• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light 50 BMG?

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
What is the lightest magazine fed 50 BMG rifle out there today that still has manageable felt recoil performance? From handling various 50's at SHOT and elsewhere it appears the Safety Harbor SHF 50R weighing in at 17.5 lbs. empty with a 22" barrel is the lightest I have seen to date. Their 18" barrel comes in a pound lighter; but has a significantly lower muzzle velocity. Regards, Dale

I'd think one of the tactilite 50 bmg ar-15 uppers would probably be the lightest. I've read a 29" with bipod and scope weighs about 28 lbs. You can get an ultralite with down to an 18.5", I'm sure you could get the weight pretty far down.

50 BMG and manageable felt recoil don't go together. The only one I have shot is a Barrett 99 and it's nice for the first 10 rds.

I think you're right with the Safety Harbor. I have a 22" barreled upper on a lower that I built and the whole thing comes in at around 18lbs with scope. As for recoil, my Marlin 1895 lever action in .45-70 or 12 ga slug gun kick way worse. However, the concussion is what does you in for extended shooting with a 50 BMG. After about 10 rounds my head starts ringing. Shoulder feels just fine though...

I have to agree on something. It's not the recoil, it's the concussion that will be the issue. Has the OP actually spent much time behind a 50? I ask since if range is the desire, there are better BC setups that will reach out there: 338 Lapua is the obvious starting place.

The OP will spend a lot of money on a 50 only to realize the price isn't the only detriment to shooting it often.

Nothing wrong with a 50. It is what it is, but I hope the OP understands what he is in for.

TTR

Thanks for all the good feedback. Yes there is more to the 50 BMG than recoil to be sure. An 18" barrel as noted IMOH as well is too short when it comes to muzzle blast and concussion. The draw of the 50 BMG for me is its pure power and the range of ammo designed for it (AP, API, APIT and even Raufoss). I know of no other caliber that has such a wide range of capabilities and the cost is still more reasonable that the other ELR rounds given it's wide availability. Regards, Dale

I've never had any problems with the concussion when shooting from a short or long barrelled 50. If you're behind it and the rifle has a decent brake you shouldn't have any issues with anything but recoil. On the other hand I sat next to my Boys rifle at a demo while about 500rds was launched downrange and I had quite a headache at the end of the day. Not nice to be next to but ok to shoot.....I've found that to be the case with most of the 50s I've fired. I like the Serbu's in any barrel length, they're pretty light. I've not fired the Safety harbor guns. The barrets aren't bad but aren't really lightweight. My Boys rifle weighs 36lb so its not light either. I have run over 300rds through it in an afternoon with no discomfort though....

Frank

Their 18" barrel comes in a pound lighter; but has a significantly lower muzzle velocity. Regards, Dale

What's the purpose of >200gr of powder into an 18" barrel? Flamethrower? Somehow this sounds like a very expensive range toy, what is the purpose?

What's the purpose of >200gr of powder into an 18" barrel? Flamethrower? Somehow this sounds like a very expensive range toy, what is the purpose?

Think you answered your own question, there. ;)

I never said an 18" barrel was a good idea; just an honest question about 50 BMG rifles, that's all.

Did own the Safety Harbor 18" for a few years and it was light enough to shoot standing up. Not much more in the shooting game than shooting a .50 bmg standing.

Recoil: Had the PRS stock on it (steel butt plate) and shooting with a tee shirt it left bruises. However with a jacket on it didn't bruises. Most people (the smarter ones) put a recoil pad on them.
untitled4.png

untitled2.png

this is it being fired (Fun, fun gun)
[video=youtube_share;090X0SGPI-s]http://youtu.be/090X0SGPI-s[/video]
I'm kind of torn on barrel length, for fun prefer the 20" (M82A1 CQ), but for target shooting prefer the 30" State Arms Shorty

overkill and expensive,,,but it sure would be cool to own one.. only one I ever seen was a barrett of some sort that a local gun shop give away in a drawing.....

i HAD a .50 with 18" barrel , kick is one thing , but muzzle blast and concussion is a MOFO !!! How about Bushmaster ??

Bushmaster BA50 is 30lbs empty, which is about on par with the "average" 50. I like mine, but it's a typical 50 in that it's big and obnoxious to shoot (which is pretty much why I have it).

I've never had any problems with the concussion when shooting from a short or long barrelled 50. If you're behind it and the rifle has a decent brake you shouldn't have any issues with anything but recoil. On the other hand I sat next to my Boys rifle at a demo while about 500rds was launched downrange and I had quite a headache at the end of the day. Not nice to be next to but ok to shoot.....I've found that to be the case with most of the 50s I've fired. I like the Serbu's in any barrel length, they're pretty light. I've not fired the Safety harbor guns. The barrets aren't bad but aren't really lightweight. My Boys rifle weighs 36lb so its not light either. I have run over 300rds through it in an afternoon with no discomfort though....

