristics.

Last edited:
    Reactions: RS14
    I would love a waxed canvas square scabbard with nothing on the inside to snag a rifle sliding in and out, and sized for a precision rig.

That is close to the latest thing I’ve been tinkering with, it’s wax canvas exterior with a layer of foam in the middle and thinner canvas duck interior (similar to Carhartt pants type material.) I should have made it a rectangle shape instead of tapering down on barrel end. And added at least one more side for some depth, it would reduce the overall width some.

I definitely like the materials though. Just some examples of the thought process...
    F9CE1D7C-652F-4C99-A26D-960C15F70127.jpeg
    1DFF8DC9-0CF0-4E4A-96CF-F9846B3F6FB1.jpeg

One weakness I've seen on cases is when they join the sides, the bottoms and sometime ends don't have any padding at all. Some have a "flap" that follows the inside of the zipper that helps but is usually to short.

I use a few different cases, some multi task provided I'm not taking whatever usually goes in at the same time. All have good features and some weaknesses.

Probably one of the most useful is the Eagle pack case, functions as a mat if needed, simple and you can adjust the length by simply folding the excess and snapping the buckles. I would love a smaller version for AR carbines. The useless feature on this is the 10 round elastic holders. If the handle could be made to be movable, it would balance when folded for shorter guns. I use the Eagle M4 drag bag for the AI AT, little tight with the folder though as it's thick.

Couldn't find the Eagle pic, shame they aren't in the business, Ben Lennet gave both to me.

I would love a waxed canvas square scabbard with nothing on the inside to snag a rifle sliding in and out, and sized for a precision rig.

With a leather flap that closed with buckles and a handle on the leather flap and one that you can slide back and forth for center of gravity adjustment.
    Yes!

I really do like this idea the most so far. This may have to be the next prototype. I'm just trying to visualize how the sliding handle will work without being too complex and labor intensive to put together. Perhaps a perforated leather spine and some brass Chicago screws?

Marine grade, #10 ,or larger, YKK or RiRi two-way zippers.
    Closed cell foam, min 3/8” thick
    500-1000 Wt Cordura with DWR and Waterproofing backing layer.
    Internal webbing with Velcro straps
    Double stitch everything where possible with a backing material
    Bar-tack all stress points where possible
    Rectangular shape-no taper.

Basically, I’m looking for a lighter weight and less expensive version of the Armageddon Gear M2010 .mil case......that would be awesome.

Also:
    Beware waxed cotton canvas-It’s a bitch when the wax goes rancid, which happens. It also has poor abrasion and burst strength characterIstics when compared to Nylon

Reactions: mewillis
    The old M1950 parachutist weapons cases were canvas and padded. Square shaped and holds a rifle up to 47". Not any handles that I can remember, but may be a good starting point. Wonder how difficult it would be to stich on some handles and wax it. Can't remember if they were waxed or not. I bet they can be found on ebay or at surplus stores. I know they made them out of nylon also. think it was the M1917 weapons case that was nylon. Racking the brain here and may not be remembering correctly.

Reactions: RTH1800
    Custom sizing, foam padding and metal buckles would be the ticket I think. I don't know enough about materials to judge but I would think something breathable would be preferred over a "sealed" material.

You could stop being poors and go get in on the TacOps drag bag group buy....... :cool:

Made right here in the USA by hard working decent American Patriots.

Reactions: 1911hombre
    Armageddon Gear with Tom and crew in Georgia
    or
    First Spear in Missouri which is the reincarnation of the original Eagle Industries when they were the shit.

./

Have to look into the First Spear. I recall back in the day when Mike Noell (Blackhawk) said he was going to copy all of Eagle' stuff and put them out of business. Cut throat business on his end. I was in his store on Shore Drive in Va. Beach speaking with him, so it was no "I heard" He started out -get this on London Bridge Road, near the now present location on London Bridge Trading.

Reactions: Terry Cross
    TacOps, First Spear, Eagle Industries..... all good products by good companies and made here in the good ole US of A for all I know.

They have their place, and provide their value to their customer base. With all due respect, that’s not the type of rifle case we’re discussing here on this thread. Open to input if I’m off base here.

I would add Tactical Tailor to the list of good products by good companies. l would still like to try TacOps just because, but I really like my Tactical Tailor bags.

Filson has scope and non scoped cases for you traditionalists.

Here is the scopes case......

Add some wax to the cotton and you are water proof waxed cotton.

Beware waxed cotton canvas-It’s a bitch when the wax goes rancid, which happens. It also has poor abrasion and burst strength characterIstics when compared to Nylon

I’d be curious to hear you expound on these comments some. What exactly does wax going rancid mean?

Also, I have no awareness of the technical aspects of various fabrics. Obviously there is a reason the entire world uses cordura. I just think we get so caught up in performance specs we lose touch with reality and how we use products in the real world. Jumping out of airplanes in defense of our country? Okay fine, get 1000d. Carrying a rifle to the local rifle range twice a month? Pretty sure something with less “burst strength” is still going to last a good long while.

I have a short for my vudoo and the long for the impact. I just slide the bipod down the rail to max the length and balance is repeatable.
    Fits in std pelican for long drives and made in the US of Fuckin A.

Tactical Tailor, Filson, Triad Tactical. All great products.

Did you guys even read the OP at all? Because it seems like all you did was read the title and skip to the end.

Last edited:
    Just reread OP. What do you want to do with your design?
    Carry a rifle from the truck to staging area?
    Unzip to a dedicated shooting mat as well?
    Hump it up vertical to your favorite shooting spot?
    That info would help steer us.
    Sounds like you're aiming to design a nice case to travel with the rifle with no frills for accessories, kinda like the AG bag, and use a backpack for the rest.
    I can't keep dirt off of anything, so the triads have worked well for me, and the lighter nylon isn't overbuilt and dries quick.

Armageddon Gear and the Triad Tactical case are what I have. Both well made, durable and good padding. Both also made in the USA

I would like to find something padded that would fit a single rifle for range trips/short trips ect, and also drop perfectly into an empty pelican or storm case for longer/extended back of the truck rides ect..