Frank

I need to know what kind of space helmet or other protective equipment you were wearing that you made it to the end of the day before you had a headache while sitting NEXT TO 500 rounds of 50 being fired, not to mention SHOOTING 300 rounds in a day? 10-20 rounds out of mine and that's enough for me. I feel like I've been in a low-speed car crash with the headache and the feeling that my organs got moved around. Not to mention that 300rds of even the cheapest surplus is still about $1000 in ammo in one session? After I get fitted for my bubble-head helmet, I guess I need your ammo supplier too :D

I need to know what kind of space helmet or other protective equipment you were wearing that you made it to the end of the day before you had a headache while sitting NEXT TO 500 rounds of 50 being fired, not to mention SHOOTING 300 rounds in a day? 10-20 rounds out of mine and that's enough for me. I feel like I've been in a low-speed car crash with the headache and the feeling that my organs got moved around. Not to mention that 300rds of even the cheapest surplus is still about $1000 in ammo in one session? After I get fitted for my bubble-head helmet, I guess I need your ammo supplier too :D

No space helmet needed....just a good set of earmuffs. With the brake on the Boys rifle I was still inside the "cone of silence" a bit because the angle most of the gas follows is more forward. There were some cute girls at the demo too so that made it worth sitting through all that blasting. The ammo was all yugo surplus and I got to keep all the brass. My days of firing 300rds myself were all shooting ammo I loaded so the ammo bill wasn't that high. I bought a lot of powder, projos and primers years back so the cost was low. A lot of labor went into it though....
In any case its all relative. I have people shoot 9mm submachineguns who whine because the recoil is bad. I have others who fire the 338Lapua without the brake or suppressor and don't seem to notice. If you shoot a lot then recoil and blast get to the point where they don't bother you. You quit flinching when someone fires next to you and as long as the next big rifle with a brake is a few feet down the line from you you're fine. It just takes practice.....
On the other hand.....the 20mm is a bit expensive to shoot so I've never fired more than 50rds in a weekend. I didn't have enough brass....
One pic is of the Solothurn being fired. another view of the rifle from the side and one of the ammo. 60mm mortar practice bomb, 20X138B Solothurn, 14.5mm Russian and 50 bmg. We have never shoulder fired the mortar and don't plan to do so but the others are all manageable.
Frank

Attachments

• solofired10-10-1.jpg
    solofired10-10-1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Solo10-10shoot-1.jpg
    Solo10-10shoot-1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1110081736a.jpg
    1110081736a.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 46
No space helmet needed....just a good set of earmuffs. With the brake on the Boys rifle I was still inside the "cone of silence" a bit because the angle most of the gas follows is more forward. There were some cute girls at the demo too so that made it worth sitting through all that blasting. The ammo was all yugo surplus and I got to keep all the brass. My days of firing 300rds myself were all shooting ammo I loaded so the ammo bill wasn't that high. I bought a lot of powder, projos and primers years back so the cost was low. A lot of labor went into it though....
In any case its all relative. I have people shoot 9mm submachineguns who whine because the recoil is bad. I have others who fire the 338Lapua without the brake or suppressor and don't seem to notice. If you shoot a lot then recoil and blast get to the point where they don't bother you. You quit flinching when someone fires next to you and as long as the next big rifle with a brake is a few feet down the line from you you're fine. It just takes practice.....
On the other hand.....the 20mm is a bit expensive to shoot so I've never fired more than 50rds in a weekend. I didn't have enough brass....
One pic is of the Solothurn being fired. another view of the rifle from the side and one of the ammo. 60mm mortar practice bomb, 20X138B Solothurn, 14.5mm Russian and 50 bmg. We have never shoulder fired the mortar and don't plan to do so but the others are all manageable.
Frank

I still take my hat off to you. I've never had a recoil problem with the 50, or even a flinch issue. I just notice that after a while I just don't feel well and typically feel shitty for a day or so after a range session. For me I guess it's the overpressure. I never had a problem blasting through belts on the M2, even with crappy ear pro (sometimes just cigarette butts in my ears) but the brake-equipped 50s ring my bell. I've never really had the reason to do prolonged firing with mine.
I basically bought it to shut my buddies up who just couldn't believe that with my gun addiction I DIDN'T own a 50. Essentially I bought the damn thing so other people could shoot it. But you're totally right: chicks definitely dig the 50 cal.

Once I'm back in the States for good I'll likely be moving to the southeast side of Cook County and plan on doing most of my shooting in Indiana. Maybe we can meet up and share a concussion at some point.

I still take my hat off to you. I've never had a recoil problem with the 50, or even a flinch issue. I just notice that after a while I just don't feel well and typically feel shitty for a day or so after a range session. For me I guess it's the overpressure. I never had a problem blasting through belts on the M2, even with crappy ear pro (sometimes just cigarette butts in my ears) but the brake-equipped 50s ring my bell. I've never really had the reason to do prolonged firing with mine.
I basically bought it to shut my buddies up who just couldn't believe that with my gun addiction I DIDN'T own a 50. Essentially I bought the damn thing so other people could shoot it. But you're totally right: chicks definitely dig the 50 cal.

Once I'm back in the States for good I'll likely be moving to the southeast side of Cook County and plan on doing most of my shooting in Indiana. Maybe we can meet up and share a concussion at some point.

I'm on the east central side of the state near the ohio border. I"m always happy to share a few shots with a fellow lunatic. I do have some little rifles to shoot as well....the .338 Lapua and 510 whisper are great fun suppressed in the Desert Tactical. That rifle is smaller and lighter than the barrel on the 20mm even when you include the suppressor.

Frank

Thanks for all the good feedback. Yes there is more to the 50 BMG than recoil to be sure. An 18" barrel as noted IMOH as well is too short when it comes to muzzle blast and concussion. The draw of the 50 BMG for me is its pure power and the range of ammo designed for it (AP, API, APIT and even Raufoss). I know of no other caliber that has such a wide range of capabilities and the cost is still more reasonable that the other ELR rounds given it's wide availability. Regards, Dale

OK. That changes things. I will take you at face value on that. You are looking for certain ammunition configurations. 50 is pretty much where your specs will be met.

Regards,
TTR

I'm on the east central side of the state near the ohio border. I"m always happy to share a few shots with a fellow lunatic. I do have some little rifles to shoot as well....the .338 Lapua and 510 whisper are great fun suppressed in the Desert Tactical. That rifle is smaller and lighter than the barrel on the 20mm even when you include the suppressor.

Frank

Sounds good brother, I've got several friends in Ohio I'll be driving over to visit, so some "recoil therapy" on one of those trips would be awesome.

DTA would be one to look into.

I shoot mine in 4 different cals. 6.5X47 Lapua with a 26" barrel, 338BR with a 17" barrel, .338 Lapua mag with a 26" barrel and 12.7X48 (510 whisper) with a 22" barrel. I use one suppressor for the first three barrels and a dedicated can for the 510. If you want a short 50 for tossing subsonic BMG bullets or supersonics with lighter bullets this is the one to have. It suppresses very well, has no concussion to wear you out, recoil is low and you can choose to shoot subsonic heavies like the 650gr BMG types or 750-800 gr AMAX etc as well as the ability to spit out a 650gr BMG type at 1300-1400fps or a 300gr hunting slug at 2300fps. My rifle with a Nightforce 5.5X22-56 and the 510 suppressor weighs in around 17lb. In the pictures below, the flat dark earth rifle belongs to a friend. I did his 510 barrel and suppressor so its just like the one I have. The pic of the green rifle is mine with some loaded APIT ammo, the shot of the plate with a penetrator stuck in it is from an APIT that we shot at a piece of 5/16 plate at 260yds. It made it most of the way through as you can see. The incendiary charge goes off as well when hard targets are hit.
The last shot is a couple early development loads with cast bullets of 450gr compared to the APIT bullet load.

Not too far off topic but it is a 50 with a 22" barrel....

Frank

Attachments

• DT510withcanfiring.jpg
    DT510withcanfiring.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DTASRSwith12-7X48bblandammo2-1.jpg
    DTASRSwith12-7X48bblandammo2-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 38
  • AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds3.jpg
    AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 0207122100.jpg
    0207122100.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 36
I shoot mine in 4 different cals. 6.5X47 Lapua with a 26" barrel, 338BR with a 17" barrel, .338 Lapua mag with a 26" barrel and 12.7X48 (510 whisper) with a 22" barrel. I use one suppressor for the first three barrels and a dedicated can for the 510. If you want a short 50 for tossing subsonic BMG bullets or supersonics with lighter bullets this is the one to have. It suppresses very well, has no concussion to wear you out, recoil is low and you can choose to shoot subsonic heavies like the 650gr BMG types or 750-800 gr AMAX etc as well as the ability to spit out a 650gr BMG type at 1300-1400fps or a 300gr hunting slug at 2300fps. My rifle with a Nightforce 5.5X22-56 and the 510 suppressor weighs in around 17lb. In the pictures below, the flat dark earth rifle belongs to a friend. I did his 510 barrel and suppressor so its just like the one I have. The pic of the green rifle is mine with some loaded APIT ammo, the shot of the plate with a penetrator stuck in it is from an APIT that we shot at a piece of 5/16 plate at 260yds. It made it most of the way through as you can see. The incendiary charge goes off as well when hard targets are hit.
The last shot is a couple early development loads with cast bullets of 450gr compared to the APIT bullet load.

Not too far off topic but it is a 50 with a 22" barrel....

Frank

I'm really liking the DTA platform. I don't own one but am seriously looking at aquiring one after my current build is completed. I really like the ability to swap cal.'s and not loosing zero the design is the biggest thing that has me looking. It's a toss-up between them and 3 others, so many choices so little money.

Dave